where in the world

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a winner!  @Raz'r you get to post the next mystery photo.   Stockton sailing club is the home of sailcamp.org, a volunteer run camp put on in the summer (well, except for the last couple

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I should add that we had a rather more conventional Ovington Benedict IV 1242 which we took too the St Francis Worlds, we ended up 30th out of 120 and I still regard this as the best week of Dinghy Ra

Posted Images

4 hours ago, tillerman said:

where in the world

where99.thumb.png.ea9cc0c2721a883760489efb31bc726b.png

i tried to go down the narangsett bay lighthouse wormhole.

I came back with more answers than i started, my word you guys take your lighthouses seriously over there

https://www.nelights.com/about/lighthouse_contact.html#gsc.tab=0

https://www.rhodeislandbaycruises.com/Rhode_Island_Lighthouses.htm

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

feel like the lighthouse might be the Conaicut Island lighthouse

This is a picture of the Conanicut Island lighthouse.

cil.jpeg.e4675c0369d4ecca017bd17742188451.jpeg

It is not in the mystery photo.

where99.thumb.png.5725104b814a40c2c4cdca79c34310a8.png

But you are getting warm.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shebeen said:

i tried to go down the narangsett bay lighthouse wormhole.

I came back with more answers than i started, my word you guys take your lighthouses seriously over there

https://www.nelights.com/about/lighthouse_contact.html#gsc.tab=0

https://www.rhodeislandbaycruises.com/Rhode_Island_Lighthouses.htm

That second link might help in your research.

3 minutes ago, tillerman said:

That second link might help in your research.

image.png.8b76370ef3b209ede35f06eccec510b7.png

not much to go on really, bu tI'm saying now that is the dutch island light house, so the picture must be taken looking west from the now dutch harbour boatyard

looks different now

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4980758,-71.3841101,3a,75y,263h,94.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se6OdRq9XNWLA5LQ6DANr2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Most of the answers above are in the totally wrong part of Narragansett Bay.

where99.thumb.png.0b808cccae45365f1b1c5d6a3f3d1848.png

The mystery photo is actually of a place which will be very familiar to most people who have done any sailing on Narragansett Bay. But the shot is from an unusual angle. And there's something about the photo that makes it look different from what it almost certainly looked like when you sailed past this spot.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shebeen said:

image.png.8b76370ef3b209ede35f06eccec510b7.png

not much to go on really, bu tI'm saying now that is the dutch island light house, so the picture must be taken looking west from the now dutch harbour boatyard

looks different now

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4980758,-71.3841101,3a,75y,263h,94.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se6OdRq9XNWLA5LQ6DANr2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not Dutch Island Lighthouse.

5 minutes ago, tillerman said:

The mystery photo is actually of a place which will be very familiar to most people who have done any sailing on Narragansett Bay. But the shot is from an unusual angle. And there's something about the photo that makes it look different from what it almost certainly looked like when you sailed past this spot.

Exactly!   Which iscwhy it all looks familiar and yet i am flimmoxed!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, tillerman said:

you do realise each time you repost exactly the same image it gets easier?!

The answer I am looking for is the place in the foreground - not the name of that fuzzy, grey tower in the background. Although I suppose if you correctly guess the latter, it will be easy to deduce the former. 
where99.thumb.png.05da2f048d8818cae985646f13a16a06.png

19 minutes ago, eliboat said:

funny.  I looked this morning and immediately thought that looked like a view from Jamestown over towards Newport 

I also thought it could similarly be a view from ft Adams from where Sail Newport is now. 

I agree more with your first statement than the second one. The view of the Point neighborhood of Newport and Goat Island from Jamestown must look a lot like this. Unless something was in the way.

1613182976_ScreenShot2021-11-05at2_19_30PM.png.4c26be90613dbd0b3982980ec9732762.png

18 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Rose Island?

Rose island.JPG

Correct. Well done @Martin T.

It is indeed the southern shore of  Rose Island - one of the most well-known landmarks in the sailing capital of the world.

Maybe this view from a slightly different angle would have been easier to guess?

1791643975_roseisland.jpeg.65be8b9d2cb9c5c8eed8736fd9b567b3.jpeg

The occasion of the original photo was the 50th anniversary of the Sunfish class in 2000. As part of the celebrations a whole shoal of Sunfish sailed over from Sail Newprt and landed on Rose Island. There was a magnificent lunch on the island. There was a mini-regatta with the prize for the winner being an entry to the Sunfish Words, which was won by some ringer called John Kolius. There was a parade of Sunfish on the Newport waterfront which was cut short by a violent thunderstorm as we all scuttled back to Fort Adams as fast as we could. 

Congratulations @Martin T. It's your turn to post the next "where in the world" mystery photo.

13 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Correct. Well done @Martin T.

It is indeed the southern shore of  Rose Island - one of the most well-known landmarks in the sailing capital of the world.

Maybe this view from a slightly different angle would have been easier to guess?

1791643975_roseisland.jpeg.65be8b9d2cb9c5c8eed8736fd9b567b3.jpeg

The occasion of the original photo was the 50th anniversary of the Sunfish class in 2000. As part of the celebrations a whole shoal of Sunfish sailed over from Sail Newprt and landed on Rose Island. There was a magnificent lunch on the island. There was a mini-regatta with the prize for the winner being an entry to the Sunfish Words, which was won by some ringer called John Kolius. There was a parade of Sunfish on the Newport waterfront which was cut short by a violent thunderstorm as we all scuttled back to Fort Adams as fast as we could. 

Congratulations @Martin T. It's your turn to post the next "where in the world" mystery photo.

Shit I should have known that!  I’ve stayed overnight in the lighthouse a few times with my wife.  Love that place. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, eliboat said:

Shit I should have known that!  I’ve stayed overnight in the lighthouse a few times with my wife.  Love that place. 

Yep. I'm feeling dumb. I looked at Rose Island mutliple times and said, "naw, thats not it.
" Did the same thing in Bristol! HAHAHAHA

• Like 1

The clues gave it away! Never heard of the place but looks a great sailing area.

I haven't time to find a picture at the moment, got to head down to the club. First two races of our winter series today. I'll post something when I get back.

Cheers

• Like 2
On 11/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, tillerman said:

Winters can be very cold. The harbor froze over one year. But it is a very civilized frostbite fleet. We don't sail if the temp is below 20 Fahrenheit. Rhode Island has a very strong tradition of frostbiting with several Laser and Sunfish (and other classes) dotted around the state.

Full disclosure  - that photo of Aeros on the lawn was taken at a late October pre-frostbite season regatta at Bristol YC a few years ago.

I just watched this documentary 

I had no idea people actually sailed in weather like that, it's bloody insane!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

I just watched this documentary 

I had no idea people actually sailed in weather like that, it's bloody insane!

I sailed with the Newport Laser fleet for many winters. Before that I did Laser frostbiting at Cedar Point YC in CT. Won the Ironman trophy one year for the sailor who finished the most races in the season. But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

I knew that was too easy! I see that house ever time I sail. Thought the blue sky might throw people...lol.

Quick fact about the house: It was built by Frederick Charrington of "Charringtons Brewery" as a retreat for alcoholics & the channel marker buoy in front of the house is named "Doctor" as apparently local fishermen used to tie bottles of booze to it & the patients used to row out to it for their fix.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Martin T said:

I knew that was too easy! I see that house ever time I sail. Thought the blue sky might throw people...lol.

Quick fact about the house: It was built by Frederick Charrington of "Charringtons Brewery" as a retreat for alcoholics & the channel marker buoy in front of the house is named "Doctor" as apparently local fishermen used to tie bottles of booze to it & the patients used to row out to it for their fix.

Yeah, the blue sky threw me off course for a while. I don't remember the sky ever looking like that in England.

I, like many other RS Aero sailors around the world, have been following the adventures of Ken Fowler and his RS Aero, Yodare. In 2017 he sailed the whole length of Great Britain from Lands End to John o'Groats in an RS Aero to raise money for charity. More recently he has circumnavigated over 200 islands of England and Wales, also to raise money for a good cause.

Here is Ken sailing his RS Aero around Osea Island.
1537779753_ScreenShot2021-11-07at3_39_19PM.thumb.png.309e8d80baf393d0e9745e5968728286.png

And here is an account on the Marconi Sailing Club website of Ken's sail around Osea... Yodare at MSC. Is that your club @Martin T?

And a YouTube video of the day.

Also check out Ken's website https://yodare.co.uk

Now where in the world shall I go for the next mystery photo?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

oTS NOT oX bRIDGE NEITHER

You are correct. It's not Oxbridge. Is that even a real place? I always thought it was a shorthand way of saying "Oxford and Cambridge."

Talking of Oxford, here is a photo of some RS Aeros racing in the winter of 2018 at Oxford Sailing Club (which, confusingly, is not in Oxford.) As you can see the mystery photo is not of Oxford SC.

yysw192485.jpeg.47d9b6067f134f1c9a7626d546d4b003.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tillerman said:

where in the world

1999130936_ScreenShot2021-11-07at5_00_39PM.thumb.png.582c589716ce0537a8ffd71461cfee4a.png

this seems to be the sunfish and Rs Aero thread. 

I'm going with new york, NY, USA. 

because there's sunfish, skrscrpaers and a unique looking tower

• Like 2

Waterbury CT?

(Oxbridge hahaha--Tiller you are correct. That is what it stands for. I couldn't help my self with puns yesterday. And I traveled all up and down the River Charles and could not find that spot. So I said to myself, after finding a non matching bridge and a nonmatching tower, fuckit, I'm saying it anyway.")

3 hours ago, shebeen said:

this seems to be the sunfish and Rs Aero thread. 

I'm going with new york, NY, USA. 

because there's sunfish, skrscrpaers and a unique looking tower

It does seem that Sunfish and RS Aeros are everywhere doesn't it? And there are Aeros in NY state and even in NYC. But I'll save those photos for another day because the mystery photo is not NYC.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, tillerman said:

1537779753_ScreenShot2021-11-07at3_39_19PM.thumb.png.309e8d80baf393d0e9745e5968728286.png

And here is an account on the Marconi Sailing Club website of Ken's sail around Osea... Yodare at MSC. Is that your club @Martin T?

That's only the second RS Aero i've ever seen on the Blackwater! They're not popular in these parts.

No Marconi's not my club. I'm based a couple of miles down the creek near Maylandsea. https://www.harlow-blackwater-sailing-club.com/

6 hours ago, tillerman said:

Not Waterbury CT. Wrong tower.

1979627404_waterburyuniontower.jpeg.3613fe871768f36c396d9913f08a0f34.jpeg

The Seth Thomas Clocktower at Union Station in Waterbury, CT, was designed by McKim, Mead & White and built in 1909.  Alcort made Sunfish in Waterbury CT.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, PaulK said:

The Seth Thomas Clocktower at Union Station in Waterbury, CT, was designed by McKim, Mead & White and built in 1909.  Alcort made Sunfish in Waterbury CT.

All true. But the mystery photo was not taken in Waterbury,

In any case, blowing up the photo shows "the boat building".  An elliptical building that housed the Phoenix Insurance Co. in Hartford, CT.  The Sunfish are sailing on the Connecticut River in Hartford.  You don't usually see boats out there much. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Martin T said:

Looks like a long distance race as it looks like they have baggage aboard or maybe a cruise in company.

Well spotted @Martin T. It is indeed a long distance race. I wonder where in the world they used to have  a race like that?

2 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Well spotted @Martin T. It is indeed a long distance race. I wonder where in the world they used to have  a race like that?

At least they're headed downstream.  With that breeze it would be a long trip otherwise

26 minutes ago, PaulK said:

In any case, blowing up the photo shows "the boat building".  An elliptical building that housed the Phoenix Insurance Co. in Hartford, CT.  The Sunfish are sailing on the Connecticut River in Hartford.  You don't usually see boats out there much. 

Ding ding ding! @PaulK has the right answer. It is Hartford CT.

And, as I write,@Martin T has correctly identified the event - the Sunfish Classic Long Distance Connecticut River Race - the 1979 edition to be precise.

As @PaulK was the first to mention Hartford, he has won the rights to post the next "where in the world" picture.

Was it the CT River Classic, a two day race down the CT river in Sunfish? It used to be run by the Old Saybrook Lions club and it ran from Hartford to the mouth of the river, with overnight camping at a state park.

4 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Was it the CT River Classic, a two day race down the CT river in Sunfish? It used to be run by the Old Saybrook Lions club and it ran from Hartford to the mouth of the river, with overnight camping at a state park.

Yes! Well done!

• Like 1

My GOD!  I raced in that!!!!!!!

Now I feel exceedingly stupid.

Well okay onlylhaf stupid. I only did the later version rin by Snowguy from Operahouse tocBaldwin birdge

And yes in utter desperatiom i said Waterbury bc home of the sfish. I just hoped theree was somr nonbrick nonflorentine tower hiding next to one of rhose ceazy overpasses i never see from beloe

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

My GOD!  I raced in that!!!!!!!

Now I feel exceedingly stupid.

Well okay onlylhaf stupid. I only did the later version rin by Snowguy from Operahouse tocBaldwin birdge

And yes in utter desperatiom i said Waterbury bc home of the sfish. I just hoped theree was somr nonbrick nonflorentine tower hiding next to one of rhose ceazy overpasses i never see from beloe

What has happened to this race? I saw that LaserPerformance was sponsoring some shorter version for multiple dinghy classes. Did that ever happen? I think one  year it was blown off. And then there was covid. Will it ever run again?

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Besides Optis and C420's, this club also has a surprisingly large fleet of Etchells. 

IMG_9970.JPG

The sky is blue so it's not in England.

It has lots of Etchells so it's probably somewhere I have never been.

That narrows it down a bit...

Wild guess. Lake Champlain Yacht Club.

6 minutes ago, tillerman said:

The sky is blue so it's not in England.

Sorry to disappoint... photo of Brighton, in East Sussex, England.  Sky is not photoshopped.   

IMG_5555.JPG

• Like 1

Shelter Island's dock formed a "T" the last time we were there, not an "L".  The harbor in Shelter Island is also much smaller than this, and more landlocked.  Tillerman has picked the right club.  It's not located in Portland, ME, however.  It's in Falmouth.  Shades of Harbor Court?  Unlike NYYC it's BYOB and very busy almost all the time. Take it away Tillerman! 

• Like 1

no tidal range: docks all seem fixed pilings.  Not many European cars; East Coast would probably have more than show here. What about Minnesota?