I am so sickened by this. It is unspeakable.

My heart goes out to Rachel Holick, I hope she finds the strength and gets the help to get through this - whatever this means, I cannot even imagine.

I hope at least one of those who did this to her sees this.

If you do, know this: the only way to get at least a tiny bit of redemption back in life is to turn yourself in, name the others and take responsibility. 

Otherwise: I hope you never, never find peace.

• Like 4

One more story about a bunch of privileged assholes who think they can get away with anything. I hope the team involved's name is revealed and they spend a lot of time in jail. I am sure the school is a high profile institution that needs to come down a few dozen notches.  

To the woman who posted this - thank you for being so brave. 

• Like 7
20 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

One more story about a bunch of privileged assholes who think they can get away with anything. I hope the team involved's name is revealed and they spend a lot of time in jail. I am sure the school is a high profile institution that needs to come down a few dozen notches.  

To the woman who posted this - thank you for being so brave. 

The team should be banned from sailing until the last current member dies of old age.

That story made me absolutely sick. First and foremost, I hope she’s able to cope and recover from this. Second, I hope those piles of shit get everything awful they deserve. 

• Like 1

The police will have to gather witness testimony that is rock solid before they can go after the aholes who did this. Hopefully she went straight to law enforcement and got some DNA samples collected by police medics technicians as evidence to prove their guilt. One little bitch will snitch on the others and they will go down. 

I’d also like to think that since Rachael is strong enough to come forward on social media that she will be a force to recon with in the future. She’s probably a hell of a sailor to boot!

Btw, where is the great US Failing statement on this? If they've said anything, let me know. They quit sending us anything a decade ago.

ICSA - you got anything else besides this weak shit?? How about the school that knows their guys did it? Crickets?

icsa statement.jpg

• Like 1

That is one brave young lady. These arseholes obviously would have done this before and I hope one of their previous victims comes forward to collaborate with her. If the law can not deal with them then how about a little vigilante action from the sailing community. Like bastardizing them with a 12 inch dildo until they bleed out.

Who runs collage sailing in the US? US Sailing? Surly they must take action?

Edit- Just saw Scots post. Issuing a statement - yeah that will show them. 

• Like 1

I've watched enough crime shows to know that punks that do this sort of sadistic act don't just come to it all at once. They build up to it step by step. Hopefully, there will be more victims to be brave enough to come forward when they round up these douchebags. 

I have a daughter not much older than this young woman and we have had many discussions about college based sexual assault.  What is alleged here goes way beyond what would get most accused guys thrown out of school.  This, as described, is a serious crime.  I hope she went directly to the cops, got swabbed and interviewed while the incident was still fresh.  Those actions dramatically increase the chances that the offender or offenders will pay in a very serious way.

However, I can't see where ICSA has any involvement here except to potentially ban future participation by a team if the allegations are proven.  Their statement was, indeed, lame.  A more appropriate message would have been about an investigation and serious potential ramifications if proven to be true.

Evidence, DNA, witness testimony and possibly surveillance video or these guys videoing the act are what will make or break the case when arrests and indictments come. This doesn’t sound like the Duke Dupe.

There's a very small pool of easily identified suspects, and their coaches.

It will be the coaches that eventually bring the rapists to justice.  If they don't, all of the schools in the college nationals will be suspected of running programs that allow gang rape.  

Guys who would be involved in a gang rape are clearly not very bright, and one of them won't keep their mouth shut.  Ultimately, they are all weak pieces of shit, and one, or more, of them will break down and after a couple of beers probably brag about it.

I hear all your outrage.  I deal with this everyday and have for nearly two decades.

PLEASE,  be less angry and more supportive of the young lady to encourage others to speak out (and for her own well being).

The path to justice it truth.  Help break the silence.

• Like 7
23 minutes ago, sailman said:

I am not casting any doubt to the veracity of this woman’s claims but before the virtual Lynch mob gets into gear maybe take a few steps back and think of the Duke fiasco:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

This is about the dumbest thing you could have posted.  False allegations are made all the time, but look at the circumstances of those allegations.   There's zero parallels between the Duke case and this one.

• Like 1

If ICSA had any balls, and they clearly do not, they should cancel all college sailing until the rapists plead out.  There is one coach who damn well knows his boys did this.  Put some pressure on the whole college sailing ecosystem and watch how fast evidence comes in. 

• Like 5

“But we must protect the institution of collegiate sailing, just a few bad apples it will pass.”

Which of course misses the point that the institution is bad and should  not be protected.

Seems to be a common problem these days.

No doubt people will be reaching the sailor protection policies and then like but again having a policy and acting responsibly are not the same thing.

Being held upside down under water sounds horrific, but is there any account of this, like even the when & where, besides the poetic sing-song? A Google search of her name reveals only Rogers & Wiliams College.

• Downvote 1

I hope SA runs this story on the from page for a long time. The one thing these rapists want is for the story to get buried along with a lot of other stuff. 

Ed - keep on posting about this.

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, PeterHuston said:

This is about the dumbest thing you could have posted.  False allegations are made all the time, but look at the circumstances of those allegations.   There's zero parallels between the Duke case and this one.

Where did you get you info about this case? Can't find anything

I think the schools that participated in this regatta would have names and pics of all sailors on their team’s websites. Best to let the investigators conduct some interviews and gather the information they need. 

I have something similar that happened to a couple of family members kids and discovered after one of them came forward to protect the other one. The evidence has been gathered and all we can do is wait for the perp to get the knock on door from the sheriff’s officers after the prosecutor’s office makes sure there is no escape from justice by a bungled case.

I opted away from anger early to anticipation for justice and the family will survive. 

5 minutes ago, Livia said:

“But we must protect the institution of collegiate sailing, just a few bad apples it will pass.”

Which of course misses the point that the institution is bad and should  not be protected.

No doubt people will be reaching the sailor protection policies and then like but again having a policy and acting responsibly are not the same thing.

The answer to WHY can be found in this piece... its wired into our culture and expectations in ways we don't even recognize even when we look for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/29/how-college-guys-unwittingly-commit-sexual-assault/

How many of us post college men who race has not told or embellished a favorite regatta debauch story.... because that was the culture....   The ICSA powers that be have met the enemy ... and as Pogo noted.... its them/us!

11 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

I hope SA runs this story on the from page for a long time. The one thing these rapists want is for the story to get buried along with a lot of other stuff. 

Ed - keep on posting about this.

Bro, we aren't going anywhere with this until all is exposed.

• Like 11

No one has accused me of being a lawyer since I retired years ago and with COVID-19 I am afraid to sleep in a Holiday Inn; but lots of peeps think I am a devil's advocate.  I have to point out most of what I have seen so far does not come close to anything that would stand up in court.  While we sorta know when this was suppose to have happened from what I have seen so far no DA/SA would attempt to even start an investigation.  While I don't know for sure I tend to think something did happen to Rachel.  Problem is that there is no mention of a police report, rape kit test, medical exam for injuries, vids, pix, or any corroborating evidence or testimony.  Not to mention alcohol seems to be involved by all parties.  It has been almost three months since it was supposed to have happened so any vids from the bar or where ever are probably lost.

I do understand it is an embarrassing for a female to come forward after an incident like this but in the eyes of the law the quicker it is done the better.  The way to stop this sorta thing is bring the bad guys to justice in a court of law.  Whining about it on the internet does not really do anything but let peeps vent.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 4
6 minutes ago, Tomfl said:

No one has accused me of being a lawyer since I retired years ago and with COVID-19 I am afraid to sleep in a Holiday Inn; but lots of peeps think I am a devil's advocate.  I have to point out most of what I have seen so far does not come close to anything that would stand up in court.  While we sorta know when this was suppose to have happened from what I have seen so far no DA/SA would attempt to even start an investigation.  While I don't know for sure I tend to think something did happen to Rachel.  Problem is that there is no mention of a police report, rape kit test, medical exam for injuries, vids, pix, or any corroborating evidence or testimony.  Not to mention alcohol seems to be involved by all parties.  It has been almost three months since it was supposed to have happened so any vids from the bar or where ever are probably lost.

I do understand it is an embarrassing for a female to come forward after an incident like this but in the eyes of the law the quicker it is done the better.  The way to stop this sorta thing is bring the bad guys to justice in a court of law.  Whining about it on the internet does not really do anything but let peeps vent.

This deserves a giant fuck you. Did you ever considered that maybe she’s got legal advice that said this is all you can say right now?

Also, it’s not “embarrassing” to admit you’ve been raped. It’s an array of emotions you seem unable to comprehend. Most lawyers I know have no soul, the only thing they know is billable hours. You fit the type.

• Like 8
  • Downvote 1

The truth will come out.    It may take time as this may be an extensive investigation and other victims of similar crimes may come forth.  

The investigation will be snowballing, not going away.   

Why?  College kids - the first suspect to be put on the spot will throw everyone under the bus.  I have seen it 1000 times before over really small shit.   This is LI shit.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Tomfl said:

Just shut up. no one said it rises to that level... yet. And no, you have no idea how hard it is for a victim of sexual abuse to come forward, you white privileged male, ESPECIALLY since the advent of the Internet and social media. If you are accusing her of "whining" about it on the Internet, then you really didn't pay attention AND  you are part of the problem.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, PeterHuston said:

Pretty tough sitting behind that keyboard skippy.

As the father of a daughter who is currently sailing very competitively in high school and looking to sail on the collegiate level this scares the shit out of me. I am so proud of Rachel for telling her story. I hope these criminals are brought to justice and she can have some closure. I've met some of the best people I could ever hope to around the sail racing community. This team needs to be shut down. Obviously the coach(s) need to be fired and a reset button needs to be pushed. Thanks Ed for making this known and publicizing it. Hopefully pressure is building and law enforcement gets involved. Please keep us posted.   . 

• Like 7

Went to a off-the-beach class regatta in the 1980's, my wife came along for the long trip.  Drunken party where we all were friends right?

Wife appears suddenly and wants to go back to the accommodation, now.  She had been groped roughly by a couple of men who thought it was funny.  She never came with on those regattas again.

We dealt with those people but that was a lifetime ago, now I would deal with them differently.

14 minutes ago, PeterHuston said:

Says the guy who doesn't have the balls to post using his own name.  

It’s out there tough guy.  
Happy Sailing!

Will Museler 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The team should be banned from sailing until the last current member dies of old age.

Unless the rest of the team & it's management identify these so called humans and work with all investigations.

Let's not shoot the innocent to ensure we don't let the guilty escape.  That is not to say that the guilty should be given any latitude.

5 hours ago, Editor said:

rachel-story1.jpg

This is so sickening. Read more.

I tried to read the article to be better informed. But I sent to Instagram. I do not have Instagram nor do I want to sign up for it.  Is there another link to the story?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Tomfl said:

Wow you're quite the douchebag. This woman did something unbelievably brave, yet you think she should mention a freaking rape kit to be taken seriously????? LOSER!

Scot, please ban this jerk.

And PeterHuston, right on. Shut it down and shut the doors. Someone will speak.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, George Hackett said:

Is there another link to the story?

press the large white triangle ...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, George Hackett said:

I tried to read the article to be better informed. But I sent to Instagram. I do not have Instagram nor do I want to sign up for it.  Is there another link to the story?

image.png.1d95447f4eb3d830bb2bf1669ffc7aa5.png

image.png.0ffdd6ccc65e75b351924f0d638939ea.png

image.png.d7eff37147a58bd49157f68305ca5868.png

image.png.4e19e3440f96a717f780d5583595a2cf.png

image.png.0666ddc4c9c89f6a55e7d13dfbbdea93.png

image.png.80e264dadc97395b26d5a5722764abe3.png

image.png.ad36f1bee9d8194a3d2ecd2c6a0b3471.png

image.png.602ef48f8553bc7b06141ece8eb55ace.png

I hope I got them all and they post in the right order.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, bowman81 said:

I hope I got them all and they post in the right order.

yes and yes.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jvanstratt said:

As the father of a daughter who is currently sailing very competitively in high school and looking to sail on the collegiate level this scares the shit out of me. I am so proud of Rachel for telling her story. I hope these criminals are brought to justice and she can have some closure. I've met some of the best people I could ever hope to around the sail racing community. This team needs to be shut down. Obviously the coach(s) need to be fired and a reset button needs to be pushed. Thanks Ed for making this known and publicizing it. Hopefully pressure is building and law enforcement gets involved. Please keep us posted.   . 

man, i feel for you. glad i had boys. reached out to icsa, us sailing and of course rachel. will keep this ball in play.

• Like 8

These are the teams that were at the event (other than this brave survivor's team):

Boston College

Brown University

College of Charletson

George Washington University

Georgetown University

Hobart & William Smith Colleges

Jacksonville University

Kings Point

North Carolina State

Saint Mary's College

Stanford University

Tulane University

University of California Santa Barbara

University of Oregon

University of Rhode Island

US Coast Guard Academy

US Naval Academy

• Downvote 1

The college and team should be named & shamed.

She has no legal recourse in our system since it's her word against all of them which only leaves publicity.

12 hours ago, sailman said:

It’s out there tough guy.  
Happy Sailing!

Will Museler 

I don't scour this forum looking for real names of people who post with a screen name.

By bringing up the Duke lacrosse case you instantly put yourself in the position of defending the accused, and suggest this is a false allegation.

False allegations and prosecutorial misconduct happen, but the overwhelming circumstance is that rapist get away with it, and your comment only adds hurt to an unbearable situation for Rachel, her family and close friends.  Rapist getting away with it was the ENTIRE point of Rachel's post.

And thanks for calling me tough guy.  Maybe I'm tougher than you know, for reasons you seem incapable of understanding.

Perhaps you confuse tough with resolve to help. 

I hope this young lady finds peace.
It isn't about sex, it is about domination.
Most all crime is about domination.
Some posts and posters here are about domination.
I hope justice will be done.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

The college and team should be named & shamed.

She has no legal recourse in our system since it's her word against all of them which only leaves publicity.

But she does or at least did. And it’s there that we have somehow failed as a society. The wife and I raised daughters. One of them went into a highly male dominated field filled with type As. Women are still making firsts in some of the area communities. And as good as the institution and broader organization she joined is, bad things have and do happen. What we stressed to her was if anything bad did happen it was important to report it to authorities. Really proud of the kid because she had to deal with lots of shit she wouldn’t have had to if she was a he. And she handled it well. 

What makes me sad about this instance is that if she had reported it the people guilty of it absolutely would be caught and punished. Why she didn’t feel comfortable to report is where we all have failed individually and collectively as a society. 

As a father of a daughter I just don’t have the words. 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, PeterHuston said:

While false allegations are made, I think to say that it happens all the time is a bit of a stretch.

Studies have shown on the low end its 2% and on the high end around 10%. 

https://cdn.atixa.org/website-media/atixa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12193336/Lisak-False-Allegations-16-VAW-1318-2010.pdf  shows false allegations to be 5.9%

The reality is sexual assault is far more likely to go unreported.

And I can tell from reading the thread that you (Peter) are an advocate, so not trying to bust your balls here.  But I do think the national narrative needs to change from "false allegations happen frequently" to "false allegations are really rare, we should take this seriously and investigate it...if it turns out to be false, we got to practice our detective skills."

I wish the best for the victim and do hope that law enforcement is taking her seriously and doing their job.  

Side note, I've been listening to far too many true crime podcasts lately, and in all of the unsolved cases they have covered, one thing always stands out...the complete and utter failure of LE to seriously and properly investigate.  I get it that the LE community is strained, and that crimes are being committed at a far greater rate than LE can solve them, but still....is it too much to ask that those tasked with investigating crimes do their jobs?

Okay, rant over.

13 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

That list is irrelevant.... don't lump the good with the bad.  Especially when a lot them represent our service academies. 

The list is not irrelevant because the perps and people that know about this are on this list.

The part about repping the academies does not mean a thing I have two daughters and each went to a service academy and the folks at the academies are just as likely as the folks not representing them to be guilty of this. Making it into an academy does not mean you are above reproach. Additionally based on the list of schools odds are greater that the perps came from one of the academies than one of the other schools. Not a reflection on the academies just pure math.  3 out of 17 vs. 1 out of 17

Trust me on this there is plenty to admire about the academy kids but they have the same issues as the rest of the world too.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

The list is not irrelevant because the perps and people that know about this are on this list.

The part about repping the academies does not mean a thing I have two daughters and each went to a service academy and the folks at the academies are just as likely as the folks not representing them to be guilty of this. Making it into an academy does not mean you are above reproach. Additionally based on the list of schools odds are greater that the perps came from one of the academies than one of the other schools. Not a reflection on the academies just pure math.  3 out of 17 vs. 1 out of 17

Trust me on this there is plenty to admire about the academy kids but they have the same issues as the rest of the world too.

Anyone who has lived in Annapolis for long knows that the Academies can produce the same shitheads as any other college with the added complication of the female having to admit to an honor violation herself in order to describe what happened and thus probably be punished herself even if the accused is not.

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Service academy students cant be rapists? Where have you been?  

For fucks sake. Stop with the lynch mob already.   

While this is undeniably a shocking incident, it's exceedingly irresponsible and counterproductive to blame all of hundreds of participants. There's a reason the criminal justice system exists and we don't rely on anonymous online users to play detective. 

(Plus, if you want be a detective, look at the date of this regatta. Many of the academy sailors were in Newport, having just finished the A2N race.)

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Yeah this was my first thought as well, the military, let alone the academies are absolutely NOTORIOUS for not just their abuse of women but their efforts to cover it up, both at a student body and an institutional (and hence, governmental) level. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PeterHuston said:

I don't scour this forum looking for real names of people who post with a screen name.

By bringing up the Duke lacrosse case you instantly put yourself in the position of defending the accused, and suggest this is a false allegation.

False allegations and prosecutorial misconduct happen, but the overwhelming circumstance is that rapist get away with it, and your comment only adds hurt to an unbearable situation for Rachel, her family and close friends.  Rapist getting away with it was the ENTIRE point of Rachel's post.

And thanks for calling me tough guy.  Maybe I'm tougher than you know, for reasons you seem incapable of understanding.

Perhaps you confuse tough with resolve to help. 

Perhaps reading comprehension is not your strong point or maybe your didn't read the first line of my post where I specifically said I was not casting doubt on the veracity of her claims.  My point was not to get out the pitch forks and railroad anyone until the facts come out.  Reputations are ruined easily in this information age by uninformed experts like your self.

Will Museler (in case you forgot and did not have the time to scroll up for my name)

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, sailman said:

My point was not to get out the pitch forks and railroad anyone until the facts come out.  Reputations are ruined easily in this information age

Have to say that I agree with this. All of us are angry and outraged because we know that this kind of behavior edit: crime does happen. As parents of daughters, we want to do whatever we can to make it stop!  But throwing accusations around and taking potshots at each other at this point is pointless and divisive. Yes it's an emotionally disturbing subject, but if we who are now of 'the older generation' can't keep our cool and be halfway civil to each other, then who can? 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Cristoforo said:

Never said or implied that.  Just saying they are expected to conduct themselves at a higher level than most college kids.  They are being trained to lead others, as well as college academics.  

The main point is that if I was not involved and was on a list posted in an internet forum like this, I would be pissed.

• Like 2

On thing for sure is the sailing community is waaay to small for something like this to happen and the guilty parties just slip away.

However, the sailing community tends to attract some rich assholes so expect some high dollar lawyers to be getting paid from the opti moms protecting their baby boys who can do no wrong.....

• Like 4
2 hours ago, sail611 said:

While false allegations are made, I think to say that it happens all the time is a bit of a stretch.

Studies have shown on the low end its 2% and on the high end around 10%. 

https://cdn.atixa.org/website-media/atixa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12193336/Lisak-False-Allegations-16-VAW-1318-2010.pdf  shows false allegations to be 5.9%

The reality is sexual assault is far more likely to go unreported.

And I can tell from reading the thread that you (Peter) are an advocate, so not trying to bust your balls here.  But I do think the national narrative needs to change from "false allegations happen frequently" to "false allegations are really rare, we should take this seriously and investigate it...if it turns out to be false, we got to practice our detective skills."

I wish the best for the victim and do hope that law enforcement is taking her seriously and doing their job.  

Side note, I've been listening to far too many true crime podcasts lately, and in all of the unsolved cases they have covered, one thing always stands out...the complete and utter failure of LE to seriously and properly investigate.  I get it that the LE community is strained, and that crimes are being committed at a far greater rate than LE can solve them, but still....is it too much to ask that those tasked with investigating crimes do their jobs?

Okay, rant over.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

You are correct, I should have used words more specific than "happens all the time".  Perhaps instead I should have said "all too often" or something similar.

You are also correct, I am an advocate.

46 minutes ago, SEC16518 said:

Never said or implied that.  Just saying they are expected to conduct themselves at a higher level than most college kids.  They are being trained to lead others, as well as college academics.  

The main point is that if I was not involved and was on a list posted in an internet forum like this, I would be pissed.

Some people on the list know what happened and others know that it happened, you don't get removed from your friends/teammates without someone being aware you are gone. some people on that list are guilty, some people on that list know what happened and all of those people are part of this not being resolved appropriately. if all they have to suffer is being on a list with the guilty and covering individuals then their burden is pretty light. Being on an internet list is not what they should be pissed about, they should be pissed that one of their friends and competitors was assaulted. 

Incase you forget they choose to be trained to lead others as well as college academics, they chose to conduct themselves at a higher level and just for clarity it's really not a higher level in this case as all college kids are expected to not sexually assault their peers.

Also to make sure I don't get called out for being behind a screen name, Michael Carpenter, parent of Navy Lt. USNA '13 and Air Force Capt. USAFA '15 

• Like 4

Now back to the crime........ SAD, and SICK.

Looking beyond the ICSA,..... where is the Naval Acedemy, City of Annapolis, in this mess?

Where did the crime take place?  Where the teams boarding on USNA grounds, did this crime take place on this Federal property?

Some suggest, arbitrarily, the perp's are male.  Don't discount the fact female could have been involved.

High probability was male perps., so where was their female team mates?, not wanting to hang out with the pigs.

Drinking involved,......... again.  Sadly this doesn't help the case.  Annapolis being a bubble, doesn't help either....... "bury it quick"

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

On thing for sure is the sailing community is waaay to small for something like this to happen and the guilty parties just slip away.

Pretty sure there are plenty of rapist "who just slip away" in all walks of life.

3 minutes ago, shrimp said:

Now back to the crime........ SAD, and SICK.

Looking beyond the ICSA,..... where is the Naval Acedemy, City of Annapolis, in this mess?

Where did the crime take place?  Where the teams boarding on USNA grounds, did this crime take place on this Federal property? 99% no on the boarding at the academy, as far as the crime no idea but the fact that she got separated at a bar probably not on federal property

Some suggest, arbitrarily, the perp's are male.  Don't discount the fact female could have been involved.

High probability was male perps., so where was their female team mates?, not wanting to hang out with the pigs.

Drinking involved,......... again.  Sadly this doesn't help the case.  Annapolis being a bubble, doesn't help either....... "bury it quick"

just my two cents

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

However, the sailing community tends to attract some rich assholes so expect some high dollar lawyers to be getting paid from the opti moms protecting their baby boys who can do no wrong.....

Not really.  I was made aware of an unreported case of sexual assault in our small sailing community here on Vancouver Island.  The victim made a conscious decision not to report it.  I respected her decision and her request that I not report it either.  It is way more common than you think.

To Find the Perps..

a) I'm sure she had a Rape Kit Performed.

b) To Keep ones eligibility to compete in any other sanctioned event. Every Male participant of that weekend event. provide a mouth swab

To those who participate in this. says a lot about you, that you have no game and that you need to resort to ambushing someone out for an evening of fun with who she thought were her "Comrades" . 

Karma, It's just around the next corner. 

For you young ladies out there..  Never, EVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. You go out with them.. You come back with them.

• Like 3

As someone who has represented college students who were assaulted at a sorority / fraternity event, one thing that is important to remember is that is these perpetrators almost NEVER stop at one victim.  They likely have done this before, and will almost certainly try to do this again.

I hope the victim has the courage to name names publicly.  It might just prevent this from happening again.

Any word on what team the attackers are from?

Regards,

M

• Like 1

Gosh, this is a horrific thing to happen to anyone.  Thoughts and prayers.  And well done for coming forwards and standing up.  I could not imagine.  I guess there is no closure, ever, for the subject of such a horrific attack, regardless of any punishments handed down to the perpetrators, the clock cannot be turned back.

I hope there is an eternity of pain and guilt for anyone who could do such a thing.  I hope at least one of them has a tiny shred of decency left, and will not leave the girl to face the legal system alone.  Don't these guys have mothers and sisters?  

When I see crimes like this, my level of disgust never diminishes.

Please keep in mind that this is a serious crime - it may also be other things as well, but it is a serious crime.

Please do your part if you can, because every bit of evidence that is available could help authorities.   

Crimes like these are committed by individuals who must be separated from society for the safety of others.   

Rationalizing about decency is a waste of time - they don't see the world as you do.

Nothing can change the facts, but we must do what we can to protect others.

2 hours ago, AHoleMel said:

b) To Keep ones eligibility to compete in any other sanctioned event. Every Male participant of that weekend event. provide a mouth swab

If I had been participating in this event and this was suggested, I would be more than happy to provide anything required in order to 1. Find the fuckers who did it, and 2. Ensure that my name isn't muddled in it. 

• Like 3
On 8/31/2021 at 7:42 AM, Livia said:

Yep. I hate to admit it but I believe Australian Sailing would be reaching for the anti law suit platitudes whilst doing precisely nothing to help the victim because they chose senior staff that desire money and position over morality. US sailing and ICSA did not commit the offences, but absolutely have a moral and ethical responsibility. THIS is a primary focus as to why governing authorities exist, to establish and enforce the moral and ethical boundaries that allow participants to be safe.  This is also the reason I left the sport after 30 years, I could not countenance a national authorities allowance of abuse and bullying of members that I witnessed. 

43 minutes ago, MPH said:

If I had been participating in this event and this was suggested, I would be more than happy to provide anything required in order to 1. Find the fuckers who did it, and 2. Ensure that my name isn't muddled in it. 

Yes. If it is as reported, anyone that was there or part of the organising bears some responsibility, maybe not for the crime but certainly for providing closure for this girl. It happened on their watch. Saying its not my problem the boat sank and a crewman got hurt because I was doing bow and its not my fucking job is reprehensible.      

Gentlemen's sport? I wonder what Rachel Holick would say about that.

Brave and courageous girl for stepping up. I hope she can recover.

To the people who did it, I hope they are guilt ridden and in are in pain for the remainder of their miserable lives.

Fuck you to anyone who wants to defend them. Happened to someone i know too. What makes it worse was the sports governing body did nothing about it. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Swanno said:

Brave and courageous girl for stepping up. I hope she can recover.

To the people who did it, I hope they are guilt ridden and in are in pain for the remainder of their miserable lives.

Fuck you to anyone who wants to defend them. Happened to someone i know too. What makes it worse was the sports governing body did nothing about it. 

I agree with you, except a rapist has no guilt, no shame, no remorse. They just reload and do it again.

I hope they end up being Bubba’s little prison bitch. You think some spoiled rich kid yacht racer is going to survive in prison doing hard time? 

2 hours ago, benwynn said:

Most of us are probably not a fan of the movies you like.

nah, u got me wrong, i meant-its so sickening that my brain refuses to believe it

8 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Yep. I hate to admit it but I believe Australian Sailing would be reaching for the anti law suit platitudes whilst doing precisely nothing to help the victim because they chose senior staff that desire money and position over morality. US sailing and ICSA did not commit the offences, but absolutely have a moral and ethical responsibility. THIS is a primary focus as to why governing authorities exist, to establish and enforce the moral and ethical boundaries that allow participants to be safe.  This is also the reason I left the sport after 30 years, I could not countenance a national authorities allowance of abuse and bullying of members that I witnessed. 

Yes. If it is as reported, anyone that was there or part of the organising bears some responsibility, maybe not for the crime but certainly for providing closure for this girl. It happened on their watch. Saying its not my problem the boat sank and a crewman got hurt because I was doing bow and its not my fucking job is reprehensible.      

Gentlemen's sport? I wonder what Rachel Holick would say about that.

Shaggy surely the various and conflicting Members Protection Policies in the various jurisdictions would protect the members or not?

• Like 1
On 8/31/2021 at 4:53 AM, Editor said:

.. glad i had boys...

You and everyone out there with sons needs to speak to them and make sure they understand that such behavior is not acceptable in any shape or form. It is not 'funny', it is not 'just boys being boys', it is not 'being an alpha male'

It is barbaric behavior pure and simple

• Like 2
20 hours ago, SEC16518 said:
22 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

More of the American Myth of Exceptionalism. We're going to take a longer look at that one. 

19 hours ago, cbulger said:

Pretty sure there are plenty of rapist "who just slip away" in all walks of life.

This is 100% true.  However, I'm still betting we'll at least know the involved parties on this one.  Weather or not they slip away will be up to the lawyers and there will be lawyers.  Probably already are which is why no one will talk to Scott, (not that everyone wants to talk to him anyway on a good day).