Fingers crossed for New Zealand

38 minutes ago, Gissie said:

When you live in the place the Bush telegraph is fairly good up here. As for the media, why would any of them print things that make St Jacinda look bad? They rely on her money to survive and have happily become the Judas of NZ for the thirty pieces of silver.

But at least the 'no link' cry can allow you to pretend you know what is happening in another country. Plus, even if there was one, you would bitch about where it came from. Any excuse seems to be your motto.

gossip then.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The vaccination thing has been a huge media beatup in NZ. Yes we have a low uptake, partly because of slow delivery from Pfizer ( not criticising them. With no covid until recently we were low priorit

Very true. But Germans, as in at least parts of the general public, actively working around those orders (if not ignoring them altogether) is pretty novel. And this is not about following orders,

NZ did get some of it right, what we didn't realise is that the government wasn't doing anything to prepare us for the next step. A big feature in most of the plans exposed has been a large spend on P

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Why would she go bush a day before the Northland case was publicly announced??????

Well the coppers had been trying to get onto the marae for a couple of days, so she would have had warning.

Not that I think she could be dodging the podium of hoof.

51 minutes ago, BOI Guy said:

Leading the world, we now get locked down for no cases in the community

No cases apart from the travelling booker, plus her mate, who is going to be let off if she gives some info on where she went.

Not that they want too much detail, because then it might look bad on the idiots that let it happen.

After yesterday's vaxathon, the whole of NZ is 65% double vax, and 85% single jab.Auckland region is 90%

And that is all people 12+, not just adults.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Jono said:

After yesterday's vaxathon, the whole of NZ is 65% double vax, and 85% single jab.Auckland region is 90%

Great job! You really do have a team of five million when it comes to some things that really matter.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jono said:

excellent :)

2 hours ago, Jono said:

Amazing how all those folk that didn't trust the government because of past wrongs seem to suddenly find it isn't such a big deal to get off their arses after all...

3 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Along with the koha

You mean prizes and donations to charity? 

If it works to get the kids done, go for it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-70000-in-prizes-to-get-young-adults-vaccinated/DSRJLMQ6OFLBSGFWCWAAHHNQPE/

Daily prize draws and cash giveaways to schools and charities are being offered in a new initiative to get people aged 20-35 vaccinated.

From today people in that age bracket who scan their QR code at Auckland Airport's Park & Ride vaccination centre will also be able to enter their details to win daily prizes worth a combined total of $70,000.

Prizes range from smart phones, mobile devices, whiteware appliances, hotel stays, pendants and $42,000 in $100 gift card vouchers.

Auckland Airport chief executive Adrian Littlewood said the airport wanted to support the vaccination drive with a new initiative called "Doing it for each other".

"With vaccination rates lower in the 20-35 age group, Auckland Airport and a group of Kiwi businesses are offering to pitch in and support the next phase of the vaccination drive, testing and trying new tactics to boost numbers."

3 hours ago, Gissie said:

It's a great idea - reward the lazy fucks who just couldn't be bothered before.

Darwin should be unchained.

The free maccas and pizza were given to those who were already vaccinated by the companies. no different from Woolies giving away little toys to customers.

5 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

The free maccas and pizza were given to those who were already vaccinated by the companies. no different from Woolies giving away little toys to customers.

If a private company wishes to do so, go for it. When a government decides that it is reward time for the lazy arseholes, then I disagree.

When did it become so wrong to expect people to take responsibility for the choices they make in life.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Well if there is ever a shooting war you can give free hamburgers to those that are inducted.

A new advertising plan.

WWIII, bought to you by McDonald's.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, Gissie said:

Obviously never been near an average Kiwi west coast beach. Although the left hand break is pretty epic. downloadfile-1.jpg.929af8835b5cf6bb66e63ff8fb4ee73e.jpg

Damn that is a fine break! Sadly being a Queenslander I can only go right.

In warm water.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Damn that is a fine break! Sadly being a Queenslander I can only go right.

In warm water.

Most certainly is.

After to long in warmer climes I must admit the water temps in this fair country could do with a good dose of climate change.

Although, knowing our luck, we will get the runoff from Antarctica and sea temps will go down.

23 hours ago, Gissie said:

If a private company wishes to do so, go for it. When a government decides that it is reward time for the lazy arseholes, then I disagree.

When did it become so wrong to expect people to take responsibility for the choices they make in life.

Shoot, Amerikans seem to like their lotto, so one of our states set one up. Get a vax, get a chance to win!

image.png.1b50530fde62ffe9dde7def2baf8bcdf.png

image.png.5cbcd56657bbe6c6d660029362b6e763.png

45 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Shoot, Amerikans seem to like their lotto, so one of our states set one up. Get a vax, get a chance to win!

image.png.1b50530fde62ffe9dde7def2baf8bcdf.png

image.png.5cbcd56657bbe6c6d660029362b6e763.png

The problem is, they should have given a ticket to every person that had already had the vaccine. Otherwise it is rewarding the slackers.

Here, they estimate it is costing 1 billion NZD a week to lockdown Auckland. Now on week 8 (I think) and at least two more to go. They could have paid everyone $1000 for their second shot. All those that are to lazy to bother would be queued up by the thousands. Those that would turn it down will never get it anyway and should have an anti vax passport, to be checked if they go to a hospital. No health care for covid.

54 minutes ago, Gissie said:

The problem is, they should have given a ticket to every person that had already had the vaccine. Otherwise it is rewarding the slackers.

Here, they estimate it is costing 1 billion NZD a week to lockdown Auckland. Now on week 8 (I think) and at least two more to go. They could have paid everyone $1000 for their second shot. All those that are to lazy to bother would be queued up by the thousands. Those that would turn it down will never get it anyway and should have an anti vax passport, to be checked if they go to a hospital. No health care for covid.

Plenty of healthcare for them. Ivermectin, Hydroxy, vitamin C, zinc, a tanning booth...

4 hours ago, Gissie said:

No need to give me a ticket, I was thrilled and grateful to get vaxxed as quickly as we did.

I am curious at the economic impact of those two ding-dongs who shut us down here in Northland for the last two weeks. Near 200,000 people shut down, and if they'd just given up their contact tracing info when asked we probably could have gotten back to Level 2 earlier.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

No need to give me a ticket, I was thrilled and grateful to get vaxxed as quickly as we did.

I am curious at the economic impact of those two ding-dongs who shut us down here in Northland for the last two weeks. Near 200,000 people shut down, and if they'd just given up their contact tracing info when asked we probably could have gotten back to Level 2 earlier.

It would appear if you are a rich white couple heading to Wanaka, name and shame. If you are a couple of Chinese working girls sneaking into Blenheim, name and shame, even photo on TV.

A couple of whanau Mongrel Mob slappers, full privacy.

Still at least they hold the record as best sex workers in NZ, they fucked the whole of Northland in 2 days.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

What a hospital pass thrown by the pm to Ashley at 1300hrs. 

To be honest I have watched part of one Podium of Hoof show, that was more than enough for me. I have long since left kindy and prefer to be treated like an adult.

However Jacinda is good at the flick pass, assuming she even turns up when there is bad news to be announced. I am sure she scored well in any 'shoving others under the bus' course she has done.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Gissie said:

To be honest I have watched part of one Podium of Hoof show, that was more than enough for me. I have long since left kindy and prefer to be treated like an adult.

However Jacinda is good at the flick pass, assuming she even turns up when there is bad news to be announced. I am sure she scored well in any 'shoving others under the bus' course she has done.

Must be a leftwit thing. Our moron Premier in QLD only shows up to make the good news announcements , but leave the bad news to her Fuckwit deputy or CHO.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Must be a leftwit thing. Our moron Premier in QLD only shows up to make the good news announcements , but leave the bad news to her Fuckwit deputy or CHO.

Not sure if a leftwit thing, but certainly the sign of a weak and spineless leader.

• Like 1
On 10/18/2021 at 5:02 PM, B.J. Porter said:

If only they were just ding-dongs.  Any repercussions down there for willful acts of spreading ding-dongery?  Like lawsuits for recovering economic damages from willfully anti socially aggressive ding-dongs?  I can imagine a ding dong being served- ding dong! :lol:  or would it be knock knock? <_<

On 10/18/2021 at 1:33 PM, Raz&#x27;r said:

Plenty of healthcare for them. Ivermectin, Hydroxy, vitamin C, zinc, a tanning booth...

Don’t forget blocking people on Twitter, Travis Twitt style!  A tough manly  attitude is such an integral part of fighting COVID!  

On 10/9/2021 at 12:22 AM, BOI Guy said:

Leading the world, we now get locked down for no cases in the community

I’ll trade you North Idaho for your inconvenience down there.  There are folks up here who are trying to get COVID so they can prove how tough they are.  Some have succeeded, and they show up for work after testing positive, because hey!  They don’t fear COVID!  Like liberals do. It’s no big deal. At least one guy I know of left a job site when asked.  But he was bewildered, and pissed, by God! This is a guy who is religious about wearing a dust mask when he’s cutting concrete, but won’t wear a mask for COVID.

I wish I was kidding…

On 10/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, LB 15 said:

Not True.

Anna showed up today to warn the gold coast crowd that they need to lift their pathetic Vax rates because of that Uber Driver on the loose. 

You don't watch the ABC. That's fine. 

But strangely, if you don't watch her press conferences, she doesn't show up. Very odd that.

NZ passed 70% double vaxed today. 60% 10 days ago. However total population 12+ 1 jab or more has moved from 83.1 to 86.5 in that time. I'm not sure which statistic is actually more significant. Probably in world headline terms the former. In actual health terms the latter.

Not that I'm keeping a daily record or anyhing......

• Like 1

And we have 50 people in hospital across the whole country and 4 in intensive care / ICU / HDU call it what you will. I think that is probably an even better statistic. Mind you, our whole country of 5 million is less than many cities metropolitan areas. But stll a good place to be.

20 hours ago, Jono said:

And we have 50 people in hospital across the whole country and 4 in intensive care / ICU / HDU call it what you will. I think that is probably an even better statistic. Mind you, our whole country of 5 million is less than many cities metropolitan areas. But stll a good place to be.

But our future is being planned on each individual DHB being at 90% twin jabbed before we can move on.

That is going to take a long time, no matter how much money we throw at those pretending to have the answer.

Although I am sure the Mercedes sales team are as happy as pigs in shit.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:03 PM, ShortForBob said:

Not True.

Anna showed up today to warn the gold coast crowd that they need to lift their pathetic Vax rates because of that Uber Driver on the loose. 

You don't watch the ABC. That's fine. 

But strangely, if you don't watch her press conferences, she doesn't show up. Very odd that.

Oddly enough you think only the ABC cover press conferences. Now shut up and leave our Kiwi brothers in peace.

5 hours ago, Gissie said:

But our future is being planned on each individual DHB being at 90% twin jabbed before we can move on.

I bet that will change to 90% of the Maori and Pacific population and not just 90% of the eligible population.

37 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

I bet that will change to 90% of the Maori and Pacific population and not just 90% of the eligible population.

They have chosen to use DHB's rather than going directly to a racial division. It does still work out the same, but the government can pretend they care for the team of 5 million, rather than the team of 650,000.

As for the PI's, they are not a problem, never have been. They have a younger demographic, so it looked like they were behind. Once the under 50's where open for the jab they took off and are not far behind everyone else.

Excluding the Maori of course. Not the older ones, they are highly vaxxed. Not the middle class ones, they are highly vaxxed. The younger ones, not so much. The gangs, not so much. Still, they do have their hands out for some cash or goodies. And we are happy to supply it...

On 10/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, 00seven said:

Hey. What's up with Adern shoulder charging the sign language interpreter at the news conference?

The interpreter didn't hear her coming?

27 minutes ago, Gissie said:

The interpreter didn't hear her coming?

Yeah right. I'm sure it was the interpreter's fault....Jacinda (what a loverly name) wouldn't do anything wrong, would she? (searching for tongue in cheek emoji)

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, 00seven said:

Yeah right. I'm sure it was the interpreter's fault....Jacinda (what a loverly name) wouldn't do anything wrong, would she? (searching for tongue in cheek emoji)

Apart from an exceptional ability to chuck people under the bus, she is perfectly normal.

You guys are incredibly ungrateful for a PM who can speak in complete sentences, answer questions from the press sensibly, and even has a real plan that can be articulated. I wish you all well and hope to be there this time next year to experience things in person.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

You guys are incredibly ungrateful for a PM who can speak in complete sentences, answer questions from the press sensibly, and even has a real plan that can be articulated. I wish you all well and hope to be there this time next year to experience things in person.

Just like you she talks in slogans.  She likes travel as well except not to the jail cell Auckland City. 

2 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Yeah but the media is partly subsided by the government, so she can answer the sculptured questions.

8 hours ago, TheDragon said:

she is addressing a population that has high swing and relatively low vote emn till i die numbers

so radicalizing her core would only serve to alienate the ones she really needs

hence she needed to have some sort of logical pathway

not that she has achieved great strides with that ... but it is relatively acceptable and understandable

or to put it in simple terms .. she is where she is not because of who or what she is .. but because of the people she is addressing

Two cases in Christchurch, that sucks, hope they can put a lid on it there. 

Gissie, I would not claim to understand all of what goes on in kiwi land, just as you surely don’t understand all that goes on in my home. I’m just commenting that your PM is a huge step up from the murderous idiot we had dealing with our pandemic until recently.

Gissie, I would not claim to understand all of what goes on in kiwi land, just as you surely don’t understand all that goes on in my home. I’m just commenting that your PM is a huge step up from the murderous idiot we had dealing with our pandemic until recently.

Fine, yet if I made any noise that your previous 'murderous idiot' Actually did some good things you would climb down my throat.

The reality is never black and white, but that is a conversation that belongs elsewhere.

to be fair

buzz lightyear before he was unboxed could have done a better job with the covid response than trump  .. or even just being a president

10 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Well that's damning with faint praise :D

Mr Burns and Homer could have done a better (and less corrupt) job than YFG.

Trump did two good things. First, he initiated border closures, albeit completely ineffectively (e.g. American's allowed to return home without testing or effective quarantine), and completely missed the fact that the virus was also entering from Italy. Second, he agreed to support the vaccine development WARPSPEED program, which was an amazing success.

BUT he fucked it up by then not going out and vociferously encouraging his 40% of the US population to get vaccinated. Not only did he not get vaccinated in public (and remember he got vaccinated after having contracted and survived covid, which lots of covidiots insist is not necessary), he will surely get a booster shot and again not do it in public. If, instead of carrying on endlessly about "the steal", he would be out there pushing his supporters to get vaccinated he could still save tens of thousands of lives (we lose an average of 1500 a day, essentially all unvaccinated Trumpians). But of course he will not do that. Indeed almost all Republican politicians are now too scared to do that, just witness senator Lindsey Graham getting booed at a rally for encouraging folks to get vaccinated. They are cowardly backboneless scum.

Auckland has reached the magic 90%, several others are close.

NEW ZEALAND

Covid-19 Delta Outbreak: One person dies while isolating with Covid at South Auckland address

How close is each DHB to 90%?

The chart below shows the vaccination rate for every DHB in the country and how many second dosesfirst doses are required to reach 90%.

Fully vaccinated

Partly vaccinated

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-one-person-dies-while-isolating-with-covid-at-south-auckland-address/MCXYD7R2PYIIAUZY4CASIXXL6E/#Echobox=1635923611

48 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

Auckland has reached the magic 90%, several others are close.

NEW ZEALAND

Covid-19 Delta Outbreak: One person dies while isolating with Covid at South Auckland address

How close is each DHB to 90%?

The chart below shows the vaccination rate for every DHB in the country and how many second dosesfirst doses are required to reach 90%.

Fully vaccinated

Partly vaccinated

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-one-person-dies-while-isolating-with-covid-at-south-auckland-address/MCXYD7R2PYIIAUZY4CASIXXL6E/#Echobox=1635923611

NZ may have been late to the table, but they made up lost time well. It certainly is not a model that easily generalizes to larger populations that are not so easily isolated, but it is still impressive by any rational standard.

One question is how the negative economic fallout from the pandemic will compare to other countries.

35 minutes ago, accnick said:

NZ may have been late to the table, but they made up lost time well. It certainly is not a model that easily generalizes to larger populations that are not so easily isolated, but it is still impressive by any rational standard.

One question is how the negative economic fallout from the pandemic will compare to other countries.

Unemployment is now down to 4%

NZ economy in the world’s ‘strongest position’ to recover from pandemic

A report shows the economy is careening forward ahead of the rest of the world – but New Zealand needs to quickly find a new way to feed the economic beast without the 'sugar rush' of population growth.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/nz-economy-in-the-worlds-strongest-position

Weekly Economic Update 29 October 2021

https://www.treasury.govt.nz/sites/default/files/2021-10/weu-29oct21.pdf

B.C. is now about 85% of eligible (>age 12) fully vaccinated and 76% of total population fully.

Are your vax rates % of the total population or % of the >age 12 population?

On 11/4/2021 at 2:24 AM, Terry Hollis said:

Unemployment is now down to 4%

NZ economy in the world’s ‘strongest position’ to recover from pandemic

A report shows the economy is careening forward ahead of the rest of the world – but New Zealand needs to quickly find a new way to feed the economic beast without the 'sugar rush' of population growth.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/nz-economy-in-the-worlds-strongest-position

Weekly Economic Update 29 October 2021

https://www.treasury.govt.nz/sites/default/files/2021-10/weu-29oct21.pdf

4.9% inflation rate - the highest quarter rise (excluding GST increase effects) since 1987!

Highest level of Government debt ever - record Debt to GDP %.

Yep the NZ economy is on a roll!!

The article you are spruiking is based on a Ernst Young report that is decidedly one dimensional.

Didn't Treasury say this week that the NZ Government either needed to tax more or spend less?  Both will suppress the economy.

14 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Didn't Treasury say this week that the NZ Government either needed to tax more or spend less?  Both will suppress the economy.

They won't "suppress the economy" if done properly. Most developed countries have pumped liquidity into their economies during the pandemic to keep economic activity up, and are now ramping that down to reduce inflationary pressures.

Give them a little space and time to do their jobs properly.

If they can't make the hard decisions--which governments often fail to do--that's another story.

At least in the US, most people have money in their pockets right now, and excess demand for goods and services, and resultant shortages, are creating inflationary pressures. Both the chair of the Federal Reserve and the Secretary of the Treasury believe these pressures are short-term, but are willing to act (within their remits) if necessary.

While economic comparisons between NZ and the US may be tenuous, the same economic forces are generally at work world-wide right now. The pandemic has upset the apple cart, and we will all be picking up the pieces for quite some time.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, Kate short for Bob said:

The article you are spruiking is based on a Ernst Young report that is decidedly one dimensional.

How can you doubt EY. They created a report that the AC was worth in excess of €500 million to Cork. Which is why they have agreed to front the cash...

On 11/5/2021 at 5:49 AM, Zonker said:

B.C. is now about 85% of eligible (>age 12) fully vaccinated and 76% of total population fully.

Are your vax rates % of the total population or % of the >age 12 population?

Percentage of an estimated population that seems to be well under reality. As an example, in Auckland there have been 49,000 Asian males >49 years age vaccinated out of an expected total of 47,000. The thoughts are that the numbers used are between 5-10% low.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:32 AM, Kate short for Bob said:

4.9% inflation rate - the highest quarter rise (excluding GST increase effects) since 1987!

Highest level of Government debt ever - record Debt to GDP %.

Yep the NZ economy is on a roll!!

and the big increase in the "Job Seeker" numbers.

Russell Coutts is obviously going to run for public office. He is ranting on about the tragedy of people losing jobs by not getting vaxxed, people recoverd from covid being required to get vaxxed "with no explanation" yadda yadda. Maybe NZ health needs better communications if they don't know and tell vax provides added longterm immunity but all in all he is setting g up for Musk money. Larry is right-wing now but Larry is big on vaxx. Coutts is dogwhistling the vax and Jacinda resistant. 

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Russell Coutts is obviously going to run for public office. He is ranting on about the tragedy of people losing jobs by not getting vaxxed, people recoverd from covid being required to get vaxxed "with no explanation" yadda yadda. Maybe NZ health needs better communications if they don't know and tell vax provides added longterm immunity but all in all he is setting g up for Musk money. Larry is right-wing now but Larry is big on vaxx. Coutts is dogwhistling the vax and Jacinda resistant. 

No way he is running for office. Some of what he says is true however. Kiwis are stuck overseas unable to return. No job, no visa left, there is no be kind. Just wait in the queue and hope.

As for people losing their jobs for not being vaxxed, certainly true. Although the rules haven't been spelt out as yet, even though they came into force on 1 Nov. There are of course exemptions, but no details on what and how, still being worked on.

As for our Ministry of Health having better communication, would be a great idea. Although they would have to have an actual plan to communicate first.

Those in charge are the shining example Dalton is following. Get up in front of the cameras and announce a date when an announcement will be made on when an announcement will be made. Meanwhile, float lots of ideas through the bought media and ditch the ones people don't like.

They have recently announced that Aucklanders, after 3 months of lockdown will be able to travel out of the city for Christmas. Sort of, maybe, working out how, vaccine passport required, passport still being developed.

Coutts is just venting some of the frustration that is building up and, because of who he is, gets press coverage.

this little extract from CS lewis puts a-lot into perspective. - Borrowed 

Very Applicable to today: written by CS Lewis in 1948

“In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. ‘How are we to live in an atomic age?’ I am tempted to reply: ‘Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.’

In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anaesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.

This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.”

2 hours ago, NZL32 said:

this little extract from CS lewis puts a-lot into perspective. - Borrowed 

Very Applicable to today: written by CS Lewis in 1948

“In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. ‘How are we to live in an atomic age?’ I am tempted to reply: ‘Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.’

In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anaesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.

This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.”

cool guy with an unusual brain.

He probably took mind altering substances

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
      Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
      And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
      The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
      And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
      The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
      He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
      Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
      He chortled in his joy.

8 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

cool guy with an unusual brain.

He probably took mind altering substances

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
      Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
      And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
      The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
      And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
      The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
      He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
      Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
      He chortled in his joy.

oops, wrong Lewis :)

And the whole country 12+is now 81% double vaxxed and 90.2% single jab. Auckland will be 90% double vaxxed tomorrow.

Better than most.

Plus still single figures ICU across the whole country. Again better than most 

• Like 3

Loved how Little got pushed in front of the cameras to explain people have misunderstood freedom day for Auckland. It will come, sometime, possibly, sort of.

Then Ardern says she there is a possibility of the whole country going into the traffic light system when Auckland does. But she is unsure, she is still thinking about it and will make an announcement at a later date on when she may make an announcement on a possible certain decision.

I wonder who will get a plan or venue first - Ardern or Dalton.

at this point i would suggest the plan they are trying for is

slow nation wide infection at a rate the hospitals can handle

which at some point ready or not was always going to happen .. short of having permanent lockdown responses

they were hopeful of a more complete and faster vaccine response but so far the students of wackjob u are holding fast

• Like 1
16 hours ago, phill_nz said:

which at some point ready or not was always going to happen .. short of having permanent lockdown responses

they were hopeful of a more complete and faster vaccine response but so far the students of wackjob u are holding fast

Heading towards 90% double vaxxed for whole of country suggests you don't have too many wackjobs, especially compared to other places. The wacko's have had their chance and made their decision.

On 11/13/2021 at 11:30 PM, phill_nz said:

This is the theme everywhere now.  With the advent of Delta, we aren't going to get rid of the virus through vaccination, but vaccination can limit the impact on hospitals by minimizing the number of cases that go critical.  As it stands we have to wait for the un-vaxxed loonies clogging up the ICU's to die or recover before we can proceed with removing restrictions.

what they dont seem to realize is it makes much more sense to ...

believe them, then hang them if they are wrong

than to

not believe them and hang yourself to prove it

^ Yes. Compare with elsewhere.

Germany has a low level of vaccinations and currently escalating cases.

UK has a reasonably high level of vaccinations, no restrictions to speak of and the number of cases has been high but also stable enough and with few enough hospitalisations for health services to continue to function, so far at least. Main driver on case numbers lately has been schoolkids, we were really late to start vaccinating them. They then go on to infect mum and dad who were vaccinated but immunity is now fading. Booster programme is running.

France has similar vaccination rate to UK but loads of restrictions. Cases are much lower.

So, pick your poison. I'd go with what France has done, personally.

4 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Main driver on case numbers lately has been schoolkids, we were really late to start vaccinating them. They then go on to infect mum and dad who were vaccinated but immunity is now fading.

Apart from a few inaccurate newspapers headlines where is the data to support your statement?

It is often quoted that this is the case in the UK but the data doesn't confirm that.  There have been more cases in the population in those over 18 than under in the UK.

More importantly the under 18s due to their lower risk of serious illness have not contributed disproportionately to hospitalisation rates.