Charlie Watts - DTS

Had tix to last year's cancelled Austin COA show.  Had a feeling one of them wouldn't make it due to COVID, but apparently CW has had other health issues and recently underwent what was termed "a successful procedure."  The story of him slugging Mick (I am not your drummer) in the middle of the night is classic.

Here's to a true master of the groove, a musician who defined the pocket for rock bands, a true gentleman and an overall stylish, well dressed and charmingly quirky guy.

One of the greats in music has passed.

Celebrate him.

I know I will.

Cheers!

• Like 2

He had pulled out of the new tour for a heart operation a couple weeks ago

Guess ITS ALL OVER NOW

Was discussing the sorry state of Rock and Roll Yesterday with the Admiral.

Things are rough when they are touring octogenarians.

Between Grunge and crooning assholes on star search programs the last decade, the number of talented rockers is drying up fast as nobody seems to know how the handle an axe with talent and ingenuity.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

He should have used the same dealer as Keith Richards 

Or made the same deal with the devil

“Never Call Me Your Drummer Again!”

“I opened the door and he didn’t even look at me, he walked straight past me, got hold of Mick and said, ‘Never call me your drummer again.’ Then he hauled him up by the lapels of my jacket and gave him a right hook.

https://consequence.net/2021/08/charlie-watts-punched-mick-jagger/

54 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

He deserves all respect.  80 is not a bad number.

80 is actually a bit young these days. Kind of ironic he's the first to go - he always seemed to be the sanest and most moderate of them.

Maybe he was just the most discrete.

RIP and thanks for all the great music.

2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Damn, I would have bet good money on him being the last to go of that Bunch, recall meeting Keef in Antigua 30 odd years ago and he looked like a corpse then!

Steady beats wherever he ends up.

He was the eldest.  He can still outlive Keith and Mick.

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Grest vid that would have been so much better with Mick Taylor playng slide.

Damn............... He was so cool that ice wouldn't melt in his hands.

The only non-flamboyant gay guy of his era/genre, and he was just.... Charlie Watts.

The lead in to Get off my cloud was his first real sig line I think.

5 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Damn............... He was so cool that ice wouldn't melt in his hands.

The only non-flamboyant gay guy of his era/genre, and he was just.... Charlie Watts.

The lead in to Get off my cloud was his first real sig line I think.

man, he and ringo, just cool minimalist swinging stuff

whenever I was asked to play drums on a big kit (I am not a drummer by training at all) I always just played the hi hat, snare and foot drum when I could get it together and occasionally a crash or ride but first I just kept the beat and tried to swing

better to play fewer notes nicely than lots of notes like shit

Amidst the chaotic brilliance of The Rolling Stones, there sat Charlie Watts: a steady but sure hand just behind but also always, always at the center.

RIP to one of the true greats.

well shit. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

better to play fewer notes nicely than lots of notes like shit

play the silences ,

I'm paraphrasing a guitarist of note though I don't remember which one .

• Like 1

The guy was a human metronome, no doubt.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Who was that woman?

Her voice gave me serious tingles all over.

Edit: Found it - Merry Clayton.

I think that’s Lisa Fischer.  Super talented powerhouse singer who toured with the Stones, Sting, and others. 

Merry Clayton recorded the original studio version. Which also gives me chills. 

Check out the fantastic documentary “20 Feet from Stardom” that chronicles backup singers.  Both ladies figure prominently.  This is a great scene where they play just the standalone vocals of Merry Clayton’s “Rape Murder” part:

• Like 2

Keith Richards tweet today.

image.png.11391966baa3ef52a957499cb7c04220.png

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

He had pulled out of the new tour for a heart operation a couple weeks ago

Guess ITS ALL OVER NOW

Was discussing the sorry state of Rock and Roll Yesterday with the Admiral.

Things are rough when they are touring octogenarians.

Between Grunge and crooning assholes on star search programs the last decade, the number of talented rockers is drying up fast as nobody seems to know how the handle an axe with talent and ingenuity.

Piss off Boomer. There’s a lot of good young people making great music. 

• Like 1

He was fucking 80.  I had an opportunity to to see the Stones paly in Berlin in 2018 and I turned it down, I didn't want to see a bunch of septuagenarian rockers prancing and playing.  It get's embarrassing at a point, they should have quit years ago.  All of the classic rockers we grew up with are old.  FFS, even Bruce is in his 70s.  

It's time for all of them to quit.  It just isn't fun anymore to see our idols performing at that age.  I don't say that with any pleasure, but please!   I will listen to the recorded music from when the greats were in their prime or at least not in a wheelchair.  

Just my opinion of course.  If people want to spend hundreds of dollars to see fucking old men and women struggle to relive their youth, embarrass themselves and the audience as well, and deny their mortality, who am I to tell them different.

And believe me, Keef will die someday too, it's just that nobody will know the difference for a while.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

I went to work today and because we're open only for click and collect, put Sticky Fingers on the PA in tribute.

Couple of the kids..oops young colleagues, asked me who it was. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well it's been 24 hours

An aspiring young guitarist falls out of a helicopter.

He slowly opens his eyes and finds himself in a recording studio.

Behringer mixers.

Choice of White Eppy Crestwood,  Gibson Hummingbird, Fenders etc

And the Drumkit?4 piece Ludwig

A door opens and Jaco Pastorius walks in, selects a Jazz base, smiles and head down, picks out a riff.

Holy shit!

Door bangs open and a small lanky man with a crinkly smile, walks in, grins and mumbles something about, just passing.

OMG! Who's the drummer?

Door opens quietly.

Ok Guys? 2 3 4

"why do birds suddenly appear?"

I always waited for those two strikes on the cowbell near the end of Dead Flowers.  Understated genius.  RIP Charlie.

7 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Sorry you are butt hurt Al, but just look up major concerts on livenation.com (eg largest concert ticket web site)

Fucking crickets..

And before you whine about COVID, the Country and Western tours are already in high gear.

Local rock radio stations play nothing but rock from the 80s-2005.

I am not talking about your cousin Eddie and his wicked cool garage band.

I am talking names that everyone knows and will pack a stadium.

Joe Bonamassa and Kenny Wayne Shepard click the boxes, but I consider them blues and not true rock and roll.

7 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Can't see them daring or wanting to find a replacement.

Already got one .

BUT , yes , those shoes will never be filled so it's Rolling Stones Version 2 now

Steve Jordan: Rolling Stones to keep touring with replacement drummer after death of Charlie Watts

Tickets remain on sale for No Filter US tour as versatile replacement steps up – and insiders say band plan to ‘rock til they drop’

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/steve-jordan-rolling-stones-charlie-watts-death-tour-replacement-drummer-1167074

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

Already got one .

BUT , yes , those shoes will never be filled so it's Rolling Stones Version 2 now

yup.  Glad I got to see them when I did. He might not have been flashy or out front in the limelight, but he tied the whole package together.  

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

yup.  Glad I got to see them when I did. He might not have been flashy or out front in the limelight, but he tied the whole package together.  

I always thought he looked vaguely amused on stage in the last 20 years or so. Like Dad humoring the kids.

12 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

He was fucking 80.  I had an opportunity to to see the Stones paly in Berlin in 2018 and I turned it down, I didn't want to see a bunch of septuagenarian rockers prancing and playing.  It get's embarrassing at a point, they should have quit years ago.  All of the classic rockers we grew up with are old.  FFS, even Bruce is in his 70s.  

It's time for all of them to quit.  It just isn't fun anymore to see our idols performing at that age.  I don't say that with any pleasure, but please!   I will listen to the recorded music from when the greats were in their prime or at least not in a wheelchair.  

Just my opinion of course.  If people want to spend hundreds of dollars to see fucking old men and women struggle to relive their youth, embarrass themselves and the audience as well, and deny their mortality, who am I to tell them different.

And believe me, Keef will die someday too, it's just that nobody will know the difference for a while.

geez dude, if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all what a waste of energy on your part to take a shit in a forum thread

• Like 3

Charlie was the only one on earth that the Stones took orders from, for 58 years. Here’s to the drummer who made them the World’s Greatest Rock & Roll Band. Ride on forever, Charlie Watts.

ROB SHEFFIELD