Shelf life of resin / hardner

Anyone have information on the shelf life of West Systems resin & Hardner?  

I have some old stuff in my repair box.  (not from this century)  Wondering if I can use it or if I need to bin it and buy fresh.  (ouch its expensive but still less than a replacement tiller)

Generally thought to be in the decades.

Make sure the resin doesn't have crystals in the bottom. If it does, a warm water bath (bath temperature) for an hour until it dissolves. Like melting honey crystals.

Just make up a test sample and see if it cures. 

I've had 20kg drums go solid. Got onto the supplier and was advised I needed to heat to 50deg C to remove all the crystals and return resin to normal without loss of properties. Good quality resins will do this if exposed to cold temps even well within their shelf life.  I've done this 3 different ways,  (!) putting in black plastic bag and in full sun on a hot day.  (2) heated with fan heater. They were metal drums so fan heater may not be a good option if in large plastic containers although  I have also returned smaller 5kg plastic containers of resin back to normal this way. (3) I also made a hot box that heater to 65deg C and used that. Just a 25- 60 watt light globe as the heat source.  Box made of 2 layers of ply with 50mm insulation between.   I think the main problem is the shelf life of the hardener and that depends a lot on how it is stored. If it absorbs moisture the strength of the resin  will be compromised. Do some tests and if in doubt I would  replace the hardener.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, silent bob said:

Had some 205 Hardener go Deep Purple, still worked!  

Yep me too a purply brown, used it for model making and imitating peat water laden Scottish Lochs.

4 hours ago, The Q said:

Yep me too a purply brown, used it for model making and imitating peat water laden Scottish Lochs.

I've had that too and find the deep purple 205 doesn't seem to kick as fast as fresh hardener.  On a hot day maybe that is an advantage... Less chance of smoke on the water.

I shook both the resin and hardner.  Didn't see any evidence of crystals in the resin.  The hardner, 205, was dark purple.  Decided to use it to reglue a laminated tiller.  Only mixed 30ml for the repair.  The pot kicked off in about the expected time.  Didn't set a clock to confirm.  

Will return the new resin & hardner to WM.  Part of my decision to use the old is because I had to buy 207, special clear, hardner at twice the cost of 205 or 206.  May buy some 206 if they have it just to have on hand.  Do not see any reason to replace the resin.  Good to know I heating it may be a solution in the future if needed. 

Thanks all for the input / information.

• Like 1