where in the world

27 minutes ago, tillerman said:

LLaregyb

The answer is revealed in Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas...

You can hear the dew falling, and the hushed town breathing.
Only your eyes are unclosed to see the black and folded
town fast, and slow, asleep. And you alone can hear the
invisible starfall, the darkest-beforedawn minutely dewgrazed
stir of the black, dab-filled sea where the Arethusa, the
Curlew and the Skylark, Zanzibar, Rhiannon, the Rover,
the Cormorant, and the Star of Wales tilt and ride.

if that's the correct answer then I am going to be out of my depth here for quite a while

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a winner!  @Raz'r you get to post the next mystery photo.   Stockton sailing club is the home of sailcamp.org, a volunteer run camp put on in the summer (well, except for the last couple

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

Ding ding ding. It is indeed the inaccurately named Mountain Lake in the inaccurately named town Mountain Lakes NJ.  (There are no mountains anywhere near this place. The name was dreamt up

Posted Images

1 minute ago, shebeen said:

if that's the correct answer then I am going to be out of my depth here for quite a while

I am always out of my depth in here. 

And another thing, how (and why) did those people in the photo paint the name of their boat as a mirror image.

4 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

getting even warmer...

before i go down a mousehole to every single tiny port/bay and rock on the west cornish peninsula, I'm going to dabble with newlyn harbour, cornwall

14 minutes ago, shebeen said:

before i go down a mousehole to every single tiny port/bay and rock on the west cornish peninsula, I'm going to dabble with newlyn harbour, cornwall

Mousehole

• Like 1

I'm logging off for beer o'clock now, so if I'm right it can go to tillerman

I found the actual picture, it is the cover of this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Cornwall-Reg-Watkiss/dp/1841143650/ref=sr_1_3?qid=1642171471&refinements=p_27%3AReg+Watkiss&s=books&sr=1-3&text=Reg+Watkiss

the top picture is the Penzance promenade 1906.

the most dinghy sailing there now seems to be centred around Falmouth, hence my first guess. beyond that, what a time to be alive!

1 hour ago, shebeen said:

no

54 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Mousehole

no

2 hours ago, Martin T said:

My turn again already...lol.:blink:  I'm enjoying this thread, a distraction from normal everyday life.:D

Where in the world...

larn2.JPG

STOP GETTING RABBIT STARTS WRONG!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Martin T said:

My turn again already...lol.:blink:  I'm enjoying this thread, a distraction from normal everyday life.:D

Where in the world...

larn2.JPG

La Rochelle

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Martin T said:

Where in the world...

larn2.JPG

Rijeka, Croatia

23 hours ago, Martin T said:

Where in the world...

larn2.JPG

Larnaca, Cyprus

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Correct!

For a bonus point:- What's in the tanks, who owns them & what brand of paint did they use on them?...:P

The tanks are no longer there. They were demolished in 2021.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/22/once-all-storage-tanks-removed-larnaca-will-have-no-need-to-envy-any-other-city/

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Don't know why random guess, Ukraine?

I don't know why you guessed Ukraine either? Maybe because it's in the  news this week?

It's not Ukraine.

11 minutes ago, Martin T said:

The boats look like Lasers but the symbol on the sails are wrong. I remember Russia made a snide Laser, so maybe. Also the building look soviet block.

Good work. Can't disagree with anything you say. 
But "soviet block" was a big place...

1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

apparently the boat is called the the ''Luch"

Well done! It is indeed Astrakhan in south-eastern Russia.

The Luch appears to have an open transom and will likely self-bail much faster than a Laser does. Some readers may remember it had its 15 minutes of fame on Sailing Anarchy back in 2018.

Over to you @Admiral Hornblower

17 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Why are there so many of these cantilever bridges that look almost the same as each other?  Are they recycling the same plans for every new bridge? Where is the American spirit of innovation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/

Good question! This particular bridge was built, I think, in the 1930's not that that helps "where in the world"...

17 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Why are there so many of these cantilever bridges that look almost the same as each other?  Are they recycling the same plans for every new bridge? Where is the American spirit of innovation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/

Try looking at the piers instead of the trusses.

• Like 1

Sewickly, PA, on the Ohio River near Pittsburgh? There's a launching ramp on the east side of the river there, near the bridge. 

31 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Sewickly, PA, on the Ohio River near Pittsburgh? There's a launching ramp on the east side of the river there, near the bridge. 

Love Pittsburgh...

42 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Glover Cary Bridge in Owensboro, Kentucky.

Winner!!! Good job!

And, that's me in the picture, which was taken in 1983 or 1984 and appeared on the front page of the local paper.

46 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Winner!!! Good job!

And, that's me in the picture, which was taken in 1983 or 1984 and appeared on the front page of the local paper.

Amazing.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I have never been to Ownesboro, Kentucky. Actually never even heard of it until this evening. The bridge is actually painted blue.

1920px-Blue_Bridge_in_snow_(cropped).thumb.jpeg.1285910f10cac559d573bfb238961c2c.jpeg

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

Not many people know that Johnny Depp was born in Owensboro.

I know this one - Port Royal, Jamaica, Caribbeaan

9 hours ago, tillerman said:

Amazing.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

I have never been to Ownesboro, Kentucky. Actually never even heard of it until this evening. The bridge is actually painted blue.

1920px-Blue_Bridge_in_snow_(cropped).thumb.jpeg.1285910f10cac559d573bfb238961c2c.jpeg

And apparently I can't even spell the place name properly.