Boats I know that were planning on going are still preparing as if it's going ahead. Up to Tassie Gov I guess...

• Like 1

C'mon!

Here is the bet:

a) It's on; but

b) It might just stay within NSW; but

c) Access to Hobart dependent on double vaccinated status for all pov.

Multiple State borders and their differing COVID management strategies combined with political opportunism / point scoring won’t allow it to happen regardless of the vaccination situation. 

• Like 2

In may there were only 12 ICU beds in RHH.

Seems now up to 20 but not all can be staffed.

So you think the Tasmanians want you at Xmas.

Seriously

Gutwien is not lowering the drawbridge on the moat anytime soon

TAS has the highest vaccination rate by some way btw.

• Like 2

Gutwein isn’t stupid…. He knows how limited the healthcare infrastructure and resources are in Tassie. When we had the “big” Covid outbreak  last year, he immediately called in the army to sort it out.

And Tassie has easily the oldest population average in Australia:

Among Australia’s states and territories, Tasmania stands out as clearly the oldest, with over 20% aged 65+ and 8.4% aged 75+. The Northern Territory is the youngest, with only 8.0% aged 65+, partly due to the large indigenous population, which has a lower life expectancy.

State/Territory Aged 65+ Aged 75+
New South Wales 16.3% 7.2%
Victoria 15.4% 6.9%
Queensland 15.7% 6.6%
South Australia 18.7% 8.4%
Western Australia 14.8% 6.3%
Tasmania 20.1% 8.4%
Northern Territory 8.0% 2.4%
Australian Capital Territory 13.0%

5.4%

Edited by Sidecar

Well there will be no Queenslanders there as Accidental Anna is planning to keep up all prisoner until at least 2025 when she is up for re-election. But who gives a fuck - we have still got Airlie Beach race week which was so much more pleasant this year without all the wankers.

Anyway, back inside you cunts, you have had your hour outside.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Livia said:

In may there were only 12 ICU beds in RHH.

Seems now up to 20 but not all can be staffed.

So you think the Tasmanians want you at Xmas.

Seriously

Gutwien is not lowering the drawbridge on the moat anytime soon

TAS has the highest vaccination rate by some way btw.

That number of beds won't last long - two months ago they issued a tender to upgrade the ICU which means reduced capacity because of construction staging.....

NSW couldn’t handle a two week lockdown in winter to control the virus, it’s laughable to think there will be any control in NSW at Christmas time, the good people of NSW may not be in lockdown at Christmas but I doubt they will be crossing any state lines. 

3 hours ago, madboutcats said:

NSW couldn’t handle a two week lockdown in winter to control the virus, it’s laughable to think there will be any control in NSW at Christmas time, the good people of NSW may not be in lockdown at Christmas but I doubt they will be crossing any state lines. 

Now, Mate, 

You haven't been listening to Gladys at all lately. 

Gladys has told all NSW people that she's opening up the state to all double vaccinate residents as soon as we reach 80% whether we like it all not. She is also telling the other Premiers to follow her lead.  She has also said that our numbers haven't peaked yet either and that 1500 + is still likely. 

Now I think I've worked out what the plan is, Open the state up at 80% and watch all the anti vaxxers suffer as they get sick and die. Got to be a winner for any politician. 

At the end of the day as I've said in Ocean Anarchy the CYC will need to make a decision 5 -6  weeks out before the start as to whether the race is happening or not. The owners need time to get the boats and crews race ready before  the start and after last year calling off the race at the last minute, I think a few of the owners will be  holding back from spending the big $$$$ needed for the race.

Even the CYC will need to set up what safety standards and preparations the owners and crews will need to follow in order to do the race. Just think how many crews need to update their Safety  at Sea and First  Aid after 2 years of no racing. That will take time, and then what about the on water training ?

I'd love to see the race go ahead this year, I just don't think that the state boarders will be open in time and as long as the politicians keep fighting between themselves we are looking at a 2022 race as the next Sydney to Hobart.

Pulpit 

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Livia said:

I thought the plan was let the antivaxers die in marginal seats.

Not going to vote for her, that was the plan.

Livia,

You could be well right.

Pulpit

I was so lost last Boxing Day without the race, I think the sooner the antivaxers die off the better, I don’t know anyone that said that’s sad when that unvaccinated mid thirty’s woman died and left all the kids behind, it’s the only way that nationality will learn. Maybe start something like a Cannonball Run in Sydney Harbour and whoever evades the navy, police, SES, Customs, etc at the borders and manages to sneak up the creek in Tasmania to the end wins. If you get that race up and running I’ll go as the doctor

• Like 1

Not sure my gear is quite up to that one.

But then again I did a Mewstone Rock race many years ago, with just a wooly jumper & white Line 7s.

• Like 2

"• Thursday 31 December – Watch the 9pm fireworks for younger family members and then see in the new decade with the midnight fireworks and live music, all in the Hobart Race Village."

The 2021 notice of race has last year's schedule copy pasted in, unless 2022 is another new decade... Talk about shitty organisation... 

• Like 1
On 9/4/2021 at 11:38 PM, BoatSlut said:

It is better to have something to look forward to, even if that hope is dashed, rather than have none at all.

Completely agree. 

I'm optimistic we will be sailing to Hobart on Boxing Day. 

Delusional, possibly?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Fintho said:

"• Thursday 31 December – Watch the 9pm fireworks for younger family members and then see in the new decade with the midnight fireworks and live music, all in the Hobart Race Village."

The 2021 notice of race has last year's schedule copy pasted in, unless 2022 is another new decade... Talk about shitty organisation... 

plenty of people here have finished after on New Year’s Day and thereafter 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Livia said:

At least you can just point for the fireworks, give the poor navigator a break ;)

18 hours ago, Livia said:

Always finished before midnight NYE - sometimes not by much!

• Like 1

'81 Hobart was a sunrise NY Day finish for me....watched the fireworks becalmed on the river....and the flooding rafts of empty beer cans at the finish line!

On 9/5/2021 at 3:59 AM, Livia said:

Sydney Harbour, South Head (S) Pedra Blanca (P), South Head (P), 

On 9/5/2021 at 3:59 AM, Livia said:

Sydney Harbour, South Head (S) Pedra Blanca (P), South Head (P), finish.

Done.

Oh ya, do this

Boxing Day start

We don't hear much from Tassie because no one gives a shit.  But whether the Hobart goes ahead will probably have more to do with the Tasmanian vaccination rate than anything that happens in Sydney.

It begs the question.  If you have 2 heads do you need four injections? 

21 hours ago, Ripple Rider said:

Delusional, possibly?

Completely. The boxing day test will be the only thing to watch on TV.

Really missed our traditional Boxing Day Hobart Race BBQ last year.Not staying up all hours following the great tracker was also a bit weird.Fingers crossed for the competitors and us land locked punters that a Covid safe race goes ahead.It is one of the few great Australian Sporting Events along with the 2 Grand Finals,Melbourne Cup and Bathurst.

12 hours ago, Couta said:

'81 Hobart was a sunrise NY Day finish for me....watched the fireworks becalmed on the river....and the flooding rafts of empty beer cans at the finish line!

In 81 we got in at 2:00am on NY morning  Passed the Iron Pot at midnight and were then greeted by every moron with tooting horns and flashing headlights from the shore- completely lost night vision!

here’s one of those beer can Couta, this one 40 years old and still not opened-,mainly because I have horrible memories of the damage all the opened ones did to me!

A983B8B3-679F-4AC4-AE01-94A7AB70CB54.jpeg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

We don't hear much from Tassie because no one gives a shit.  But whether the Hobart goes ahead will probably have more to do with the Tasmanian vaccination rate than anything that happens in Sydney.

It begs the question.  If you have 2 heads do you need four injections? 

Fuck you. If you don't give a shit why do you even bother trying to be the fastest cunt to sail here? We've got a vaccination rate that a few days ago was better than Sydney's, until Scotty from Marketing miraculously found all these new doses to send to his home town just before he miraculously was allowed to fly home to visit his family. Happy Father's Day to Sydney. A big fuck you to the rest of the country.

@Livia had the right suggestion. Sail south from Sydney, round Petra Branca, or the Hippolytes if you don't have the balls, and fuck off back to Sydney. You cunts pretty much fly out of Hobart the day after you finish anyway. The horror of having to possibly spend 14 days in a Hotel in Hobart.

Fuck you. If you don't give a shit why do you even bother trying to be the fastest cunt to sail here? ... Sorry, that was my second head speaking. In case you didn't get it the first time.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Fuck you. If you don't give a shit why do you even bother trying to be the fastest cunt to sail here? We've got a vaccination rate that a few days ago was better than Sydney's, until Scotty from Marketing miraculously found all these new doses to send to his home town just before he miraculously was allowed to fly home to visit his family. Happy Father's Day to Sydney. A big fuck you to the rest of the country.

@Livia had the right suggestion. Sail south from Sydney, round Petra Branca, or the Hippolytes if you don't have the balls, and fuck off back to Sydney. You cunts pretty much fly out of Hobart the day after you finish anyway. The horror of having to possibly spend 14 days in a Hotel in Hobart.

Fuck you. If you don't give a shit why do you even bother trying to be the fastest cunt to sail here? ... Sorry, that was my second head speaking. In case you didn't get it the first time.

whoa.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

Well the locals certainly seem charming. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

We've got a vaccination rate that a few days ago was better than Sydney's, until Scotty from Marketing miraculously found all these new doses to send to his home town  

Because Sydney has 10,000 cases a week & you guys freak out about 1 case every 6 months. 

30 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Well the locals certainly seem charming. 

They were charming once until cunts from Sydney decided to piss on their heads and treat them like shit.

Funnily enough, the Wooden Boat Festival is now many times bigger than the Hobart race.

Even the locals think locals that support the Race are dickheads now.

But then again, you can't have salmon farms in storm bay because a 100 foot maxi might run in to one!

• Like 1

Then there was time a few years back, when I had the lease on the marina berth on town.

We all get kicked out for the Hobart week and have to moor elsewhere at our own expense.

Can live with that.

What is bullshit when the Race boat leaves taking all your permanent mooring lines with them even the ones spliced into the cleats.

Think owner is something big at the CYCA now.

13 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

In 81 we got in at 2:00am on NY morning  Passed the Iron Pot at midnight and were then greeted by every moron with tooting horns and flashing headlights from the shore- completely lost night vision!

here’s one of those beer can Couta, this one 40 years old and still not opened-,mainly because I have horrible memories of the damage all the opened ones did to me!

Crikey I did that race on Condor of Bermuda, my flight out was on the 30th but we where still in Storm Bay, funny name for that place in 1981.

13 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

A983B8B3-679F-4AC4-AE01-94A7AB70CB54.jpeg

Mate - I've got the exact same can from that year somewhere in my garage!! And for exactly the same reasons you state...it remains unopened!! Classic!!

58 minutes ago, Livia said:

Think owner is something big at the CYCA now.

let me guess, does he have a special hatred for two handed sailing too?

2 hours ago, Couta said:

Mate - I've got the exact same can from that year somewhere in my garage!! And for exactly the same reasons you state...it remains unopened!! Classic!!

Wasn't that the year that Cudmore sailed (using the term very loosely) inside the Iron Pot which caused the Iron Pot to become a mark of the course from then on?

I remember drifting all over the place trying to get into the river, a long day on Taurus 11. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Couta said:

Cascade throat is still a thing...a bad thing

• Like 3
3 hours ago, DtM said:

Wasn't that the year that Cudmore sailed (using the term very loosely) inside the Iron Pot which caused the Iron Pot to become a mark of the course from then on?

I remember drifting all over the place trying to get into the river, a long day on Taurus 11. 

You can.......on a high tide find the channel between the reef, but low tide or bit of swell, which is likely I would not sail inside of the Iron Pot. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Cannot drink Cascade, although for ceremony I will if we get a S2H this year

19 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Those "morons" were local residents congratulating you on your performance and welcoming you to their city and island state. The S2H still has the biggest welcome to finishers than any other ocean race in Australia. Every boat is personally congratulated and welcomed over the PA on the waterfront and every boat is applauded by the crowd but to you those people are morons?

I haven't had as many beers as I had when I commented on Scarecrow's post last night so I won't be so abusive but the anger is just the same.

3 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Maybe they should change the race to Sydney to Melbourne. The border should be open by then.

Yeah Melbourne was happy to let Sydney cases in anyway

1 hour ago, (p)Irate said:

Those "morons" were local residents congratulating you on your performance and welcoming you to their city and island state. The S2H still has the biggest welcome to finishers than any other ocean race in Australia. Every boat is personally congratulated and welcomed over the PA on the waterfront and every boat is applauded by the crowd but to you those people are morons?

I haven't had as many beers as I had when I commented on Scarecrow's post last night so I won't be so abusive but the anger is just the same.

Who peed on your cornflakes?

We were close enough to be able to hear that those "morons" were seriously pissed. Well familiar with the generous welcome, also cognisant of the vast amounts of money spent in your state by the many interstate visitors each year but after five long days of sailing, we did not appreciate having high-beam headlights shone in our eyes by those drunken fuckwits morons at the time. 

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Who peed on your cornflakes?

We were close enough to be able to hear that those "morons" were seriously pissed. Well familiar with the generous welcome, also cognisant of the vast amounts of money spent in your state by the many interstate visitors each year but after five long days of sailing, we did not appreciate having high-beam headlights shone in our eyes by those drunken fuckwits morons at the time. 

It's your arrogance that presumes that those "pissed fuckwits" were deliberately trying to fuck you over. Face it, in any other race in Australia, not matter what hour of the day, no one would have given one tenth of a rat's arse about a yacht sailing close to shore at night. What could they see? A green starboard light? No mate, those people were there because they knew you were participating in the S2H and and were celebrating your performance.

If you don't want any member of the public to have any interest in a sailing event that you are competing in then don't enter the S2H. It's the only yacht race that anyone outside those who compete in the sport are interested in and then you complain about that interest?

BTW If those fuckwits were shining their headlights in your eyes as you rock-hopped up the eastern side of the Derwent from the Pot to White Rock in 1981 (No GPS plotters) then maybe it was outside assistance illuminating the foreshore rather than destroying your night vision.

And after 5 days of sailing. You finished at 0200 on 1 January. Maybe those fuckwit morons were just taking pity on you and trying to show you the way to the finish line.

As to pee on my cornflakes... My identity is Steve The Pirate from Dodgeball. I take inspiration from my coach Patches O'Houlihan. It's sterile and I like the taste.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, (p)Irate said:

It's your arrogance that presumes that those "pissed fuckwits" were deliberately trying to fuck you over. Face it, in any other race in Australia, not matter what hour of the day, no one would have given one tenth of a rat's arse about a yacht sailing close to shore at night. What could they see? A green starboard light? No mate, those people were there because they knew you were participating in the S2H and and were celebrating your performance.

If you don't want any member of the public to have any interest in a sailing event that you are competing in then don't enter the S2H. It's the only yacht race that anyone outside those who compete in the sport are interested in and then you complain about that interest?

BTW If those fuckwits were shining their headlights in your eyes as you rock-hopped up the eastern side of the Derwent from the Pot to White Rock in 1981 (No GPS plotters) then maybe it was outside assistance illuminating the foreshore rather than destroying your night vision.

And after 5 days of sailing. You finished at 0200 on 1 January. Maybe those fuckwit morons were just taking pity on you and trying to show you the way to the finish line.

As to pee on my cornflakes... My identity is Steve The Pirate from Dodgeball. I take inspiration from my coach Patches O'Houlihan. It's sterile and I like the taste.

Your stubborn defence of your fellow Taswegians is amusingly admirable but I still maintain they were a bunch of drunken yobbos deliberately being arseholes. The traditional welcome that greeted us at the dock was a different thing altogether and truly memorable. It was 40 years ago FFS!

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

also cognisant of the vast amounts of money spent in your state by the many interstate visitors each year 

And how many of those thousands of interstate visitors who are lured down here by the Summer Festival featuring the Rolex Sydney to Hobart are disillusioned every year when the competing yachts finish one day, swap the race crew for the delivery crew, and leave the next day.

The boats spend fuck all in TAS. Beer for one night. Accomm for one night. Fuel and food for the delivery home. 

Think back to your 1981 5 day ordeal. How would you feel if while still racing you passed half the fleet motoring or cruising back to Sydney before you had finished.

As @Livia said, Tasmanian entries are treated like shit in Sydney. Interstate boats have no interest in hanging around in TAS after the race.

What is in it for us?

2 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Your stubborn defence of your fellow Taswegians is amusingly admirable 

There you go again with your condescension. I rest my case.

Amusingly admirable. I might put that on my headstone.

Taswegians? Does anyone actually say that?

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

IF you are instructed to ware a mask to drink a cocktail I don't see the S2H taking place any time soon. Australia has demonstrated how a totalitarian society works. The ultimate penal colony... 

haha yeh we can’t afford to kill off 600,000 Australians like America has but a segment of Americans put a different value on life, we have lost only 1044 to covid by slowing it down enough to ramp up our medical system. 

3 hours ago, madboutcats said:

haha yeh we can’t afford to kill off 600,000 Australians like America has but a segment of Americans put a different value on life, we have lost only 1044 to covid by slowing it down enough to ramp up our medical system. 

Go back to your room... (the Australian Government). 

12 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Arr the "Cascade Throat" known to many kiwi sailors heading back to NZ, the first several days the radio scheds where vey quite.

After the 1972 S2H we left Hobart/Tribunna with 72 dozen Cascade onboard, the boat was bone dry by the time we saw North Cape.

Revisted Tasmania for the Aust IOM Nationals in 2018, the first time I reached the top of Mt Wellington after 5 attempts, also got back to Tribunna.

Mate from the UK (65% vacc’d) has just been to Poland for work (55% vacc’d & stalled) no quarantine, no restrictions. But at over 80% by Xmas here we’ll still need 14 days quarantine to travel to another state. 

5 hours ago, madboutcats said:

Don’t be cocky, let’s look at the deaths over the next 5 years. We are currently killing more people with delayed diagnosis & treatment & mental health issues than we are saving from Covid. Excess deaths according to ABS up 5-7.6-% already. It’s very likely people who are saved from covid by the vaccine will die in the next 2-5yrsrs anyway ( not supported by the ABS, yet ) 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

And how many of those thousands of interstate visitors who are lured down here by the Summer Festival featuring the Rolex Sydney to Hobart are disillusioned every year when the competing yachts finish one day, swap the race crew for the delivery crew, and leave the next day.

The boats spend fuck all in TAS. Beer for one night. Accomm for one night. Fuel and food for the delivery home. 

Think back to your 1981 5 day ordeal. How would you feel if while still racing you passed half the fleet motoring or cruising back to Sydney before you had finished.

As @Livia said, Tasmanian entries are treated like shit in Sydney. Interstate boats have no interest in hanging around in TAS after the race.

What is in it for us?

I make a point of spending money in the host city of a yacht race after the finish, by way of thanking them. When I think of the money I have spent in Gladstone over the years on beer, bandages and bail...

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I make a point of spending money in the host city of a yacht race after the finish, by way of thanking them. When I think of the money I have spent in Gladstone over the years on beer, bandages and bail...

Shoudentte they name a hospitalle aftere you or somthinge?                          :)

Just on vaccination Israel is an interesting study. Pretty much everyone is vaccinated however they are recording the highest rates per capita for infection at the moment than anyone. There are an alarming amount of vaccinated people in hospital as we speak. Vaccination is still reducing the death rate but that's the only positive. It doesn't stop transmission nor getting infected. As long as there are no shortages of getting the vaccine you require everyone can make their choices. I believe the governments will be wanting lockdown finished before Xmas otherwise they won't be re-elected nor will they have done the right thing for everyone's mental health and lively hood. 

Finishing up today is R U Ok Day.  I hope everyone connected with SA is OK as we speak. Don't be afraid to reach out this cause is gaining incredible momentum which is some great news in a bad news world at the moment.! :wacko:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Just on vaccination Israel is an interesting study. Pretty much everyone is vaccinated however they are recording the highest rates per capita for infection at the moment than anyone. There are an alarming amount of vaccinated people in hospital as we speak. Vaccination is still reducing the death rate but that's the only positive. It doesn't stop transmission nor getting infected. As long as there are no shortages of getting the vaccine you require everyone can make their choices. I believe the governments will be wanting lockdown finished before Xmas otherwise they won't be re-elected nor will they have done the right thing for everyone's mental health and lively hood.

You're right about Israel, but according to the studies unvaccinated people under 60 have double the number of serious cases compared with vaccinated, and over 60s have a 9 times higher rate.

Israel lifted all restrictions (which Australia isn't going to do) and also their high rate of vaccination is only people over 12, and 25% of their population is under 12, so effective rate is only 60%, which is nowhere near the 80% of all people needed for herd immunity.

I agree that lifting of lockdown before Christmas is very important for all state Governments, and the Federal Government. Whether that will allow enough time for a Hobart race this year is doubtful.

Also, someone mentioned something to me last weekend about the Tollgate Islands, which are off Bateman's Bay. Don't know if that is part of any alternate plans. Maybe be nothing.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Shoudentte they name a hospitalle aftere you or somthinge?                          :)

Hopefully a police cell. I have spent a few nights in both the watch house and the hospital up there. The breakfast at the lockup is better than the hospital, but the staff aren’t nearly as friendly.

11 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Don’t be cocky, let’s look at the deaths over the next 5 years. We are currently killing more people with delayed diagnosis & treatment & mental health issues than we are saving from Covid. Excess deaths according to ABS up 5-7.6-% already. It’s very likely people who are saved from covid by the vaccine will die in the next 2-5yrsrs anyway ( not supported by the ABS, yet ) 

What do you mean don’t be cocky, our Prime Minister stopped Chinese coming here straight away including telling WHO they could go jump, the American president, said business as usual, maybe try drinking bleach and thanked the Chinese for being so helpful. Roll forward to now and if the Americans had followed our lead they would have about 12,000 deaths now not well over 600,000 so effectively they have slaughtered 600,000 of their own people through inept leadership and then that crazy says we are a totalitarian society

On 9/8/2021 at 6:30 PM, (p)Irate said:

Fucks sake, man, harden up. Give them both barrels. No messing about being polite just because you're sober.

FKT

• Like 1
21 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

What is in it for us?

This.

20 years back I used to spend a lot of time at the waterfront as the S2H and more local derbies came in. These days I don't give a fuck.

The really big boats are pro crewed by people (or at least skippers) who do stuff like disable their AIS or anything else to 'win' and the smaller boats mostly look like cloned plastic things. And as has been said, the paid crews mostly fuck right off and it's over.

Taste of Tasmania and Wooden Boat Festival are much more family friendly Tasmanian events. If the S2H didn't happen, so sad. The Wooden Boat Festival, losing that would be a tragedy IMO.

FKT

• Like 1
1 hour ago, madboutcats said:

What do you mean don’t be cocky, our Prime Minister stopped Chinese coming here straight away including telling WHO they could go jump, the American president, said business as usual, maybe try drinking bleach and thanked the Chinese for being so helpful. Roll forward to now and if the Americans had followed our lead they would have about 12,000 deaths now not well over 600,000 so effectively they have slaughtered 600,000 of their own people through inept leadership and then that crazy says we are a totalitarian society

US have 1000’s per day flooding through the southern border with covid right now. Vastly different population density. Free health care here. You can’t compare the two. 

As I said earlier, AUS measures doing more harm than good right now. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DtM said:

Are you going to navigate for Hoppy next year ?  Now he is a local.

The Brisbane Anarchists are looking for a new ride since Shaggy sold the Pogo and we are too tight to take our own boats. Hoppy we will need selection trials obviously...

8 hours ago, SCANAS said:

US have 1000’s per day flooding through the southern border with covid right now. Vastly different population density. Free health care here. You can’t compare the two. 

As I said earlier, AUS measures doing more harm than good right now. 

Maybe we can agree to disagree, yes people with covid are coming through the border but in South Aus we mostly wear our masks and check in, you can’t book into a motel without a mask or checking in, we social distance while shopping, as far as I know we haven’t got any community transmission here. When we did have the same outbreak as NSW with community transmission we had a total lockdown for seven days and beat it. For our state it seems all it takes is seven days proper lockdown early, social distancing and masks but NSW never had the will to do a proper lockdown at the start, just like other countries 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

Maybe we can agree to disagree, yes people with covid are coming through the border but in South Aus we mostly wear our masks and check in, you can’t book into a motel without a mask or checking in, we social distance while shopping, as far as I know we haven’t got any community transmission here. When we did have the same outbreak as NSW with community transmission we had a total lockdown for seven days and beat it. For our state it seems all it takes is seven days proper lockdown early, social distancing and masks but NSW never had the will to do a proper lockdown at the start, just like other countries 

madaboutcats,

You are right that NSW hasn't had a real lockdown and even now Gladys lockdown is a real joke. I know of a builder that lives in a western suburb hot spot and He has a gladys travel pass to work, He travels 1 1/2 hours each way to go to work 7 days a week to work on the central coast. Even with 1 Jab that's still not right and My area has  1 case that is in quarantine and we are  still in lockdown. They have lost the plot.

She has turned into a joke and  now we are all paying the price. 

I'd love to see the Hobart on this year, I just think that its going to be up to  the Tasmanian Government that has the final say and that it's not looking good.

Pulpit

• Like 1
On 9/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, madboutcats said:

Sydney & Melbourne have given up now. The public won’t comply, that’s why there is so much unlinked transmission there. Ppl will comply for 14 days but after that they want to get on with their lives. Most countries have opened up well before 80% & some now have scrapped all COVID measures but we are just starting to build two quarantine camps in SE QLD for use next year 8-9 months after some countries have opened. 

Watch this about the southern border. Companies with 100 employees are mandated to get them vaccinated but people coming through the southern border aren’t getting vaccinated!! Crazy shit. 

20 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Sydney & Melbourne have given up now. The public won’t comply, that’s why there is so much unlinked transmission there. Ppl will comply for 14 days but after that they want to get on with their lives. Most countries have opened up well before 80% & some now have scrapped all COVID measures but we are just starting to build two quarantine camps in SE QLD for use next year 8-9 months after some countries have opened.

OK a few points.

Let me start by saying that I'm fully vaccinated as is my entire extended family. We're nearly all scientists, engineers or medical professional types. We all got vaccinated ASAP in this cluster-fuck. So none of this is in any way anti-vax.

The compliance issue is a can of worms because yes, people are getting tired of it all. That's certainly part of it.

Another part of it is the frankly stupid rules.

Example 1: My first wife, fully vaccinated, currently working from home, high level professional in the medical field, is not permitted to visit her aged mother in hospital with 2 fractured hips from a fall. The mother suffers from advanced age dementia. Her equally aged husband, primary carer, fully vaccinated, also can't visit. Good odds the mother will never get out of hospital alive given the circumstances. This is stupidity combined with indifferent cruelty. Nobody in authority cares.

Example 2: A Qld baby with a severe medical condition was flown to Sydney for treatment, along with her parents. The Qld Govt point blank refused permission for them to return. Under pressure allowed the baby to be returned to a Qld hospital with the mother but the father had to go into hotel quarantine separate from them. They were country people and had arranged an angel flight direct to a Qld country airstrip where they had transport arranged to their rural residence to self-isolate. Flat NO.

And yet Qld let in a bunch of footballers thereby showing that the rules aren't ironclad and made for everyone regardless. And that given the MANY examples of footballers & groupies not following the rules they'd agreed to.

And my current situation. Fully vaccinated, currently resident in a place in country NSW downgraded to low risk status because there are no covid cases anywhere in the LGA. The LGA is over 12,000 sq km in size. I can't return to Tasmania without going through hotel quarantine, and I can't get a quarantine slot until some indeterminate time in the future. Meanwhile urgent work for both the NSW & Qld Depts of Health can't be done as I'm not in an approved location (there are only 3; 2 of them inside the respective Depts IT system and my home address). I live on a 3.5 acre property in Tasmania so self-isolation at home isn't a problem and I was permitted to do this 12 months ago when NOBODY was vaccinated.

There are many, many more examples of this sort of decision-making. When it gets to some critical mass, people simply engage in civil disobedience and get on with their lives.

Frankly I am well over it all. As far as I'm concerned, I've done my part. I got vaccinated and I wear a mask in public. I comply with all the rules that have a sensible basis.

The other rules, or the ones that have exceptions based on status and/or money? Nope. If I can find a way around those rules, I'm going to.

FKT

• Like 2

Yep I totally agree that we are going to have to open up but at least we have held off long enough to get a bit organised, people like me still working but living with underlying health conditions involving chest and lungs will have to modify our behaviour and travels. That’s why I purchased the 28ft trailer sailer and am probably out of going to National titles, interstate regattas etc. 

2 minutes ago, madboutcats said:

Yep I totally agree that we are going to have to open up but at least we have held off long enough to get a bit organised, people like me still working but living with underlying health conditions involving chest and lungs will have to modify our behaviour and travels. That’s why I purchased the 28ft trailer sailer and am probably out of going to National titles, interstate regattas etc. 

Yes one of the reasons for mass vaccination is to help protect people like you. I'm in full agreement with that. I've no time at all for the anti-vax types.

The Fed Govt has a lot to answer for by assuming we'd not get a new variant. That was really, really bad risk management.

I think we're getting close to the end of the period when people in Sydney & Melbourne are going to keep accepting lockdown rules though. From a purely selfish POV I've heard it said that if you can't more or less get on with life even if fully vaccinated, why bother? Not my attitude but it's out there.

Currently there's no 'carrot' and the 'stick' applies to all.

The Tasmanian health system is poor and a major outbreak would be bad. So coming back to the S2H were I in their position I'd probably say OK BUT:

1. Every member of the crew is fully vaccinated and provide proof. No exceptions.

2. Negative covid test no more than 48 hours prior to departure and full isolation from time of testing to departure from Sydney. This needs further work. Maybe test on board then not allowed off the boat for any reason, DSQ if this is violated.

3. If you sailed the boat down, you sail it back. No fly-in support or delivery crews.

FKT

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

OK a few points.

Another part of it is the frankly stupid rules.

Example 1: My first wife, fully vaccinated, currently working from home, high level professional in the medical field, is not permitted to visit her aged mother in hospital with 2 fractured hips from a fall. The mother suffers from advanced age dementia. Her equally aged husband, primary carer, fully vaccinated, also can't visit. Good odds the mother will never get out of hospital alive given the circumstances. This is stupidity combined with indifferent cruelty. Nobody in authority cares.

Example 2: A Qld baby with a severe medical condition was flown to Sydney for treatment, along with her parents. The Qld Govt point blank refused permission for them to return. Under pressure allowed the baby to be returned to a Qld hospital with the mother but the father had to go into hotel quarantine separate from them. They were country people and had arranged an angel flight direct to a Qld country airstrip where they had transport arranged to their rural residence to self-isolate. Flat NO.

And yet Qld let in a bunch of footballers thereby showing that the rules aren't ironclad and made for everyone regardless. And that given the MANY examples of footballers & groupies not following the rules they'd agreed to.

There are many, many more examples of this sort of decision-making. ....

The decision making by Qld Health has been truly appalling - heartless, gratuitously cruel and stupid don't begin to adequately describe it.  Then allowing football players and their hangers-on to enter while families are kept apart in tragic circumstances shows a particularly ugly side to Qld government priorities.  I know other states have been bad also (I was unable to return to SA for my brother's funeral, when I had been in that state for his death), but from press reports Qld have been outstanding in their stupidity.  But I have a very poor opinion of governments (of any persuasion) generally, so maybe it's just me ...

24 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

The decision making by Qld Health has been truly appalling - heartless, gratuitously cruel and stupid don't begin to adequately describe it.  Then allowing football players and their hangers-on to enter while families are kept apart in tragic circumstances shows a particularly ugly side to Qld government priorities.  I know other states have been bad also (I was unable to return to SA for my brother's funeral, when I had been in that state for his death), but from press reports Qld have been outstanding in their stupidity.  But I have a very poor opinion of governments (of any persuasion) generally, so maybe it's just me ...

Same same.

What's really annoying about that Qld decision is, it was the QUEENSLAND Government that said Queensland hospitals were for Queenslanders and, by implication, fuck you southerners even if you're just over the border. No medical help for you.

Yet when one of theirs needs treatment only available in NSW, they get it without dramas.

And then can't get home to Qld again without major dramas.

And then there's Dan the man in Victoria, keeping Victorians locked out when some of them have homes in rural Victoria where they can self-isolate. But no, stay in makeshift camps and rot. I'm actually amazed there isn't a lot more civil disobedience.

Frankly every Government needs to be sacked at their next election. The replacements may be even worse, but incompetence should have consequences.

FKT

Australian "Government" is an oxymoron.

Our politicans are incapable of governing, because they are professional politicians. Governing is not their job, getting re-elected is. 

• Like 4
On 9/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

And my current situation. Fully vaccinated, currently resident in a place in country NSW downgraded to low risk status because there are no covid cases anywhere in the LGA. The LGA is over 12,000 sq km in size. I can't return to Tasmania without going through hotel quarantine, and I can't get a quarantine slot until some indeterminate time in the future. Meanwhile urgent work for both the NSW & Qld Depts of Health can't be done as I'm not in an approved location (there are only 3; 2 of them inside the respective Depts IT system and my home address). I live on a 3.5 acre property in Tasmania so self-isolation at home isn't a problem and I was permitted to do this 12 months ago when NOBODY was vaccinated.

Can't you get into rural Vic for 2 weeks and hence into Tas and home isolation? Today is day 13 in isolation for me (Negative test result yesterday), it's been very relaxing looking out across the water. Can actually see Flinders pretty clearly today, which is rare.

Delta strain would go through Tas like a dodgy vindaloo though - There is nothing resembling social distancing or mask wearing currently and the folks here don't believe that people actually wear masks outside on the mainland. The population is not ready to open the borders if it means things like wearing masks at any point.

Off for a steak with 20 of my closest friends and relatives on friday, then to a Bell shakespear production next week. Life is looking better.

• Like 1

I no longer watch Any media of political announcement(Publicity slut fest).. Each week i go direct to the .gov.au website and look at the ACTUAL figures... Heres todays(and an influenza&pneumonia comparison): image.thumb.png.3f8d0dfe8d27a07873ae068b0947aac5.png  

image.png

image.png

image.png