Don't Move to Detroit

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Just kidding (except of course the Irish).  Got some well-priced fixer-uppers on Blight Street!

Thinking of moving there myself

to escape the Kalifornia 2nd ammendment nutters

And would feel FREE Knowing Guns have been Outlawed

I hear the weekly year around average 

Is only about 300 shootings a week

Even then many are not deadly

1 minute ago, DA-WOODY said:

Thinking of moving there myself

to escape the Kalifornia 2nd ammendment nutters

And would feel FREE Knowing Guns have been Outlawed

I hear the weekly year around average 

Is only about 300 shootings a week

Even then many are not deadly

closer to 10-15/week and contained within a few isolated neighborhoods

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Just kidding (except of course the Irish).  Got some well-priced fixer-uppers on Blight Street!

Indeed.  Some real gems there.  Who wouldn't want an ivy covered mansion!

Any house, any street, only $1.00!  Hurry before the clearance sale ends!!!

Detroit demolishes its ruins: 'The capitalists will take care of the rest'  | US personal finance | The GuardianUrban Ghosts Media is coming soon | Abandoned detroit, Detroit michigan  abandoned, Abandoned

Abandoned Buildings in Detroit [OC] [3866x2899] | Abandoned places in the  uk, Abandoned detroit, Abandoned places

Demand for Detroit's old — and affordable — mansions revs up - Chicago  Tribune

I work in Detroit quite a bit. I used to judge a block by how many lawns were actually mowed. Now I judge them by how many are not mowed. 

10 years ago there were people hanging out on the street all day every day. Now in very isolated pockets. It’s like everyone is at work or something now. 

went down a street this week and found several blocks of restored Victorian style homes. All painted lady style. Beautiful. 

the city is doing what I never expected. I did not expect the city to turn around before the schools did. But the businesses are driving change. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, chinabald said:

I work in Detroit quite a bit. I used to judge a block by how many lawns were actually mowed. Now I judge them by how many are not mowed. 

10 years ago there were people hanging out on the street all day every day. Now in very isolated pockets. It’s like everyone is at work or something now. 

went down a street this week and found several blocks of restored Victorian style homes. All painted lady style. Beautiful. 

the city is doing what I never expected. I did not expect the city to turn around before the schools did. But the businesses are driving change. 

I know right?  Rocket mortgage etc and the other investment has helped.  The city not acting half as corrupt as normal and putting a ton of money into tearing down blight has helped too.

Can it be they actually have had a few decent mayors in a row? 

If they keep going this route the city will not be recognizable in 10 years.  It already looks different. 

The city council is still dirty as hell, but the fbi has taken an interest in them lately. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

I know right?  Rocket mortgage etc and the other investment has helped.  The city not acting half as corrupt as normal and putting a ton of money into tearing down blight has helped too.

Can it be they actually have had a few decent mayors in a row? 

If they keep going this route the city will not be recognizable in 10 years.  It already looks different. 

The city council is still dirty as hell, but the fbi has taken an interest in them lately. 

Yes, many good steps have been taken, but there are huge swaths of neighborhoods where I don't see easy fixes.  Neighborhoods so far from downtown that in most cities they'd be the second suburb away.  Say Greenfield and 6 mile, these are houses built in the late 40's that haven't been maintained.  Detroit tax rates are about twice what I pay in a nearby suburb.  I think someone is going to have to be clever and come up with tax abatements for home improvements.  I know that's one more area for possible corruption, but it's needed for these fringe neighborhoods that have stagnated for up to the past 60yrs.  

The latest census shows another significant drop in population, like a retail store, to remain profitable, you sell more or raise prices.  Detroit's price point (tax rate) is already too high, so we need more citizens.  Areas like Corktown and Mid-Center are expanding with high-priced lofts/condos/homes, but that's never going to be a solution.

A map showing crime activity clearly shows where things are working.

I've taught HS math at two Detroit schools and my kids largely came from the neighborhoods I described.

Appreciate your comments and optimism.

I was going to BYC in my mid-teens, early 70's.  Walking from the club to Jefferson was an adventure in poor judgement, now that street is lined with gorgeous mid-price homes.  

• Like 1

Reading this thread it seems apparent that Motown is clearing a bunch of those enormous abandoned residential areas that resulted from the rust belt exodus.

What is the situation re: ownership of the lots? Have they been forfeited for taxes?

I've seen lots of old ghost towns - mines that ran out and so forth but is this the first time that a huge city has shrunk dramatically like this?

I've never heard of it happening before.

Yes, there are pockets of the city that are lovely. High property taxes and sub-standard schools don’t attract a lot of families. Very iffy public transportation, which greatly impacts those trying to get to jobs, and particularly medical appointments. Orchestra Hall and DIA are jewels. I worked there until 6 years ago, and enjoyed it. But I did not enjoy the drive in from the suburbs, particularly in the winter darkness. IMO the last good mayor was Dennis Archer. I’m not sure what the fix is, but I wouldn’t send your GF/SWMBO there alone.

The large healthcare system I worked for had a fund, $150-200k annually, that was granted to employees for down payments or renovation funds if they purchased homes in a certain area. It assisted the employees and the system in maintaining and cleaning up the area.

With all that said, I will still go there to attend cultural events, and visit friends working there .

• Like 1

I use to go into the mountains north of Yellowstone and never carried bear spray. Now I won't go without it.

Detroit and just about any big city have their own set of rules. It is vastly improved in the core area which 25 years ago, I would not have walked it at night. The burbs have improved but it is real spotty and again, I wouldn't walk them at night. 

• Like 1

Commuting in Motown was a pain in the early 90s when I was there.  On the western edge of the eastern time zone it's damn dark in the morning driving in.  Road quality is typical Midwest potholes.  Seems like a perpetual road construction cycle on I-75 and I-94.  Public transportation seemed nonexistent - not surprising given the local industry was based on cars.  There are many interstate freeways so if traffic is clear you have a more direct route than in some cities.

But we were very pleasantly surprised recently to see signs of a bit of a resurgence.

1 minute ago, justsomeguy! said:

I696- bumper to bumper at 75 mph.

Nascar!

So true! And @ 75, you get passed like you’re standing still. I hate I-275 more. 

When I worked there, it was the Lodge, or Woodward, all the way in from the northern suburbs.The Lodge is a nightmare with narrow lanes, you’re  in a deep hole, in a 55 limit with drivers doing 75. And god forbid it rained, just became an instant flood.  Woodward was always interesting, like driving through a 3rd world country. Door locked, eyes straight ahead (I’m a female).

1 hour ago, 130lights said:

Woodward was always interesting, like driving through a 3rd world country. Door locked, eyes straight ahead (I’m a female).

What? You don't like street racing?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Did a lot of that growing up. Cruised Woodward going north and Telegraph going south. I recall one time when we had all 5 of the northbound lanes of Telegraph blocked by 2 Road Runners, a GTX, a Chevelle and a Camero.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Street racing was always fun, it was the condition of the neighborhoods that was creepy. Get out of your car, risk your life .  Look up Highland Park. The power company even turned their street lighting off for non-payment of bills.

14 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Did a lot of that growing up. Cruised Woodward going north and Telegraph going south. I recall one time when we had all 5 of the northbound lanes of Telegraph blocked by 2 Road Runners, a GTX, a Chevelle and a Camero.

Cruising Woodward was always fun…between the Totem Pole at 10 Mile and Square Lake Rd.  (Chevy SS, Mustang convertible, Dodge Challenger, and occasionally my brother’s Vette.)

Nick Johnson has over 400 videos on various places in the US.

Tries to get stats and input from locals before actually driving a city and recording what he sees.

Detroit rated #2 in shit holes in his  America video.

Don't feel bad. My B-i-L lives within 10 miles of 2 of the top 10 (philly/nj) and cannot understand why people would say that.

Like boiling a frog.  If you grow up in such an environment, you never see just how bad it is.  Nick's point is not to throw stones in a fit of superiority (he admits he comes from a shit hole in Cali), but to try to get the locals to admit they have a problem and pressure government to get off their ass and fix things.

here is the Detroit specific video

Roger Penske (Penske trucking, ex race car driver) has been working to turn the city around for years.

Looks like the rot is now moving to Ann Arbor as many people lost jobs when Whirlpool moved manufacturing overseas.

Nick does worst cities in every state, best places to live, fastest growing areas etc.

On YouTube just search nick johnson and your state, city etc to see how outsiders perceive your home town.

7 hours ago, 130lights said:

So true! And @ 75, you get passed like you’re standing still.

I-94s a rat race through the D. It’s a 55 mph zone with 2 lanes each way. The Detroit police are banned from the I-94 corridor through their city because of a shooting by a City Office of a Boy. So now the non existent Michigan State Police are in charge down there. There are old school death entrance ramps on the freeway, ones with no merge sign and very short merge lanes. A meat cutter was killed in a Kroger Grocery Store in Grosse Pointe Woods just past 8 Mile Road as the result of a 18 wheeler climbing up out of the I-94 ditch then plowing through the stores back wall. The store sits about 55 feet above the freeways ditch, Up a 60 degree slope!  It was caused by a car going down the 8 mile death ramp North bound with no place to go….grass still is not growing on the slope below that store  many years after it happened.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:29 AM, Cal20sailor said:

Guys like you are probably why my Irish parents moved away from Detroit.

Either that or the snow.

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

Tries to get stats and input from locals before actually driving a city and recording what he sees.

Don't feel bad. My B-i-L lives within 10 miles of 2 of the top 10 (philly/nj) and cannot understand why people would say that.

Like boiling a frog.  If you grow up in such an environment, you never see just how bad it is.  Nick's point is not to throw stones in a fit of superiority (he admits he comes from a shit hole in Cali), but to try to get the locals to admit they have a problem and pressure government to get off their ass and fix things.

Roger Penske (Penske trucking, ex race car driver) has been working to turn the city around for years.

Looks like the rot is now moving to Ann Arbor as many people lost jobs when Whirlpool moved manufacturing overseas.

Nick does worst cities in every state, best places to live, fastest growing areas etc.

On YouTube just search nick johnson and your state, city etc to see how outsiders perceive your home town.

Yep - areas of Detroit are bad.  And if you focus on the bad, that's what you'll find.  But it's improved - a lot - and the momentum seems to be continuing.

Ann Arbor has always had rot.  It's a college town, with college houses, college apartments, and leased / rented homes that college students trash.  It's got some excellent businesses in the area - Gudel, Nustep, and others.  But they are smaller operations that don't support a huge income base.  In the end - it's a college town.  Go look at nearly any town that is built around solely a college, and they all look pretty much the same.

58 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Guys like you are probably why my Irish parents moved away from Detroit.

Either that or the snow.

So Toronto doesn't get much of the white stuff?;)

12 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Yep - areas of Detroit are bad.  And if you focus on the bad, that's what you'll find.  But it's improved - a lot - and the momentum seems to be continuing.

Ann Arbor has always had rot.  It's a college town, with college houses, college apartments, and leased / rented homes that college students trash.  It's got some excellent businesses in the area - Gudel, Nustep, and others.  But they are smaller operations that don't support a huge income base.  In the end - it's a college town.  Go look at nearly any town that is built around solely a college, and they all look pretty much the same.

My son goes of UofM Ann Arbor.  One house he lived in was valued at over $1 million on Zillow.  If that house were placed in any other neighborhood it would be worth less than $100K.

25 minutes ago, Tax Man said:

Sure we do, about the same as Detroit.  My folks moved to Virginia and traded blizzards for hurricanes.

Detroit doesn't have a cocai.... oh.  Snow.  You mean snow. 

49 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

My son goes of UofM Ann Arbor.  One house he lived in was valued at over $1 million on Zillow.  If that house were placed in any other neighborhood it would be worth less than $100K.

You'll find the same thing in places like West Lafayette, Indiana (Purdue).  Grossly inflated property close to the school.  And West Lafayette is in far worse condition than Ann Arbor.  When you know you can lease / rent a decent size house out to 6 people, each paying like $500 / month, it's a pretty good return on investment.  And you really don't have to worry about the business disappearing either.  It's as close to a sure thing as you can get when it comes to guaranteed income.

image.png.3aa053824413c7f410f5a59777d2c1d9.png

The Midwest is full of large (Detroit etc.)and mediums (Waterloo IA) sized old previously moneyed industrial towns that have been through economic downturns and sometimes civil unrest. Young people move away, especially from rural areas.  Iowa small town commercial areas looked half deserted when we were there for RAGBRAI a few years ago. 

2 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

You are a total moron.

1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

Sure we do, about the same as Detroit.  My folks moved to Virginia and traded blizzards for hurricanes.

What hurricanes? Isabell was the last one that had any real affect and that was 18 years. VA get a ton of left overs and rain some times. Hurricanes are not a huge deal there like Fla. and the Gulf

5 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

You are a total moron.

Well  that is an insightful response...

If you had actually read my post

I explained how Nick Johnson looked at it.

I explained he wants folks to get off their ass to make their cities better.

You just immediately went into defensive mode.  That is EXACTLY the problem.

Circle the wagons and start shooting anything that moves.

If you cannot be honest, it will never get better be it Detroit, Baltimore, Camden, or Oakland.

I do  not know your expertise, but I have been around the world many a time over 40 years.

From the Cote d'Azur on the French Riviera  to the barrios of Rio de Janeiro .

The Hampton's to Beijing.  Auckland to Chennai

Seen good and bad locales all around the world.

Fact is:

Detroit has lost over half its population and is the top 5 for several dubious categories.

And while things are getting better, the fact the government will basically give me a house to move there says there is a long way to go.

I wish them well as a blueprint to fix the decline of American cities is sorely needed. Love to see Detroit be that model.

All you are showing is your ignorance just because you feel butt hurt.

So call names and enjoy yourself buddy.

18 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

If you cannot be honest, it will never get better be it Detroit, Baltimore, Camden, or Oakland.

I do  not know your expertise, but I have been around the world many a time over 40 years.

Fact is:

Detroit has lost over half its population and is the top 5 for several dubious categories.

And while things are getting better, the fact the government will basically give me a house to move there says there is a long way to go.

I wish them well as a blueprint to fix the decline of American cities is sorely needed. Love to see Detroit be that model.

I've lived in Detroit, have you?

After my engineering career, I taught in Detroit, have you?

No, you live in an area that Michener described as rift with incest.  Have your sister get back to me on that one.  

8 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Don't make me take my belt off!!!

Ha! My father did not need to take his off. He had one hanging in the basement, aka the punishment room. The high school I went to in Detroit, UD Jesuit has been flourishing despite being located in the city.

5 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Ha! My father did not need to take his off. He had one hanging in the basement, aka the punishment room. The high school I went to in Detroit, UD Jesuit has been flourishing despite being located in the city.

Where parent's pay do well.  They normally do the abc's and 123's before you hit school.  In urban areas, that's not the rule.  Sadly, mom might be working two jobs just to get by.

15 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

No shit? My grandfather was UD Jesuit class of 1931.  He went on to save the GPYC from extinction along with a few other Flying Scot class stalwarts...

19 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Ha! My father did not need to take his off. He had one hanging in the basement, aka the punishment room.

One of my father's brothers was a barber.  he gave my father an old, wide leather razor strop.  My father always threatened my brother and I with it.  He never once needed to take it off the hook on the wall in the cellar work room.  We lived in fear of that monster!  (The razor strop, not my father. :lol:)

It looked like this.  Except when I was a kid it looked to be about 6 feet long and 2 feet wide!

Antique Leo E Morris Co Horse Hide Razor Strop - shopgoodwill.com

1 hour ago, Ed Lada said:

Let's not bring the clergy into this :ph34r:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Douche bag cocksucker ruin porn asshole. 

this city has lost 1.2 million people. Then 2 minutes later. Lots of the houses have been torn down. No shit Sherlock half a million families moved out, remember? 

6 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

I went there for a year. Hated it. 

6 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

5 hours ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Let's not bring the clergy into this :ph34r:

In all fairness he didn't say 

Don't tell anyone I'm asked you to pull down my zipper

So no clergy references 

8 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Fact is:

Sorry this sort of “help” isn’t helping a anyone. It’s like saying I’m helping a drowning man by describing the water. 

This guy is borderline racist in his video. “We didn’t feel afraid at all, of course it’s early (11:30 am) so no one is out yet” what you mean those scary negros are still in bed? 

want to fix Detroit? Fix the schools, that’s it. The rest will come. 

16 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

I-94s a rat race through the D. It’s a 55 mph zone with 2 lanes each way. The Detroit police are banned from the I-94 corridor through their city because of a shooting by a City Office of a Boy. So now the non existent Michigan State Police are in charge down there. There are old school death entrance ramps on the freeway, ones with no merge sign and very short merge lanes. A meat cutter was killed in a Kroger Grocery Store in Grosse Pointe Woods just past 8 Mile Road as the result of a 18 wheeler climbing up out of the I-94 ditch then plowing through the stores back wall. The store sits about 55 feet above the freeways ditch, Up a 60 degree slope!  It was caused by a car going down the 8 mile death ramp North bound with no place to go….grass still is not growing on the slope below that store  many years after it happened.

I’ve always hated I-94 , and tried to avoid it whenever possible. From the god-awful entrance ramps, which are the same on the Davison and Lodge freeways. That accident sounds like a nightmare. My son drives that every day from Chesterfield Twp to the Chrysler plant…I shudder daily.  And is It still full of potholes?  Don’t miss doing that Detroit drive, at all.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:05 PM, justsomeguy! said:

I had a Vette.

A Chevette.

I had 4 older brothers. It was the best  way to learn how to handle fast cars for a female…and they actually trusted me. One brother raced cars before sailboats…had a McLaren Ford and did the SCCA circuit, fun memories.

56 minutes ago, 130lights said:

I’ve always hated I-94 , and tried to avoid it whenever possible. From the god-awful entrance ramps, which are the same on the Davison and Lodge freeways. That accident sounds like a nightmare. My son drives that every day from Chesterfield Twp to the Chrysler plant…I shudder daily.  And is It still full of potholes?  Don’t miss doing that Detroit drive, at all.

The absolute worst is getting on 94 east from Ford.  There's no merge lane.  In theory, you get up to speed and bump up or down by a few mph and merge.  People doing the daily drive get this.  During the day, you get Aunt Flo going to see her Ob/Gyn to have the oyster shucked and decides to dynamite the brakes.  Makes it very dangerous.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

The absolute worst is getting on 94 east from Ford.  There's no merge lane.  In theory, you get up to speed and bump up or down by a few mph and merge.  People doing the daily drive get this.  During the day, you get Aunt Flo going to see her Ob/Gyn to have the oyster shucked and decides to dynamite the brakes.  Makes it very dangerous.

There are a few I-94 on ramps that I NEVER use and the one at Ford Rd and I-94E is one of them.  The others are Connor and Mt Elliott on to I-94E.  Even when leaving Bayview I NEVER take Connor to I-94E.

MS

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

4 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

There are a few I-94 on ramps that I NEVER use and the one at Ford Rd and I-94E is one of them.  The others are Connor and Mt Elliott on to I-94E.  Even when leaving Bayview I NEVER take Connor to I-94E.

MS

Any warnings for driving through Detroit with a duel axle trailer and boat, I 75 to 94?   I’m doing the northbound trip tonight to dodge traffic, but expect to drive south Monday in the middle of the day.   I don’t plan on leaving the freeway except for fuel at truck stops.    

7 hours ago, Lark said:

Any warnings for driving through Detroit with a duel axle trailer and boat, I 75 to 94?   I’m doing the northbound trip tonight to dodge traffic, but expect to drive south Monday in the middle of the day.   I don’t plan on leaving the freeway except for fuel at truck stops.    

Not really.  I typically take I-75 to I-96 to I-94 instead of going into downtown (I dont go past Ford Field, etc).  The I-75 ramp onto I-75N/I-375 is kind of shitty.  As for the rest of the trip, it is the on ramps that suck and for whatever reason it seems like the on ramps on to I-94E are worse than the ones for I-94W.

If you are coming to Bayview be aware of the detour.  After you cross Jefferson, turn left at the stop sign onto Freud, and then right on Connor.  All the way to the end and then right on Clairpointe and left into BYC.

MS

On 9/14/2021 at 3:28 AM, Mr. Squirrel said:

MS

I belive its the 11 mile to I - 94 ramp that literally has a 20 foot long merge.  It's suicidal to use it.