On 9/1/2021 at 5:34 AM, RobbieB said:

Well- if you don't report it then it didn't happen unfortunately.  Based on what victims have to go through in deals like this, (as much as I hate it) I can understand why some or many decide not to say anything.  Kind of one of the shitty things about our system is trying the victims although on the rare occasions it has been found someone falsely reported something.

I spoke with the individual who committed the assault the morning after.  He claimed he was too drunk to remember what happened, but accepted responsibility for his actions.  We agreed he would no longer attend regattas, and if he did, I would get word to his wife about what had happened.  So far as I know he has kept to that agreement - it happened several years ago.

So, there was a small amount of justice.  I hope the victim is doing ok.

9 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I spoke with the individual who committed the assault the morning after.  He claimed he was too drunk to remember what happened, but accepted responsibility for his actions.  We agreed he would no longer attend regattas, and if he did, I would get word to his wife about what had happened.  So far as I know he has kept to that agreement - it happened several years ago.

WTF?? 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Um I don't know who you talked to, but yeah he's a scum bag... But this happened in June of this year and I don't think any of the college sailors were married, could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Thistle1678 said:

Um I don't know who you talked to, but yeah he's a scum bag... But this happened in June of this year and I don't think any of the college sailors were married, could be wrong.

See my previous posts.  I am referring to a different incident. 

16 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Nothing like being unable to attend sailboat "races" as justice for criminal behavior. Bet he can still drink at the bar. White privilege writ pretty large there bro. 

I agree. I would have preferred to get the police involved. What would you have done?  Respected the victim's wishes or reported it anyway?  I admit I am conflicted on this.

The agreement was that he would not show up at regattas, either to sail or to participate in the on-shore activities.

Once again, please note that I am not referring to the incident in the OP.  This was a different incident, but illustrates some of the issues around the reporting of these crimes.

8 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

I agree. I would have preferred to get the police involved. What would you have done?  Respected the victim's wishes or reported it anyway?  I admit I am conflicted on this.

Once again, please note that I am not referring to the incident in the OP.  

At a minimum he's going to AA meetings and should get counseling too, if you truly can't report it to a law enforcement agency  sounds like he's just avoiding the victim and anyone else that knows for his benefit.  

5 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Me too although being kicked out of the club should have been the minimum at the very least. Not too late, I doubt there's a statute of limitations in the bylaws. I'm sooooooooo sickkkkkkkkkkkk of drunks and their drunken behaviors. 

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Me too although being kicked out of the club should have been the minimum at the very least. Not too late, I doubt there's a statute of limitations in the bylaws. I'm sooooooooo sickkkkkkkkkkkk of drunks and their drunken behaviors. 

Not a member of a club AFAIK.  Had he been a member, kicking him out would have meant reporting it to the club, which would not have respected the victim's wishes.  This was a no-win situation.  It was important that he not be at regattas where there could be a repeat event given the drinking and carrying-on that happens.  However, he is still a potential risk to women in other situations.  

He was willing to acknowledge the event had happened and make changes to prevent it happening again.  I think it was a wakeup call for him that his life will be ruined if there is a repeat event.  Hopefully he learned from it.  I doubt anyone had ever called him out on his behaviour before.  

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Nothing like being unable to attend sailboat "races" as justice for criminal behavior. Bet he can still drink at the bar. White privilege writ pretty large there bro. 

This is a giant mess no matter what. If the victim hates the idea of this being out...........what to do????

58 minutes ago, M@AYC said:

meanwhile, not a peep as to who the accused are here.  theyre probably at a bar scoping out their next victims as we speak.

Makes you wonder.  In the meantime, even with no action from the police or otherwise, every single male member of those sailing teams is now a suspect.  You would think that someone who knows who they are would come forward just to remove the shadow of suspicion on all of them.

12 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

There must be some.

I actually know a couple of decent lawyers.  One is close to retirement, and I will be sad to see him go - decent lawyers are rare.

The sad truth is that this this is a mirror to an ugly part of our culture and I wouldn't be surprised if nothing much happens in blue blood land, that rich frat boy guy who raped the chick behind the dumpster got 5 minutes. Also a lot of the comments are about revenge, rape is not ok in prison either. While we are at it how was that shot of that girls crotch on the front page with some lecherous statement, cant remember what she was sailing- a laser or something.... point is that turning women into objects can have consequences when its mixed with alcohol and groups. Men in groups can act like a pack of dogs, we all have the potential  of getting caught up in the red mist, 99% dont but Ill guarantee there was a ringleader and a bunch of weak followers.  What decent men are fighting here is a whole power structure that puts a very high burden on the woman to prove a rape, and its not easy when sex happens between people every day in private and the argument is over consent. He said/she said.

Even with DNA evidence she will have to prove she wasn't willing or unable to give consent. Its a shitty situation and if she was in Texas she would likely have to carry the rapists baby as well.

• Like 1

As horrific as this is, has anyone here been able to find anything at all , corroborating the victims video ... Did she tell any friends before she made the video, or is anyone investigating this..  police ,university or athletic association.   Have any of  her supportive friends posted anything online , I wonder .... Don't get me wrong ,,, I am for sever rape penalties.. Years ago I had a long conversation with  young women who had ben raped years before...  She told me how it messed her up.. She had a distrust of men , among other things.. Had trouble forming a relationship..  One of the things I said to her was in olden times {BC}when a women was raped , her closest male relative was charged with killing the rapist ... I asked her , If a close male relative t {typ a brother } found and killed that man who was still walking around, after what he did to her ..  how would that feel towards some of the trama she was still having..  She said she would feel much better ...     My solution is to strip the rapist and totally crazy glue his balls around  a RR track.  Give him a dull and rusty butter knife and tell him the train is coming in 30 min..

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

let's just never forget the "innocent until proven guilty" principle...

44 minutes ago, Trovão said:

Let’s also remember more importantly the survivor didn’t name anyone specifically. Anyone who thinks she’s not credible has never experienced this pain, and one look on her face tells you all you need to know.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

For you young ladies  people out there..  Never, EVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. You go out with them.. You come back with them.

Fixed it!  It takes all of us, look out for your crew/teammates/friends/fellow humans! You can tell if someone is in trouble sometimes. 

• Like 2
Just now, Thistle1678 said:

Fixed it!  It takes all of us, look out for your crew/teammates/friends/fellow humans! You can tell if someone is in trouble sometimes. 

I was being case specific so no "fixing" necessary, but you are also correct. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

I was being case specific so no "fixing" necessary, but you are also correct. 

Teasing, there was nothing wrong I just wanted to expand on it.  The most disturbing part of this story (and there are a few) is that it was allegedly done by a group of college sailors, if that's you team sailing culture, it's horrific.  One bad apple is bad enough, but a group doing this and no one stopping it or reporting it now? That's unforgivable.

• Like 1

A number of people have to have information on the event and the perps . .  

They need to come forward, or at least do so anonymously. 

On 9/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, Paco said:

This is completely unacceptable in our sport.   I do hope the offenders are brought to justice.   No young lady should have to experience this.  

Pointillism is an odd technique to employ when you need to paint an entire wall. Unless, you're working by the hour.

"For you young ladies out there..  Never, EVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. You go out with them.. You come back with them."

Thanks grandma, but pretty sure that corral gate was left open couple of centuries back, eh?  Outrage noted. 

• Like 1
On 9/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, Trovão said:

One "principle" that's kept rapists and pedo's safe for centuries.

• Downvote 1
On 9/6/2021 at 2:28 PM, fishingbobber said:

As horrific as this is, has anyone here been able to find anything at all , corroborating the victims video ... Did she tell any friends before she made the video, or is anyone investigating this..  police ,university or athletic association.   Have any of  her supportive friends posted anything online , I wonder .... Don't get me wrong ,,, I am for sever rape penalties.. Years ago I had a long conversation with  young women who had ben raped years before...  She told me how it messed her up.. She had a distrust of men , among other things.. Had trouble forming a relationship..  One of the things I said to her was in olden times {BC}when a women was raped , her closest male relative was charged with killing the rapist ... I asked her , If a close male relative t {typ a brother } found and killed that man who was still walking around, after what he did to her ..  how would that feel towards some of the trama she was still having..  She said she would feel much better ...     My solution is to strip the rapist and totally crazy glue his balls around  a RR track.  Give him a dull and rusty butter knife and tell him the train is coming in 30 min..

so you both question the veracity of the victim and advocate vigilante justice. your ass must be really sore from sitting on those fenceposts.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Where's this idea that she didn't report it come from?

Apparently there is no report anyone can find. That doesn't mean there isn't one, I am not 100% familiar with Annapolis police department policies for sex crimes still under investigation.

• Like 1

I've known women who went through this kind of thing, and it's almost incomprehensible to most men. I have a really, really strong friend who went through it, and it took her five years before she was able to talk about it. This is a woman who ratted out her best friend for cheating on an exam. This is a woman who dislocated her shoulder and still trimmed spinnaker on an E-scow an hour later. This is someone who shattered her left wrist half an hour before a quantum mechanics exam, took the exam, then went in to the ER (Her surgeon wasn't too happy with her). This is someone who is both physically and emotionally tougher than almost anyone else I know, but five years later, she could barely talk about it without losing it. 

This kind of thing has absolutely zero place in our sport. 

I hope that Rachel is able to move forward with her life, and hopefully is able to enjoy sailing again at some point...

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JM1366 said:

I've known women who went through this kind of thing, and it's almost incomprehensible to most men.

Cite? Otherwise it's just a comment about your own callow myopia, as evidenced by:

This kind of thing has absolutely zero place in our sport. 

and: 

I hope that Rachel is able to move forward with her life, and hopefully is able to enjoy sailing again at some point...

I'm sure that's her top concern too. My office took up a collection and we sent her a new sailing outfit with matching gloves.*

*In intercollegiate regatta cases involving gang rape and near death, West offers triple advantage points. Win win!

West Advantage Rewards - We’re Making Boating Even More Rewarding. Members earn up to 12% back through September 13

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
On 8/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, ryley said:

Just shut up. no one said it rises to that level... yet. And no, you have no idea how hard it is for a victim of sexual abuse to come forward, you white privileged male, ESPECIALLY since the advent of the Internet and social media. If you are accusing her of "whining" about it on the Internet, then you really didn't pay attention AND  you are part of the problem.

I am accusing you and several other posters of "whining"; reading comprehension is your friend.  Whether you like it or not the way the legal system is set up unless the vic reports a crime as quickly as possible the chances of punishing the perp goes down in a hurry.  As I posted earlier I do think something happened and the perps should face the music.  Problem is I doubt after the delay much will happen and it does not matter if I like it or not.

2 hours ago, Tomfl said:

I am accusing you and several other posters of "whining"; reading comprehension is your friend.  Whether you like it or not the way the legal system is set up unless the vic reports a crime as quickly as possible the chances of punishing the perp goes down in a hurry.  As I posted earlier I do think something happened and the perps should face the music.  Problem is I doubt after the delay much will happen and it does not matter if I like it or not.

huh. 

I do understand it is an embarrassing for a female to come forward after an incident like this but in the eyes of the law the quicker it is done the better.  The way to stop this sorta thing is bring the bad guys to justice in a court of law.  Whining about it on the internet does not really do anything but let peeps vent.

for a lawyer you sure use ambiguous language. Actually I guess that's not that surprising, you get to cover your ass in every direction.

You still don't know anything about when or if she reported the crime - her post on insta tells you nothing about that timing, and unless *you* have a way into the police records, I think I'll stick with my original thought about you, which is that you sound like a PWM mansplaining how women feel coming forward about abuse.

You are right about one thing though - all we observers can do is vent (whine? really?) about this horrible crime and do our best to protect the people we care about from ever being subjected to anything so heinous. I'd rather read about vigilante justice fantasies here than finding someone actually tried to carry it out in reality.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2021 at 7:35 AM, ShortForBob said:

And innocent people wrongly accused alive...

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1
8 hours ago, Trovão said:

And innocent people wrongly accused alive...

I know of a case of a serious accusation of sexual abuse that was later proven to be a complete fabrication.  In the meantime, the accused lost his job as a teacher and he and his family were vilified in the community.  Not sure how you recover from that.  He did get his job back at least.

It does happen.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I know of a case of a serious accusation of sexual abuse that was later proven to be a complete fabrication.  In the meantime, the accused lost his job as a teacher and he and his family were vilified in the community.  Not sure how you recover from that.  He did get his job back at least.

It does happen.  

Much more often than we'd like to admit...

• Downvote 1
On 9/10/2021 at 7:35 AM, ShortForBob said:

you might dislike it, but justice is better served with a free guilty person than with an emprisoned innocent one, imnsho. ymmv...

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Trovão said:

you might dislike it, but justice is better served with a free guilty person than with an emprisoned innocent one, imnsho. ymmv...

Kinda like a guy named Trump? That kind of free guilty person? How many rapes does it take for a woman to overcome the presumption of lying about it?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Trovão said:

On 9/10/2021 at 3:35 AM, ShortForBob said:

I think it's the Lawyers and powerful people, like Jeffery and Bill, that are keeping them safe.

It should be noted that there is a fairly high recidivism rate with sex crimes.

After watching the Naser, US Gymnastics, victims give testimony about the FBI bungling the cases, I wanna use him for target practice.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Trovão said:

You must have a great deal of faith in your just us system.

Generally speaking for other crimes you are correct.

But unlike most murderers, rapists and pedos will offend again and again. They already have the protection afforded by lack of witnesses, how much more permission, protection and encouragement do you want to give to sex offenders?

18 hours ago, Rain Man said:

It does happen.  

7 hours ago, Trovão said:

Much more often than we'd like to admit...

And this is not good.

But compared to the number of rapists that walk away to re offend its a piss in the ocean.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

You must have a great deal of faith in your just us system.

Generally speaking for other crimes you are correct.

But unlike most murderers, rapists and pedos will offend again and again. They already have the protection afforded by lack of witnesses, how much more permission, protection and encouragement do you want to give to sex offenders?

Brilliant reasoning...

You do realise that the best way to keep rapists, and murderers offending again and again is putting the wrong men in prison for their crimes while they are not only free to do so, but also free of suspicion, since somebody else is already considered guilty of those crimes, right?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

Brilliant reasoning...

You do realise that the best way to keep rapists, and murderers offending again and again is putting the wrong men in prison for their crimes while they are not only free to do so, but also free of suspicion, since somebody else is already considered guilty of those crimes, right?

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read here.

You think most rape survivors identify the wrong bloke?

"sorry officer, it was dark and I didn't see who it was but I think it might have been the mailman."

You're really scraping the bottom of the cess pit to help rapists there.

20 hours ago, Rain Man said:

It does happen.  

Yes it does, and the idea that it's okay to accept a "certain number of false claims and convictions," as some here seem to support, goes against what we stand for. That's corrupt justice, as might be found in Russia or China. Easy college examples of false assertions are not only the Duke lacrosse charge, but also the false gang rape charges against a fraternity at UVA in 2014 that Rolling Stone had to pay settlements for writing about as fact.  But I think maybe the most germaine example of drunken young people gone wrong and what can happen afterward may be this story from 2015. Worth a read. (Apologies if it turns out to be a pay wall for some.) 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/he-said-it-was-consensual-she-was-blacked-out-u-va-had-to-decide-was-it-assault/2016/07/14/4211a758-275c-11e6-ae4a-3cdd5fe74204_story.html

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Yes it does, and the idea that it's okay to accept a "certain number of false claims and convictions," as some here seem to support, goes against what we stand for.

So it's OK to accept that a very very large number of rapes and sexual assaults will go unpunished because you don't want a very very small number of innocents punished ?

Would you care to apply that logic to murder?

it's OK to accept that a very very large number of murders will go unpunished because you don't want a very very small number of innocents punished ?

Probably not.

42 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

So it's OK to accept that a very very large number of rapes and sexual assaults will go unpunished because you don't want a very very small number of innocents punished ?

it's OK to accept that a very very large number of murders will go unpunished because you don't want a very very small number of innocents punished ?

Probably not.

Where did he state “very very”?

4 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Probably not.

It ain't a perfect system,  but it's the best we have got!

Yes enforcement needs to lift their game, & be better funded & in many cases trained, but the old line of better a hundred guilty go free than one innocent is convicted still holds true,  even more so if it is me that is innocent!

I once was on a jury who acquitted a man that the whole jury believed was guilty,  but could not have done what he had been charged with, a couple of the jurors were in tears,  but all accepted that we could not make any other decision.

The worst bit was feeling that the young victim may think that we didn't believe she had been abused,  when she clearly had, just not how/when the charges claimed.

3 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Yes enforcement needs to lift their game, & be better funded & in many cases trained, but the old line of better a hundred guilty go free than one innocent is convicted still holds true,  even more so if it is me that is innocent!

I once was on a jury who acquitted a man that the whole jury believed was guilty,  but could not have done what he had been charged with, a couple of the jurors were in tears,  but all accepted that we could not make any other decision.

The worst bit was feeling that the young victim may think that we didn't believe she had been abused,  when she clearly had, just not how/when the charges claimed.

The system is designed to protect the innocent, not punish the guilty. Guilty people going free due to the failure of the government to prove their case is the price we pay for that.

24 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

But it doesn't hold true does it?

It's all down to how much legal might one can afford and what school you went to.

How many innocent people that could only get legal aid end up on goal V how many guilty ones with deep pockets and a legal team walk?

The idea of justice and being innocent until proven guilty is a fairytale. 

The idea that "100 guilty should walk free rather than a single innocent man be punished" is a joke and always has been.

56 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

But it doesn't hold true does it?

It's all down to how much legal might one can afford and what school you went to.

How many innocent people that could only get legal aid end up on goal V how many guilty ones with deep pockets and a legal team walk?

The idea of justice and being innocent until proven guilty is a fairytale. 

The idea that "100 guilty should walk free rather than a single innocent man be punished" is a joke and always has been.

The fact that the implementation of the system has deep structural flaws should not be an indictment of the system itself. If there is a better way of dispensing justice than an adversarial system that places the burden of proof on the state, I have yet to see it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

Exactamundo. It is not the way of biology ... aka life itself. A biblical story at best or worst?

Another joke is being judged by one's peers. In Tubby's story (which many would be ashamed to tell) the bad guy was being judged by non peers. Obviously. Peers would have made a small adjustment for the correct outcome. And slept just fine. Real Life is messy with blurred boundaries and moving goalposts. Whine or deal ... but no one rides for free.

OJ? Non-peers.

Bernie Madoff? Where ya gonna find 12 peers? 

Ghislane Maxwell ... calling for peers for Ghislane Maxwell ... aisle four please.

Trump? Would ya really want to find 12 peers, and if you could ... would you want them all in the same room together? [Possibly. This is what Zykon B pesticide is for.] 

The current SCOTUS may have a thought or two on how some criminal cases may play out in the future. What if the Mapp v Ohio ruling was overturned? NJ v TLO? Think any of these college boys could survive a serious peek into their behavior? I don't. Betcha there's a solid dirty dozen that have raped many a coed.

ETA- I'd rather bust their whiny white asses now than wait until they run for congress or get a "legal" escort onto SCOTUS. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, SFB go back and read that WaPo article I linked. That kind of thing happens, and happens a lot at colleges. Since you aren't in the US you probably aren't aware that we recently went through a tumultuous time when, with good intentions, we basically gave universities authority to rule in cases of claimed sexual assault. It turned into a debacle of kangaroo courts. 

The legal system needs improvement, yes it does. But we don't knowingly convict a certain percentage of innocent people, legally or without apology in the press, in order to increase our conviction rate of the guilty. Not in the US we don't...at least not yet.

• Like 1
Just now, Israel Hands said:

Also, SFB go back and read that WaPo article I linked. That kind of thing happens, and happens a lot at colleges. Since you aren't in the US you probably aren't aware that we recently went through a tumultuous time when, with good intentions, we basically gave universities authority to rule in cases of claimed sexual assault. It turned into a debacle of kangaroo courts. 

The legal system needs improvement, yes it does. But we don't knowingly convict a certain percentage of innocent people, legally or without apology in the press, in order to increase our conviction rate of the guilty. Not in the US we don't...at least not yet.

I *never ever* understood that. Rape is a felony. If a student is accused of rape, arson, murder, or other serious crimes the very first thing the college should be doing is calling 911 and having the police handle it. Not sweeping it under the rug like the old days and not letting some quarter-assed bunch of school administrators invent their own bullshit court system.

22 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Exactamundo. It is not the way of biology ... aka life itself. A biblical story at best or worst?

Another joke is being judged by one's peers. In Tubby's story (which many would be ashamed to tell) the bad guy was being judged by non peers. Obviously. Peers would have made a small adjustment for the correct outcome. And slept just fine. Real Life is messy with blurred boundaries and moving goalposts. Whine or deal ... but no one rides for free.

OJ? Non-peers.

Bernie Madoff? Where ya gonna find 12 peers? 

Ghislane Maxwell ... calling for peers for Ghislane Maxwell ... aisle four please.

Trump? Would ya really want to find 12 peers, and if you could ... would you want them all in the same room together? [Possibly. This is what Zykon B pesticide is for.] 

The current SCOTUS may have a thought or two on how some criminal cases may play out in the future. What if the Mapp v Ohio ruling was overturned? NJ v TLO? Think any of these college boys could survive a serious peek into their behavior? I don't. Betcha there's a solid dirty dozen that have raped many a coed.

ETA- I'd rather bust their whiny white asses now than wait until they run for congress or get a "legal" escort onto SCOTUS. 

Zykon B pesticide was what was used during the holocaust.  What an insensitive and ignorant comment.  Please take it down.

14 minutes ago, vtsail said:

Zykon B pesticide was what was used during the holocaust.  What an insensitive and ignorant comment.  Please take it down.

Your best option is the ignore feature. 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:03 AM, ShortForBob said:

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever read here.

You think most rape survivors identify the wrong bloke?

"sorry officer, it was dark and I didn't see who it was but I think it might have been the mailman."

You're really scraping the bottom of the cess pit to help rapists there.

I'm trying to help the innocent here, not the rapists. 

But you just don't get it. It's OK.

Keep it up there with insults and such, it makes the point much clearer for everyone.

• Like 2