Maine Sail - HowToMarine

Reposted from Sailboat Owners Forums: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/maine-sail-update.1249931174/

In case you haven't heard, Maine Sail (some people call him Rodd Collins) had a medical event last week that left us all with more questions than answers. I just got off the phone with his brother and we finally have some details to share.

Rodd had a hemorrhagic stroke. He survived that -- many people would not -- and is now out of the ICU. While he's quite weak and dealing with limited movement, he is regaining his sense of humor and joking with nurses.

He starts rehab tomorrow so in the coming weeks he'll have a better idea of how this will unfold, but I'm told it's likely to be a long road back. Well, I should say it would be a long road for most people but if there's anyone who can put his mind to something and get it done, it's Rodd.

There's not much we can do right now to make things better for him, but I'm going to take the liberty of suggesting this:

If Rodd has ever given you some good advice, or solved an issue on your boat from 3,000 miles away, or recommended a product that did exactly what you needed, please consider making a donation through his website, https://marinehowto.com/support/. Just scroll down and click the Donate button. This will not only help his family during Rodd's recovery but help ensure his sites are still around and maintained when he's ready to jump back into the marine biz.

While this is extremely sad and disturbing news, I can't help but smile when I think of Rodd gaining strength, doing his research, and coming up with a plan that will leave him in better shape than he was in when it happened. If there's anyone who can pull it off, Maine Sail's the guy.

I have learned a lot from this guy and he has been super helpful to the sailing community.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

And he sells those long-billed caps. 

The ones with the ridiculously, almost comically long bills?

I've heard them called "Hemingway hats".

Been looking for one for years but all I've gotten is "Huh?"

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The ones with the ridiculously, almost comically long bills?

I've heard them called "Hemingway hats".

Been looking for one for years but all I've gotten is "Huh?"

They call them swordfisherman hats.

quaker_hero.jpg?fit=1200,800

Available from LL Bean.

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

Half a hundred sez LL Bean hat doesn't say "Compass Marine." And they don't look like H's hat at all. Thank goodness.

If and when I get old and infirm I may start producing hats. Longish bills and shortish ear flaps -- nothing like a flats guide hat ... just enough material to shade the ears. I can't believe I'm the only one to think of this but there you are. And yes I have a Tilley. I've met the guy and am thoroughly impressed with a guy selling $100 hats. 

Holy shit, we cannot afford to lose this guy. His online resources have been of enormous benefit to well, everyone who's ever read them.

I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

• Like 2

He is the one who brought me into what I have heard referenced as, "the cult of butyl" I've referred many many ppl to his website   You have my support Rod, get well!

This is really small potatoes for many of you but I carefully followed R's online directions to replace a 16 ga wire to the starter with a 10 ga wire and another to the ignition switch and then to the glow plugs and et voila! ALL ELEVEN of my horse powers sat straight up and fired!  O HAPPY DAY! 

4 minutes ago, Quickstep192 said:

I can't find those hats on his website. You didn't get me all excited for nuthin' did ya?

Looks like none of his stuff is for sale atm ... doubtless illness related. I "spoke" to Rodd and another guy at one point but maybe the other guy moved on. Bound to have stock but no one to shag it. Sure love to have a book to buy even though I've saved a lot of his fixes. 

22 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

This is really small potatoes for many of you but I carefully followed R's online directions to replace a 16 ga wire to the starter with a 10 ga wire and another to the ignition switch and then to the glow plugs and et voila! ALL ELEVEN of my horse powers sat straight up and fired!  O HAPPY DAY! 

I similarly followed directions to bed stanchion plates using bed-it. As you said, kind of small potatoes in the overall scheme of things, but his advice was spot on, incredibly helpful and prompt!  

I’ll definitely be making a donation along with wishes for a full and speedy recovery. 

1 hour ago, Quickstep192 said:

I similarly followed directions to bed stanchion plates using bed-it. As you said, kind of small potatoes in the overall scheme of things, but his advice was spot on, incredibly helpful and prompt!  

Yep but 5200 is still mighty popular. When eyeballing the new boat I noticed half a roll of butyl tape and it acutually changed my mood.

23 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Yep but 5200 is still mighty popular. When eyeballing the new boat I noticed half a roll of butyl tape and it acutually changed my mood.

5200 is great until you use it for something you’ll need to get apart later. I had to learn this lesson the hard way. 

8 hours ago, Bull City said:

On the swordfisherman's cap, try Quaker Marine Supply:

https://quakermarine.com/collections/swordfish

$58 and no ear protection? What do you get? "The new QMS—based in Brooklyn, New York—takes a similar tack, with clothing that will both turn heads at a pool party and stand up to years of saltwater adventuring.";)

Babe walks up at pool party ... "nice hat ... does the bill match the pole?"

Compass caps were $15. 

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

$58 and no ear protection? What do you get? "The new QMS—based in Brooklyn, New York—takes a similar tack, with clothing that will both turn heads at a pool party and stand up to years of saltwater adventuring.";)

Compass caps were $15. 

Don't you want to be a "head turner?" Sheesh!

Actually, if you're not careful and turn your head too fast, that long bill could poke someone in the eye.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Compass caps were $15. 

$15 bucks….really? Last time I got something for fifteen bucks it took four weeks on antibiotics to get rid of it :angry:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bull City said:

Don't you want to be a "head turner?" Sheesh!

Actually, if you're not careful and turn your head too fast, that long bill could poke someone in the eye.

But it's all fun until then.

On 9/16/2021 at 6:40 AM, Blue Crab said:

Got a Yanmar do ya? The 10awg ixed my starter issues too.

And yes, I'm another butylist.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jdazey said:

Got a Yanmar do ya? The 10awg ixed my starter issues too.

And yes, I'm another butylist.

Mine's a Universal but same story. It seemed to turn over the same but the new big wire to the glow plugs via the ignition sw was the difference-maker, I think. 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:03 AM, Blue Crab said:

If and when I get old and infirm I may start producing hats. Longish bills and shortish ear flaps -- nothing like a flats guide hat ... just enough material to shade the ears. 

I'd buy one of these. Why wait 'til you're old to get started? 

42 minutes ago, Quickstep192 said:

I'd buy one of these. Why wait 'til you're old to get started? 

Laziness has been my reason so far but I'm only 79 so plenty of time left ... but dang, I keep putting this thought out there and keep hoping someone in the field can make it happen. Me? as soon as I catch them, I have other fish to fry.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard an update about Rodd?  His store is still offline, last I checked. I hope he's doing OK.

Saw on SBO that he is still recovering. He has all kinds of therapy, selling the boat, business will not reopen, but he has Dragon speech to text and is learning that so he has posted an update and answered a few questions. Doctors are amazed he is still alive let alone functional. 

• Like 1

not to be crass - I donated to the cause - but was he the only source for that bed-it tape? I found it online for sale in canada, but do they just source it through Compass? Is anyone using an alternative that they are happy with?

It's ironic, I didn't even know about his stroke until today, but I remember thinking the last time I was on his site how much knowledge, how many years of good experience were encapsulated there. This is the 3rd vendor in about as many years that I've trusted that has gone out of business. :/ I hope for his and his family's sake that he makes a good recovery. He was always so helpful and patient with my newbie questions.

There's a post on his website that shows Rodd getting out of the hospital. He looks to be in good spirits, but I've read other accounts that say he's still got paralysis. 

There's also a link to donate to help him out. 

6 hours ago, ryley said:

not to be crass - I donated to the cause - but was he the only source for that bed-it tape? I found it online for sale in canada, but do they just source it through Compass? Is anyone using an alternative that they are happy with?

I've just ordered this stuff from a local supplier:

https://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/specials/butyl-tape-white-10m-x-20mm-roll/

I'll see how it compares with the bed-it tape, which I'm almost out of.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ryley said:

Funny I was looking to buy more yesterday as well. There's a bunch of options on Amazon, but I have a hard time believing that those will be near as good as Rod's.  I ordered what Jamestown Distributors had on their site thinking that they wouldn't sell a shit product. Indeed seems more commercially oriented (http://www.permatite.com/tapes-permatite-250H.php). Will shoot you a text with a review once I get it. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, cb32863 said:

Saw on SBO that he is still recovering. He has all kinds of therapy, selling the boat, business will not reopen, but he has Dragon speech to text and is learning that so he has posted an update and answered a few questions. Doctors are amazed he is still alive let alone functional. 

Thank you for the update. 

I'm hopeful that he'll continue to share his knowledge online. There are many ways that he can still do that.  I know life may never be the same for him but I hope that with therapy that he can regain some mobility and quality of life. I'm really sorry that this happened to him.  Any concerns I have about his store shutting down are strictly secondary.

• Like 3

I would be very interested in reviews of those other products. I suggested to SBO that they start carrying Bed-It but, no real response to that suggestion. And yes, I agree, his business is secondary. His family has told him that his recover is now his full time job.

• Like 1

I've used both Bed-It and other butyl tape. The other stuff is much easier to use. It's easy to re-position if you accidentally put it where you don't want it.  Bed-It sticks tenaciously as soon as it touches something. It's easy to see that that stickiness will make it perform far better than other butyl sealants.