Sport boat regattas along East Coast Winter?

The Southernmost regatta, formerly Key West Race Week, is the only one I can think of.  

You can charter my Melges 20 at any of those Miami events including the December Worlds if you want.  

• 1 month later...

Hey @bcardarella, not sure about any Seascape 24 specific events out there, but as previously mentioned, there may be some handicap circles at Key West, or at Charleston RW.  The Boston/Marblehead Viper fleet is in the process of migrating to Sarasota and Miami for the winter for ~4 events...  Next year it would be cool to get you out in the boats a bit :)

Im in the same situation, Looking for some costal regattas, mid to lower east coast, to get some RS practice before Charleston 2022 :-).

Is there an easy source or do you have to scroll through regatta network and read all the NOR's to see if one is applicable?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Treads said:

Im in the same situation, Looking for some costal regattas, mid to lower east coast, to get some RS practice before Charleston 2022 :-).

Is there an easy source or do you have to scroll through regatta network and read all the NOR's to see if one is applicable?

Thanks

RS what?  Aero?  That should be easy enough to find with a little googling of the class association.  

16 hours ago, Treads said:

sorry typed too fast RS 21. Already booked my spot for Charleston tonight, registration is now open.

Not sure about an RS 21 circuit, but there are still RS 21s available for charter for RS 21 NAs in Texas in a month and you can also bring your own boat to that.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2021 at 6:49 AM, SEC16518 said:

$2500 for the charter seems ridiculous….

Not to hijack Brian's thread but man we wish we could charge less and more achievable for everyone, but if you take a look at basic economics, without the boats being mast up in Charleston already year round it's actually a steal. In 2019 we had 12 boats chartered. What's the going rate on chartering a J70 these days? A couple years ago I had heard numbers like 5K for a week with no support, docking fees, insurance, or etc. 

To charter a Laser or Club 420 for 4 days with sails is $1,450, the RS21 is 4x the cost and the economics to move those boats and support them is significantly less. 

Moving 6 boats at a time on a truck about $1,400 per boat round trip to/from the Northeast where we store them. Sure you could tow it down yourself, but even at the basic government mileage reimbursement rate you're talking $1,200 in cost, and we have to pay way more than that. 

Average 150 man hours to rig/derig about 4K or $670 per boat. That's getting the boats to the venue, unstacking, rigging, launching, and tuning. 

10 nights of hotels for 2 people 4K again about $670 per boat. 

Getting a power boat there or chartering one $1,500 or $250 per boat

Power boat on the water every day $200ish for fuel $30 per boat

Paying someone to run the power boat $1,200 or $200 per boat

Add in Insurance other fees we cover for the sailors, docking fees, beer for the sailors, and other misc. expenses. 

Then we have to factor in wear and depreciation on the boat and sails. Those rough numbers we are likely at a $800 loss per boat before the regatta even starts. Sure you can point own some costs I could cut, but I can tell you I've done this and any of those costs that are cut make it miserable for everyone involved. 

I'm super thankful that my colleagues at RS Sailing support such a venture to provide a boat that you can show up and race competitively without even lifting a finger. I know I've had a lot of comments from people that don't want to attend CRW because they wouldn't have time to commit and be competitive in other one design classes. The 21 provides the opportunity to just show up and race then leave at the end.

We're always open to more regattas and hoping to get at least one more to happen in Charleston before race week.

Happy to discuss this further or other regattas if you want to shoot me a note todd@rssailing.com 

Thanks, we're trying to promote sailing of Corinthian one design boats. If we happen to sell some boats off the back then great, but we still have a large deficit from past events to overcome. 

I hope you can get on the water at CRW in some way.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:49 AM, SEC16518 said:

$2500 for the charter seems ridiculous….

While I don't entirely agree with Todd's numbers regarding the costs (I'm part of a program that runs a fleet of eight charter Elliott 6meters) I don't think that $2500 is off the mark.  That's $625/day which is generally low for a charter fee.  Melges 20s can get $1200/day for a top notch boat and I just chartered mine out for $700/day.  It's costing me $1500 to move the boat to Miami.  Storage in Miami is another $400 for a few months plus $200 in moving it to/from the venue and the storage area.  I've bought new equipment to get the boat freshened up and to be a top notch charter option...etc.  So no, chartering at $2500 is not going to put a ton of money in their pockets and to get your own boat there with the gas, trailer prep, and time that it takes to travel, I think most people will quickly realize that their personal time is worth a lot when it comes to traveling for 2-4 days total with a boat behind the car and that is tacked onto either end of a regatta.