Is LaserPerformance planning a new dinghy???

Hi all,

Have you been paying attention to LaserPerformance social media? They have been posting some stories and some pictures of a new design boat, allegedly in carbon.

I leave nearby Setubal, in Portugal, and  last week i've spotted a LP van towing a boat, that doesn't seem familiar to me

IMG_0997.thumb.JPEG.35e955fcf16642880b18603f408d4de5.JPEG

Do you guys know anything about this?

Fair winds all.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:58 AM, WestCoast said:

LP released (or is planning to?) a new plastic boat called the 'Cascais.'

https://www.laserperformance.us/pages/cascais

--

Interestingly, the picture of the boat you spotted is different than the Cascais...

We're not an LP dealer anymore, so couldn't be sure.  Looks plastic from the picture though.

Agree, defo not a Cascais.  Cascais is available to order in NA now.  I was quoted arrival between November and Summer about a week after the detailed order page and brochure hit their website.  Did not actually order, just inquiring.  Concerned it would be slow without any in the water to get feedback/press about.  Only the Fun package was available with aluminum mast/boom and rec sails.  XD and Race models would be available "later".  The 1 to 4 crew seemed too good to be true in a boat that size, but we'll see. 

23 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Big boy Pico?

Might be interesting - between the Cascais and Bahia - maybe 14 foot 2 up rotomoulded?  Could be.  Looks a little like a Melges 14 from the rear but the gunwales/wings don't seem quite as pronounced forward.  I don't see a thwart or sidestays 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:15 AM, Wavedancer II said:

It's their new ILCA!

LP finally saw the light...

How's that? it doesn't seem anything like a Laser or an Ilca as you might call it these days.

I've been looking for the Cascais video present at the LP Cascais website and if you pay attention, in the end you can spot a Cascais a Laser and some other boat..

image.thumb.png.ffee5b21ecc94d348a9248c346e45c76.png

It might be interesting to see what are they planning...

Not sure about elsewhere, but in the UK LP (as was) churned out lots of different boats* over the years so it would not be surprising to see some more coming along.

*these are just the ones I can remember (excluding Dart catamarans)- Laser 13, Laser 16, Laser 2000, Laser 3000 Laser 4000, Laser 5000, Laser EPS, Laser Bahia, Laser Vortex, Laser Vago, Laser Stratos, Laser Pico, Laser Bug, Laser Funboat

• Like 2

Do you think that the LaserPerformance German Dealer has something to do with it? I know that their family have a well known company that makes dinghies..i wonder what type of boat is that... 

I don't see any RS that has a transom like that, but well.. I don't know them all.

The boat looked really nice, i will pay attention to the waters here in Setubal, where i sail.. maybe it will appear again..

till then.. we will just have to wait.. 

true detective work... :D

video on Laserperformance - Cascais website at 1m18s, you can see the bow of the boat you are talking about... LOL

Still, don't have a clue what it is... :angry: dam...

v1.png

On 9/11/2021 at 12:53 AM, F18sailor said:

true detective work... :D

video on Laserperformance - Cascais website at 1m18s, you can see the bow of the boat you are talking about... LOL

Still, don't have a clue what it is... :angry: dam...

v1.png

Interesting bow in the background .

Any clues as to what it is ?

2 hours ago, Justaquickone said:

Interesting bow in the background .

Any clues as to what it is ?

Didn't the Shaw 4.0 have a bow like that? ;)

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Didn't the Shaw 4.0 have a bow like that? ;)

Have never seen  or heard of a Shaw 4.0

At first glance I thought multihull , then saw the rig and thought unstayed singlehanded mono .

Will do a search on the Shaw for interest sake .

There was a thread in here a while back, maybe archived now. I'll see what I can find, I don't remember the name of the thread.

• Like 1

Jethrow. 

You might be onto something with this . I wonder if LP have bought the hull design and put a version of the ARC rig on it . 

If it is, this is boat that’s missed its time . The gap in the market has gone.

For any one under 100kg the Aero and Zero are a much better and well sorted boats .

And if your over 100kg in the uk you already have the choice of boats like the phantom, Hadron h2 or Finn. 

But I am still interested on any further news or info on its launch date . 
TBH I am a little suspicious that we are being played . A new posters  first post is a shot of a new dinghy that no one has seen before .

Put the other one it’s got bells on.  Lol :D

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Justaquickone said:

Found the site and a couple of youtube videos .

Not alot of activity considering they're from 2013 .

@Justaquickone I believe that even though it was a nice looking boat and quite a promising design, only one was ever built... :(

• Like 1

Xeon

I'm 1.75m and 91kg, I own a RS Aero 9, great for light winds, but when it gets above 12knots and choppy the boat is a disaster, the hull cant support a sailor above 90kg, the lack of bow buoyancy is horrendous downwind. It's so bad, that on the Europeans this year the Aero 9 had no class, even in the UK nationals they only had 11 boats. 

I don´t know the Phantom (never sailed it), but compare to more modern boats with seams heavy and big, out dated design and very expensive!!!

H2, looks good, still extremely expensive and only available in the UK.

I believe there is still the lack of a boat that is light, performant good looking (even owning an Aero I find the boat ugly as hell) and well priced... (ILCA priced)

If someone would have such a boat, it would be a success...

The problem is no boat of this size can be ILCA priced and still have a carbon mast and have carbon or epoxy in its hull construction. 

Anyway doesn’t the Melges 14 with its largest rig already  fill this section of the market ? 

Xeon...

don't really know why such a boat cannot be ILCA priced. 

Have you seen latest ILCA prices!!!!  9.000€ for a 50 year old design, made of a bunch of fibre glass and aluminium tubes... it’s offensive.

ILCA is not a boat anymore it’s a world class business.

• Like 1

It’s so nice to see so many new people posting about a boat they haven’t seen and telling us how there is a gap in the market for it .While slyly dissing some of their competitors.

Call me suspicious if you will , but think this thread is turning into LP sock puppet heaven :D

42 minutes ago, Xeon said:

It’s so nice to see so many new people posting about a boat they haven’t seen and telling us how there is a gap in the market for it .While slyly dissing some of their competitors.

Call me suspicious if you will , but think this thread is turning into LP sock puppet heaven :D

Xeon, as you might see, i am not new in SA. i am a registered user since 2008 maybe in that time you didn't even know what sailing was or you just didn't know the SA forum yet.. i don't care..i just don't like to come here and publish bullshit...i'd rather be sailing,.

I just like to post when i believe i have something to add to this community and not spam them with conspiracy theories :D

Returning to the point of this Topic... i don't know what they are planning but if it is a fast & fun boat i believe it will find it's place on the  market, as long as it's a good boat everyone loves to spend their time on the water having fun. I just think that everyone should think more about having fun and  sailing amongst friends than racing or the olympics... 

We have to grow the base of the pyramid having loads of people sailing.. and then from that maybe 1 or 2% will go to the olympics... but to make the sport sustainable for clubs and federations we have to attract recreational sailors.. and what better way than to have a fun and afordable boat??

Just my thoughts..

Alright, I'll bite.  So in my area LP has no representation.  Once upon a time we had LP, Hobie, and recently RS.  Now none.  Bit of an outlier maybe.  Does LP still have the heft/respect/interest internationally to get people to buy their boats?   I'd be leery of plunking down money on a new LP boat design without a track record and worried about continued support for parts and uptake in the international community.  It'd have to be a homerun design that every sailing magazine was declaring as boat of the year or something for me to part with money as an early adopter.   

WTF was that @AnIdiot? All I saw in that link was some swirly coloured lines over a breaking wave and text telling me to stay tuned! :lol:

• Like 1
On 9/14/2021 at 9:59 PM, POR151 said:

Xeon, as you might see, i am not new in SA. i am a registered user since 2008 maybe in that time you didn't even know what sailing was or you just didn't know the SA forum yet.. i don't care..i just don't like to come here and publish bullshit...i'd rather be sailing,.

I just like to post when i believe i have something to add to this community and not spam them with conspiracy theories :D

Err I’ve been sailing since 1988 and have owned quite a few boats over that time . I was also a friend of one of the old directors of performance sail craft in the uk when that company had quality customer service at its core . So yes I know a little about sailing and the sailing industry.

Yes you have been registered since 2008, but in all that time until you started this thread, you posted nothing . Two other new posters made this thread their first post , said positive things about the possibility of a new boat and slyly dissed competitors boats.

I have found in life, if it looks like marketing bul@@hit , smells like marketing bul@@hit , it’s normally marketing bul@@hit :D

Well.. that is your opinion and i respect it. i am not here to argue just to discuss topics of my interest.B)

I also had quite a few boats from dinghies to Cruiser/Racers.

At this moment i own an Archambault M34 and a Nacra F18 but i am on the market to replace the Nacra with a single handed monohull. i am 1.84 meters and weight 90 kg and tried several boats.. i don't have the physical capability to sail the Laser Standard and i am to heavy for the Radial. Tried the Aero but i don't think that it suits my needs..(weight x fluctuation) I heard that the Melges 14 is being produced at Nelo in the north of Portugal so i am willing to try it soon. and than this thing appeared and I became curious.

Other option is to try a foiler like the Wazsp but the nearest dealer is in Barcelona so they don't do demos in Portugal.

i am with @Hot and Soggy i don't know what they are planning but unless it proves to be good and with good reviews by international sailing magazines i won't consider it...

Someone on Instagram commented that it looked like an EPS... looking better at it it has some lines.. 

let's see what they will came out with.. or even if they will... meanwhile take it easy @Xeon :D

No props POR151 . More that happy to agree to disagree and wait and see what appears.

One things for certain , a EPS doesn’t have a reverse bow . I have seen a few in my time. The EPS was a interesting boat in some ways but deeply flawed .

1 minute ago, Xeon said:

No props POR151 . More that happy to agree to disagree and wait and see what appears.

One things for certain , a EPS doesn’t have a reverse bow . I have seen a few in my time. The EPS was a interesting boat in some ways but deeply flawed .

I never saw one in real life..i thing that the concept was great.. never understand why it didn't have the success

Three latest posts on Instagram from LaserPerformance hinting something new is coming.  The taglines are "A new story is about to be written.  Will you be a part of it? #don't miss the shift", and "we've been in the shed.  It's all coming together now #carbon". The image on the second one is of something black.  Kinda looks like they are laying up a hull with carbon fabric.  ?  I don't know.  The other posts (video) shows what looks like a one line outline of plan view and side view - hull with wings perhaps and square topped sail.  Tack of the sail is at the deck with the upswept bit (I don't know what this is called) like a 29er or 49er.  The way they do the outline, it disappears as it draws so I can't get a good screen capture of it.  Looks like there was another post previously that's even more ambiguous looking over a computer modeler's shoulder at a somewhat blurry screen.  

LaserPerformance Instagram

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 10.57.52 AM.png

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

TBH i didn't see anything relevant yet... just a picture with some numbers on a Sailmon..i don't know if it is related or not but..

1727167175_WhatsAppImage2021-10-21at10_26_03.thumb.jpeg.f9dd1f3075d13c3dff3df16b8ec69778.jpeg

If it is... i don't know the top speeds on other single handed boats.. after a quick search i found that the top speed registered on a Laser was about 16.8knots..the top speed of the RS Aero is registered at 23.8 with 37knt wind... so unless they share the conditions.. that doesn't surprise me that much.. 

But they have  been surprisingly quite these last weeks

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Seized by bailiffs

Lol, lol .

TBH I am not that bothered ( never bought anything new from LP and never will ).

I was just shaking the tree to see if a LP sock puppet fell out .:D

Just been reading the Sunfish forum and also reading the Sunfish worlds thread on SA.

Any more  news of this high quality all carbon singlehander ? 
It’s all gone very quiet .

A carbon Laser?  Not sure it's worth it since the hull needs updating.  But sure, buy one, ding it up a bit, savage the centerboard slot some for the typical too large of a slot opening quality issues, throw some leaves on it and wet them daily so the tannin stains the deck, turn it over and let the sun take some of the shine off the hull, go racing and pretend it's a Laser.  That's worse than the new ILCA rig I just put on a Laser that was nearly 2lbs lighter, but what the heck, it looks like a one design, that seems to be all that really matters.

Err nothing to do with LP Lasers , they are dead and buried, unlike the ILCA .

This is a rumour that LP might be launching a new all carbon boat .

We will see in time  if there is any truth in it .

A carbon Laser with an updated rig. Look out Aero! LP have you in their sights! I hear it is going to be called a Laero. Or Aeser. And class memberships are free! 

8 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Free kiddie-finger guillotines with every boat!

Talking of finger guillotines, the stupidest think I ever did in a Laser was, while sailing a borrowed boat with the black stopper thingie on the daggerboard missing, I put my left index finger in the hole where the black stopper thingie should go, and slammed the daggerboard down. Without the black stopper thingie, the top of the dagger board disappeared down the daggerboard slot with the top of my finger still in the hole where the black stopper thingie should go. Ouch!

I really thought that I had lost the top joint of my finger, but thanks to the generous dimensions of the daggerboard slot on a Laser my finger was only crushed and bleeding, not amputated.

Do not attempt this trick at home.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Free kiddie-finger guillotines with every boat!

I believe it is on the dolly. 

I know a guy who was clearing an override in the jammed CB cable drum of a Flying Scot, he LoPpEd a finger off when the board did drop. Was a chartered boat, think it was ussailing CoC regatta