where in the world

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

Yippee!:D

Just saw RS Aeros & thought Scandinavia because of the buildings. Trawled the RS site for Aero events & bingo there was the very picture.

I was hoping nobody would guess "Scandinavia."  Apparently the question as to whether Iceland is in Scandinavia or not is complicated. It partly depends on whether you are asking in English or one of the Nordic languages. Many people have strong views on the issue.

It is also not clear whether Iceland is in North America or Europe. Geologically it's on the place where the plates meet (hence all the volcanoes.) By most other measures - culture, language, history etc. etc. it's in Europe. Apparently they "identify" as European. But can you be a trans-European?

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a winner!  @Raz'r you get to post the next mystery photo.   Stockton sailing club is the home of sailcamp.org, a volunteer run camp put on in the summer (well, except for the last couple

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

Ding ding ding. It is indeed the inaccurately named Mountain Lake in the inaccurately named town Mountain Lakes NJ.  (There are no mountains anywhere near this place. The name was dreamt up

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Martin T said:

The sailing club was formed 10 years before there was any sailing!

Is it a reservoir based club?  

(I know of another English reservoir-based club that was formed 6 years before there was any sailing.)

11 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

What a shame losing a sailing club there.

The landlord wanted it gone ( think he ran a hotel near by maybe ?  ) so kept putting the lease up and up and up and in the end and the club went into administration and the club building were just given back to the landlord. 
He does allow some limited sailing again but it’s not a proper club as we would know it .

As you said , it’s a real shame . 

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

Loch Earn Sailing Club

Spot on . Your go again .

I’ve never sailed from this club but I have sailed past it. We had two holidays at Lochearnhead and my wife and I took our lasers and launched from the hotel slipway . It a stunning location and a terrific piece of water. Plus the weather was good and the midges were absent :D

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Martin T said:

They look like Sunfishes so probably the states.

Don't know why but I feel that's fresh water, so a lake or river.

Hot/dusty looking, desert like maybe.

Yes - they are Sunfish - well most of them are.
Yes - it is in the United Sates.
Yes - it is fresh water.
Yes - it can be hot. But it's not in the desert.

1 hour ago, Xeon said:

Spot on . Your go again .

I’ve never sailed from this club but I have sailed past it. We had two holidays at Lochearnhead and my wife and I took our lasers and launched from the hotel slipway . It a stunning location and a terrific piece of water. Plus the weather was good and the midges were absent :D

Looks like a gorgeous place to sail.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, tillerman said:

where in the world

252167138_whereintheworldaerialview.thumb.png.4c7be2e5343fcd1e1bc005f4dc0b50c4.png

Clue: Although this club appears to be a near 100% Sunfish club today, it wasn't always so. It dates back to long before the launch of the Sunfish, and other classes were still racing here (along with Sunfish) in the late 19th century.

Red herring: RS Aeros have sailed here too. This fact will likely be of no help in solving the puzzle.

20 hours ago, tillerman said:

where in the world

252167138_whereintheworldaerialview.thumb.png.4c7be2e5343fcd1e1bc005f4dc0b50c4.png

assuming this satellite photo is north up, then due to the shadows this is in the northern hemisphere.

but we already knew that from the clues.

beyond that,I've got nothing

15 minutes ago, shebeen said:

assuming this satellite photo is north up, then due to the shadows this is in the northern hemisphere.

but we already knew that from the clues.

beyond that,I've got nothing

It is in the northern hemisphere.

2 minutes ago, tillerman said:

It is indeed. What led you to that conclusion?

i was looking through some past youth north americans results:)... and I noticed how many of the sailors were from NJ so I threw that out there to help narrow it down. BTW, that was a singularly useless clue you gave us, the only results I could find where all won by south americans

1 minute ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

i was looking through some past youth north americans results:)... and I noticed how many of the sailors were from NJ so I threw that out there to help narrow it down. BTW, that was a singularly useless clue you gave us, the only results I could find where all won by south americans

Interesting. Keep looking! There really was a Junior NA champion from this club

And at least two sailors from this club have placed in the top 10 at Sunfish Worlds.

4 minutes ago, lofty said:

Green Pond, Greenwood Lake?

Lake Hopatcong?

Good guesses. All three lakes have been used for regattas by the Sailing Association of North Jersey Lakes, and some of the best sailors in SANJL have come from the mystery club. But none of those three is the correct answer.

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

packanack lake SC?

Welcome back. you are getting warm. But that is not the right answer. Doesn't anybody think of using Google to take an aerial view of suggested answers?

highland lakes?

Another one of the lakes which is often part of the SANJL  regatta series. But they have a very nice clubhouse. Can you see a clubhouse in the mystery photo?

Smoke Rise?

Another one of the north Jersey lakes with a strong Sunfish fleet. In many ways the arch rivals of the fleet at the lake with a beach on an island. So, no. Wrong answer.

2 hours ago, lofty said:

If I'm correct, please don't ask me to post a location.

I don't have any pics but loved the challenge!

Well, I'm sorry but it's in the Unwritten Rules Section 3.1.5.(k) that if you win you have to post a photo. 

3 hours ago, lofty said:

Mountain Lake

Ding ding ding.

It is indeed the inaccurately named Mountain Lake in the inaccurately named town Mountain Lakes NJ. 

(There are no mountains anywhere near this place. The name was dreamt up by the original developer of the town 100 years ago.)

But it is the home of Mountain Lakes Sailing Association which sails on Mountain Lake and whose only home on land is the very accurately named Island Beach which you see in the aerial photo at the start of this challenge,

As per the Unwritten Rules it is your job to post the next mystery photo @lofty. Unless, of course, you invoke section 7.g.65 paragraph j9 of the Unwritten Rules by nominating the person who posted the most wrong answers to the latest challenge, whom I believe is @Admiral Hornblower.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, tillerman said:

2080957432_ScreenShot2021-12-17at7_00_02PM.thumb.png.bc34cf2a23cd5fad18729e78421ecfac.png

They have been sailing small boats on this lake for the best part of 100 years - so it wasn't always Sunfish.

My father sailed a sponson canoe back in the late 20s. Looke a lot like that but had sponsons. I remember the boat. But someone gave it to someone else without asking me first so no idea where it went.

11 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I think we can say this was the most long standing photo yet. Congratulations Tillermen, you have just  received the MLSPA (Most Long Standing Photo Award)!!!

I think it would be have been impossible without any clues. But it still seemed to take a long time even once it was established that we were looking for a Sunfish fleet on one of the north Jersey lakes which had spawned some world class Sunfish sailors. A scan through results of SANJL regattas would have produced a shortlist of clubs, which could be winnowed down by looking at satellite views on Google maps. 

On the other hand the club is not what it was when I sailed there in the late 1900s. In recent years MLSA has been more about running a summer sailing camp for kids than hosting a competitive adult Sunfish racing fleet. I understood that adult racing died out for a while but the website seems to indicate that there was an attempt this year to revive that aspect.

23 hours ago, tillerman said:

Ding ding ding.

It is indeed the inaccurately named Mountain Lake in the inaccurately named town Mountain Lakes NJ. 

(There are no mountains anywhere near this place. The name was dreamt up by the original developer of the town 100 years ago.)

But it is the home of Mountain Lakes Sailing Association which sails on Mountain Lake and whose only home on land is the very accurately named Island Beach which you see in the aerial photo at the start of this challenge,

As per the Unwritten Rules it is your job to post the next mystery photo @lofty. Unless, of course, you invoke section 7.g.65 paragraph j9 of the Unwritten Rules by nominating the person who posted the most wrong answers to the latest challenge, whom I believe is @Admiral Hornblower.

Can't believe that was so hard to spot! That island stands out like a sore thumb & I spent quite a while on Google maps looking at little lakes...lol