where in the world

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a winner!  @Raz'r you get to post the next mystery photo.   Stockton sailing club is the home of sailcamp.org, a volunteer run camp put on in the summer (well, except for the last couple

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I should add that we had a rather more conventional Ovington Benedict IV 1242 which we took too the St Francis Worlds, we ended up 30th out of 120 and I still regard this as the best week of Dinghy Ra

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Not NJ, still too far North but the correct ocean.

I think there was a Laser National's or NA's at this location well after I had moved away.

I did a Laser US Nationals at Wrightsville Beach. 2005 I think. Would that be the answer?

Yes!

This picture was taken on the "sound" side (Banks Channel in local vernacular) of Wrightsville Beach. The Carolina Yacht Club (probably hosted the Laser US Nationals; also hosted a Fireball Worlds in the 1970's) docks would be on the shore just out of the picture, lookers right. 

Did you sail off the beach for the Laser Nationals or go around through the inlet? Great sailing location with nice sea breeze and big swells.

4 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Yes!

This picture was taken on the "sound" side (Banks Channel in local vernacular) of Wrightsville Beach. The Carolina Yacht Club (probably hosted the Laser US Nationals; also hosted a Fireball Worlds in the 1970's) docks would be on the shore just out of the picture, lookers right. 

Did you sail off the beach for the Laser Nationals or go around through the inlet? Great sailing location with nice sea breeze and big swells.

Amazing. Another nut for the lucky squirrel.

The 2005 Nationals were hosted by Carolina YC. As I recall, we had to wheel our Lasers across a road to launch into the "sound" and sailed out through the inlet. There was one day when it was very windy and racing was cancelled because it was judged too unsafe to sail out through the inlet.

Yeah - I learned a lot about sailing in ocean swells that week!

True it’s a little USA centric at the moment , but it’s just a likely to turn again and it’s could be somewhere in South Africa or Australia or  even a tiny gravel pit club in the m3 corridor :D

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Looks like the Blausteinsee, in Eschweiler, Germany. Near the Belgian and Holland border northeast of Aachen.  Not easy to find.  The round thing is an observation deck. https://www.blausteinsee.com/seebuehne/

Correct. Well done @PaulK.

I chose to highlight the Blausteinsee because it is reportedly the site of the first ever RS Aero regatta in Germany back in October 2015. As we hosted the first RS Aero regatta east of the Rockies in North America at my lake club, Massapoag YC, in Massachusetts in 2015 I felt some kinship to these German Aero pioneers!

810613735(1).jpg

Here is the regatta report by Christian Brandt...

First German RS AERO regatta Blausteinsee, 
3./4. October 2015

Although originally RS AERO racing was planned to start in 2016 the first RS AERO regatta in Germany took place over the weekend 3./4. October 2015 at Blausteinsee as part of the Bauhaus Cup. Racing was held together with the Open Bic class keeping the average age of the sailors down a bit emwink.gif .

With a lot of sunshine but only little wind the socal side of the weekend was bigger than the pure racing. In the end 6 races were sailed and there was the feeling to come back next year with more boats and more wind. 

Eschweiler is very close to the Dutch border it would be really easy for Dutch & Belgian sailors to join! Nice landscape, free camping and a very social atmosphere.

The German RS Aero Class has come a long way since those days with 13-15 ranking regattas every year attracting 12-20 sailors at each event.
https://www.rssailing.com/joining-the-best-single-handed-racing-class/?fbclid=IwAR3JefCOy7c0lsCmwb9FomhODUl_vH9Ih9t6PKan0fyMLSkBCz2-g8tzQmU

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Looks like the Blausteinsee, in Eschweiler, Germany. Near the Belgian and Holland border northeast of Aachen.  Not easy to find.  The round thing is an observation deck. https://www.blausteinsee.com/seebuehne/

seebuhne.jpeg.c3e214291d35170bb8e3f8df1490c481.jpeg
The seebühne does indeed seem to be a convenient place to watch the sailing

But google seebühne (which means a stage on a lake) and you will find numerous examples in Germany and Austria - some much more elaborate than the one at Blausteinsee. They appear to be used for all sorts of musical, operatic and theatrical performances.

Here is a video of a "rock celebration" on the Blausteinsee seebühne.

Martin has it!  Frostbiting started at Pequot in 1932, switching to Dyer Dhows in 1966.  Two divisions allow for learners to grow in one and experts to hone their skills in the other.  There is an Ice Cube Trophy for members of the swimming team. The harbor may freeze over this weekend, so racing Sunday could be canceled. 

The brick clubhouses at Pequot were originally onion warehouses - two of perhaps a half dozen that lined the harbor in the 1800's.  Southport Globe Onions were sent to New York markets by boat, making this harbor one of the busiest between New York and Boston.  They are still available

https://www.smartgardener.com/plants/3438-onion-southport-white-globe/overview 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, dburchfiel said:

I haven't been able to identify any of the previous places so i"m cheating and jumping in anyway.

19780663-EABD-4964-A82B-FEFA25A868B6.thumb.jpeg.ec5ef3e13034785cd0fe09be5736028e.jpeg

A place where beautiful port tack starts are made... I'm guessing a lake in central North Carolina...

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

A place where beautiful port tack starts are made... I'm guessing a lake in central North Carolina...

- DSK

Not too hard to port tack start a fleet of Flying Scots with a 505.  Twice the sail area, half the wetted surface and 1/4 the weight? Guy behind him is going to get clobbered. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, PaulK said:

All right then!  In keeping with the season:CPCY0484.thumb.JPG.068147a7f091278978f8ca53872d6973.JPG

I thought for sure it was Mystic, CT...

I always remember Pequot at low tide, clearly that must be a high tide pic!

45 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I thought for sure it was Mystic, CT...

I always remember Pequot at low tide, clearly that must be a high tide pic!

Tacking out of the harbor at low tide, especially in an Atlantic or Soling, does have a way of focusing your attention.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, dburchfiel said:

I haven't been able to identify any of the previous places so i"m cheating and jumping in anyway.

19780663-EABD-4964-A82B-FEFA25A868B6.thumb.jpeg.ec5ef3e13034785cd0fe09be5736028e.jpeg

Lake Murray sailing club

16 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

I think @tillerman got the port start 5o5 one

15 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I actually think I got it...<_<

There's no dispute that @Martin T got the Pequot one (and @dburchfiel hasn't responded to any of the guesses on his 505 port tack start) - so why don't you post the next photo @Martin T.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:
18 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I actually think I got it...<_<

Def got the club but there are 2 lakes we sail. Kerr has the generally steeper shoreline

That's why I said his answer was a "who" not a "where."

- DSK

• Like 1
On 1/22/2022 at 11:24 AM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Aye. do you remember us sailing there one new years day with glassy water and a 5kt wind shear, you in a Johnson 18 and me in a 470?

On 1/22/2022 at 11:24 AM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

It's easy to Port tack the fleet when it's the fastest boat and the line favors it.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, PaulK said:

Not too hard to port tack start a fleet of Flying Scots with a 505.  Twice the sail area, half the wetted surface and 1/4 the weight? Guy behind him is going to get clobbered. 

Yes, easy to port tack but the FS has more upwind sail area and getting stuck on the line between 2 of them can be a challenge for the first few minutes of a race.

12 minutes ago, dburchfiel said:
On 1/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, PaulK said:

Yes, easy to port tack but the FS has more upwind sail area and getting stuck on the line between 2 of them can be a challenge for the first few minutes of a race.

That's when a good roll tack can really make the difference!

- DSK

35 minutes ago, dburchfiel said:

Aye. do you remember us sailing there one new years day with glassy water and a 5kt wind shear, you in a Johnson 18 and me in a 470?

Oh yes. One of the best New Years sails ever! It was also a good comparison between the two very different boats. Impressive to see you singlehanded spin+trap. Was it really so long ago?

- DSK

27 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Oh yes. One of the best New Years sails ever! It was also a good comparison between the two very different boats. Impressive to see you singlehanded spin+trap. Was it really so long ago?

- DSK

Well I got out of the 470 and into the 505 18 years ago so it's been awhile.  BTW the 505 is way easier to single hand from the wire and set the spinnaker than the 470 because of the dual pole lazy sheet/guy system we use.  I can't sail it that way in 15-20 like I could the 470.  12 kts. fully de powered is the max. The 5oh is also way more difficult to right single handed as well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dburchfiel said:

Well I got out of the 470 and into the 505 18 years ago so it's been awhile.  BTW the 505 is way easier to single hand from the wire and set the spinnaker than the 470 because of the dual pole lazy sheet/guy system we use.  I can't sail it that way in 15-20 like I could the 470.  12 kts. fully de powered is the max. The 5oh is also way more difficult to right single handed as well.

Ah! The singlhanded righting thing! YES. But, as long as you get some errant line over the gunwale, it becomes a piece of cake! The last time I singlehanded with spin (single pole mind you) in my 505 was 50 years ago. I capsized off Guilford and it happened to be when a bunch of cruising boats were coming in from some race. There were some helpful concerned sailors offering me a hand but I waved them off with a thankful smile, and found that errant spinnaker sheet, got some weight into it, clambored onto the board and went back to sailing instead of flailing.

2 hours ago, tillerman said:

where in the world

sex.thumb.jpeg.2c16d87a116c826133d7ae7a75056e59.jpeg

CRSA at Cave Run Lake , Kentucky?

Except 2nd from right looks like he could be a kiki?

39 minutes ago, shebeen said:

wessex sailing club, southampton, 

Don't think so, Wessex SC is the Southampton Uni Club which actually sails at Southampton Sailing Club

001-2.jpg

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a pontoon boat in the UK. So somewhere in the USA is my guess. 

Hundreds of clubs on lakes and rivers from NJ to Alabama use pontoons.....we'll get there......even if we have to grind him down one by one.  The railing is red which eliminates six that i have looked at so far.  I will publish the list i have eliminated. This might have to be a team effort.

We'll get the bastard.  Dont give in.

6 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Hundreds of clubs on lakes and rivers from NJ to Alabama use pontoons.....we'll get there......even if we have to grind him down one by one.  The railing is red which eliminates six that i have looked at so far.  I will publish the list i have eliminated. This might have to be a team effort.

We'll get the bastard.  Dont give in.

Excellent deduction. It is indeed in the USA. And it's in pontoon boat country.
But where is "pontoon boat country?" You say New Jersey to Alabama. But my lake club in Massachusetts uses a pontoon boat as our race committee boat, so pontoon boat country may be even bigger than you think.

As for "grinding him down" or "getting the bastard" I am always willing to give clues and some of them may actually be helpful.

Clue #1 - the club is not in a county that ends with -sex.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I think if I hadn't spoiled your party Tillermen, this one might have never been guessed:D

LOL. I knew you knew the club. You even commented in another thread about it being your favorite place to sail. So that's OK.

We had been talking about Pymatuning in here. I had even started guessing Pyamtuning as a way to provoke random clues in the responses. So I thought why not post one of the Pymatuning clubs as the mystery photo? And when I found that photo on the PSC FB page it was too good to miss.

Over to you @Admiral Hornblower.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tillerman said:
3 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I think if I hadn't spoiled your party Tillermen, this one might have never been guessed:D

LOL. I knew you knew the club. You even commented in another thread about it being your favorite place to sail. So that's OK.

We had been talking about Pymatuning in here. I had even started guessing Pyamtuning as a way to provoke random clues in the responses. So I thought why not post one of the Pymatuning clubs as the mystery photo? And when I found that photo on the PSC FB page it was too good to miss.

Over to you @Admiral Hornblower.

OK, but first you have to tell us what course SEX is.

And don't say "read the Sailing Instructions" because they never talk about the good stuff like this

- DSK

3 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

LOL:lol:.  Pymatuning sailing club. I've seen this pic dozen's of times, every time I go on their Facebook page.  How did you happen upon it though?

Do they still have all those carp that pile up by the spillway where everyone goes to feed them old bread?

21 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

LOL:lol:.  Pymatuning sailing club. I've seen this pic dozen's of times, every time I go on their Facebook page.  How did you happen upon it though?

that's pretty funny.

so did we work out what the SEX sign means?

1 hour ago, shebeen said:
22 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

that's pretty funny.

so did we work out what the SEX sign means?

I think it means the course is:

in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out... and you cannot go more than 11" from the start/finish line

- DSK

• Like 2