A Marine tells it like it is about the Afghanistan pull out.

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

He keeps repeating that phrase..."We can't all be wrong!"

Someone should tell him the obvious corollary.

Well, yes. Actually, you CAN all be wrong.

74 million people all believing a stupid-ass fairy tale does not make it true.

- DSK

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is important to recall, at times like this, that TFG refused to allow any of his cabinet officials or White House staff to meet with the Biden transition team.  There were no plans transmitted.  Th

Anyone remember when diesel was always cheaper than gas? Know when and why it changed? When we brought Democracy to 2 countries the military use of diesel skyrocketed. What goes up doesn't always come

Dan Rather nailed it: “What the world is seeing now in Afghanistan is what the world chose to ignore for far too long. War is hell. It always has been. And it always will be. Its currency is deat

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, yes. Actually, you CAN all be wrong.

74 million people all believing a stupid-ass fairy tale does not make it true.

- DSK

I was thinking more along the lines of "We can't all be wrong, but he can be all wrong!"

Your version works too.

No doubt his companionway is way, way, way off center.

Prolly offset to the right... er, um, starboard.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Mark K said:

A True Marine Speaks is shaping up to be one of the more epic point-meltdowns. A Yoo-Hoo award winner.   

Poor Joker. He falls for whack-a-doodle stuff like this and shares it with the class.  Confirmation bias is a powerful drug. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 11:53 PM, badlatitude said:

The problem of Afghanistan is so much more complicated than trying to place blame on a single individual(s). Biden made hard choices, leaving Afghanistan was never going to be easy, it was always going to be messy. It was like the Dutch boy pulling his finger from the dike. Fear not, in a couple days you can blame Biden for failing to stop Ida.

Did the war profiteers want to leave Afghanistan? As it looks to me more like they intentionally botched the withdraw to me to embarrass Biden. Even if it was just incompetence by military those people should be held accountable and at minimum removed from command. Biden ordered them to leave he's not the one who formulated and executed that order! 

• Like 1
On 9/17/2021 at 5:51 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

And there it is… the money grab. Give till it hurts, bullshitters. 

I wondered where this guy was...

Tweet text: 
Ron Filipkowski 
@RonFilipkowski 
Rogue Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller was arrested today and is in the brig. He violated a direct, written order to stop posting on social media. 
6:09 PM · Sep 27, 2021 

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-corps-officer-stuart-scheller-brig/

*snip* 

“Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller Jr. is currently in pre-trial confinement in the Regional Brig for Marine Corps Installations East aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune pending an Article 32 preliminary hearing,” said Capt. Sam Stephenson, a spokesman for Training and Education Command. “The time, date, and location of the proceedings have not been determined. Lt. Col. Scheller will be afforded all due process.” 

Scheller first gained notoriety on Aug. 26, when he posted a video on Facebook and Linkedin criticizing the handling of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. In the video, Scheller accused senior military leaders of shirking their responsibilities, and questioned some of the command decisions that were made leading up to, and during, the final moments of America’s longest war.  

“People are upset because their senior leaders let them down, and none of them are raising their hands and accepting accountability or saying, ‘We messed this up,’” Scheller said in the video. 

Stu Scheller Sr. described his son as a proud American who loves the Marine Corps and has served proudly for the past 17 years. 

*snip* 

4 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Stu Scheller Sr. described his son as a proud American who loves the Marine Corps and has served proudly for the past 17 years. 

That's just a dad's way of looking at these actions.

'Have to question the term "served proudly" if he has been an insubordinate seditionist all his career. 

Wonder if he's a hero or zero in the brig at Camp "LeJourne." 

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

'Have to question the term "served proudly" if he has been an insubordinate seditionist all his career. 

Probably both. Some revere him, others dislike him for upsetting discipline standards. 

I hope some of you are watching the current live theater at the US Senate. Lot's of bullshit flying around from dumb people. Angus King, of the great state of Maine, is worth listening to.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Object of pity. 

He had multiple combat deployments and has probably lost some men. Seen the blown up and mutilated bodies of his brothers. Heard the screams of them and the people he and his bros killed. He seems to be one of those guys for whom all that horror being for nothing is unacceptable and it blew a fuse. He's not even blaming the right people.   

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Object of pity. 

He had multiple combat deployments and has probably lost some men. Seen the blown up and mutilated bodies of his brothers. Heard the screams of them and the people he and his bros killed. He seems to be one of those guys for whom all that horror being for nothing is unacceptable and it blew a fuse. He's not even blaming the right people.

This is his archived bio (the Marines took it down):

https://web.archive.org/web/20210901215255/https://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Leaders/Leaders-View/Article/2692528/lieutenant-colonel-stuart-p-scheller/

I think he blew a fuse too, but I'm not sure which fuse or what the overload was. It maybe be that he got radicalized, or in the words of Steven Carillo, he became unreasonable.

Some of us in Vets For Peace are pretty tightly wound . .  

dealing with such issues as PTSD, moral injury, CTE and more. 

Scheller needs to get some help so he can be useful to himself and others. 

He is quite right to call for accountability, but it looks as though he 

has picked out some of the wrong targets for his anger. 

Speaking of accountability, the US really needs to prosecute 

the torture enablers and practitioners in Afghanistan and elsewhere. 

That is not who we are, and those who did it must face justice. 

8 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

He just missed the lesson on choosing which hill to die on.  

4 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

This is exactly who we are. 

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Who? For what? If there is one thing governments achieve exellence in, it is spreading responsibility far and wide so noone can be personally liable.

The only obvious person you could go after would be Yoo. But for what? Providing bad legal advice?

12 minutes ago, Battlecheese said:

Who? For what? If there is one thing governments achieve exellence in, it is spreading responsibility far and wide so noone can be personally liable.

The only obvious person you could go after would be Yoo. But for what? Providing bad legal advice?

John Eastman, law professor at Chapman, was held accountable for his Shitstainery and straight up fired. No need to feel sorry for him. He was quickly picked up by the Claremont Institute, a right wing holding tank. Sadly, John Yoo is still at my alma mater.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Battlecheese said:

Somehow the indispensable exceptional nation state . . 

applies different legal standards to Elk from other countries. 

That is why the US is so opposed to the ICC - 

accountability is for those "others"  

Thousands of USAeans belong in orange jump suits 

23 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

And . . .  in the parlance those are known as war crimes . . 

Certainly, if the ICC was holding american leadership to the same standard which is applied to select other countries, they would be having serious problems.

But in terms of actual legal evidence (as distinct from the "america says you did it, so you will be shot at dawn" standard usually used at the ICC) I think you will find that pretty much everyone is covering everyone else. Responsibility has been expertly dispersed.

On 8/29/2021 at 11:16 PM, The Joker said:

Already removed from his command   as he clearly expected.  

Already been locked up.  :ph34r: 

Jailed for disobeying a direct order to cease posting in social media. 

What they are hoping to do is save him from himself. Instead of accepting his resignation they hope a "time out" (ideally with some shrinks) can talk him out of this tree. He only has a couple years left for his 20, and with multiple combat deployments it would be a damn shame for him to lose them due to a temporary loss of mental and military bearing.  

• Like 1

It was reported early on that he had ties to one of those killed at the airport.   I’m thinking it was one death to many and he snapped.  I agree the military is looking at a way out.  Moral is pretty low right now, I met a 20 year marine last Friday   He had spent most of that time in Afghanistan and Iraq the last few as a civilian.   He tried to tell our group his feelings and almost broke down in tears.   He was one of the last ones out of Afghanistan. 

6 hours ago, spankoka said:

He's clearly in need of mental health care, and I hope he can still get his pension. 

If he's done his 20 years, he can... unless he gets stripped of his commission. That can happen to officers but not enlisted personnel

- DSK

6 hours ago, The Joker said:

It was reported early on that he had ties to one of those killed at the airport.   I’m thinking it was one death to many and he snapped.  I agree the military is looking at a way out.  Moral is pretty low right now, I met a 20 year marine last Friday   He had spent most of that time in Afghanistan and Iraq the last few as a civilian.   He tried to tell our group his feelings and almost broke down in tears.   He was one of the last ones out of Afghanistan. 

Military suicides rise 15% as senior leaders call for action

8 hours ago, The Joker said:

Moral is pretty low right now, I met a 20 year marine last Friday   He had spent most of that time in Afghanistan and Iraq the last few as a civilian.   He tried to tell our group his feelings and almost broke down in tears.

Well, aren't you just the compassionate little snowflake  . . 

those bat-shit crazy Forever Wars are ON YOU !! 

Sane Murrikans have been resisting them for decades , ,  

and all we got from your sorry-assed Elk were threats to our jobs and personal safety. 

Looks like the USMC has granted compassionate release in order to let him get the mental health treatment he so obviously needs.

He looks like he’s gaining some clarity though - he told TFG and his Coke addled son to go fuck themselves

On 10/5/2021 at 3:48 PM, Fakenews said:

Looks like the USMC has granted compassionate release in order to let him get the mental health treatment he so obviously needs.

He looks like he’s gaining some clarity though - he told TFG and his Coke addled son to go fuck themselves

Not the likely reason. The brig at Lejeune is usually around 98% empty. Just a few guys usually, and they could get him that help there without any complications. My best guess is his lawyer convinced the Corps he would stop posting on social media.  

8 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Not the likely reason. The brig at Lejeune is usually around 98% empty. Just a few guys usually, and they could get him that help there without any complications. My best guess is his lawyer convinced the Corps he would stop posting on social media.  

Again.

41 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Wow.  He's toast.  Sad that he completely fucked over his wife.  She gave up any chance of a normal career to follow him with each PCS, quitting jobs and never moving up the pay scale etc.  Never staying in place long enough to get a good retirement package.   

• Like 1
On 10/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, The Joker said:

So, we should have stayed in Afghanistan and keep fighting middle eastern wars  so the marines wont get sad?

• Like 1

I suppose he could start with a public apology for his intemperate behaviour and recant all of his criticism of the Afghanistan withdrawal.  The guy was cheerlead on by a pile of RWNJ's looking for someone to sacrifice their career to support their crusade against the Dems.

What is a Blue Moon? - Universe Today

23 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I suppose he could start with a public apology for his intemperate behaviour and recant all of his criticism of the Afghanistan withdrawal.  The guy was cheerlead on by a pile of RWNJ's looking for someone to sacrifice their career to support their crusade against the Dems.

What is a Blue Moon? - Universe Today

Then they found out he hated Trump and dropped him like a burning turd.

21 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Shitlibs hate him more. 

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Sweet! I did not know this. I'm beginning to feel sorry for this guy and I hope he gets some help.

Bitter TrumpWorld donors want their money back after Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller, once an outspoken pro-Trump voice opposed to President Biden's Afghanistan withdrawal, apparently turned on his far-right supporters and slammed former President Trump in a Facebook post.

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/07/accused-criminals-foundation-forced-to-refund-maga-donors-angered-by-anti-posts/

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

Bitter TrumpWorld donors

All the local Dogballs R-word-istas just loved that guy until he dared utter a few truths about Drumph. 

Pathetic. 

10 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Axios reporting he's pleading guilty to some charges in exchange for the salvage of some of his pension.

I'm guessing he will be warmly embraced as a Walmart greeter if he don't sign up for a right wing nut job talking tour about UNFAIR......

https://www.axios.com/marine-afghanistan-withdrawal-plea-deal-b4ef60e3-bd12-470e-bcb5-20d49029711c.html

His odds aren't bad. The Corps doesn't want this trial and someone has convinced him (rightly) neither does he. If his lawyer plays his cards right and he can look forward to a couple years in command of latrine cleanliness and supply followed with a career doing some effing thing bolstered with a well-earned pension as a multiple combat deployment Marine.  A display of remorse and a return of good judgement may even get his wife back. 

He needs to grasp that no, we are not entitled to some great mission or success in service. It can be all for nothing without dishonor. It's a toughie.   

• Like 1
On 10/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, Olsonist said:

Sweet! I did not know this. I'm beginning to feel sorry for this guy and I hope he gets some help.

Bitter TrumpWorld donors want their money back after Marine Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller, once an outspoken pro-Trump voice opposed to President Biden's Afghanistan withdrawal, apparently turned on his far-right supporters and slammed former President Trump in a Facebook post.

https://www.salon.com/2021/10/07/accused-criminals-foundation-forced-to-refund-maga-donors-angered-by-anti-posts/

Oh, it's okay then now that he has denounced Trump we can all feel sorry for him. 

Typical shitlib mentality. 

38 minutes ago, Venom said:

Oh, it's okay then now that he has denounced Trump we can all feel sorry for him. 

Typical shitlib mentality.

Punkista - I expressed sympathy several times above, as did others. 

Ya little fascist 

And yeah, hope he gets some pension too.  

His early views were not very far from lots of other vets - there was a gross failure of leadership 

13 hours ago, another 505 sailor said:

I hope he doesn't lose all his retirement benefits. 18 year of service, most of it combat.

And he told TFG and son to F off.

I will never understand why more people don’t realize how they have been mislead by bullshitters  and do the same thing. Charges prolly spur a reality check and a return from bullshitter fantasy land. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I will never understand why more people don’t realize how they have been mislead by bullshitters  and do the same thing. Charges prolly spur a reality check and a return from bullshitter fantasy land. 

Because most are just doing it for the paycheck or for the chance to kill some people, they don't care about the why.

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Low information intake, and all but exclusively from FOX and like-such elk is my guess. Pretty common for soldiers to spend a lot of time after war studying WTF happened. From inside it's all about what's up close. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

And yeah, hope he gets some pension too.  

His early views were not very far from lots of other vets - there was a gross failure of leadership

Guess that I should add that, though the Colonel was right, he chose to use intemperate language that was not going to accomplish anything. He also exhibited a strain of grandiosity which didn't help either. 

As I wrote above, lots of us in Vets For Peace are pretty tightly wound and/or wrestle with PTSD. 

In fact, a lot of us use our VFP activism as therapy - a way of partially dealing with our guilt.  

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

As I wrote above, lots of us in Vets For Peace are pretty tightly wound and/or wrestle with PTSD. 

In fact, a lot of us use our VFP activism as therapy - a way of partially dealing with our guilt.  

Vets for Poontang works wonders in far less time.

Guilt is man-made. You can choose to accept it or not. No one is keeping score.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Guilt is man-made. You can choose to accept it or not.

Normal human beans feel guilt when they do horrific things . . 

7 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Normal human beans feel guilt when they do horrific things . .

"Normal" ... heh heh. Good one, Ollie. 

Guilt is learned behavior based on fear.

Characterizing things as "horrific" is learned behavior. 

Somewhere between 1:10 and 1:6 support personnel back up every combat soldier. PTSD could be reduced/eliminated by much more careful selection of combat troops.

7 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

"Normal" ... heh heh. Good one, Ollie. 

Guilt is learned behavior based on fear.

Characterizing things as "horrific" is learned behavior. 

Somewhere between 1:10 and 1:6 support personnel back up every combat soldier. PTSD could be reduced/eliminated by much more careful selection of combat troops.

PTSD has to do with trauma (that's the "T"), not guilt.  This is why plenty of health care workers have PTSD after seeing all the COVID death and stress.  Fairly guilt free, but a fair amount of trauma. 

Not sure why AJ thinks guilt causes ptsd. 

24 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

PTSD has to do with trauma (that's the "T"), not guilt.  This is why plenty of health care workers have PTSD after seeing all the COVID death and stress.  Fairly guilt free, but a fair amount of trauma. 

Not sure why AJ thinks guilt causes ptsd. 

A distinction to be sure. At first glance ... maybe health workers recover from the trauma fairly quickly. Hopefully.

We know the soldiers do not although perhaps it wasn't the combat: 

In addition to combat-related PTSD, 7.7 percent of male homeless Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and nearly a quarter of female homeless veterans from these wars reported having PTSD that was related to previous traumas, which other studies show can include childhood abuse, assaults and rape. Furthermore, 15 percent of men and 34.1 percent of women in this sample who reported combat-related PTSD also reported PTSD that wasn't related to combat.

"A lot of studies show that homeless people often experience PTSD after becoming homeless, and that many veterans experienced trauma even before entering the military," says Tsai. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/ptsd-vets

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

A distinction to be sure. At first glance ... maybe health workers recover from the trauma fairly quickly. Hopefully.

We know the soldiers do not although perhaps it wasn't the combat: 

In addition to combat-related PTSD, 7.7 percent of male homeless Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and nearly a quarter of female homeless veterans from these wars reported having PTSD that was related to previous traumas, which other studies show can include childhood abuse, assaults and rape. Furthermore, 15 percent of men and 34.1 percent of women in this sample who reported combat-related PTSD also reported PTSD that wasn't related to combat.

"A lot of studies show that homeless people often experience PTSD after becoming homeless, and that many veterans experienced trauma even before entering the military," says Tsai. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/ptsd-vets

It was worth it. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

PTSD could be reduced/eliminated by much more careful selection of combat troops.

It has been shown that psychopaths, feeling no guilt, don't have much trouble with PTSD. 

Looks like you have little exposure to Irish or Jewish mums. 

36 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

It has been shown that psychopaths, feeling no guilt, don't have much trouble with PTSD. 

Mentally healthy folks don't experience much trouble either.  It's all part of the Shit Happens philosophy. The cure is Get Over It or spend a lifetime whining about the unfairness of life and hoping for change while being oblivious to reality.

Looks like you have little exposure to Irish or Jewish mums. 

Nope. Learned behavior. Not all parents lay that relios-crapola on their children. 

Betcha $100 bucks the VFP roster is full of failed fuckups.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Mentally healthy folks

Mentally healthy folks experience guilt . . 

those who do not are often monsters. 

19 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Mentally healthy folks experience guilt . . 

those who do not are often monsters. 

No one is arguing there are no monsters. Kinda hard shaking off all that stuff learned over a lifetime, eh Ollie?

Point is the topic is or was post combat PTSD. Your insinuation was if you don't feel guilt ... probably a psycho. That's silliness your momma taught you. 

Healthy grownup adults often have unpleasant things to do. The horror is entirely up to you and your momma. The rest of us do the job and move on.

That is actually much harder than whining addiction but that's what healthy folks do.

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Point is the topic is or was post combat PTSD. Your insinuation was if you don't feel guilt ... probably a psycho. That's silliness your momma taught you. 

You don't know what you are talking/writing about . . . and have a very strange idea of what constitutes "healthy". 

It is a fact, whether either of us agrees with it or not, that post-combat troops (especially those who have harmed civilians, opposing troops, or troops on their own side) have extremely high rates of PTSD. 

Just because YOU do not feel it, does not mean that sane people do not. 

It is a FACT that guilt plagues many veterans . .   

https://jmvh.org/article/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-and-killing-in-combat-a-review-of-existing-literature/

Here is a novel idea . .  why don't you do a little reading before you spout off ?? 

19 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

No one is arguing there are no monsters. Kinda hard shaking off all that stuff learned over a lifetime, eh Ollie?

Healthy grownup adults often have unpleasant things to do. The horror is entirely up to you and your momma. The rest of us do the job and move on.

That is actually much harder than whining addiction but that's what healthy folks do.

@Blue Crabhonest question: do you think PTSD is just whining? Or a real, medical condition?

1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

You don't know what you are talking/writing about . . . and have a very strange idea of what constitutes "healthy". 

It is a fact, whether either of us agrees with it or not, that post-combat troops (especially those who have harmed civilians, opposing troops, or troops on their own side) have extremely high rates of PTSD. 

Just because YOU do not feel it, does not mean that sane people do not. 

It is a FACT that guilt plagues many veterans . .   

https://jmvh.org/article/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-and-killing-in-combat-a-review-of-existing-literature/

Here is a novel idea . .  why don't you do a little reading before you spout off ?? 

Your article suggests that combat is not the sine qua non of PTSD.  At all. And certainly not causal of "extremely high rates of PTSD." Not so.

My guilt position is that it's learned not that it doesn't exist. Your arrogance seems to stop you from reading comprehensively.

Reading is good. Living even more authentic and educational. You're behind the group, AJ, not in front.

32 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Hardly.

OK, it was hard to tell up thread, seemed you were minimizing it as a condition, that sufferers should just stop whining and get on with life.

Anywho, he got off with a fine of $5000 and a letter of reprimand for the whole batch of charges. Judge reduced the amount asked by the prosecution a big chunk for time served in the brig. 

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marine-corps-lt-col-stuart-scheller-sentenced/

Interesting to me is the USMC passed the issue of his resignation up to the Sec of Navy. They could have just accepted it, so they didn't want to and they don't want to refuse it either. Just too hot a potato or are they looking for a way to save his pension from himself?  Hope it's the latter. 

With the Sec's blessing they could sit on it for a couple years, letting him sit at home or do whatever in the meantime. Simply not give him any orders for a couple years, except staying off social media.   

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

OK, it was hard to tell up thread, seemed you were minimizing it as a condition, that sufferers should just stop whining and get on with life.

that is exactly what @Blue Crab wrote 

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Nah. Vet here. Always willing to call AJ on his silly cloistered view.

Interesting that so few are apparently combat-caused. 

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Nah. Vet here. Always willing to call AJ on his silly cloistered view.

Interesting that so few are apparently combat-caused. 

Given the PTSD from first responders, nurses, etc, I'm not sure why you'd think it would have to be combat-caused?