20 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Not to hijack the discussion, but I have found that a spray can of McLube Sailkote helps quite a bit for the in mast furler and doesn’t leave a mess.

McLube Sailkote has many wonderful uses.  I wish it was less expensive, and that I was more confident that it didn't contain nasty toxins.

5 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

McLube Sailkote has many wonderful uses.  I wish it was less expensive, and that I was more confident that it didn't contain nasty toxins.

C'mon Legs - it WORKS. How can it be any good if it isn't bad for you?

• Like 1

It says this on the can. So it’s true.

Sailkote™ lasts significantly longer than PTFE additives, oil, or wax-based lubricants and is environmentally friendly, with no chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), petroleum, or poison-emitting toxins.”

But you can also use bacon grease.

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

Not to hijack the discussion, but I have found that a spray can of McLube Sailkote helps quite a bit for the in mast furler and doesn’t leave a mess.

How does that work ?

Do you just spray your mainsail ? :unsure:

56 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

How does that work ?

Do you just spray your mainsail ? :unsure:

I sprayed it all along the boom track and the block. Also the bottom couple of feet of the mast slot where the jams are likely to happen. Spraying the boom track helped quite a bit.

45 minutes ago, ChrisJD said:

@loneshark64, how did the rest of the trip up the coast go for you? Swell looked pretty big from Marblehead Neck, but was the angle friendly enough to make it fun?

Thx for asking, Marblehead to Portsmouth was pretty big alright. Had it behind me so it was a lot of surfing. The boat just bounced along though, la la la. I hand steered because with the fin keel the stern gets pushed around but it wasn’t bad and I had a good day. Honestly the wave action in buzzards bay by the canal was more trouble for me.

With the forecast for T storms and small craft advisory I elected to wait. When they said 5-10’ waves I said no thanks. I suspect I would have been fine but my family was freaking out and so why push your luck. I went back to the house which was good because it has been 2 weeks with the alternator and battery replacement, Ida and now Larry. 

Going back drown to NH tonight to finish the trip. CAN’T WAIT!

• Like 1

Lots of good points here, figured I'd throw my experiences in too. Sailed a 46ft cat with slab reefing and a 35ft mono with in mast furling.

Personally I prefer the slab style reefing if single handing. Every step is its own little bite size piece that can be done one step at a time. On the roller furler the tension needs to be maintained with the outhaul while furling/unfurling.  Not impossible, but can make things a bit hectic.  Not to mention the manual states the ideal reefing setup for in mast on this seldon is wind on 10deg stbd bow. The in mast furling also uses a ratcheting drum at the mast with a continuous line to the cockpit. Works fine and prevents any accidents like letting the full sail blast out when its blowing and youre reefed, but really makes it a challenge when you want to drop from "reef 2" to "reef 1". You need perfect line tension and someone to go up to the mast to undo the ratchet.  If youre going up to the mast anyway, why not just use a slab reefer.

Next boat 1000% slab reefing. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I use KY only when I hoist the Jack Rabbit

I have no idea what you're talking about but I got this result from the Urban Dictionary:
The jack rabbit squat is from the secret Tyson Van Bum-Gardener's plyometrics routine. To perform be sure to plant carrots with adequate spacing. When carrots are ready to be plucked, align body in garden row with your feet shoulder distance apart, slowly get down in squat position, flex buttocks to firmly grasp the carrot stem, pull the carrot out of the earth by jumping as high as you can with a lateral movement to set yourself up for the next pick, continue until you complete the row. Please note that this exercise works best without wearing pants and/or under garments.
Hmmm....
9 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:
I have no idea what you're talking about but I got this result from the Urban Dictionary:
The jack rabbit squat is from the secret Tyson Van Bum-Gardener's plyometrics routine. To perform be sure to plant carrots with adequate spacing. When carrots are ready to be plucked, align body in garden row with your feet shoulder distance apart, slowly get down in squat position, flex buttocks to firmly grasp the carrot stem, pull the carrot out of the earth by jumping as high as you can with a lateral movement to set yourself up for the next pick, continue until you complete the row. Please note that this exercise works best without wearing pants and/or under garments.
Hmmm....

Dude. You looked it up….