Anyone interested in a Port Phillip Bay 75nm Challenge?

28 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

More info pls 

Seeing if there’s any interest.

Start and finish can be in various locations on the course to take advantage of prevailing weather systems, cold fronts etc.

GPS tracking and prizes for records in various divisions.

Competitors can do clockwise or anti clockwise 

Course keeps competitors relatively close to shore to provide some sort of spectator engagement and sponsorship options

There used to be several overnight around the bay races; each senior club ran at least one, but they largely fell out of favour. Squadron Cup, Livingstone Trophy, Port Phillip Sea Pilots, Jisuma, Lady Nelson were some of those we raced many times over the years.

I have heard a rumour that there are some wives out there who believe some of those races are still being run.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Getwet said:

Seeing if there’s any interest.

Start and finish can be in various locations on the course to take advantage of prevailing weather systems, cold fronts etc.

GPS tracking and prizes for records in various divisions.

Competitors can do clockwise or anti clockwise 

Course keeps competitors relatively close to shore to provide some sort of spectator engagement and sponsorship options

Isn't there an app or something launched recently that caters for this sort of thing, kinda like Strava but for sailing?  A selection of pre-defined courses that anyone can race at any time and it uploads your GPS track to validate and confirm times?  I can't find a link...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

There used to be several overnight around the bay races; each senior club ran at least one, but they largely fell out of favour. Squadron Cup, Livingstone Trophy, Port Phillip Sea Pilots, Jisuma, Lady Nelson were some of those we raced many times over the years.

I have heard a rumour that there are some wives out there who believe some of those races are still being run.

Even the Columbia Yacht Club ran an annual overnighter. When I did one, the owner opened a bottle of red just after 7am as we were heading north up West Channel. 

On 9/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, Torsten said:

Isn't there an app or something launched recently that caters for this sort of thing, kinda like Strava but for sailing?  A selection of pre-defined courses that anyone can race at any time and it uploads your GPS track to validate and confirm times?  I can't find a link...

Found it!  Shit website but you get the idea.

IRCRecords Home Page - IRCRecords

21 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Even the Columbia Yacht Club ran an annual overnighter. When I did one, the owner opened a bottle of red just after 7am as we were heading north up West Channel. 

That one was the Pathfinder Trophy put up by Joe Harrison who had been an RAF pathfinder pilot during WW11.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:05 PM, Getwet said:

Circumnavigation of Port Phillip Bay 

Approximately 75 nautical miles

Race the course when it suits you 365 days of the year

Various divisions

I would rather poke myself in the eye with a fork.

They were the best before gps etc.  Nav. Lights off at appropriate times. First one I did was in seventies on a Columbia. Couldn’t find the channel marker off Maccrae against the town lights  so after 15 mins, looking did a 360 and continued ,boom nearly took navigators head  off as he was taking a bearing from the hatchway ,must have been the red . 

On 9/10/2021 at 3:57 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

That one was the Pathfinder Trophy put up by Joe Harrison who had been an RAF pathfinder pilot during WW11.

Don’t get ahead of yourself, they haven’t gotten 3 started yet.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, jenny said:

Can I suggest the chap who thought this up shoots himself in the cock then pokes himself in the eye with a pitch fork.

Victorians. They will shoot them selves in the eye and poke the fork into their jewels.

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Most of the known universe accepts that WW11 refers to World War Two. Do try to keep up.

Sporty, you get an award for working out what he was even talking about.  Go to Teaky's desk.

25 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Teaky's desk is in a known Gladys Hot-Spot; not going anywhere near there.

CF, HA's desk is quite some way from a hot spot. From memory there's nothing left of any interest. His daughters have taken care of all that.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

CF, HA's desk is quite some way from a hot spot. From memory there's nothing left of any interest. His daughters have taken care of all that.

PY, the Hot-Spot to which I referred is NSW. HA has been long absent from these pages. Does he still sail on Jet?

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

PY, the Hot-Spot to which I referred is NSW. HA has been long absent from these pages. Does he still sail on Jet?

He's done a little on an A10 in recent years, however that owner has sold and moved on to a Farr40. Jet's long gone.