Jump to content

The Big Scary 'S' word: Why are people so terrified of socialism?


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Now you have me wondering what the actual number is.  It is most likely shrinking but I don't think it's small.  I have an army of relations who are 6000 year creationists.

Some articles will say up to 38% based on a gallup pole, however they associate creationists with literaltists which are not the same thing... One can easily be a creationist without having to think the world is 6000 years old. Most moderate protestants believe in creation but not in the literal sense the nutters do... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False.  First - working more gets you more.  Period.  Even if there is a floor (welfare, or minimum wage) improving yourself brings more wealth.  Proof:  Look around you. False.  Based on so ma

Reality is, the US is a Social Democracy, we're just really inefficient at it due to the graft of the ownership class.  

Yeah, that's why the U.S. is 27th in social mobility - because its system is so much better suited to it. It's also why the top dozen (at least) countries are all social democracies. Moron.

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Do you even read the shit you cite?

The crux of this article is that people who already owned stocks and houses had their net worth increase as prices for both rose.

How does that reflect economic mobility? People who already had stuff got richer, on paper. Big whoop-te-do.

Did anyone "move up" who didn't already own stocks and houses? No.

 

image.png.872b39b144edd789ce59f9b7ed593c4f.png

 

image.png.37ca144188314868d34f9eb147552b64.png

Social Mobility Righty Style "I got mine, fuck you"

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Which country made more new millionaires in 2021?

The US by far. 

 World gained 5.2m millionaires last year in Covid crisis – report | The super-rich | The Guardian

So the rich get richer, which means the poor get poorer. Way to undermine your own flawed hypothesis. 

This is one of the best self-own scenarios I've ever seen on PA. And I was here for all of Dog's tenure.

image.png.63d06ce6d31dd4b4880ad9c39a1cfe74.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Some articles will say up to 38% based on a gallup pole, however they associate creationists with literaltists which are not the same thing... One can easily be a creationist without having to think the world is 6000 years old. Most moderate protestants believe in creation but not in the literal sense the nutters do... 

I would bet real money that the stronger the creationist bent, the stronger the belier in social darwinism.  Personally I think we need some amount of it, but I wouldn't draw any hard lines in the sand.  At one time, fresh out of jail, I was looking at being homeless.  Thanks to pell grants and student loans I avoided that and have a white collar job making real money now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Real_XYZ said:
3 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Some articles will say up to 38% based on a gallup pole, however they associate creationists with literaltists which are not the same thing... One can easily be a creationist without having to think the world is 6000 years old. Most moderate protestants believe in creation but not in the literal sense the nutters do... 

I would bet real money that the stronger the creationist bent, the stronger the belier in social darwinism.  Personally I think we need some amount of it, but I wouldn't draw any hard lines in the sand.  At one time, fresh out of jail, I was looking at being homeless.  Thanks to pell grants and student loans I avoided that and have a white collar job making real money now.

MB either doesn't know what he's talking about, or is deliberately bullshitting. Since he lives on the West Coast in isolation from heartland Real Americans, I assume he does not know many fundamentalist Christians.

I grew up in the Bible Belt. Pretty close to 100% of them really believe that Jee-eezuss picked up a handful of mud (never mind from where) and molded it into the Earth, some time slightly before the invention of color TV. Or something similar enough to make no difference.

And they get real mad if you demonstrate that they're wrong, kind of the way MB gets mad when you point out how he don't know shit about hardly anything except Democrats=BAD!!!

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

MB either doesn't know what he's talking about, or is deliberately bullshitting. Since he lives on the West Coast in isolation from heartland Real Americans, I assume he does not know many fundamentalist Christians.

I grew up in the Bible Belt. Pretty close to 100% of them really believe that Jee-eezuss picked up a handful of mud (never mind from where) and molded it into the Earth, some time slightly before the invention of color TV. Or something similar enough to make no difference.

And they get real mad if you demonstrate that they're wrong, kind of the way MB gets mad when you point out how he don't know shit about hardly anything except Democrats=BAD!!!

- DSK

No, I found the article he was referencing, he is right.  It depends on how you ask the question, but the % of 6000 year creationists is not that big.  Still a lot of people, they are probably clustered is some areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How Many Creationists Are There in America? - Scientific American Blog Network

 

When asked the single-question version, just 18 percent of U.S adults say humans have always existed in their present form, while 81 percent say humans have evolved over time. By contrast, in the two-question approach, nearly one third of respondents (31 percent) say humans have always existed in their present form, and 68 percent say they evolved over time. These results suggest that some Americans who do accept that humans have evolved are reluctant to say so in the two-question approach, perhaps because they are uncomfortable placing themselves on the secular side of a cultural divide.

 

 

Capture.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

No, I found the article he was referencing, he is right.  It depends on how you ask the question, but the % of 6000 year creationists is not that big.  Still a lot of people, they are probably clustered is some areas.

I'm sure that article was carefully researched, but it really doesn't answer the question... "How many Americans believe some fairy tale instead of relatively easily provable fact, about the earth/environment/medicine?"

You could add up how many believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, how many believe that Adam & Eve rode dinosaurs (with leather saddles, presumable), how many believe in the Easter Bunny, how many believe that angels protect them from car wrecks, etc etc.

In many communities, it will be pretty close to 100%

And it's not really that big of a problem, except when they ALL decide to unite in one particular irrational and destructive belief.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Because America was founded on individualism!

 

All those individuals joined to form a group to kick the British out......

Good point!

Individualism vs. collectivism - the two ends of the spectrum. 

Individualism stresses individual goals and the rights of the individual person (liberty).

Collectivism focuses on group goals, what is best for the collective group. 

On 8/27/2021 at 1:51 AM, saxdog said:

The US socializes corporate losses and the corporate-owned politicians make damn sure profits go the other direction.

How is that possible in a representative democracy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Most people are just into that stuff for the potlucks, they don't really care about the specifics.

True enough. I have always enjoyed church barbecues from a variety of denominations, and never tried to argue theology with them. Many people go to church because it's a habit and it's a comfortable social group.

But it also exerts powerful peer pressure.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm sure that article was carefully researched, but it really doesn't answer the question... "How many Americans believe some fairy tale instead of relatively easily provable fact, about the earth/environment/medicine?"

Well, but what about the GOP leadership ?? 

They are even more nuts than the base . . 

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/11/evolution_and_the_gops_2016_candidates_a_complet_guide/

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

True enough. I have always enjoyed church barbecues from a variety of denominations, and never tried to argue theology with them. Many people go to church because it's a habit and it's a comfortable social group.

But it also exerts powerful peer pressure.

- DSK

I'm surprised the tobacco companies never moved in.  Jesus smokes Camels!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well, but what about the GOP leadership ?? 

They are even more nuts than the base . . 

https://www.salon.com/2015/02/11/evolution_and_the_gops_2016_candidates_a_complet_guide/

Appeasing the base, most of those are the religious nut segment, most of them probably don't much more than the average person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Venom said:

How is that possible in a representative democracy?

That's easy - tyranny of the majority and all that.  The irony of democracy is that lots of free people can do lots of mischief if they put their minds to it.  Hence Socrates.

To the religious question, there's a reason why the early socialist movements stomped out free practice of religion and why the 20th century rise of socialistic states coincides with the usurpation of church power.  They fill a similar void.  People need to belong.   Nietzsche was right - to which I point to the CONCLUDING sentence of his famous quote - not the initial declarative:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

The answer is yes.  When you kill god, you have to replace it.  We can have heaven on earth NOW.  Not is some spaghetti monster afterlife.  NOW.  We are smart enough.  We are powerful enough.  We dominant the atom.  We dominate the every species on this planet.  We control DNA and human evolution.  We live wherever the fuck we want!  Happiness?  ptthh... child's play.  And by 'we', I really mean the smart and enlightened folks - the collective beautiful people - not the common rabble.  Those stupid dumbfucks are deplorable - they don't know what's good for them.  They're fucking idiots who vote against the common good!  They don't want health care.  They don't want freedom - they're just brutish racist fucks who 'got theirs' and don't care about anyone else.  They'll come around to the plan eventually and if they don't, who needs em.  The sooner they die, the better off for the world.

That's the meritocracy trap at the end :)  Its always at the end.  Narcissism is also part of what it means to be human.

The next 10 years are going to be an interesting evolution in China as they leaders reassert Confucianism and try and temper their 'socialist/capitalist' hybrid into something sustainable.  I think that's too late but Pooh bear is gonna try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

norks.jpg

Yeah no. Just because they *call* it a socialist country doesn't mean it is one. Whoever created this meme, and whoever shares it, is fabulously ignorant of the most fundamental geopolitical knowledge. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nice! said:

Yeah no. Just because they *call* it a socialist country doesn't mean it is one. Whoever created this meme, and whoever shares it, is fabulously ignorant of the most fundamental geopolitical knowledge. 

Half became a communist dictatorship and turned into a hell hole. Half became fascist/authoritarian and did much better and then became a thriving democracy.

But we all know North Korea is just the same as Canada, right :rolleyes: Do people STILL fall for this shtick :unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mohammed Bin Lyin said:

norks.jpg

Anybody point out this is utter bullshit yet? 

Because it's complete total absolute bullshit. It's wrong. It's incorrect. It's non-factual. You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. Only individuals with zero actual knowledge of geopolitics would think this makes any kind of point. Sensible folks would get the point that whoever made this image and whoever shares it are less than intelligent people. You know, morons.

FunFact: South Korea has a Universal Health care system. Single payer. i.e. pretty socialist (although funding is from more diverse sources)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long ago, within living memory, Sweden was a very backward country 

with low rates of literacy, lots of inequality and dire poverty - scant health care. 

They made socialism work 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@The_Real_XYZ  wrote . . "At one time, fresh out of jail, I was looking at being homeless.  Thanks to pell grants and student loans I avoided that and have a white collar job making real money now."  

I got a second chance too, and did not waste my good fortune that time. 

The US used to be good at that - nowadays, not so much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Half became a communist dictatorship and turned into a hell hole. Half became fascist/authoritarian and did much better and then became a thriving democracy.

But we all know North Korea is just the same as Canada, right :rolleyes: Do people STILL fall for this shtick :unsure:

By the 10's of millions.

Carlin was so right - "think of how dumb the average person is the realize that 1/2 of them are dumber than that".

If you need proof - look at the crowd at a Trump rally.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

By the 10's of millions.

Carlin was so right - "think of how dumb the average person is the realize that 1/2 of them are dumber than that".

If you need proof - look at the crowd at a Trump rally.

It's creeping crawling north. We have idiots too.

fedelxn-liberals-20210827.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-protests-campaign-ontario-1.6156324

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Unfortunately, when you wake up in the morning......you're in fuking Sweden.

Note how our Right Wingers resist learning or discussing one single factoid about Sweden. 

It reminds me of how they deal with every other issue as well  . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nice! said:

Yeah no. Just because they *call* it a socialist country doesn't mean it is one. Whoever created this meme, and whoever shares it, is fabulously ignorant of the most fundamental geopolitical knowledge. 

On the  other hand, if more nations were like north korea, we wouldn't be looking at human extinction from a host of environmental issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

It's creeping crawling north. We have idiots too.

fedelxn-liberals-20210827.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-protests-campaign-ontario-1.6156324

Your idiots aren’t dressed in camouflage carrying enough weaponry to take over a province

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

It's creeping crawling north. We have idiots too.

fedelxn-liberals-20210827.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-protests-campaign-ontario-1.6156324

I never doubted it - I met a full-on Q Trumper at a family funeral. Some sort of distant cousin of my wife's.

2 minutes of talking to him and I had to walk away to another room to keep from clocking him.

Total maroon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

On the  other hand, if more nations were like north korea, we wouldn't be looking at human extinction from a host of environmental issues.

No - just from anti-aircraft guns.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hows about no more socialism for the merchants of death?

"Total Possible Military Savings (Billions of Dollars) $ 349.6

Close 60% of foreign bases - The U.S. operates 800 bases in 90 countries, ten times more than the rest of the world combined. Allow corresponding troop reductions primarily by attrition & retirement, not including troops deployed for combat (see next item). $ 90.0

End wars and war funding - End wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen, and elsewhere, and bring our troops home. $ 66.0

Cut unnecesary weapons - Cancel new procurement and reduce use of weapons systems that are obsolete, ineffective, or in excess of reasonable security needs. $ 57.9

Dismantle nuclear weapons - Seventy countries have signed on to a U.N. ban on nuclear weapons to eliminate the threat of nuclear war. Develop new treaties for complete nuclear disarmament, destroy U.S. nuclear stockpiles (includes a $4 billion annual budget for implementation), cancel nuclear delivery systems (bombers, submarines), and cancel planned nuclear upgrades. $ 42.8

Convert Military Health System into a universal health system - A system of universal health care in the United States would provide medical care to troops and their families and allow separate funding for military health care to be funneled into that system. $ 33.3

Cut overhead by 10% - Military overhead increased from $57,400 per active duty service member to $152,300 in 2015 (in 2015 dollars). A 10% reduction could be achieved primarily through a reduced reliance on for-profit contractors and reduced use of fossil fuels. $ 27.0

End Foreign Military Financing Program - End military foreign aid that enables authoritarian governments and human rights abuses, and increases killing and violence, and instead invest in diplomacy and economic and humanitarian aid. $ 14.0

Reduce research and development (R&D) by 10% - The 2018 military research and development budget increased by 11% since 2015 (adjusting for inflation). This reduction brings R&D back to roughly the 2015 level and reflects the fact that a smaller military would also need less R&D. $ 10.4

Replace military personnel in support positions with civilians - Transition up to 80,000 military positions providing support and administrative functions to civilian employment $ 3.0

Close unneeded domestic bases: The Pentagon has requested a process to close domestic bases it says it doesn’t need. Closing unneeded domestic bases could save $2 billion per year. $ 2.0

Other: Cancel the Space Force; cut military construction by 10% to meet needs of smaller military; convert U.S.-based military elementary and secondary schools to public schools $ 3.1 "

https://media.nationalpriorities.org/uploads/publications/guidetopentagoncuts_june17_v2.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

Nope. Supply creates demand.

Nope, a lot of other nations don't need their own militaries, which means they are not tempted to war with each other.  This creates economic stability.  There are very few pirates on the open seas.  If the US navy did not exist and other nations all required larger navies there would be privateers everywhere.  It is worth the cost.  And we don't even really pay for most of it anyway, other nations *cough* lend us like $500 billion a year for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Nope, a lot of other nations don't need their own militaries, which means they are not tempted to war with each other.  This creates economic stability.  There are very few pirates on the open seas.  If the US navy did not exist and other nations all required larger navies there would be privateers everywhere.  It is worth the cost.  And we don't even really pay for most of it anyway, other nations *cough* lend us like $500 billion a year for that.

Not. Worth. The. Cost.

Quote

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Does it?

 

Yes.  We have troop all over the world, that creates stability.  That's the whole point of doing it.  The troops in western europe prevented a russian invasion.  After the cold war ended they found that the soviets had already made the street signs for the post invasion occupation.  North Korea obviously.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Yes.  We have troop all over the world, that creates stability.  That's the whole point of doing it.  The troops in western europe prevented a russian invasion.  After the cold war ended they found that the soviets had already made the street signs for the post invasion occupation.  North Korea obviously.

Bullcrap. The only reason we currently have troops around the world is because if all of soldiers were based in the US, the public would go nuts with complaints about GI's. It's all about management, and the ability to move troops as needed, while feeding the mouths of a hungry MIC.

A less aggressive strategy would save the US billions and reduce security dangers to the United States.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Bullcrap. The only reason we currently have troops around the world is because if all of soldiers were based in the US, the public would go nuts with complaints about GI's. It's all about management, and the ability to move troops as needed, while feeding the mouths of a hungry MIC.

A less aggressive strategy would save the US billions and reduce security dangers to the United States.

What are you like 20-30?  There was this thing called the cold war, that's why the troops are everywhere.  That's why the taliban was armed by the USA.  That's why a whole lot of stuff happened.  If we hadn't done that the soviets would have overrun half the world.  This created american hegemony and allowed globalization to happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ummm... hasn't anyone told you the cold war ended over 30 years ago?

It lasted 40 years so...

Has anyone received the Peace Dividend cheque yet?

Must still be in the mail.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ummm... hasn't anyone told you the cold war ended over 30 years ago?

It lasted 40 years so...

Has anyone received the Peace Dividend cheque yet?

Must still be in the mail.

Yes, I am aware.  They simply left a lot of stuff setup like it was during the cold war.  And yes, you check was sent long ago, I got mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

They simply left a lot of stuff setup like it was during the cold war. 

That's kinda the point people are trying to make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

What are you like 20-30?  There was this thing called the cold war, that's why the troops are everywhere.  That's why the taliban was armed by the USA.  That's why a whole lot of stuff happened.  If we hadn't done that the soviets would have overrun half the world.  This created american hegemony and allowed globalization to happen.

From what I'm reading I bet it's been 20-30 years since you opened a book. Maintaining overseas bases is uniquely American. There are some places where access to soldiers and equipment is handy, but in the day of drones, and other military hardware hardly necessary. Currently, the US has 800 bases with 174,000 personnel, the United Kingdom has 12, as does France, while our arguably biggest competitor, Russia, has 9 overseas bases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

That's kinda the point people are trying to make.

I was responding to this, which is wrong.

 

'The only reason we currently have troops around the world is because if all of soldiers were based in the US, the public would go nuts with complaints about GI's. '

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

I was responding to this, which is wrong.

 

'The only reason we currently have troops around the world is because if all of soldiers were based in the US, the public would go nuts with complaints about GI's. '

It's not wrong. If you put an extra 38,000 soldiers in Camp Pendleton you create a crisis in food, transportation, law, living, and you saturate the surrounding community until you are no longer desirable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

It's not wrong. If you put an extra 38,000 soldiers in Camp Pendleton you create a crisis in food, transportation, law, living, and you saturate the surrounding community until you are no longer desirable.

Yeah, it is.  At one point we had 400,000 troops in germany, we moved most of them back without issues.  Downsized the military.  We kept a lot of troops in various places, stability is good economics.  Shipping food isn't hard for rich counties.  Moving them out probably cause considerable hardship for the german economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chum said:

Not only that, but putting 38,000 soldiers on Pendleton will not sit well with the Marines already there. The closest Army installation would be Ft Irwin.

San Diego is next, then Ft Urine which is an Army installation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Yeah, it is.  At one point we had 400,000 troops in germany, we moved most of them back without issues.  Downsized the military.  We kept a lot of troops in various places, stability is good economics.  Shipping food isn't hard for rich counties.  Moving them out probably cause considerable hardship for the german economy.

Classic Pentagon/MIC excuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Yeah, it is.  At one point we had 400,000 troops in germany, we moved most of them back without issues.  Downsized the military.  We kept a lot of troops in various places, stability is good economics.  Shipping food isn't hard for rich counties.  Moving them out probably cause considerable hardship for the german economy.

California closed a shit ton of bases in the 90s and 00s as part of the Cold War draw down. (Mississippi not so much.) Anyways, towns like Vallejo got crushed. They lost their tax base overnight. It too 20 or 30 years but CA has a more diverse economy. Vallejo is actually kinda cool. I'm still annoyed that we send checks to Mississippi. We can afford to but I'd rather military spending was spread out.

PS, fuck Mississippi, well fuck them when you're not fucking wanna be county Wyoming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

California closed a shit ton of bases in the 90s and 00s as part of the Cold War draw down. (Mississippi not so much.) Anyways, towns like Vallejo got crushed. They lost their tax base overnight. It too 20 or 30 years but CA has a more diverse economy. Vallejo is actually kinda cool. I'm still annoyed that we send checks to Mississippi. We can afford to but I'd rather military spending was spread out.

Oh no, you're just a victim of military propaganda!  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

California closed a shit ton of bases in the 90s and 00s as part of the Cold War draw down. (Mississippi not so much.) Anyways, towns like Vallejo got crushed. They lost their tax base overnight. It too 20 or 30 years but CA has a more diverse economy. Vallejo is actually kinda cool. I'm still annoyed that we send checks to Mississippi. We can afford to but I'd rather military spending was spread out.

It's an old story, in SoCal, March AFB in Riverside hurt as did El Toro MACS, Norton AFB, Ft Ord, and about 45 more. There was lots of screaming about the loss of 45,000 jobs. I can't even use AMC flights unless I go to the bay area or Washington state.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

That's patently untrue. Camp Pendleton is a fuking iconic icon in So Cal and it's 'members' are revered by almost everyone with an iota of patriotism in their blood. It's been like that since my Dad and his fellow surf bros returned home after the end of WWII. Plus Pendleton is fuking HUGE.......you could stuff another 40k people on that chunk of dirt and no one farther away than Oceanside harbor would even know.....

I was just on Camp Pendleton a few weeks ago, and it knocked me over with how they have developed it. Still, Oceanside is a fairly small town with no where to expand, that would be a problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Iconic icon"..... That right there says a lot. A whole bunch. A bucket load. A shit ton. A fucking barrel load.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

One problem - from the MIC viewpoint - is we succeeded at our goals far too well. Major wars just are not happening anymore and are not likely to. So what to do to look useful. Hmm.....................................

That's why we have a Space Force.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, chum said:

It’s a reference to calling Marines “soldiers”, that’s all.

Little known fact; MCAGCC 29 Palms is so big you could fit Pendleton and Lejeune inside it with room to spare.

Yeah but it would be really hard to practice amphib ops at 29 Palms.

And ironically, Lejuene was named for a flier.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chum said:
20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah but it would be really hard to practice amphib ops at 29 Palms.

And ironically, Lejuene was named for a flier.

 

He was a pilot?

https://www.lejeune.marines.mil/About/About-LtGen-Lejeune/

My memory isn't for shit. I was thinking of Roy Geiger, whose name is plastered over the gate I drove onto Lejeune thru... thanks for the correction

Have to admit, I haven't been there in years.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Yes.  We have troop all over the world, that creates stability.  That's the whole point of doing it.  The troops in western europe prevented a russian invasion.  After the cold war ended they found that the soviets had already made the street signs for the post invasion occupation.  North Korea obviously.

We've been in some kind of war for half the time my middle-aged ass has been on the earth. How is that stable?


image.thumb.png.1fe6e11d013bf0e4f6e0cb5ed1566e3d.png

 

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/08/22/heres-how-much-of-your-life-the-u-s-has-been-at-war/

This is four years out of date, and four more years of war.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

We've been in some kind of war for half the time my middle-aged ass has been on the earth. How is that stable?


 

 

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/08/22/heres-how-much-of-your-life-the-u-s-has-been-at-war/

This is four years out of date, and four more years of war.

It's not that hard to understand, someday you might figure it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites