A Big SLAP to the 52 Super Series. I stayed online waiting to see some great boat racing but gotta say was disappointed to see a delay of around 2 and a bit hours with zero comms about what was happening on the Race Course. A lot of people asking why a premium racing event was so poorly managed? When racing did finally begin it was Virtual Racing coverage only with no comms once again before the event stating this? So is this a premium event or simply a private gathering for owners and sailors alike? After everyone complained they finally answered it was Virtual Racing coverage only (No Video) until Thursday. I understand Covid may have affected things but some simple comms is all that is needed. That's my rant over, let's hope they get their act together? 

7 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

linky..?

https://www.52superseries.com/

Live tracking and audio commentary each day plus some live video later in the week.

It's not the smoothest coverage but considering it's all funded by the owners with no real commercial value then it's pretty good. I reckon the only way we'll get more consistent live video coverage is if the viewer numbers go up. Each year I'm surprised how little interest it seems to get on the SA forums - it's monohull racing with all the 'traditional' aspects that so many people whinge about the AC no longer including plus pretty much anyone who does any level of club racing can watch it and appreciate how dialled these boat and their crews are. 

This season, although short, could be very tight and interesting; Interlodge return with one of the most dialled boats in the fleet (last years Azzura) and plenty of teams have made crew changes with some new blood coming into the mix (Singers is calling tactics on Phoenix, Josh Junior joins Sled).

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, veritas said:

How does a 2018 built boat qualify for the 20 year anniversary? It's like stealing candy from kids 

Beau Geste? I guess they didn't want to commit to the actual Super Series. I'd assumed the 'invitational' fleet would be racing on handicap given the differences between the generations...?

1 hour ago, NZK said:

Beau Geste? I guess they didn't want to commit to the actual Super Series. I'd assumed the 'invitational' fleet would be racing on handicap given the differences between the generations...?

They have invitational boats that race separately but part of the venue if you like. I presume the invitational is for potential teams getting a taste with older boats to see if they like it before jumping full on in. 

4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

They have invitational boats that race separately but part of the venue if you like. I presume the invitational is for potential teams getting a taste with older boats to see if they like it before jumping full on in. 

Not quite, it's a one off as a celebration of the 20 year anniversary of the class (I presume the Med based version of the class??). A lot of the boats in the invitational fleet came over for Copa del Rey a few weeks ago and have stayed for this regatta. I'm not sure if there's going to be 1 race with all boats on the same course or if they'll keep the Super Series and Invitational separate all week - it could cause a few headaches for overall rankings in the SS fleet considering there are no discards for the entire season.

Looks like it's going to be a long week for the teams here - really unstable weather with no reliable sea-breeze and wind off the land today. First race only just got underway at about 16:00 local time.

Very close at the first top mark...

So the invitational fleet are racing under IRC. Beau Geste (the ex Onda) is out of class for the Super Series now as it has been optimised for IRC with a longer keel and bigger rig.

There'll be a 'one-off' combined fleet race on Friday with all the boats - it won't count towards the Super Series standings.

• Like 1

What does the 52 Super Series have to do with Ocean Racing?  Just ask Bella Mente boats built to the edge for bouy racing don't go offshore they fill up with water too many holes in the deck.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
10 hours ago, fan said:

What does the 52 Super Series have to do with Ocean Racing?  Just ask Bella Mente boats built to the edge for bouy racing don't go offshore they fill up with water too many holes in the deck.

You mustn't have much going on in your life.! 

14 hours ago, fan said:

I'm going assume it's the 'racing' part of the title that put the thread where it is - previous 52 Super Series threads that have been the general 'SA' forum have just been buried and forgotten underneath all the other topics - at least here the majority involved are more focussed on the competitive side of sailing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jackolantern said:

+1 to Fan. This topic can be in ocean racing anarchy when the Quantum racing team does the middle sea race with their China Doll and finishes without structural damage. 

Careful now, I once asked the same questions of an old 52 super series forum on OR anarchy and got slammed for it…

20 hours ago, JL92S said:

Careful now, I once asked the same questions of an old 52 super series forum on OR anarchy and got slammed for it…

Getting slammed on SA doesn’t mean what it used to. Without @akaGP or @moondance44 haunting these halls anymore, it’s like one of those millennial “safe spaces”

15 hours ago, jonag said:

I take it todays races don't count toward super series standings

Correct, they're standalone. Good to see some of the invitational boats putting in solid results.

4 hours ago, veritas said:

What happened to Beau Geste? DNF and DNS

Beau Geste collided with Phoenix early in the first race yesterday. Not sure about damage, hopefully both boats can get back on the water today.

4 hours ago, NZK said:

Correct, they're standalone. Good to see some of the invitational boats putting in solid results.

Beau Geste collided with Phoenix early in the first race yesterday. Not sure about damage, hopefully both boats can get back on the water today.

More like Phoenix collided with Beau Geste.

FB_IMG_1630147977741.jpg

5 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

More like Phoenix collided with Beau Geste.

Yeah my bad, got some dodgy intel. 

Disappointing not to get a race off today but stoked for Sled to hold onto the event win. 

5 different race winners over 6 races, could be close season.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:42 AM, NZK said:

So the invitational fleet are racing under IRC. Beau Geste (the ex Onda) is out of class for the Super Series now as it has been optimised for IRC with a longer keel and bigger rig.

There'll be a 'one-off' combined fleet race on Friday with all the boats - it won't count towards the Super Series standings.

Once Gavin gets his slippery mits on a boat, it'll never measure in to class spec!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, notallthere said:

Once Gavin gets his slippery mits on a boat, it'll never measure in to class spec!

Gavin will never live himself down..! :D:):rolleyes:

On 8/26/2021 at 3:42 PM, NZK said:

I'm going assume it's the 'racing' part of the title that put the thread where it is - previous 52 Super Series threads that have been the general 'SA' forum have just been buried and forgotten underneath all the other topics - at least here the majority involved are more focussed on the competitive side of sailing.

Kind of my excuse for posting it here. I did a search for the 52 Super Series and came up dry. Hence it's in Ocean Racing and yes they race inshore but there is no such thing as an Inshore Forum that I am aware of LOL...:D

4 hours ago, trt131 said:

You are aware that he won the court case arn't you.

Not because he was innocent.  The facts are shocking.

16 hours ago, trt131 said:

You are aware that he won the court case arn't you.

Yes but the stench remains..! P.S. You are aware that arn't is not a word aren't you...??? :D

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

I consider the evidence presented was overwhelming.  But i guess coming from SoCal you have some skin in this game.

I have actually been seated next to the man in question at the days end of a regatta and overheard him planning this sort of thing. He is very passionate about racing and ratings suffice to say. Beau Geste has been almost unbeatable for a long time.! 

Terra, a case of fat fingers oops.  BG has done well but it usually has a very good crew onboard and the boat is very well prepared.  The evidence was presented and it was very thorough.  I think fan had difficulty getting the boat up to the same standard so he figured they must have been cheating, but he has been proven wrong in this case.  Sometimes you just have to sail faster.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Terra, a case of fat fingers oops.  BG has done well but it usually has a very good crew onboard and the boat is very well prepared.  The evidence was presented and it was very thorough.  I think fan had difficulty getting the boat up to the same standard so he figured they must have been cheating, but he has been proven wrong in this case.  Sometimes you just have to sail faster.

You are spot on. Gav is one of the best. He has been around a long time. Not an easy act to follow unless you are as committed as he is.

3 hours ago, trt131 said:

We will see how the boat goes in Warro's hands

That will all depend on how much the other owners are willing to put in $$$$ wise. 

I'm shore Warro will be able to upset a few owners at the CYC when he turns up with the new boat and the biggest bonus is  Warro has a boat that has been sorted out and $$$$$ spend to fix most of the problems.  So they will be fast out of the  box.

Pulpit

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

You are spot on. Gav is one of the best. He has been around a long time. Not an easy act to follow unless you are as committed as he is.

You should have seen the protestations when told he'd have the sails spot checked...in the car park. All the other SuperSeries boats are perfectly happy to have that done after a win.

Congrats to the Sled to battle through for the win.

The wind didn't play ball a lot of the time and the trailer park was hot as balls as always, pretty awesome to see 16 boats on a start line though. Next up Mahon.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

They're back at in Menorca.

Alegre have started off strong with 3 bullets whilst the rest of the fleet are having a bit of a struggle to find any consistency; Quantum are having a (relative) shocker with some poor starts and apparently a chase boat collision on Day 1, Bronenosec got a bit eager on Race 2 start and took their bowsprit off on the transom of Paprec.

menorcad2.JPG.6d27aeb306b28f9ebeb8c21a33816d83.JPG