Damn, just found my old boat for sale.

And she is in sad shape.

link

I got a private message from another board, the guy recognized it while researching boats and contacted me.

All my hard work, love and money wasting away. Still they are very well boats and it would be a good project. 

makes me curious . . . anyone know where Silk is (our old Shannon 37 ketch) and if she is being looked after?

her first owner after us put some good money and love and effort into her, but when he sold her on we totally lost touch.  It's been a long time now, she would be getting an old lady.

Yeah...I know how that goes. The guy who bought my Frances 26' let it rot in the slip. On the positive side, the next buyers got it super cheap and did a major refit. She once again looks amazing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bmiller said:

And she is in sad shape.

What a mess. How long ago did you sell it? I met a fellow last weekend at a friend's marina who just bought a Compac 27, and it was in beautiful shape. A very nice boat. 

BTW, Run Away.

Sparky, my old Hinckley Sw-42, was just sold by the guy who bought her from Maine Maritime.

She’s a great boat.Hope she’s in good hands.

My old QT Fred Again suffered a worse fate. I sold it on the condition the the new owner continue restoring it - instead he sailed it for a few years then stripped it to the hull, peeled off the paint and left in a shack of a barn.

Probably been cut up by now.

Bastards.

• Like 1

Speaking of sold boats, this is a little off topic, but here goes.

Around 1973, I bought a used Chrysler Mutineer, a 15' daysailer, not a very good boat. This was in Miami, my hometown. I was fairly new to sailing and didn't know any better. Anyhow, I advertised it a few months later, and a guy called to see it. The first thing he asked was if it could capsize. I said that I was pretty sure it could. He came to see it, liked it and asked me a few more times about its ability to capsize. I can still picture the guy: over six feet, muscular, and very enthusiastic about everything.

Anyhow, he paid the asking price, happily drove away with the boat on its trailer. He was almost giddy. I imagine he was capsizing to his hearts content all weekend. I was never so happy to get rid of anything.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Speaking of sold boats, this is a little off topic, but here goes.

Around 1973, I bought a used Chrysler Mutineer, a 15' daysailer, not a very good boat. This was in Miami, my hometown. I was fairly new to sailing and didn't know any better. Anyhow, I advertised it a few months later, and a guy called to see it. The first thing he asked was if it could capsize. I said that I was pretty sure it could. He came to see it, liked it and asked me a few more times about its ability to capsize. I can still picture the guy: over six feet, muscular, and very enthusiastic about everything.

Anyhow, he paid the asking price, happily drove away with the boat on its trailer. He was almost giddy. I imagine he was capsizing to his hearts content all weekend. I was never so happy to get rid of anything.

I went out on a friend's Mutineer once, light air day, looked like a nice boat-I was stoked. It seemed to take half a day to rig and derig on the trailer and turned out to be a total dog in those conditions. The funny thing is the friend kept telling me about all the technical advantages of the design, the rig, etc., all while thirty year old Lido 14s were sailing circles around us.

Yes, you were well rid of that one.

• Like 1

I was contacted by someone about my Bristol 45.5. Name had been changed but the emailer saw original name on the propane tanks and found me via a blog. The new owner changed the engine to a Beta 50. We motored the boat from NYC to Lake Ontario and the old Westerbeke was just fine. The Westerbeke was a 58 and adequate, 50 was not enough. New owner had the boat for a year and a half and went from LO to Key West, then to the Bahamas before getting it as far as North Carolina where it was for sail. New engine had 1000 hours on it which seems bizarre. Boat had solar, wind, and a genset so it was not being used for charging. His brief ownership cost him a fortune but that is OK because he was a jerk to deal with. When he was considering the Bristol the broker tried to talk him into a smaller boat since he had little experience and all with a 28'. Hope the new owner is better.

Imagine going online to your favorite boating forum to see your previous boat up on the beach, beat to shit by the surf because the last owner sold it for $100 to some dumbfuck who didn't have the money to put an anchor on the boat.....and bolted when he came responsible for cleaning up the wreckage.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Imagine going online to your favorite boating forum to see your previous boat up on the beach, beat to shit by the surf because the last owner sold it for $100 to some dumbfuck who didn't have the money to put an anchor on the boat.....and bolted when he came responsible for cleaning up the wreckage.

Yep. Been there, done that. 

10 hours ago, bmiller said:

And she is in sad shape.

link

I got a private message from another board, the guy recognized it while researching boats and contacted me.

All my hard work, love and money wasting away. Still they are very well boats and it would be a good project. 

My last boat turned up some time ago. Though I knew it was likely to happen because the guy I sold her to passed away.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/beneteau-first-40.7-3701848/

10 hours ago, bmiller said:

And she is in sad shape.

link

It must suck to see "as is" in an ad for a boat you put your heart into 

Slightly off topic I recently came across the only remaining photo I have of Minerva a Collings & Bell 1930's sloop that I didn't buy but should have as she was laterly lost on a reef in the Pacific kinda still feel guilty.

IMG_2789.thumb.jpeg.45a54b40b5b04921cc7db51e4c521f90.jpeg

I'm on both ends of this, last boat was sold to a dreamer who was going finish things but spent his time doing stupid shit like changing her name long before he ever sailed her.  Crushes me knowing that the termites are probably the ones finishing work I poured hours of time and quarts of varnish on. 

Now as I work on restoring an old boat I've heard from 4 of her owners wondering how she's doing.   But while the current progress is a mess, I load photos onto a shared google drive for them and have gotten more than a few tales (and explanations) from these prior caretakers.   Extra karma should help some gale tossed night at sea right?

Our family's first keeler was a QT. My Dad would lend it to me rather than the family car. For years it was on a mooring around the corner and I would keep an eye on it from afar. About 5 years ago it came up for sale at the right price. At the time I had sold my boat and was hanging out with the kds in Optis and so on. Now no idea where it is but still keep an eye out. The kids are now teenagers and it would be a great boat for them to get into as much trouble as I did........

23 hours ago, Bull City said:

What a mess. How long ago did you sell it? I met a fellow last weekend at a friend's marina who just bought a Compac 27, and it was in beautiful shape. A very nice boat. 

BTW, Run Away.

Sold it 10 or so years ago. Its been sitting there for 6 or more years.

I did briefly think about going for a rescue, but the trailer was sold separately so that dashed any more thoughts, thankfully.

21 hours ago, Slim said:

Sometimes I search for the first guitar I ever bought. It was modified by the previous owner so it will be easy to spot. I hope I never find it. 

I feel the same way about my first serious girlfriend, except that I add the hope that she never finds me

- DSK

• Like 1

When I bought TONIC (almost 7 years ago) she was in good shape, except cosmetically. I also wanted to re-do almost all of the deck hardware locations, new winches, new cabin cushions, etc. I bought the boat from a non-profit, who put me in touch with the previous owner.

She was a very gracious older woman, who sent me the notebook they kept on the boat. It was her husband's and he had passed away a few years before.

I sent her a few photos of TONIC after the renovation, and told her what a delight she was to sail. I think she was pleased that her late husband's boat had a good home.

Back pat over.

• Like 6