New Beneteau First 36

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kristian, I'd add one comment to this. Christian the owner is a genuinely nice guy who is passionate about his boats, an impression I get from you from reading your posts here. When I went o

as they say, if you make them love sailing, they will never have money for drugs...  

on a side note, one of the last 27s that came to refit/upgrade, the owner complained that the boat is heavy. Looking at the  boat's file the weight of the hull, deck, structurally assembled hull and t

Posted Images

From marketing copy, looks like a lot of cooks. No wonder new boats cost so much. Guessing Us$700k??  The local powerboat dealer has many options/brands. Typical twin engine 43-50 is 750-1.3M, though they have 2 much bigger engines than ~36-40’ sailboat.    

Hope they do well too. 

19 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

From marketing copy, looks like a lot of cooks. No wonder new boats cost so much. Guessing Us$700k??  The local powerboat dealer has many options/brands. Typical twin engine 43-50 is 750-1.3M, though they have 2 much bigger engines than ~36-40’ sailboat.    

Hope they do well too. 

$700k???  Maybe $300k.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, BayRacer said:

Hope they do well too. 

Wassup doooood?

The Bene 46.1, which is really 48' overall, with the taller carbon mast & teak decks, electronics package, AP, electric winches etc etc is 775 delivered to the west coast of the US, or so I'm told by someone who bought one.

Looks like outboard chainplates so maybe a smaller headsail & zero is contemplated

I'm looking forward to it. Appeals far more than a 3300 or Elan.

Sounds like a progression of the 34.7/35 in that it will get on the step compared with the 36.7 reaching terminal velocity just into double figures. And it's a Manuard hull and Pure engineering. That is top level.

• Like 3

People that think it looks a bit plain or boring have to remember where it must sit in the Jeanneau-Beneteau universe. With the 3300 and new 3700/3800/3900 in the pipeline which take up the more aggressive end of the scale, the First must be more of the cruiser/racer rather than racer/cruiser/irc racer that the Sunfasts are. I always thought the new mid 30s First would be more like a Grand Soleil 34. Despite all this expect to probably see one turn up in the next Transquadra race

3 hours ago, JL92S said:

People that think it looks a bit plain or boring have to remember where it must sit in the Jeanneau-Beneteau universe. With the 3300 and new 3700/3800/3900 in the pipeline which take up the more aggressive end of the scale, the First must be more of the cruiser/racer rather than racer/cruiser/irc racer that the Sunfasts are. I always thought the new mid 30s First would be more like a Grand Soleil 34. Despite all this expect to probably see one turn up in the next Transquadra race

I think you kinda overlooked the whole former Seascape universe there. 

• Like 2

Doubt it will be under 10,000lbs.  The sunfast’s are typically more stripped than a First and the 3600 was around 10,500.  I would bet this will be around 11,500.  

It is a pretty non descript plain Jane looking Clorox bottle.  If it had some promise of performance it could be interesting but the couple renders out there don’t look to promising.  

7 minutes ago, T sailor said:

Doubt it will be under 10,000lbs.  The sunfast’s are typically more stripped than a First and the 3600 was around 10,500.  I would bet this will be around 11,500.  

It is a pretty non descript plain Jane looking Clorox bottle.  If it had some promise of performance it could be interesting but the couple renders out there don’t look to promising.  

Hmm. I had a First 36.7 That weighed 11500, and it was made out of solid glass with a fully kitted interior. The stated design goal for the First 36 was:

The main promise of the sailing experience of the First 36 is planing in medium winds by short-handed or fully crewed teams while remaining an allround boat - a perfect club racer and a capable family cruiser.

To me this says they must have targeted the J/111 in terms of a performance envelope.

but as you note, we've have to wait and see. Is it more Beneteau, or more Seascape??

I find too many similarities between these two boats to get very excited about either one. 

yysw327457.jpg

yysw325773.jpg

The news release touting the combination of a family cruiser with the largest living accommodations in it's class, combined with planing in medium winds, seems a bit optimistic. Perhaps the the interior will be huge and light because it is almost empty, just a portapotty and a few yoga mats to sleep on.

I don't mind the design. They need to keep the look consistent with the Beneteau line, but the blocky cabin house has been toned down and the whole boat has a more balanced look than their other offerings. The renderings do not give us a very good idea of freeboard, but I hope they avoid the over-tall slab sided aesthetic of the more cruise oriented boats.

2 minutes ago, steele said:

The news release touting the combination of a family cruiser with the largest living accommodations in it's class, combined with planing in medium winds, seems a bit optimistic. Perhaps the the interior will be huge and light because it is almost empty, just a portapotty and a few yoga mats to sleep on.

Hopefully this. The Pogo 12.5 is an absolute rocket off the wind, but also vey large. The secret? Empty volume weights nothing.

4 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

I'm optimistic, and impatiently waiting for the published light displacement. At or below 9000 lbs and it has my FULL attention.

:blink:

I mean, it is DOable. 

This is what roughly 9000 lbs can look like in a 36ft boat:

Pogo_36_Interiors.jpg

Pogo 36

On the other hand, these boats never sail to their rating, regardless if IRC or ORC.

But both hints -the chines and Sam Manuard as Naval Architect- to me point more towards the Pogo / Fun side than the J/111 side.

I think it's going to target a market that can be described as 'Dehler 30 OD - but larger'. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

Yes, but it's not good at boatshows, so I doubt they went with that option. Not really their target market.

Perhaps. But the last (non-planing) First 35 sold what, 10 hulls? That's certainly not anybody's market. This is really a Seascape, and more along the lines of Pogo than Oceanis. If they keep it light I'm guessing it will do just fine. Bloat it like the old First 30 JK, and they'll sit.

4 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Hmm. I had a First 36.7 That weighed 11500, and it was made out of solid glass with a fully kitted interior. The stated design goal for the First 36 was:

According to sailboatdata.com, the displacement is listed at 12,941 lbs.  Is the 11,500 lbs from a 36.7 actually being weighed?

2 minutes ago, slap said:

According to sailboatdata.com, the displacement is listed at 12,941 lbs.  Is the 11,500 lbs from a 36.7 actually being weighed?

Ah.. I left of the 'much more than ' The 367 was all of 13k.

The problem with most cruiser/racers is cockpit ergonomics. I see all assholes and elbows when short-tacking and during mark roundings. And when the main trimmer has to pull someone off the weather rail and use words to trim traveler/cunningham/outhaul/vang/backstay instead just reaching down and adjusting a little fine tune, it makes for a chattery cockpit filled with miscommunication. At my advanced age I want need a more ergonomic cockpit.

1 hour ago, Jackdaw said:

Ass end view. Lots of clever touches, but I would not look forward to breaking the long window with a flailing floating jib lead ring...

Picture3-4000x2250.jpg

I see no provision for a sprayhood, unlike the Pogo range.

That omission will be fine for those in warm and climates, but a big negative for those in Northern Europe or in areas like Maine, Canada, or the PNW.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

I see no provision for a sprayhood, unlike the Pogo range.

That omission will be fine for those in warm and climates, but a big negative for those in Northern Europe or in areas like Maine, Canada, or the PNW.

A sprayhood would be an easy add on surely?

10 minutes ago, JL92S said:

A sprayhood would be an easy add on surely?

Look at the arrangement of lines and decklights either side of the companionway.  Hard to secure the bottom of the sprayhood onto that, let alone do that in a way which impedes spray or green water from coming under the sprayhood

3 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Ass end view. Lots of clever touches, but I would not look forward to breaking the long window with a flailing floating jib lead ring...

Picture3-4000x2250.jpg

Seats in front of the traveler look removable.  Although the J/111 seems to set the ergonomic standard in this size.

And yes, it's very similar to the Italia, Elan, GS, Dufor, etc.  But there is brand awareness with Beneteau in the USA that I think will help it sell better here than the other Euros.  

The Italia 9.98 LOOKS better IMHO but if I dip my toe into this price range, this looks like something to consider. 

3 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Looks like a 2014 Dufor 36P knockoff... 

See the source image

But 14,100 lbs?? That's 1k over my old 36.7, a boat that would not plane if you sailed it off the edge of the earth.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, The great unwashed said:

Why no pictures of the leak around the prop shaft “fixed” with an entire tube of Sikaflex and a spatula?  I mean, that’s a standard on all new Bene’s, right?

That's under NDA, or everyone will want one. Sika doesn't grow on trees you know, and those with the skills to apply it like that are busy fucking other stuff up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

I've seen three broken 'windows' on Pogos. I broke one of them.

Do you mean 'broken' or just damaged? 

It's hard to believe that a jib lead ring weighing just grams could break the window, even if it was flailing about. Perspex is pretty tough stuff. 

5 hours ago, Fintho said:

Does this really fill any kind of niche in the market? What box does this tick that a J99 or J111, or a 3300 or 3600 doesn't?  

Cheaper than a J, cruisier than a 3300 or 3600.   Racier than your typical mass produced production boat.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, MiddayGun said:

Do you mean 'broken' or just damaged? 

It's hard to believe that a jib lead ring weighing just grams could break the window, even if it was flailing about. Perspex is pretty tough stuff. 

Cracked. Its why you often see these rings suspended by a loop of strong shock cord from the lower Ds. Keep them away from the windows.

8 hours ago, Fintho said:

Does this really fill any kind of niche in the market? What box does this tick that a J99 or J111, or a 3300 or 3600 doesn't?  

Hah?

Would not be surprised to find that a similar J would cost 2x as much. Disappointed yes, but not surprised.

Doubt you'll find many families cruising in a SF. Day racing together? Yes. Occaional point to point racing together, maybe. Cruising? Doubt it.

Not saying there is not some others similar boat (some point to the D36P) but a comp vs a J or SF is valueless.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:55 PM, Jackdaw said:

I'm optimistic, and impatiently waiting for the published light displacement. At or below 9000 lbs and it has my FULL attention.

communication about this boat is under full control of marketing department so until they spill the beans, we can't publish  or say anything. However, few things to consider... Working with Sam Manuard and Giovanni Belgrano/Pure Engineering is really something special. Surely will talk about that latter, but we designed the 36  between Sam's new IMOCA and PURE's support to Team New Zealand during AC. Sorry guys, we will send drawings tomorrow, we have a(n urgent) meeting with TNZ now. Being in this position,  I really appreciate for the opportunity to work with these guys. 
Boat is being built in Slovenia in Seascape shipyard. It will have fully cored hull deck and structure (Corecell). There will be no structural wood inside, meaning all bulkheads will be molded in cored GRP. There will be exactly 4 pieces of furniture + floorboards in wood + some wooden grabrails. Where will this lead us? Hopefully where we wanted to place this boat. Not as a super mass market product but having something that will redefine what a modern performance cruiser should be capable of...

"We will see..." the Zen master says.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

But 14,100 lbs?? That's 1k over my old 36.7, a boat that would not plane if you sailed it off the edge of the earth.

:lol:

D/L should be around 90 (?) for planing, maybe, but the consensus these days seems to be pile on gobs of sail area, make the stern wide and flattish, put a chine aft, get the D/L under 130 and maybe that’ll work…

but really, the Ultimate sailboats, (U20, U27) were doing a lot better than that in the 90’s.  The 210 was doing it 60 years ago?  And the sq meters boats (although it was wobble wobble downwind)

2 hours ago, Kristian Seascape said:

communication about this boat is under full control of marketing department so until they spill the beans, we can't publish  or say anything. However, few things to consider... Working with Sam Manuard and Giovanni Belgrano/Pure Engineering is really something special. Surely will talk about that latter, but we designed the 36  between Sam's new IMOCA and PURE's support to Team New Zealand during AC. Sorry guys, we will send drawings tomorrow, we have a(n urgent) meeting with TNZ now. Being in this position,  I really appreciate for the opportunity to work with these guys. 
Boat is being built in Slovenia in Seascape shipyard. It will have fully cored hull deck and structure (Corecell). There will be no structural wood inside, meaning all bulkheads will be molded in cored GRP. There will be exactly 4 pieces of furniture + floorboards in wood + some wooden grabrails. Where will this lead us? Hopefully where we wanted to place this boat. Not as a super mass market product but having something that will redefine what a modern performance cruiser should be capable of...

"We will see..." the Zen master says.

Sounds promising! Hope to see it at Das Boot

3 hours ago, Amati said:

:lol:

D/L should be around 90 (?) for planing, maybe, but the consensus these days seems to be pile on gobs of sail area, make the stern wide and flattish, put a chine aft, get the D/L under 130 and maybe that’ll work…

but really, the Ultimate sailboats, (U20, U27) were doing a lot better than that in the 90’s.  The 210 was doing it 60 years ago?  And the sq meters boats (although it was wobble wobble downwind)

Funny you mention the U20.... its our 'fun boat', and the one we jump on for simple sailing pleasure and speed. 

I've owned 4 racy/cruisy boats in the 30s, and the next one has to plane, and do so under non-hero conditions.

• Like 4

Putting two rudders on it was a huge mistake.  That makes it a non-starter in any light-wind venue - the extra drag will make it really hard to sail to its numbers and it’ll have zero feel.  And I agree that the two dwarf wheels look ridiculous.  They should rethink the whole back third.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Funny you mention the U20.... its our 'fun boat', and the one we jump on for simple sailing pleasure and speed. 

I've owned 4 racy/cruisy boats in the 30s, and the next one has to plane, and do so under non-hero conditions.

It’s too bad they couldn’t get the U34 built.  Although there’s a sketch on the Antrim site….

07AFD7B8-9C4E-4622-B50E-C998FCF0BFD9.jpeg

B8D9F784-F8C2-4971-8667-16B4344C3558.jpeg

C40C7279-ED6D-4C72-A0AA-771DF9758813.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dacron said:

Putting two rudders on it was a huge mistake.  That makes it a non-starter in any light-wind venue - the extra drag will make it really hard to sail to its numbers and it’ll have zero feel.  And I agree that the two dwarf wheels look ridiculous.  They should rethink the whole back third.

you are right about the drag .... but two rudders keep the helmsman with the crowd instead of blocking him off in the back, you can sit outside and see the sails , its easy to get onto the boat ( as long as its parked backwards in the slip ) with like 13 feet wide? the single wheel would touch the boom, being ridiculous large 

no feel ? I call BS I have a jeanneau 379 and the feel at the helm is very light, very responsive and super direct. 

Yes I am coming from a 33 ft Tri with no wheel, which was also super responsive ....and yes my "cruiser" will never see 24 knots, and yes it needs a little more wind to get going, but thats because of small sails and 15000 lbs...   not because of the double rudders

9 minutes ago, THOR said:

you are right about the drag .... but two rudders keep the helmsman with the crowd instead of blocking him off in the back, you can sit outside and see the sails , its easy to get onto the boat ( as long as its parked backwards in the slip ) with like 13 feet wide? the single wheel would touch the boom, being ridiculous large 

no feel ? I call BS I have a jeanneau 379 and the feel at the helm is very light, very responsive and super direct. 

Yes I am coming from a 33 ft Tri with no wheel, which was also super responsive ....and yes my "cruiser" will never see 24 knots, and yes it needs a little more wind to get going, but thats because of small sails and 15000 lbs...   not because of the double rudders

You’re confusing two rudders with two wheels. 

• Like 1

Looks like they're trying to appeal to those that can't decide between a 3600 and something a little more cruisey.

Sincerely hope it'll rate under IRC or it can face the same limited sale pattern as the SS 24/27. Personally I love the SS24, and pretty much all of Sam M's designs, but I bought a 3600 as it's pointless racing (and impossible to sell) if it don't rate.

1 hour ago, coyotepup said:

Another in a rapidly growing line of incredibly nice, incredibly expensive boats that will never be raced one-design, if raced at all.

This type is design is raced all over Europe.  The recent ORC world's is proof.

21 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

13,452lbs (6102kg) and IRC 1.029 SPA 108m2.

IMG_4517.thumb.JPG.3b65d5fe4a072939ade884eafa6b8932.JPG

We regularly spar with a J112E and have done pretty well - have options of both sym and asym kites, but it runs really deep with the sym kites. The J is pretty much a copy except for the narrower stern:-

01-lead-j112e_1jml0068.thumb.jpg.573b234c2a56e757336021583af38216.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

This type is design is raced all over Europe.  The recent ORC world's is proof.

Absolute hogwash.

Look at the results.  None of the top 6 look even remotely like this.  The dufour 40 maybe, if you squint hard enough.  And do any of the entrants have two rudders?  Maybe one or two out of 62 boats in class c but none of the real protagonists.

https://data.orc.org/public/WEV.dll?action=series&eventid=WORLD21&classid=C

There are similar designs racing in the doublehanded/distance races and that is certainly booming with interest.  But the ORC worlds?  No.

4 minutes ago, Dacron said:

Absolute hogwash.

Look at the results.  None of the top 6 look even remotely like this.  The dufour 40 maybe, if you squint hard enough.  And do any of the entrants have two rudders?  Maybe one or two out of 62 boats in class c but none of the real protagonists.

https://data.orc.org/public/WEV.dll?action=series&eventid=WORLD21&classid=C

There are similar designs racing in the doublehanded/distance races and that is certainly booming with interest.  But the ORC worlds?  No.

Huh?

The top 6 are J/112's Italia 11.98's and First 36.7!  ALL production racer/cruisers.  Am I missing something?

20 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Huh?

The top 6 are J/112's Italia 11.98's and First 36.7!  ALL production racer/cruisers.  Am I missing something?

Yes.  This boat is fundamentally different to all of those.  The lines, especially in the stern do not lend themselves to inshore buoy racing.  Power reaching yes, but 3 of 4 days of ORC worlds was buoy racing.  As said above by others, this is much more of a comfy SF3600 and will never touch a J/112 or an Italia on a short windward/leeward course.  I am not disputing that they will sell, but they won’t sell to people looking at an inshore ORC campaign.   

The only place a Beneteau is ever going to be competitive is in a one design race against its sisters.

Built to a price everytime.

Take all the money that goes on marketing, there isn't much left to build a racer.

Build it heavy, much easier than engineering a strong design.

Make it comfortable and keep the speed down so it doesn't get too wet or shake you up too much.

Keep the keel fairly short, Bene owners seem to hit the bottom quite a lot.

3 minutes ago, BOI Guy said:

The only place a Beneteau is ever going to be competitive is in a one design race against its sisters.

Take all the money that goes on marketing, there isn't much left to build a racer.

Make it comfortable and keep the speed down so it doesn't get too wet or shake you up too much.

You know Beneteau's have won Sydney Hobart, right?

• Like 3
On 8/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, The great unwashed said:

Why no pictures of the leak around the prop shaft “fixed” with an entire tube of Sikaflex and a spatula?  I mean, that’s a standard on all new Bene’s, right?

For the sake of the early owners of the First 36 I really hope lessons have been learnt from the introduction of the First 27 to the market.  Please get it really sorted including accurate assembly instructions and a manifest of all the parts before sending an edition to a customer's appointed Beneteau agent. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BOI Guy said:

I don't like Benes that much either (at all, to be honest...), but that statment is not right.

In fact, the Bene 36.7 won its class in the ORC / IMS Worlds in 2003 and still managed to get a podium place in the 2021 Worlds just weeks ago:

E9VDsjLX0AczUT7.jpg

I think there are currently few cruiser / racer designs that offers this kind of results over such a long lifespan (maybe the Dehler 33).

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Matagi said:

I don't like Benes that much either (at all, to be honest...), but that statment is not right.

In fact, the Bene 36.7 won its class in the ORC / IMS Worlds in 2003 and still managed to get a podium place in the 2021 Worlds just weeks ago:

E9VDsjLX0AczUT7.jpg

I think there are currently few cruiser / racer designs that offers this kind of results over such a long lifespan (maybe the Dehler 33).

Indeed. In breeze with a non-overlapping headsail, the 367 goes to wind like a witch. I think it was two years back, in a breezy mostly upwind Chi-Mac; IIRC over half of the top-10 in ORC were 367s.

4 hours ago, Matagi said:

E9VDsjLX0AczUT7.jpg

Only that this one is far from stock with regular updates from Farr etc.

14 minutes ago, neuronz said:

Only that this one is far from stock with regular updates from Farr etc.

Whereas anybody else at that level sails their boat like it came 'off-the-shelf'?

There is nothing wrong with some good old 'Kampfwertsteigerung' of your platform. It's still the 'platform'.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Whereas anybody else at that level sails their boat like it came 'off-the-shelf'?

There is nothing wrong with some good old 'Kampfwertsteigerung' of your platform. It's still the 'platform'.

I do not have any issue with anyone updating their boat. However, we are not talking a little TLC here. My point is that it probably would not have placed so far forward if it would not have gotten a new keel and bulb etc. since the original argument was that the boat seems to have a long competitive life span.

5 hours ago, Matagi said:

E9VDsjLX0AczUT7.jpg

What is going on with the upper guardrail?  Is that where you put the lead?

30 minutes ago, maxstaylock said:

What is going on with the upper guardrail?  Is that where you put the lead?

Yeah, I saw that too. Best guess is anti- chafe upwind or on a drop, maybe to get the sail skirted or help get the spin aboard more easily? Something like that.

2 minutes ago, Parma said:

Yeah, I saw that too. Best guess is anti- chafe upwind or on a drop, maybe to get the sail skirted or help get the spin aboard more easily? Something like that.

I was more in awe of that trick boom.

11 minutes ago, Parma said:

Correct. They’re just carbon tubes over the wire. Helps the kite roll over the lifelines on sets and douses. Fairly common on the big boats that do the crazy string drops. 

4 hours ago, Kristian Seascape said:

... Sam is not designing interior, Lorenzo Argento and GiGo Design did that.

Understood. Instead of just picking a single design house, it seems Beneteau put together their own team for this project. Hard to imagine a better team really, at least on paper. For the sake of comparison, here is a worthy boat. the Italia 9.98. 

The race version < 10,000 lbs. The cruise version > 10,000. But this boat is only 34'. I guess GiGo have their work cut out for them to assemble a 36' that might resemble the cruiser, but weigh-in like the racer.

Racer: 

MG_7061.jpg

senza-titolo_102-2.jpg

Cruiser:

senza-titolo_173-Edit.jpg

senza-titolo_683.jpg

Apparently the cruiser gets an oven , the racer just a cooktop. But otherwise I suppose the interiors look pretty much the same (and just four modules - or maybe five? joking ;) But one detail does stand out - two wheels vs. a single tiller..

42 minutes ago, floater said:

Understood. Instead of just picking a single design house, it seems Beneteau put together their own team for this project. Hard to imagine a better team really, at least on paper. For the sake of comparison, here is a worthy boat. the Italia 9.98. 

The race version < 10,000 lbs. The cruise version > 10,000. But this boat is only 34'. I guess GiGo have their work cut out for them to assemble a 36' that might resemble the cruiser, but weigh-in like the racer.

Racer: 

MG_7061.jpg

senza-titolo_102-2.jpg

Cruiser:

senza-titolo_173-Edit.jpg

senza-titolo_683.jpg

Apparently the cruiser gets an oven , the racer just a cooktop. But otherwise I suppose the interiors look pretty much the same (and just four modules - or maybe five? joking ;) But one detail does stand out - two wheels vs. a single tiller..

The new Italias look amazing and have proved to be great race boats.  

According to their website the cruiser adds about 150 lbs to the boat.  The one they use for promo in Miami has a nice blend of the two...oven and wheels but no cabinets or salon seatbacks.

1 minute ago, Swimsailor said:

The new Italias look amazing and have proved to be great race boats.  

According to their website the cruiser adds about 150 lbs to the boat.  The one they use for promo in Miami has a nice blend of the two...oven and wheels but no cabinets or salon seatbacks.

so, no 40lb CQR hanging off the nose? lol.

• Like 1