Wingfoiling will be participated by the masses

Ok,

I Wingfoil, Windsurf, Kiteboard, Surf, Paddle surfski competitively, Sailed Cats, Keelboats and raced Tubs including 18 Footers.

Wingfoils as far is I can tell are going to dominate youth uptake in the near future.

Anyone agree?

I’m already seeing local clubs moving quickly into introducing wingfoils into sailing schools.

• Like 5

I got into it last year. Now I'm exiting some of my sailing programs for this summer to do more. I'm luvin' it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Getwet said:

Ok,

I Wingfoil, Windsurf, Kiteboard, Surf, Paddle surfski competitively, Sailed Cats, Keelboats and raced Tubs including 18 Footers.

Wingfoils as far is I can tell are going to dominate youth uptake in the near future.

Anyone agree?

I’m already seeing local clubs moving quickly into introducing wingfoils into sailing schools.

Couple of wingfoilers where I sail. They flounder around making doing nothing look like hard work. Until someone drowns those fuckers no one else is going to get one.

Just the other day I saw a kite boarder effortlessly gybing and staying up on his foil in relatively light winds. Ten years ago that would’ve been mentionable, now it’s par for the course.  A couple of weeks ago there was a Wazp festival with probably 20 boats in the harbour. Foiling wakeboards are common on the inland lakes around here.

So, while maybe the ‘masses’ will gravitate towards motor based water sports like they always have, for kids entering any part of sailing/kiting/windsurfing/sup, if they see foils as just a ‘normal’ part of the package and skill set, and as foils have become more refined and easier to use, I say they will definitely become a bigger part of the landscape...mostly in kiting and maybe secondarily in dinghy sailing.

6 hours ago, Getwet said:

raced Tubs including 18 Footers.

Tubs and 18er in the same sentence!?

At first, I thought wingfoiling was just plain stupid. However, after almost 40 years of windsurfing, my body now hates me for hours afterwards.

I will learn to at foil a windsurfer, then a wingfoil. I'll probably move to kiting sooner then later.

Will wingfoiling bring more yutes to the water? Meh...

6 hours ago, Getwet said:

Ok,

Anyone agree?

why bother with with strings?

• Like 3

Easier than kiting on water, i was foiling on my third session. For sure easier uptake.

Issues:

1. Kiting in our area is highly driven by learning on snow, which is FAR easier than wing on water if you already ski. Then simple cross to water later.
  2. Thing keeping it out of the masses is the same as most other sports with this generation - you have to be able to go when its good.
  3. Won't be any cheaper than dinghies/kiting/windsurf now. Ocean rodeo is already pushing kites that are 200% of last year's models. $2000+ for a wing?

And yes, I run a wing class for kids. We'll see. :P

Went to club racing yesterday, first of the spring series after lockdown. Son keen for a sail and it was a nice day (sorry Auckland - take one for the team and all).

Half the normal dinghy fleet were out on Windfoils and they outnumbered dinghy 2:1, very big with the teens.

Pretty sure its a sign of things to come.

I have a 21 foot trailer sailer that is rarely used and my wife and daughter don't really care for. I am going for a few days camp cruising once I get over a very busy period of work. If that doesn't turn out to be the best thing ever, I can see it making way for a small power boat and a wing foil.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:57 AM, Getwet said:

Ok,

Anyone agree?

Nope.. too many waters are just totally unsuitable, 90 % of clubs in the UK you be across the water to the other bank in a few seconds..

Living in Maui its compulsory to Wingfoil.  :)   We still do windsurf/kitesurf on occasion, but Wingfoil seems to be taking over.  Well, pretty much any kind of foiling.  Kite Foiling, SUP Foiling, Wing Foiling, Couch Foiling, .... etc....

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Q said:

Nope.. too many waters are just totally unsuitable, 90 % of clubs in the UK you be across the water to the other bank in a few seconds..

I hear France is something like 30 miles away.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Living in Maui its compulsory to Wingfoil.  :)   We still do windsurf/kitesurf on occasion, but Wingfoil seems to be taking over.  Well, pretty much any kind of foiling.  Kite Foiling, SUP Foiling, Wing Foiling, Couch Foiling, .... etc....

What makes it better than windsurfing?

26 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

You can brag that you're foiling.  And you can drive around the north shore with massive foils on your boards on the roof with a satisfied grin throwing Shakas at Dave Kalama and Kai Lenney at the stoplights. 

lol.

But, seriously, I dont think it's better, its just the new shiny thing.  It does seem to require less gear though.  I consider it a different sport, so I dont really compare them.

In our area wing dings far outnumber windsurfer and kite boarders. Like a margin of 20:1 or greater. 

Most of these are coming from kiting, a few from windsurfing, and just a couple of new starts with a background in surfing. 

I saw about 20 wing foilers and 15 windsurfers on the East side of our bay on a delivery yesterday. They are growing in numbers every years in coastal NJ.

There was also a lone foiler  off of our club last week. I think he or she was learning the basics in around 12 knots:o

10 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

You can brag that you're foiling. 

But you can windsurf with foils. 

My question really is why are the wingfoils better? I've seen people use them, it just looks awkward tbh.

9 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

My question really is why are the wingfoils better? I've seen people use them, it just looks awkward tbh.

No mast, boom, hundreds of pounds of cunno needed or 4 x 100' spectra lines with a kite?

Once at speed, you can grab a swell and basically put the wing behind you.

It's probably more to do with the foiling board than the means of generating power...

You gotta have your head a swivel in the gorge with all these silent foiling fuckers riding swell straight downwind!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Liquid said:

No mast, boom, hundreds of pounds of cunno needed or 4 x 100' spectra lines with a kite?

Once at speed, you can grab a swell and basically put the wing behind you.

It's probably more to do with the foiling board than the means of generating power...

You gotta have your head a swivel in the gorge with all these silent foiling fuckers riding swell straight downwind!

Yeah, watching them on SF Bay, I think it's more about being in tune with the water, where the kites are massively powerful (and sometimes dangerous) beasties. The kites certainly seem faster, and rip upwind and down, but the wingdings (love that) seem pretty chill. 

It doesn't necessarily have any connection to sailing. Its the same reason why my kids are glued to TikTok. Its the newest thing so a certain group of trend followers have to do it. When a friend became an early adopter of kite boarding i asked him what he really liked about it - he said it was doing tricks and impressing others. I'm sure hes now doing wing foiling, or whatever else is the most newest thing. So to answer the OPs question - it will be the thing until the newer thing comes along. Sailors will still be sailing.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2021 at 3:57 AM, Getwet said:

Ok,

Anyone agree?

Yes, eventually. But the extraneous costs will keep participation to the moderately privileged. Transportation, access to water, equipment and being smart enough to not get yourself in trouble. 

The easiest and safest way to experience the speed of sailing is still Land and Ice Sailing. Land is available on every Continent and relatively inexpensive compared to H20 sailing. The easiest way to go fast is with the Blokart or a Manta. Both are OD classes but the Manta is a bit bigger and bulkier. If you want a bit more speed the Skeeter or Mini Skeeter is a OD that can be built from plans or purchased as a Kit or completed. It is a Class designed for Ice boating but has been put on land and can easily hit speeds of 80 mph on land. I want one but it is kind of large for a Para to transport and rig.

In the past I followed a German Paraplegic, (he left Paralympic Sailing in the early days (2000) because of what the Able Controllers did to the sport) who was heavy into Kite Boarding. No doubt he is doing some form of Foiling now.

19 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

So to answer the OPs question - it will be the thing until the newer thing comes along. Sailors will still be sailing.

maybe wing foiling more about surfing than sailing.

4 hours ago, dogwatch said:

A lot less gear space required. I'm only a newbie at it but I'm getting to the stage where I'll be able to take my gear to the water on my motorbike.

I'd say it's not better than windsurfing as I still do that competitively, it's just a different sensation, more zen like so to speak.

4 hours ago, Jethrow said:

A lot less gear space required. I'm only a newbie at it but I'm getting to the stage where I'll be able to take my gear to the water on my motorbike.

I'd say it's not better than windsurfing as I still do that competitively, it's just a different sensation, more zen like so to speak.

OK thanks. I'm not personally bothered about the gear space but can see quite a few people would be.

I'm seeing people doing it on flat water and it looks like a contrived way to go windsurfing. Maybe in that context it is a bit pointless.

I'm not putting it down, just trying to understand the attraction of the windfoils. I get the foiling board.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dogwatch said:

OK thanks. I'm not personally bothered about the gear space but can see quite a few people would be.

I'm seeing people doing it on flat water and it looks like a contrived way to go windsurfing. Maybe in that context it is a bit pointless.

I'm not putting it down, just trying to understand the attraction of the windfoils. I get the foiling board.  

Bigger wind range, overpowered isn't scarry, easier to learn without concussion/headers, falling is basically cost free, don't break boards, lighter/packable gear.
It's a great combination of kiting and windsurfing in a safe, approachable package. What's not to love?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, fastyacht said:

I hear France is something like 30 miles away.

Only if you live on the south coast, it'd take me 5 hours to get that far by car and there's a lot of the UK north of me.....

12 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Yes, eventually. But the extraneous costs will keep participation to the moderately privileged. Transportation, access to water, equipment and being smart enough to not get yourself in trouble. 

The easiest and safest way to experience the speed of sailing is still Land and Ice Sailing. Land is available on every Continent and relatively inexpensive compared to H20 sailing. The easiest way to go fast is with the Blokart or a Manta. Both are OD classes but the Manta is a bit bigger and bulkier. If you want a bit more speed the Skeeter or Mini Skeeter is a OD that can be built from plans or purchased as a Kit or completed. It is a Class designed for Ice boating but has been put on land and can easily hit speeds of 80 mph on land. I want one but it is kind of large for a Para to transport and rig.

Yet again Nope, not everywhere has suitable places to land yacht, there are just 6 clubs in this crowded island of the UK, and one of those 6 has lost it's previous home, an old airfield.. It's about 50 years since there was ice strong enough to Ice yacht in the UK..

6 hours ago, The Q said:

Yet again Nope, not everywhere has suitable places to land yacht, there are just 6 clubs in this crowded island of the UK, and one of those 6 has lost it's previous home, an old airfield.. It's about 50 years since there was ice strong enough to Ice yacht in the UK..

What was the veach whwere they did that in England many moons ago?

6 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

What was the veach whwere they did that in England many moons ago?

Kite buggies always used to be more popular in the UK, not sure about now. Brean beach at Burnham on Sea was a good one for buggies, miles of wide flat hardpacked sand uncovered by the tide. I played there on a mountain board with a  traction kite.

12 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Its a while since I windsurfed, and so far I have only used my wing on snow with a snowboard. Its fun, and the wing feels pretty natural to use, I'm working up to using it on water. The simplicity of the rig is part of the attraction. I doubt I would bother dragging a windsurfer mast and sail out with the snowboard and then figuring out the best place to attache the gooseneck......

I guess I looked at this as a simplification of the kite rather than a less efficient windsurfer rig :).

• Like 1

Four of the clubs use beaches,

They are at:

Brean sands south of Weston super mare,

on the Wirral Near Hoylake,

Near Mablethorpe in Lincolshire,

And near Greatstone in Kent.

I believe the most famous is Brean Sands, which I've seen as I lived down that way, but I didn't compete. as I was too busy sailing round circles at Cheddar Sailing club.

Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club (bcyc.org.uk)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, The Q said:

7 hours ago, The Q said:

Four of the clubs use beaches,

They are at:

Brean sands south of Weston super mare,

on the Wirral Near Hoylake,

Near Mablethorpe in Lincolshire,

And near Greatstone in Kent.

I believe the most famous is Brean Sands, which I've seen as I lived down that way, but I didn't compete. as I was too busy sailing round circles at Cheddar Sailing club.

Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club (bcyc.org.uk)

I remember meeting some Brits back in 2012 Worlds at Ivanpah. One was a disabled guy with some home made electric motor under his wheelchair to get around.

Ya gotta stay on the authorities to give you a spot for the Green Sport. No petrol required.
I have been bugging our local city for use of one of several large parcels that just sit and weeds grow. But it always seems some old Bureaucrat that just do not get it or they are corrupt and want to sell of the land to a friend for development.

in the right venue, land sailing can be taught to kids before water based sailing. Kids go fast and can't drown either. Great after school program too. Also a segment of sailing that is far easier for disabled people to participate in.

• Like 1

Anyone have recommendations for a good site/forum or other resource to get into wing foiling?  

Cruising up in Santa Barbara this summer I saw a ton of people of all ages on the beach by the SBYC learning kiteboarding and wingfoiling.  It looked like an absolute blast & I'd like to give it a shot with my kids.  The wings are a heck of a lot less intimidating than kites.  

1 minute ago, socalrider said:

Anyone have recommendations for a good site/forum or other resource to get into wing foiling?  

Cruising up in Santa Barbara this summer I saw a ton of people of all ages on the beach by the SBYC learning kiteboarding and wingfoiling.  It looked like an absolute blast & I'd like to give it a shot with my kids.  The wings are a heck of a lot less intimidating than kites.  

I use an Ozone Wasp, their website have clear instructions on getting started.

I started on a mountain board on local playing fields, and have also used it with my kiteboard.

I have not yet taken to the water, but its a lot of fun.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, socalrider said:

Have a look at Damian Leroy on YouTube for helpful videos.

I haven't found much in the way of a good forum for Winging yet but still looking.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, knuckles said:

This video is insane.  I could watch this over and over and over......

I'm not exactly sure what the relationship is between surfing and sailing - but perhaps this rig is getting closer to it.

it might be worth noting that there are exactly zero moving pieces involved, except the human.

• Like 1

I saw on an obscure sports channel on sling that was showing episode #4 of Inside Sailing. I just caught the tail end of a segment about the 69F.  It appeared to be 2 guys and 2 girls a the team. The Liberty Bit Coin series

I've set the Sling DVR to record all the episodes.

36 minutes ago, floater said:

I'm not exactly sure what the relationship is between surfing and sailing

Here's an example of a good relationship, it's called: Wave Sailing!

34 minutes ago, floater said:

I'm not exactly sure what the relationship is between surfing and sailing - but perhaps this rig is getting closer to it.

it might be worth noting that there are exactly zero moving pieces involved, except the human.

I agree - it's fascinating.  The absolute simplest rig imaginable, possible because of really good materials and hydro/aerodynamics.  Seems like a real breakthrough.

How long can one keep going before ones arms give out?  I see that there are some tethers designed to reduce arm strain as with windsurfers.  

2 minutes ago, floater said:

maui.

Yuppa! 

I went to Ho'okipa once. It was head high, barely 5.5 with a 30 foot wide 'beach' in between lots and lots of lava rock. There's a place called the graveyard, I saw it being utilized...

I put my tail between my legs and went back to Spreckelsville!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, socalrider said:

I agree - it's fascinating.  The absolute simplest rig imaginable, possible because of really good materials and hydro/aerodynamics.  Seems like a real breakthrough.

How long can one keep going before ones arms give out?  I see that there are some tethers designed to reduce arm strain as with windsurfers.  

I agree with your description- I think the foil is so efficient it allows using the wing sail which is not at all efficient, but so easy, for a winning combo.  I bought a wingfoiling setup this summer after 30 years of windsurfing.  I thought I'd wingfoil in light air and windsurf in the heavy, but I spent all of our windy summer wingfoiling.  I only have one wing but have been able to use it when windsurfers are on everything from 7.0 to 4.5m.  It would be better if I had a smaller wing on the windy days but you can park it overhead and it luffs fine, very different from overpowered on the windsurfing rig.   

The arm pull is way less than a (non-foiling) windsurfer.  To get my windsurfing board planing, I have to be hooked in to the harness, feet in straps, hiking hard to apply enough force to get the board up.  The wing foil board is like being pulled on a skateboard with a rope, there just isn't that much load.  I could use my windsurfing harness but haven't felt the need.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Liquid said:

Yuppa! 

I went to Ho'okipa once. It was head high, barely 5.5 with a 30 foot wide 'beach' in between lots and lots of lava rock. There's a place called the graveyard, I saw it being utilized...

I put my tail between my legs and went back to Spreckelsville!

You mean Boneyards?   Graveyards is on Oahu.

image.thumb.png.17635a856cd45fc129dedd727a1c5df1.png

On 9/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, dogwatch said:

imo, the main advantage of wingfoiling is for riding swell. you can completely flag out the wing and ride using the wave power only.  it is an absolutely magical feeling.  the wing just becomes the 'engine' to get you back to the waves.

with a kite you can't ride swell straight downwind, or straight upwind.  either your kite will fall out of the air, or get too powered up and you will get pulled off the wave.  kite foiling does have the advantage of being a lot easier to water start once you get the hang of it (kite loops, not having your kite on the water with you when you crash, etc.) you can ride also ride much smaller boards vs. a high volume wing foiling board.  a lot of people i know basically ride lunch trays with a kite, but need a 100L board to wing.  you can also jump a hell of a lot higher with a kite vs a wing.  i know lots of people that regularly boost to 50ft+

there are also some nice advantages of wing foiling such as really simplified gear setup.  a lot bigger range of viable launch spots (you don't need a minimum of 25m clear space for your lines), and that big volume board really comes in handy if the wind dies and you need to paddle back in.

47 minutes ago, hoektron said:

imo, the main advantage of wingfoiling is for riding swell.  ..it is an absolutely magical feeling. 

yep. surfing.

47 minutes ago, hoektron said:

you can also jump a hell of a lot higher with a kite vs a wing.  i know lots of people that regularly boost to 50ft+

getting killed and dying. 

2 hours ago, floater said:

yep. surfing.

getting killed and dying. 

Sure, surfing is awesome, but you can ride a completely different type of wave on a foil. Open ocean swell, or non-critical sections that are just not rideable without a tow-in.

As for the dying part... Lol. Kiting is a pretty safe sport, but its still an extreme sport at the end of the day. Same with sailing. Its a risk you take. Gotta choose your gear, conditions, and spot carefully. Don't take your day sailer into the southern ocean and don't launch your kite in 30-40kt winds as a beginner. 

Can't do this with a wingfoil. I do this downwinder at Cape Hatteras regularly, albeit not in as good style, Sam Light is worldclass.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Can't do this with a wingfoil. I do this downwinder at Cape Hatteras regularly, albeit not in as good style, Sam Light is worldclass.

Hatteras is such an epic kite location.  I bet you've been getting great swell too with all these fish food Atlantic hurricanes this season. 

Sadly I don't live there, but will be heading out for the next three weeks, hope to catch some big swell from Hurricane Sam, just need equally big wind for a powered ocean-side downwinder. Salvo to Avon is a favorite. Once did it with 30 knots NE and 30 foot swells, very memorable, might just get lucky and do that again next weekend. But the soundside downwinders are awesome too. This one is a little more intimidating and rarely run, but it is awesome.

4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

They also said it wasn't going to be much of anything for jumping/freestyle, and look where they got in just the last year.
Hoping to see you proven wrong soon! :D

I just got back from my first wingfoil session of the downunder summer.

Super rusty, as last time I was out was mid April.

Still heaps enjoyable though for a newbie like me.

9 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

They also said it wasn't going to be much of anything for jumping/freestyle, and look where they got in just the last year.
Hoping to see you proven wrong soon! :D

Can't be proven wrong on this one, the water is far too shallow for winging. BUT, there are lots of other contexts where winging makes sense, including places like the Columbia River Gorge, large deep dams and lakes, and most oceans! For those looking for a forum, KiteForum has winging discussion and information. https://kiteforum.com/

Oh, and let me know when wingers can do this. I have watched the King of the Air competition in Cape Town several times and what these pros can do is amazing, and inspiring for weekenders like me. This competition is the northern equivalent, held in northern Denmark during a storm system a couple days ago and streamed on YouTube, and was a great competition in 30-40 knots with gusts to 50. These guys have coyones.

• Like 1

I believe that I am making the lame jump in the foreground at 3.00 in this Sam Light video about Cape Town, on the green/blue Naish Pivot 7m kite. That's about what I can do and at 65 I'm unlikely to get much better, but I thoroughly enjoy kiting in Cape Town each summer (except missed the last one due to covid and shoulder surgery).

8 minutes ago, Wavedancer II said:

What's the (US) cost for a beginners' wing foiling kit?

Does a beginner need/want a FOILING board?

I dont know the cost off the top of my head, but foil + board + wing will set you back $2-3k.

You can learn the wing part on a SUP, but it gets pretty boring very quickly. Foiling is so nice and smooth. Not to mention your drag goes waaay down.  Like a fresh powder run vs a groomed trail to borrow some terms from snowboarding / skiing. 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:52 PM, MauiPunter said:

You mean Boneyards?   Graveyards is on Oahu.

Boneyard... graveyard... it's been a while since I've been in that parking lot!

After putting my tail between my legs several times and now my age, I don't even contemplate riggin' up at Ho'okipa!

1 hour ago, Wavedancer II said:

I'm not an expert but just did this and here is my take.  $3-4k to start (1 Wing at $900, 1 foil at $1200, 1 board at $1200.  Plus a pump and a board leash, 2nd wing...) There are packages and discounts but the supply was low in the spring so I paid full price.  I have a Slingwing V2 5.4 m^2 wing, slingshot hoverglide FSUP V3 foil, Naish Hover 125 GS board, and haven't tried much else (once or twice on a buddy's gear) so listen to experts.

If you get a big floaty foil board I say just go for it vs a SUP.  If you go slow it slogs around just fine, and the ~30 inch foil mast works great as a daggerboard to keep you upwind where the SUP will only go downhill.  Just stay in chest deep water!  If you fall off a lot maybe go back to the SUP.  I also towed the foil board behind my boston whaler to practice foiling, you lift off around 8 kts on a big foil like I have so don't need a fast motorboat.

XtLlBA1NDJvHAH4iAiZuE57M9zuj0pdE0RG5lStqZaVyieAiQSnTxfwVzQ8mvn1o57BcO_37lc48p4sXXJe4QR077Bz6CNF6oJdgdhwUM-2FMdB301pq0FxRNaFXm7C1i_D_BR1lk8fzUct8EUbuLJpAEaTEuGult4DbDZp81B9G9Tl0chnf9B0JjqAG-v2EQ_30GRQUWrHfJZ4uJ_ef5fD-pZmJSjTUmwxv9zGQC-kEIOkYX9Awny7e4zUG_4UFQvV1IGGemaRfalmn5lmydKemgviVB38Q_9mg-YcYGgz9URWom89c2fiajt8uNn3aa0aTlg7ozCuv36ZEu8R5hixOAJMimQgXHHvWDDz_ggpWpH0gc2ilJUHDjmU48jYDzirt5ryvBNfUAqdizRVJLFIjKBBqDlDDsk9mU3-zYsktskokV0Z0RBeb76j1oZcND0sk38z8k6wa6V6xR53p9RoMIEo4U8FxtjK6HwCd8jreGX2M6PibxeeXj9Jox5HEIYNk1-AubK5u8S70dziUv2_f6tLv97unSRF9c25qvQ_SV8u7o7LaxzKXKUx5MajWG_5qHYf0FbJEb45GYtblXI7UZrdySUx6GJ-GD5p8G2o9Rhem4mrZJptTiR7C0YkQBk1XmR-vcOCarfWds6sTrHFldg1nDQ8ZMo24pN51d9CX6T88IDrUwMX9r2jP5rOVbrM56CDnqARmJeBairYROuQc0Q=w2579-h1934-no?authuser=0

• Like 2
On 9/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, TheDragon said:

Oh, and let me know when wingers can do this.

I'll admit, the big air thing doesn't capture my attention. Just feels like poor efficiency proximity paragliding? But yeah, nobody is there with the wings yet. But they will be. Those nuts were doing that on skis and gliding for years before kiting was a thing. Just a rebirth.

5 minutes ago, Roller Skates said:

I'll admit, the big air thing doesn't capture my attention. Just feels like poor efficiency proximity paragliding? But yeah, nobody is there with the wings yet. But they will be. Those nuts were doing that on skis and gliding for years before kiting was a thing. Just a rebirth.

Eh, more like "dont die and/or break every bone in your body if you make a mistake" proximity paragliding.

Here on the NJ shore, I’m just getting into winging after 30+ years of windsurfing at Sandy Hook, Aruba, Bonaire. I’m turning 60 and WS was getting very strenuous so I sold my WS gear awhile ago and would solo my Hobie 18 instead. I was tempted by kiting but worried about safety and back/shoulder injuries, even though I can wakeboard and fly the trainer kite. But I’m skipping to wing foiling for all the reasons people have mentioned. And I don’t need to go 30+ knots or jump 30+ feet….

Took two lessons with North Beach WS in St. Pete Beach FL and was hooked the minute I flew the wing. It combines kites, sails, WS sails and is very intuitive. Came home and sold the Hobie. I bought a Duotone Echo 7.0 wing since I’m 6’3” and 285# and like the boom and will be out in <20 knots usually.

Made my own trainer board out of an old Mistral longboard with a stick-on dagger board and fin and some EVA decking. First try was last weekend in 15 kt wind. Reminded me of early WS days: some struggling but flashes of glory! 

I’ll buy a 160 liter board and big foil this winter for next season. Can’t wait.

See you on the water, I’ll be the big old kid with a helmet.

• Like 3

Good luck, Robert. I have a kitesurfing friend in Cape Hatteras who is a little older than me, perhaps 70. Windsurfed for years, excellent kitesurfer. Decided to skip kite-foiling and go to wing-foiling. He's been practising almost every day with wind at Canadian Hole for two years now and still struggling. His knees and hips are not good enough to ride toeside, so he is working on foot-switch gybing and it is a struggle. I miss his company doing oceanside downwinders.

15 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Foot switch jibing...right 

I’m an old slalom skier, so pretty comfortable in an offside lean. Does anybody ride in boots without switching feet?

People who are doing jumps will use foot straps, but if you look closely they have them on both sides and will still switch after a gybe or tack. Obv you can ride toeside, but its a lot of twist in the torso and fairly straightforward to switch your feet.  Wingfoil boards use pretty big wings too so they are very stable when on foil. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hoektron said:

People who are doing jumps will use foot straps, but if you look closely they have them on both sides and will still switch after a gybe or tack. Obv you can ride toeside, but its a lot of twist in the torso and fairly straightforward to switch your feet.  Wingfoil boards use pretty big wings too so they are very stable when on foil. 

Which contrasts with kite-foiling where doing the foot-switch gybe is really hard, but riding toeside is relatively easy

23 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I was thinking totally in-line like a slalom water ski. Anyone tried that?

I mean if you're riding a wave or with the wing flagged out or downwind, sure, you can carve s-turns all day without switching your feet.

When you ride upwind though you need to sort of "heel" the board and edge against the wing which is trying to pull you downwind so it is much more comfortable to change your feet so you are facing the wing and not twisting your torso.

Also, WRT straps I pretty much never ride strapped and neither do most of my friends. Much more comfortable/free for foot placement and a lot safer in a crash. No risk of twisting an ankle in a fall or getting whipped straight into the water if you hit something. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 3:57 AM, Getwet said:

Ok,

Anyone agree?

Has anyone signed for one of the Academy packages 

It looks like 69F Sailing is pretty cool and more traditional in terms of sailing.

Kai is quite a wonder.  Watching him grow up on Maui was pretty amazing.  I can still remember when he was first learning to windsurf at Kanaha.  There were quite a few kids at the time and he was just one of the group that included Zane Schweitzer (son of Matt, and grandson of the founder of Windsurfer) and Connor Baxter (who is now world champion stand up paddle racer).  Robby Naish took Kai under his wing at a very young age and helped him develop into the waterman he is today.

• Like 1
On 9/25/2021 at 9:24 AM, Wavedancer II said:

Agreed...it's about $3500-4000 if you go all new.  I'm working on a setup and I bought a lightly used 6m wing for $600 and I have a line on a board with foils for $1k.