Jump to content

where in the world


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

In this apparent interlude while the rightful winner is, perhaps, looking for the most obscure place possible, as a true anarchist I will give an intermediary...

Where in the world..(credit will be given to the photo once we have a winner) 

481878600_ScreenShot2021-12-08at9_22_21AM.png

Wow!

Sugar Island?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a winner!  @Raz'r you get to post the next mystery photo.   Stockton sailing club is the home of sailcamp.org, a volunteer run camp put on in the summer (well, except for the last couple

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

Ding ding ding. It is indeed the inaccurately named Mountain Lake in the inaccurately named town Mountain Lakes NJ.  (There are no mountains anywhere near this place. The name was dreamt up

Posted Images

So being a canoe sailor, this period is shortly after the consolidation of Brit and N American canoe rules and thr birth of modern canoes. Gone were the metal centerplates of the Englosh and gone were the yawl rigs of Americans.

These boats are of the Uffa Fox "Wake" shape more or less.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a great book. I purchased it a few years ago on Amazon and then kind of forgot I had it until I started this other thread about old I-14 references. I am about half way through reading and just where Sandy Douglas moved to Vermilion, OH and setup what would become D&M. All kinds of early Canoe (US and UK) history (sailing and building and integration of US and UK rules) from the first-hand experience of Douglas and Uffa Fox. Also early I-14 history on the US side via Sandy Douglas building 14's. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Martin T said:

What a history the IC has! I enjoyed researching on www.intcanoe.org for clues. I've book marked the site for further reading, so interesting.

From my perspective in reading Sandy's book, at least in the US, Canoes WERE the high performance dinghy (er, Canoe) being sailed in the US in the 1910's - 1930's; the 14's were beginning to appear in the 1930's (and, interestingly, still is in the 2010's!).

Here's another picture taken from Sandy's book of his first Canoe in 1918. It's a "sixteen-thirty" (1630); 16 feet long; 30" beam and 90 sq ft sail area or 8.36 sq meters).

992803877_ScreenShot2021-12-08at1_58_06PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

From my perspective in reading Sandy's book, at least in the US, Canoes WERE the high performance dinghy (er, Canoe) being sailed in the US in the 1910's - 1930's; the 14's were beginning to appear in the 1930's (and, interestingly, still is in the 2010's!).

Here's another picture taken from Sandy's book of his first Canoe in 1918. It's a "sixteen-thirty" (1630); 16 feet long; 30" beam and 90 sq ft sail area or 8.36 sq meters).

992803877_ScreenShot2021-12-08at1_58_06PM.png

Note that the New Rules boats today are also 30" wide.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

From my perspective in reading Sandy's book, at least in the US, Canoes WERE the high performance dinghy (er, Canoe) being sailed in the US in the 1910's - 1930's; the 14's were beginning to appear in the 1930's (and, interestingly, still is in the 2010's!).

Here's another picture taken from Sandy's book of his first Canoe in 1918. It's a "sixteen-thirty" (1630); 16 feet long; 30" beam and 90 sq ft sail area or 8.36 sq meters).

992803877_ScreenShot2021-12-08at1_58_06PM.png

Where is our erstwhile winner before I won this stand in victory? Do you know how to attach that linky thing in a post?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Where is our erstwhile winner before I won this stand in victory? 

No clue! Why don’t you give us another stand in puzzle?

Linky thing? I took a picture from the book and posted....

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Back to the rouge puzzle form Tillerman, New Zealand? Longshot as the picture could show more Aero's than could be in NZ but what the heck!

 

12 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Back to the rouge puzzle form Tillerman, New Zealand? Longshot as the picture could show more Aero's than could be in NZ but what the heck!

LOL. Nice guess, but it's not New Zealand.  You are even further away from the right answer now, but then New Zealand is further away from practically everywhere on the planet (except that big island to their west.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tillerman said:

 

LOL. Nice guess, but it's not New Zealand.  You are even further away from the right answer now, but then New Zealand is further away from practically everywhere on the planet (except that big island to their west.)

Just to avoid confusion... Spain, Phuket and New Zealand are all thousands of miles away from this location. But New Zealand is closer than Spain.

lotsofrsboatssomewhere.thumb.png.6cd745450b90c27d9a43f9235f031d84.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Hayama, Japan?

Well done @Martin T. It is indeed the 2021 RS Japan Open at Hayama last month.

Check out the video



and read all about it in Yachts and Yachting.
https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/243722/RS-Japan-Open-at-Hayama-Tokyo

This year there were a total of 39 RS boats entered including 18 RS Aeros, 7 RS Fevas, 4 RS Teras, 3 RS Zests, 2 RS Qubas, 2 RS Vareos, a RS500 and an RS700.

Give us another "where in the world" photo @Martin T.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Martin T said:

 

Just read that RS has released the Aero 6? Is this news, as it's the first i've read about it?

Yes. The idea of an RS Aero 6 has been under consideration for a long time and there has been an extensive design, trialling, testing, and consultation process within the class. After approval at the recent UK Class AGM and testing the opinions of Aero classes internationally, it is now going ahead.

The 6 rig is aimed at small adults, especially female sailors. It is felt that the 7 is too large and the 5 is too small to fully meet the needs of this demographic

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ring-a-ding ding:D

Thought the Thames Barges might give it away.

We have a friendly sort of race from our club at Maylandsea to Maldon.

Rules :- (1) to go ashore & have an ice cream or a portion of chips. (2) Have fun!

Still taken from a video I made a few years back.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Ring-a-ding ding:D

Thought the Thames Barges might give it away.

We have a friendly sort of race from our club at Maylandsea to Maldon.

Rules :- (1) to go ashore & have an ice cream or a portion of chips. (2) Have fun!

Still taken from a video I made a few years back.

 

Cool. Looks like a fun "sort of race." 

And thanks for the excellent quiz. The Thames barges combined with the distinctive church spire helped to pin it down.

And I see from the interactive map on the RS Aero class website that there is an RS Aero not very far from Maldon!

445634260_ScreenShot2021-12-09at2_54_43PM.thumb.png.a2f3a20d9dfd7df33f5db78fb8e070ad.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Somewhere in the UK; a search of "Coles" crane service yielded some interesting British industrial history but nothing to ID this body of water. 

Well done Alan. One of my reasons for posting this photo was that Coles Crane was one of the major employers in the small town in England where I grew up. Several of my relatives worked there. Who knows? That crane might have been built in my home town.

Another reason for posting this photo was that it is NOT in the UK, and it made me remember how Coles cranes were exported all over the world.

Sorry. Coles was a red herring.

It may (or may not) help people in identifying this place if I tell you that I have visited the town where the photo was taken a couple of times, but I have never sailed there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Well then, if not the UK then it's gotta be the Royal Pymatuning Boating Club in New Zealand (those open fields in the background seem to say NZ - or, maybe, Australia). 

no, its definitely the Royal Pymatuning Croe's Cranes Inc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

what does this have to do with sailing?

This is the site of a sailing club which has been active for over half a century. They have a thriving racing program, run various sail training courses and host a major regatta each year.

I found this photo in a collection of historic photos of the club. It wasn't captioned but I suspect it might be the first building erected at the club. I don't see it in more modern photos of the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Well then, if not the UK then it's gotta be the Royal Pymatuning Boating Club in New Zealand (those open fields in the background seem to say NZ - or, maybe, Australia). 

 

35 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

The terrain also could be Montana, Idaho, eastern Washington..

Not New Zealand. Not Montana, Idaho or Washington.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tillerman said:

where in the world

itswhere.jpeg.6dd81199143a5d6a2b8d83ae582a40d5.jpeg

 

9 hours ago, tillerman said:

 

Hmmm. Not quite sure why you would choose Elwood SC. It's not correct. 

Maybe you need another clue.

itswhere2.thumb.png.41f37a3b5779526e99acd654866f2ef2.png

okee dokee.

looks inland.

there be some reservoirs in the outback.

head to sailing aus website, go find a club

https://www.sailing.org.au/club-finder/

go for the places inland that have cool names, Waga Waga, Bendigo, Yarrawonga and the like.

oooh Lake Keepit in northern NSW. they have a Cool regatta. looks old enough,but not quite the vegetation.

then on to Lake Jindabyne, late 50s looks good, vegetation decent too. annual snowy mountian regatta (cancelled this year). the home bay looks good enough too. but about a 50% guess.

then we go to Victoria for Albury-Wodonga Yacht Club, on lake hume/murray river.

location looks excellent, second photo could almost be jackson's point on the map.

started 1958.

holds the annual http://www.sailcountry.com/ regatta (cancelled this year)

and you go to the gallery page and you get some pictures, clearly CATS are big here.

hcmovjx8mzxo4irl.jpg

 

bhegl5kbsv5ziwpu.jpg

 

a1qr7ijegkfdpmyd.jpg

 

and then what's this then?

2eywi0tibullfagf.jpg

 

mzqse9ya1yermtqh.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Q said:

looks like someone got the top bit of an air traffic control tower..

totally!

 

also had to show off my new software to make this task easier in future

image.png.bc4b91bc10d54f9e5be33fce2560d583.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Q said:

looks like someone got the top bit of an air traffic control tower..

Yeah, We should run a separate quiz on, "What the hell is this and why would a new sailing club need one?" Could it possibly be a place for the race committee to start races from? Or to observe sailors for safety reasons?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, shebeen said:

 

okee dokee.

looks inland.

there be some reservoirs in the outback.

head to sailing aus website, go find a club

https://www.sailing.org.au/club-finder/

go for the places inland that have cool names, Waga Waga, Bendigo, Yarrawonga and the like.

oooh Lake Keepit in northern NSW. they have a Cool regatta. looks old enough,but not quite the vegetation.

then on to Lake Jindabyne, late 50s looks good, vegetation decent too. annual snowy mountian regatta (cancelled this year). the home bay looks good enough too. but about a 50% guess.

then we go to Victoria for Albury-Wodonga Yacht Club, on lake hume/murray river.

location looks excellent, second photo could almost be jackson's point on the map.

started 1958.

holds the annual http://www.sailcountry.com/ regatta (cancelled this year)

and you go to the gallery page and you get some pictures, clearly CATS are big here.

hcmovjx8mzxo4irl.jpg

 

bhegl5kbsv5ziwpu.jpg

 

a1qr7ijegkfdpmyd.jpg

 

and then what's this then?

2eywi0tibullfagf.jpg

 

mzqse9ya1yermtqh.jpg

Well done @shebeen. That's the best sleuthing I have seen on this thread so far. I was sure I would have to give more clues because all I had really revealed (I thought) was that it is an inland club and that they host an annual regatta.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tillerman said:

 

Hmmm. Not quite sure why you would choose Elwood SC. It's not correct. 

Maybe you need another clue.

itswhere2.thumb.png.41f37a3b5779526e99acd654866f2ef2.png

It doesn't snow often in Albury Wodonga - but it does occasionally. On one of my business trips there I did actually go skiing at the weekend. The Snowy Mountains are only a short drive away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tillerman said:

 Well done @shebeen. That's the best sleuthing I have seen on this thread so far. I was sure I would have to give more clues because all I had really revealed (I thought) was that it is an inland club.

australia was an important clue too!

 

ok, don't bother reverse image searching this one, it's a screenshot of a youtube clip.

you can give either the name of the craft, the iconic bridge, or the event.

 

 

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Q said:

looks like someone got the top bit of an air traffic control tower..

I think you are right. I did discover a reference to the "control tower" in the Albury Wodonga Yacht Club newsletter from about 10 years ago.

And here is an article on the Beaumaris Yacht Club website about the duties of "control tower operators" at their club.

https://www.revolutionise.com.au/beaumarisyc/volunteersbyc/control-tower-operators/

Is this an Australian thing or do any yacht clubs in other parts of the world have a "control tower?"

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a control Box, on top of the club house

See the source image

the next club up river from us has..

See the source image

Their control box on top..

and the club to the east of us has their built in under the thatch.

See the source image

That's Horning sailing Club,  Top,

Wroxham Sailing Club,  Middle,

Hickling sailing club,  Bottom.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shebeen said:

australia was an important clue too!

 

ok, don't bother reverse image searching this one, it's a screenshot of a youtube clip.

you can give either the name of the craft, the iconic bridge, or the event.

 

 

image.png

Hood Canal Floating Bridge, Port Ludlow

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Q said:

We have a control Box, on top of the club house

See the source image

the next club up river from us has..

See the source image

Their control box on top..

and the club to the east of us has their built in under the thatch.

See the source image

That's Horning sailing Club,  Top,

Wroxham Sailing Club,  Middle,

Hickling sailing club,  Bottom.

So does the RC start and finish the races from the comfort of the control tower?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan Crawford said:

Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge 

 

nope. wrong coast

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Hood Canal Floating Bridge, Port Ludlow

does this look like a floating bridge??

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Or, Little Belt bridge.

wrong continent, but nice bridge!!

 

 

It's beer o'clock here in darkest africa, so here's some clues.

look closely at the boat, those are not outriggers.

this entry pictutred above came 18th overall, and has sail number US75 (that won't help you, well not easily i think).

to prove it belongs in dinghy anarchy, here is another entrant (who finished)

image.png.029a0095790fe5267484476cc8bbd57a.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tillerman said:


Is this an Australian thing or do any yacht clubs in other parts of the world have a "control tower?"

Both the clubs I sail at have "control towers" but we call them "race boxes". It is where one end of the start/finish line is located. The flags & signals are operated from the box where the Race Officer & their assistant operate. I think this is very normal for clubs in the UK.

HBSC clubhouse.jpg

IMG_20190106_105840.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Madness said:

R2AK, Deception park state pass bridge

Excellent,

This was actually from the WA360 event this year as covid kept it in the states but you got the bridge alright. Boat in picture is a corsair F27

 

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/06/24/wa360-more-than-a-race/

 

 

https://nwmaritime.org/wa360-teams/

 

I'm extremely satisfied a guy called @madness got this one

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tillerman said:

So does the RC start and finish the races from the comfort of the control tower?

Yep, at Wroxham, they always start and finish from the box, , there are a series of marker boards the other side of the broad, one of which is chosen for the angle of the wind, plus an arrow marker to show which way to cross the line to start and some times an outer distance marker.

At Horning they do the same with marker boards A to E the other side of the river, never need an outer distance marker, that's the river bank. If there is a North easterly then the OOD goes in a rescue boat to start 800 yards or so up river.. but then returns to the box for the finish..

Hickling , they again try to start from the box , but have a dedicated motor boat not much bigger that a rescue dory to start from if the wind is from the wrong way. The motor boat has at least a small cabin.. I sat on that boat for a 24hours race once...

Both Wroxham and Horning use course boards, each start has a separate line of boards , denoted by the class flag, then a white board with a number on for the number of Laps, then the rest of the  line is of red or green boards with numbers and letters for the course.

This means, as below on the white panel you can see on the pontoon, the OOD can set different courses for different fleets and for different race series as the wind changes. Without having to contact everyone.. we have up to 6 races series of up to 7 fleet starts in a day. Each race may last an hour..


Horning also races up on Black horse broad, for which we have this. 

black-horse-broad-in-norfolk.jpg

You can see it being pushed into place, as decided due to the wind, it's got a couple of 56lbs weights to hold it steady. It lives in one corner of the broad on a permanent mooring the rest of the time.

 

The pontoon has a small cabin of the OOD, and on the back a large cupboard on the back, for bouys with  "cupboard" toilet alongside it ain't big...

 

Unlike the clubhouse,  the OOD has to venture out to raise and lower flags.

Link to post
Share on other sites