First time poster long time lurker. . . Anyway I just put an offer in on a J/29 by the name of Salsa. Question is anybody have any history on her? Anecdotes? Looking for some stories ( good and bad) to give me a warm and fuzzy about her. 

Also, any words of advice are welcome

Don’t know anything about this particular boat, however if it’s a masthead outboard J29, and as long as it’s in good shape you will have a winner. I will warn you, your sail budget will definitely have to be in the 5 figures. :lol:

2 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Don’t know anything about this particular boat, however if it’s a masthead outboard J29, and as long as it’s in good shape you will have a winner. I will warn you, your sail budget will definitely have to be in the 5 figures. :lol:

It's a FROB but in good shape. Still has some 40 y.o. boat problems but nothing a weekend or two won't solve. 

I was lucky enough to pick it up *after* the 5 figure sail inventory was added, that and the spars and standing rigging are brand new - as of 8 years ago at least. 

• Like 1

Well that’s good news. I was heavily involved in a successful J29 program for many years. They are fine sailing boats that bring home lots of silver when sailed decently. 
A former owner of the one I used to sail on is trying to buy the boat back and put the band back together. However I have moved on and want to get into multihull sailing.

Good luck and post pictures and results when you can!

1 hour ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Good luck and post pictures and results when you can!

When I did the walk through my phone was about dead so wasn't able to get any new photos but I did snipe one from the listing.

I was curious about double handing it as well. I read through some of the old threads here and the general consensus was anywhere between very tricky and no problem. . . What was your programs experience? What about single handing (when not racing)?

Screenshot_20210915-081817.png

• Like 2

Funny you should ask. My good buddy, one of the partners on the J29 sailed it more for pleasure than he did for racing. It’s a great double handed boat that he and I often went out on for “booze cruises”. Because both of us were decent sailors we could fly the kite at anytime. We had an old mercury outboard that didn’t run more times than it ran if you know what I’m saying. We have sailed that boat in and out of slips and anchorage’s more times then I can count. And when the wind died we could scull it, main up, at about 2 knots. 
I have fond memories of that boat and of many sailing adventures on it. Including a time when I borrowed the boat so I could take a date out on it, she was a sailing newb but none the less we had a great sail with the main and 135. Needless to say later that evening the side births are well broken in.
The J29 is really a big Flying Scott with a cabin you can’t stand up in. :lol:

edit: If you single hand have an auto pilot or a way to lash the tiller, that boat likes to go head to wind quick like.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's a deal. Took it out for sea trials and wow is it impressive, compared to the 4ksb's I've sailed before this thing is a rocket ship and I totally understand what all the hubub surrounding these boats is about. I believe that's the first time I've ever actually *felt* a sailboat accelerate

IMG_20210925_180929.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, Wetabehindtheears said:

Funny you should ask.

Great story! Should be getting salsa enticing enough to attract some rail candy this winter. It's crazy how many people want to be your friend when you have a good looking boat. . .

• Like 1
On 9/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, Wetabehindtheears said:

Funny you should ask. My good buddy, one of the partners on the J29 sailed it more for pleasure than he did for racing. It’s a great double handed boat that he and I often went out on for “booze cruises”. Because both of us were decent sailors we could fly the kite at anytime. We had an old mercury outboard that didn’t run more times than it ran if you know what I’m saying. We have sailed that boat in and out of slips and anchorage’s more times then I can count. And when the wind died we could scull it, main up, at about 2 knots. 
I have fond memories of that boat and of many sailing adventures on it. Including a time when I borrowed the boat so I could take a date out on it, she was a sailing newb but none the less we had a great sail with the main and 135. Needless to say later that evening the side births are well broken in.
The J29 is really a big Flying Scott with a cabin you can’t stand up in. :lol:

edit: If you single hand have an auto pilot or a way to lash the tiller, that boat likes to go head to wind quick like.

Just a slight correction........"The J29 is really a big GOOD LOOKING Flying Scot with a cabin you can't stand up in."

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Squalamax said:

with a cabin you can't stand up in

Luckily I don't plan on doing much in the cabin that requires standing. Was going to string up a couple hammocks for overnights (anyone try this?). Also the PO mentioned it's just enough room to fit a queen sized air mattress for the more fairer guests. . .