My Opinion:

The AC probably won't kill SailGP but GP will lose massiv value if Ainslie, Spithill and Burling quit and get into the AC40 instead!

Let's be honest: BA only signed up for it because he wanted to keep his Race Crew sharp in the run up to AC36. That won't be neccessary with the new AC40 Concept in the works!

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The release specifically says that AC40's will not be available until the end of 2022, at the earliest. 

Yes, it does which is when all teams will start ramping up, if not earlier. The venue is decided this month, and the protocol published in November, SailGP will have the 2022 season, if Covid allows. Once teams are entered they’ll start signing talent. We’ve already seen certain teams reworked due to the Olympics. One would think they’d be reworked again once AC teams start signing talent. One would assume, The NZ team would be a casualty, as would INEOS, as would maybe the US team and maybe Japan, possibly even the new Swiss team, although there seems to be a few top sailing teams out of Switzerland now. If SailGP don’t start using female talent, they’re definitely gone. 

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, it does which is when all teams will start ramping up, if not earlier. The venue is decided this month, and the protocol published in November, SailGP will have the 2022 season, if Covid allows. Once teams are entered they’ll start signing talent. We’ve already seen certain teams reworked due to the Olympics. One would think they’d be reworked again once AC teams start signing talent. One would assume, The NZ team would be a casualty, as would INEOS, as would maybe the US team and maybe Japan, possibly even the new Swiss team, although there seems to be a few top sailing teams out of Switzerland now. If SailGP don’t start using female talent, they’re definitely gone. 

The NZ Team probably won't be a casualty. I think if Pete, Blair go into the AC40 then Phil Robertson is probably the odds-on Favourite to take over the NZ SailGP Team probably with Jason Saunders as Wing Trimmer who is currently the interim Wing Trimmer of the US Team.

Ben is probably hand over the Keys of the British SailGP Team to Goodison, Fletcher and Bithell.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

SailGP managed season 1 without Burling and Ainslie. So it wouldn't kill it straight off. But it would devalue it. Whether it kills it would depend on what happens after AC37 I think

If Australia fielded an AC team it would sink GP.

• 2 weeks later...

What will kill Sail GP is it's own shitty race format and braindead coverage added to deliberately manufactured drama. It's literally like the worst of reality TV, but on boats.

I mean seriously, you have races where it's the first time teams have EVER sailed using some of the equipment or crew arrangements.

It could be great, but it's simply not due to stupid decisions.

Oh and 12 minutes for a yacht race? really?

• Like 1

^ training..my pet peeve. Not enough, handicaps allotted by some opaque process. And twenty minutes of fluff before the clock even starts..and repeated for the second day.

Total respect for the teams, the amazing talent, mostly keeping their mouths shut when it shows it's clown car face.

• Like 1
On 9/9/2021 at 2:44 PM, Forourselves said:

Since we had the question asked if SailGP could kill the AC, given recent developments, it’s about time the opposite was asked

More likely the Kiwi's will kill the AC first the way those corrupt fucks are going.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Forourselves said:

AC36 was fantastic! AC37 will be the same. The white noise in between cycles always fades away once the racing starts. And the racing WILL start. 

AC37 needs more than just 3 Teams. Going to be interesting what cost-cutting measures ETNZ & INEOS have put in place. Can't wait for the Protocol!

I forget exactly what the Clean Planet charity is that they are promoting but if RC did want to keep Blair and Tuke racing exclusively in SailGP, do you think it would take much of a 'contribution'? Would the phone conversation with Larry (if you could even get it) last more than 15 seconds? 

SailGP | SailGP

• Downvote 1
5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I forget exactly what the Clean Planet charity is that they are promoting but if RC did want to keep Blair and Tuke racing exclusively in SailGP, do you think it would take much of a 'contribution'? Would the phone conversation with Larry (if you could even get it) last more than 15 seconds? 

SailGP | SailGP

Serves me right to look at what Shit Yur dishing.

Typical.."I forget the exact subject of my point"

"Do you think"

"Would the conversation"

Seriously, the parallels between your rhetoric and the hugely esteemed Tucker C. are stunning. You really have a future in hypothetical script writing.

You of course could add "questions need to be asked".

On 9/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Boybland said:

What will kill Sail GP is it's own shitty race format and braindead coverage added to deliberately manufactured drama. It's literally like the worst of reality TV, but on boats.

I mean seriously, you have races where it's the first time teams have EVER sailed using some of the equipment or crew arrangements.

It could be great, but it's simply not due to stupid decisions.

Oh and 12 minutes for a yacht race? really?

The Cost and Relatability will kill SailGP. Only sailors seem to watch it and we are scratching our heads at that. Same with the AC, if it wasn't for the Silver Vase of a Trophy, it would not exist.
The new smaller foiling monos will help foiling a lot. 

I'd still love to see the Super Foiler series back with lots of good sailors and a few pros. Mixed teams a req. Traveling to areas with steady wind helps. Even some of the events we watched in their series there was no wind. Of course the boats need to be able to handle the stresses. I heard the boats were cracking.

• 1 month later...