Best 22 foot racing sailboat?

Best ??ft is one that a) has one-design racing in your area; b) is well set-up on deck and cockpit.

Everything else is secondary.

If your local one-design fleet is a fugly 4ksb from sixty years ago, you will still have more fun racing in that fleet than mixing it up in some mixed fleet with a semi-arbitrary handicap.

• Like 8

I echo: whatever is raced in your area.

I like J/70 a lot but it is too long at 22.74-feet.

J/22 pretty good too but it is 22.5-feet.

J/22 ($6k - $11k used) is a lot cheaper than J/70 ($30k - $40k+ used).

The J/70 has a more ergonomic cockpit. I am very much in favor of ergonomic cockpits!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Matagi said:

Ultimate 20, the VX One (self tacking jib!) and the Sescape 18.

Love the U20, but if kelp is an issue, leave this one off the list. We have a kind of freshwater kelp (Milfoil) on Lake Minnetonka, anf the shit simply STOPS the boat. I've taking to jumping in, and while holding on at the shroud base, putting my feet on the keel and pushing it down and off. Apparently there was a kelp cutter/pusher in the original design, but it didn't make it to production. Sad.

3 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

Love the U20, but if kelp is an issue, leave this one off the list. We have a kind of freshwater kelp (Milfoil) on Lake Minnetonka, anf the shit simply STOPS the boat. I've taking to jumping in, and while holding on at the shroud base, putting my feet on the keel and pushing it down and off. Apparently there was a kelp cutter/pusher in the original design, but it didn't make it to production. Sad.

VX One has a kelp cutter per the specs.

Catalina 22

Lots of racing fleets, Cheep to buy cheep to maintain. Good class rules. Still in production, easy to trailer and set up. 

• Like 3

On this very day I learned the Sonar is still in production.  True, she is 23, not 22 feet LOA but she is a tried and true design with a current builder, that if you buy from them, you have someone to raise cane with if something isn’t right

as always NDIH

http://www.rondarboats.com/raceboats/sonar/about/index.html

1 hour ago, b green said:

how does the RS 21 compare to above boats.....I like except for the 40K new price.

I'm a bit biased but the RS21 to me is a mix between a true keelboat and a sport boat, it's got some of the dinghy like feel off the wind, but with tons of stability from the 750 lb keel. It has a kelp cutter option as well.

I may have missed where you are looking to buy a boat? We have a handful of demo boats and would be happy to get you out on one as well as quote one of these demo boats.

Dude says needs to fit in a slip. Is that dry or wet? Have to laugh at the VX One and other near dinghy-like suggestions. Can't imagine somebody putting bottom paint on one of them and keeping her in a wet slip. 

1 hour ago, HypnoToad said:

Dude says needs to fit in a slip. Is that dry or wet? Have to laugh at the VX One and other near dinghy-like suggestions. Can't imagine somebody putting bottom paint on one of them and keeping her in a wet slip. 

if you want to join the party, you gotta bring something ...

yysw262312.jpg

Viper 640 is exactly 21ft. , but surely a handful doublehanded. 

• Like 1

love the j22. had one of 25+ years dry sailed. Now that I'm older and have a 20 foot slip (max 22.0) like to sail a small boat again....BUT I just could not bring myself to cut up a J22 to fit (4-5 inches too long) fun search, Thanks for all the help.....

1 hour ago, b green said:

love the j22. had one of 25+ years dry sailed. Now that I'm older and have a 20 foot slip (max 22.0) like to sail a small boat again....BUT I just could not bring myself to cut up a J22 to fit (4-5 inches too long) fun search, Thanks for all the help.....

You could still go with a J/22 - if you are willing to remove the OB rudder each time. 

Or as mentioned, the Mull designed Pocket Rocket.  The original non-turbo version of the Rocket 22 - and much cheaper.  A bit doggy downwind in the light stuff, due in part to the flat bottom and fat stern, but otherwise a quick little boat. 

The one below was in good shape IIRC and  listed at CAD $5k a couple of years ago.

94706552_934.jpg

94706553_934.jpg

• Like 1

My Ranger 22 fits in a 20 foot slip if you perform a sternectomy -8"  and remove the push pit.  Still a mini ton/max fun.  

I have an RS 21 and love it. Very ergonomic cockpit. Never have to pay for gas with the E propulsion. Points very well, and good upwind. Does require constant adjustment to get the best out of it, but will sail at 90% with a set and sail attitude. Not as fast down wind as some in light winds, but the when the wind picks up it comes into its own. Always feels very safe and stable at speed when plaining. Easy to trailer sail too with lifting keel.

2 hours ago, wal' said:

Get a Piedy up ya!

Des Townson designed around 1961 .  Bloody awesome little boats

yeah yeah you don't have 'em in the States

Shame really

https://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Woodstock-takes-the-Pied-Piper-Nationals/-23492?source=google

and they were a great follow on from these, LOD 22', boom length 22', kite pole length 22' oh and 25cwt ( thats an imperial ton) of lead ballast, quick in 5>10 knots downright frightening/ dangerous over 20, kite 800sq'  main was around 650sq' from memory

mulleties.jpg

• Like 1
16 hours ago, b green said:

I just could not bring myself to cut up a J22 to fit (4-5 inches too long)

If you rounded off the shorter bow, then you sell yourself the idea as "updated the J/22's to the more efficient semi-scow shape.

Second the SR-21 / SR Max recommendation.

How about a Holder 20?

Will a J/22 fit if you remove the rudder or tie it parallel to the to the transom?

What about trading up a slip size?

Finally, after umpteen posts, you were the first to suggest OPBs (save the slip fee )

B.Green, I have the Trail Rite trailer made for the Ranger22, that has been in Visalia for many years.  It has new wheels, surge brakes, tires and fresh paint[no rust].  My wife says that I may sell it to you for $2000. provided I may rent it back from you in a coupe of years when I haul her out to repaint the bottom.

I’d be mad keen for a Beneteau/Seascape first 18. Nice and stable boat with autopilot on the options list. Big square top main and furling headsail with a kite in a deck chute. Might struggle to win handicap races but they race with a full crew of 3 but frequently raced solo. I believe @Blur raced one solo recently so might have some feedback on the experience 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JL92S said:

I’d be mad keen for a Beneteau/Seascape first 18. Nice and stable boat with autopilot on the options list. Big square top main and furling headsail with a kite in a deck chute. Might struggle to win handicap races but they race with a full crew of 3 but frequently raced solo. I believe @Blur raced one solo recently so might have some feedback on the experience 

Will do a proper writeup, but hard to beat "fun per hours spent preparing". Not really a handicap racer (but we've done very well in a couple of races)... and looking at the thread above; a real "kelp collector" :lol:

• Like 1

C-22= look at it the right way and it almost looks like a J22. 1987 with the "race package" rates 210, original sails, originally delivered to Shasta, later to Huntington , now sink 3-5X what I paid and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, b green said:

C-22= look at it the right way and it almost looks like a J22. 1987 with the "race package" rates 210, original sails, originally delivered to Shasta, later to Huntington , now sink 3-5X what I paid and see what happens.

Hope you got it at a bargain price! LOL

On 8/29/2021 at 7:02 AM, Jackdaw said:

Backwind the sails, back up, lose kelp, move on…. No biggy 

On 8/30/2021 at 4:18 AM, WillyT123 said:

Ultimate 20 will smoke most of the other boats being mentioned, though may not be ideal for kelp

It’s not that hard to avoid kelp, and it does slip off.  Our 40’er has a foreword swept keel and it’s not that bad.  Sheesh…

• 2 weeks later...

East Coast Chesapeake Bay?  FrontRunner 20.   Very good in the light stuff and I believe still OD racing in Deltaville, VA.  IF you don't need cabin space and can find one for sale.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, Somebody Else said:

The old Balboa YC Governor's Cup boats. Designed for youth keelboat match racing. Wonderful little day-sailers.

Is there any accommodations below?

Looks like it, but modified for an asym? They had a symmetrical when I sailed em at Balboa.
Uh yeah. You ain't going below.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:46 PM, Santana20AE said:

If you van find one, one of the S2 6.7’s with the lifting keel.  Not quite as quick as a J22 but overall a pretty good little boat.  

Got a funny feeling my Dad would be more than willing to sell his. Located in SoCal.