Fingers crossed for New Zealand

13 hours ago, TheDragon said:

It may be that some New Zealanders, being safely tucked away in the south Pacific, are not aware of what a disaster Trump and his administration were. We had to live through it every day for four years, and the last year of that nightmare was truly horrific.

And at the rate the Progressive Caucus is going, they are setting up R House and Senate and Trump for 4 more. Instead of the traditional circular firing squad, they turned the guns on the country.

• Like 1
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The vaccination thing has been a huge media beatup in NZ. Yes we have a low uptake, partly because of slow delivery from Pfizer ( not criticising them. With no covid until recently we were low priorit

Very true. But Germans, as in at least parts of the general public, actively working around those orders (if not ignoring them altogether) is pretty novel. And this is not about following orders,

NZ did get some of it right, what we didn't realise is that the government wasn't doing anything to prepare us for the next step. A big feature in most of the plans exposed has been a large spend on P

Posted Images

the political system you get when most vote what their father voted who voted what their father voted .. ad nauseam

the chronic lack of swing voters says a lot about the people

2 hours ago, phill_nz said:

the political system you get when most vote what their father voted who voted what their father voted .. ad nauseam

the chronic lack of swing voters says a lot about the people

My father suggested that you always vote to make your electorate an unsafe seat. That way both parties will splash the cash to try and keep you happy. Didn't vote for a long time, was overseas and felt it was not up to me to try and influence things. Now happy to try and keep them on their toes with the place being a possible win for either side.

The reality of course is our last guy was a bit of a tosser, the replacement has turned out to be worse. Something she didn't appreciate when I told her so...

Well now. I'm pretty sure Auckland and consequently the rest of, New Zealand is now fucked over by COVID. 

It's got away from us too. 

I guess we all now take our chances.

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Well now. I'm pretty sure Auckland and consequently the rest of, New Zealand is now fucked over by COVID. 

Why? your fluctuating between 19 and 40 with the vast majority of cases linked and your heading for 80% first dose.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/452736/covid-19-in-focus-new-cases-stablise-but-govt-urges-caution

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Its in the gangs, they spread it when delivery the drugs and going to funerals.

I guess one can say if Darwin is correct, gangs, drugs and funerals, its going to be short lived then.

23 hours ago, Gissie said:

A plate of vomit.

You are so full of shit and yet you need to use so many words to display it?!

Congratulations on being the latest entry on my ignore list, at long last.

Go the Kiwis!

1 hour ago, Grog said:

You are so full of shit and yet you need to use so many words to display it?!

Congratulations on being the latest entry on my ignore list, at long last.

Go the Kiwis!

To much of your namesake? Must be one of the new personalities, the ones that have lost the ability to either think or accept other opinions.

Just play the man, sorry, person and close down all discussion. Enjoy your blinkered life.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:57 AM, Gissie said:

Our initial response was good. Now it is as though they just have no plan, our leader is forever saying how the science says this and the polls say that. She is paid to make the hard decisions and needs to front up. 

As for the responses being politically drive, of course they are, just the nature of the beast. If I was truly callous I would say our leader wants us to stay locked down and living in fear. Covid saved her bacon politically and she has done nothing else apart from have fee airtime every day to preach to us like we are little kids. The country is falling apart economically and racial divisions are growing, yet she seems incapable of doing anything.

As I have said before, I think she has good potential, but was thrust into the fray to soon. A few more years growing both personally and developing a power base that would support her would have lead to a very different outcome.

And yet, and yet, just 10 months ago.:rolleyes:

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has won a landslide victory in the country's general election.

With all votes tallied, Ms Ardern's centre-left Labour Party won 49.1%, bringing a projected 64 seats and a rare outright parliamentary majority.

The opposition centre-right National Party won 26.8% in Saturday's poll - just 35 seats in the 120-seat assembly.

The poll was originally to be held in September but was postponed by a month after a renewed Covid-19 outbreak.

52 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

And yet, and yet, just 10 months ago.:rolleyes:

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has won a landslide victory in the country's general election.

With all votes tallied, Ms Ardern's centre-left Labour Party won 49.1%, bringing a projected 64 seats and a rare outright parliamentary majority.

The opposition centre-right National Party won 26.8% in Saturday's poll - just 35 seats in the 120-seat assembly.

The poll was originally to be held in September but was postponed by a month after a renewed Covid-19 outbreak.

What a clever post from Bobette, understands nothing but what she reads in the media that supports her views.

Maybe once you could offer a reasonable thought out response. Unlikely, but just once, rather than your usual shallow posts come up with a reasonable opinion.  More likely to get a sensible response from Randumb than you.

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

What a clever post from Bobette, understands nothing but what she reads in the media that supports her views.

Maybe once you could offer a reasonable thought out response. Unlikely, but just once, rather than your usual shallow posts come up with a reasonable opinion.  More likely to get a sensible response from Randumb than you.

Ohh was the election rigged?

Let's see. She increased the labour vote in 2017 and won Gov majority , won a second term in a landslide in 2020, in the middle of a pandemic, being the first time in 30 years that any party in NZ has governed alone.

She must be doing something right.

Maybe Helen Clark had something to do with it but I guess you think she was green and needed more time being coached by old white men too?

8 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Ohh was the election rigged?

Let's see. She increased the labour vote in 2017 and won Gov majority , won a second term in a landslide in 2020, in the middle of a pandemic, being the first time in 30 years that any party in NZ has governed alone.

She must be doing something right.

Maybe Helen Clark had something to do with it but I guess you think she was green and needed more time being coached by old white men too?

She won the first election because Winston wanted to fuck with the National Party, which is one of the reasons his party was destroyed in the following election.

She was on track to be the first single term PM in almost a century until covid gave her a path to success.

As for your claim 'she must be doing something right', I guess that's all you have. Some warm fuzzy piece of unsubstantiated bullshit based on your own personal prejudices. About normal, the depth of you posts would give a person wearing jandals wet feet.

Then you follow up with a made up idea of what I must think of Helen. Hard to understand why you are single...

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

You forgot the "Kindness" feeling.

Bugger, plus thoughtful. We have K&T's where everyone else has T&P's. Just need to turn it into G&T's. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Bugger, plus thoughtful. We have K&T's where everyone else has T&P's. Just need to turn it into G&T's. :)

You see, that's your problem.

Kindness and thoughtfulness? now who would have thought that those things would be appealing to people who are tired of old white men  .:rolleyes:

I

1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

Kindness and thoughtfulness? now who would have thought that those things would be appealing to people who are tired of old white men  .:rolleyes:

I

Your misandry is showing...<_<

• Like 1

its possibly a bit lucky dumb men vote with a bit of sexism .. otherwise most of the dumb us states would be run by the woman with the biggest tits

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

And who would have figured free thought was appealing to tired old white women.

44 minutes ago, Gissie said:

And who would have figured free thought was appealing to tired old white women.

Meli doesn't do free thought.

Vacuous, sure, but not free.

She's funny, though. As you can see in this thread, any criticism of a female leader is automatically misogyny and unjustified.

Unless, that is, it's a LNP leader, in which case Meli lines up with the boots as fast as she can.

FKT

• Like 1
On 9/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Grog said:

Very true.

But Germans, as in at least parts of the general public, actively working around those orders (if not ignoring them altogether) is pretty novel. And this is not about following orders, it is about people being stuck in a mindset distached from reality.

Fact is: we have our share of adamant anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers around here. Each of them will help the virus to endure and evolve, and I have had it with these ignorant fools.

But what to do?

On 10/1/2021 at 1:09 AM, Sailbydate said:

Is it a brave new world, or a timid new world?  As I understand modeling response in NZ, initially it was influenza (public health) based, which worked.  Now it’s morphing into something else, a relative unknown, and it’s scary as hell.  At least you don’t live next door to Idaho.  It’s a simple airborne disease- and well fitted ASTM level 3, and N 95 masks etc. work. There should be no shame in a mask. The vaccines help.  Distancing helps. Testing helps. Masks work.  But really, stop transmission, and we stop COVID.  

I understand your pessimism.  I share it.  COVID is stealing into our dreams, but we mask up and try to deal with it as best we can during the waking hours. You (NZ) are way ahead of the curve.  Small consolation, compared to 2 years ago, but for you, as Dragon has pointed out, it’s not the existential shit show it is here in the states.  Somehow we all have to stop playing nice with intentional spreaders, which for some reason is wrenching, seemingly tearing apart the fabric of society, to say nothing about just getting the boat worked on.  (Some days the idea of going down to work on her just seems foolhardy.)  But in my stronger moments, I think we can figure a rational way to deal with this.  But taming emotions is difficult.  Here on this island, the masked and vaccinated are finally getting over our reticence to assert ourselves enough to at least start talking about this stuff openly in public, and figure out who’s who.

(Deep breath, exit stage right into my pillow, I hope)

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Amati said:

But what to do?

Personally, I simply plan to outlive them.

Gov'ment is adding pressure by restricting most public life to the vaccinated and cured; Anti-Vaxxers will be needing fresh PCR tests to enter a restaurant, a bar, a concert, a gym, a university, basically any venue open to the random public.

Those tests used to be free (as in paid for with tax money) but that is ending, too. Adding €50-90 to your dining out tab, your gym session, that club gig ... each and every time?! That might change some minds.

Of course, these are only domestic measures, we'll have to see about international travel and traffic. Soon. Again.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Gissie said:

I wonder how many rich Dorklanders that fled Auckland to their lovely 'bach' in Raglan now find themselves caught up in lockdown again. :lol:

Nah I'm guessing there are more Hamilton ressies with baches in Raglan and now they are all locked down.

The Dorks have "look at me" baches in Omahaha.

5 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Nah I'm guessing there are more Hamilton ressies with baches in Raglan and now they are all locked down.

The Dorks have "look at me" baches in Omahaha.

Nah, sadly I lived there for a couple of years. The Dorks would turn up in the Audi SUV with boards bolted to the roof, strut around reliving their youth in comfort. 

3 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

You are obviously not a boatie or a sailor.  West Coast beaches?!

And you're obviously not a Kiwi or Australian.

Looks like a pretty decent beach to me.

image.thumb.png.9794ec8e45a0135d0c7fec6377d67fae.png

I just hope that this abandonment of zero will have the same effect on Kiwis as it did in complacent Australia.

Get vaccinated now. 

At least you guys have Pfizer from the beggining and don't have to wait 8 -12 weeks between jabs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-04/new-zealand-extends-auckland-lockdown-but-eases-some-coronavirus/100512666

New Zealand has abandoned its strategy of eliminating COVID-19 and will instead look to live with coronavirus and control its spread as vaccinations rise.

Key points:

• New Zealand reported 29 new infections, taking the total in the latest outbreak to 1,357 cases
  • Ms Ardern said the nation needed "to change the way we do things" in response to COVID-19
  • From Wednesday, locked-down Aucklanders will be able to meet friends and family outdoors

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern signalled the change of strategy on Monday as she announced a lockdown affecting Auckland would be scaled back in phases, starting on Wednesday.

The Pacific nation was among just a handful of countries to bring COVID-19 cases down to zero until an outbreak of the highly infectious Delta variant in mid-August frustrated efforts to stamp out transmission.

"With this outbreak, and Delta, the return to zero is incredibly difficult," Ardern told a news conference.

"This is a change in approach we were always going to make over time. Our Delta outbreak has accelerated this transition. Vaccines will support it," she said.

LIVE UPDATES: Read our blog for the latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic

The country recorded 29 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, taking the total number in the current outbreak to 1,357.

Most of the infections are in Auckland, which has been in lockdown for almost 50 days.

Under mounting pressure, Ms Ardern said her strategy was never to have zero cases, but to aggressively stamp out the virus.

She added that strict lockdowns would end once 90 per cent of the eligible population was vaccinated.

About 2 million New Zealanders have so far been fully vaccinated, or about 48 per cent of the eligible population.

Ms Ardern said the Delta variant felt like "a tentacle that has been incredibly hard to shake".

"It's clear that a long period of heavy restrictions has not got us to zero cases," she said.

"But it's OK … elimination was important because we didn't have vaccinations. Now we do, so we can begin to change the way we do things."

12 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

Obviously never been near an average Kiwi west coast beach. Although the left hand break is pretty epic. downloadfile-1.jpg.929af8835b5cf6bb66e63ff8fb4ee73e.jpg

10 hours ago, Gissie said:

Nah, sadly I lived there for a couple of years. The Dorks would turn up in the Audi SUV with boards bolted to the roof, strut around reliving their youth in comfort. 

wassa Bach?

never mind.

It's where we dumped our old trams :D

image.jpeg.862028e7e34e200b54bd68d64ce92f64.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gissie said:
1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

Obviously never been near an average Kiwi west coast beach. Although the left hand break is pretty epic.

Rags can have it's moments but Meli knows all because google...

2 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:
4 minutes ago, 00seven said:

So what? You don't know anything about NZ beaches. Best you just STFU.

Now I do. 

Of course you do. Regale us with your intimate knowledge then....<_<

Ashley Bloomfield reports that while 50% of eligible New Zealanders are double vaccinated, just 6% of the cases in this current local outbreak over age 12 were fully vaccinated. So the Pfizer vaccine, at least, is holding up remarkably well against the Delta variant. And the virus is severely punishing those unvaccinated who have now ended up in hospital.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

And the virus is severely punishing those unvaccinated who have now ended up in hospital.

So we should just let it rip and let people take some responsibility for their decisions. Darwin needs a helping hand here, not roadblocks.

10 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Ashley Bloomfield reports that while 50% of eligible New Zealanders are double vaccinated, just 6% of the cases in this current local outbreak over age 12 were fully vaccinated. So the Pfizer vaccine, at least, is holding up remarkably well against the Delta variant. And the virus is severely punishing those unvaccinated who have now ended up in hospital.

4073 fully recovered.

308 current cases.

27 in hospital.

At the peak of the recent RSV epidemic over 951 people were hospitalised at one time.

4434 were hospitalised for RSV.  

17 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

4073 fully recovered.

308 current cases.

27 in hospital.

At the peak of the recent RSV epidemic over 951 people were hospitalised at one time.

4434 were hospitalised for RSV.  

Yeah but RSV mainly impacts babies and little children, we don't care about them. It is the old folk that need saving...

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Yeah but RSV mainly impacts babies and little children, we don't care about them. It is the old folk that need saving...

Don't get me started.  This is a sailing forum and I see the same attitude in sailing clubs.  Full of old rich men who don't give a fuck about the future.

15 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

11 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Your opinion on this?  

It has zero effect on me so I don't have an opinion on it. I imagine people wanting to join large groups of people might have an opinion though.

57 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Your opinion on this?  

Sounds like a standard pr puff piece, happily parroted by RNZ. Lots of 'soon', 'looking into', 'likely', 'possibly', short on specifics.

You would almost think they are making this shit up as they go along. :(

So looks like Kate will have to forego her summer concerts, sans vaccine certificate, sorry covidiot.

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

Sounds like a standard pr puff piece, happily parroted by RNZ. Lots of 'soon', 'looking into', 'likely', 'possibly', short on specifics.

You would almost think they are making this shit up as they go along. :(

Are you lining up with our resident Kiwi troll?

2 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Are you lining up with our resident Kiwi troll?

U like your dear self, I find that there are many out there where I can disagree on some things and agree on others. Kate is one of them, you, not so sure as you are often blind once you have decided which camp someone is in.

As for the link, did you read it? If so, am I incorrect in my comment?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

So looks like Kate will have to forego her summer concerts, sans vaccine certificate, sorry covidiot.

Going to a summer concert is the least of our worries in NZ.  Unless you are employed by the Government our biggest worry is making ends meet.

Have you sold those Pzifer shares yet to fund your world tour?

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Going to a summer concert is the least of our worries in NZ.  Unless you are employed by the Government our biggest worry is making ends meet.

Now you're claiming to be a Kiwi?

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

7 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Keep up Librarian- I've never claimed to be anyone!  

Of course not. You're a sock puppet.

Our worries?

Whatever you say Mikey. 

Just now, SloopJohnB said:

18 months in the making.;) and they still spin it.

Oh yeah. It is either what the scientists say or what the polls says. They are giving Trump supporters a run for their money on how not to think.

In Auckland the launching ramps are full of fishos getting out today. And recreational sailing is permitted now. Only unmasked if you are the same bubble. And no going into the cabin. 

And we should reach 80% of all people 15+ in the country vaccinated today - and probably 50% double vaccinated. I had my second on Friday, and my 2 teenaged kids will get their second next week. We will move from 50% to 70% double vax across the country by mid November - and 80+ in Auckland. Then the world wide ratios will look pretty good again. Yes, a late start under elimination, but working hard to be safe under contaiment.

The deniers are waning. It is now the remote and not caring to get to.

1 minute ago, Jono said:

In Auckland the launching ramps are full of fishos getting out today. And recreational sailing is permitted now. Only unmasked if you are the same bubble. And no going into the cabin. 

And we should reach 80% of all people 15+ in the country vaccinated today - and probably 50% double vaccinated. I had my second on Friday, and my 2 teenaged kids will get their second next week. We will move from 50% to 70% double vax across the country by mid November - and 80+ in Auckland. Then the world wide ratios will look pretty good again. Yes, a late stat under elimination, but working hard to be safe under contaiment.

The deniers are waning. It is now the remote and not caring to get to.

You are racing ahead of the USA on vaccination, congrats. Sorry that Delta proved too transmissable to be eliminated.

47 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Mikey lives?  He knows better than to come back on PA….

This new one claims to be a Kiwi, but is surprisingly similar to the faux-Dr (ph, not md)

1 minute ago, Raz&#x27;r said:

This new one claims to be a Kiwi, but is surprisingly similar to the faux-Dr (ph, not md)

Yeah that’s complete BS.  Took all of a couple of minutes reading his posts to spot him. As long as he stays in CA that’s fine.  Place is a cesspool of Covid deniers and I don’t frequent it.

3 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Such are the burdens we bear.

Meli, I hate to burst your bubble, but Kate is not Mikey. He is a card carrying member of the SA troll club (we are known as the SAS - Sailing Anarchy Shitfighters - and our motto is "Who cares, who wins"). But we have a code of honour and he ain't Mike. For one thing he can reply without using 3000 words and including a folksy story about his outdoorsman adventures. 

• Like 1

That's what we did for a year till most of our friends could get vaccinated. My wife had a group of women friends, all 50-70 years old, who met every Sunday morning OUTSIDE and socially distanced and masked on one member's porch for 2-3 hours, no matter what the weather. They did it through the winter, which can be cold and snowy here. We only started having friends over to our home or visited others once everyone in our circle was double vaccinated, around March/April, and even then it felt weird at first. Until then all group activities were outside, mostly around iceboating and skating and skiing and later sailing and kitesurfing. You kiwis have it much easier to do that till most everyone is double vaccinated. Of course, by now we are past all of that, freely gathering indoors and out, sans masks and social distancing. We only take precautions now when we go out to restaurants, and only do that on non-busy evenings, not weekends. Mask wearing still mandated, and observed, in all indoor public settings in Illinois.

We now have a home backup generator. If we get a long outage, I struggle with what to do about neighbors. The ones across the street with little kids for sure ain't vax material. The next door ones are vaxxed. 

Maybe I need a shotgun. 

19 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Meli, I hate to burst your bubble, but Kate is not Mikey. He is a card carrying member of the SA troll club (we are known as the SAS - Sailing Anarchy Shitfighters - and our motto is "Who cares, who wins"). But we have a code of honour and he ain't Mike. For one thing he can reply without using 3000 words and including a folksy story about his outdoorsman adventures. 

Who the fuck cares?

He/she/it/* is still full of shit, all the time, at an alarming rate of BS postings.

Then again, contrary to the beginning of the pandemic, when SA/CA sometimes was a good source of information from educated people working the ground, today's Qrona Anarchy is mostly for entertainment - if one digs some saggy old scrotes making up shit about a potentially deadly disease.

Your "code of honour troll club" is nothing but a bunch of wankers stuck in the late nienties.

Buy a fucking calendar.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Grog said:

Who the fuck cares?

He/she/it/* is still full of shit, all the time, at an alarming rate of BS postings.

Then again, contrary to the beginning of the pandemic, when SA/CA sometimes was a good source of information from educated people working the ground, today's Qrona Anarchy is mostly for entertainment - if one digs some saggy old scrotes making up shit about a potentially deadly disease.

Your "code of honour troll club" is nothing but a bunch of wankers stuck in the late nienties.

Buy a fucking calendar.

Oh my, got your tits caught in the wringer did you?

6 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

We now have a home backup generator. If we get a long outage, I struggle with what to do about neighbors. The ones across the street with little kids for sure ain't vax material. The next door ones are vaxxed. 

Maybe I need a shotgun. 

What kind of gun did Granny have in The Beverly Hillbillies? - Quora

:D

4 hours ago, Grog said:

Who the fuck cares?

Well not I cupcake. You have just written a long post telling us how little you care.

Well done- it’s early yet, but you are looking good for ‘Dickhead of the day’.

I believe the appropriate response is Eat my fuck.

Have a nice day.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, LB 15 said:

Ah shit, you’re  right on the last bit.

Northland into lockdown because some fucking slapper sneaked out of Auckland for a break. Seems it is okay to name and shame the rich white folk when they do it. But be brown and you get privacy for your dumb ass actions. Still at least the would have been travelling on the taxpayers coin.

Bunch of entitled, bludging arseholes.

• Like 1