Corrupt Duopoly. But keep arguing over the little shit

Maybe instead of arguing over "my guy/girl" is better than yours. We should focus on holding the ones paying them, accountable. 

This site is filled with hatred and vitriol designed to continue the "Us vs Them" mentality that keeps the attention off of the real puppet masters.

Neither Party will ever push legislation forward that threatens them. Yet we happily let ourselves be led into fighting over which one is more right/wrong. Rather than holding both of them accountable.

Link to law/legislation that will probably never be passed

IRS chief says $1 trillion in taxes goes uncollected every year | Reuters

Rather than having this thread descend into a shit slinging contest. Perhaps we can start posting examples of the ways we continue to be manipulated into fighting each other, instead of the puppeteers.

WL

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

Maybe instead of arguing over "my guy/girl" is better than yours. We should focus on holding the ones paying them, accountable. 

This site is filled with hatred and vitriol designed to continue the "Us vs Them" mentality that keeps the attention off of the real puppet masters.

Neither Party will ever push legislation forward that threatens them. Yet we happily let ourselves be led into fighting over which one is more right/wrong. Rather than holding both of them accountable.

Rather than having this thread descend into a shit slinging contest. Perhaps we can start posting examples of the ways we continue to be manipulated into fighting each other, instead of the puppeteers.

WL

Go fuck yourself!!!

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

WL

Welcome aboard. How long have I been talking about the Best Americans working to keep the masses divided?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Welcome aboard. How long have I been talking about the Best Americans working to keep the masses divided?

It has become blatantly obvious, as various money groups pay their critters to gouge chunks out of proposed legislation. Drug pricing is just one of the latest targets.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

It has become blatantly obvious, as various money groups pay their critters to gouge chunks out of proposed legislation. Drug pricing is just one of the latest targets.

I’m on board with that but until we have two parties that believe in free and fair elections even when they lose, it isn’t a duopoly issue. We currently have one party that refuses to disavow the big lie or investigate the insurrection/coup.  Let’s look into which rich folks paid for THAT for starters, and clean house of politicians who don’t believe in our Constitution. Until the Cheney/Kinzinger wing of the Party takes control from the insurrectionists, we don’t have a duopoly. 

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

WL

Sounds like the IRS needs some more funding so they can go after the biggest tax scofflaws. Many-fold return on monies spent.  Who would possibly be opposed to that?

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Sounds like the IRS needs some more funding so they can go after the biggest tax scofflaws. Many-fold return on monies spent.  Who would possibly be opposed to that?

They don't need more funding so much as they need to be free of the anti-patronage system: tax auditors look at Joe Megabux's return, and it's pretty clear that he owes a lot. They start the process. Joe's lawyer and accountant duck and dodge, then call Joe and say "No good this time, we're gonna get nailed." Joe calls up his Congresscritter and says "Hey, I'll give your PAC a hunney-G if you get the fuckin' IRS off my ass." The Congresscritter calls up the auditor and says, "Next time you so much as walk past the Megabux file slowly, you're fired."  And the case gets dropped.

- DSK

• Like 1

My question is: Who gets all this money that's spent on election campaigns?

Not the candidate.

Ad execs?

Advisors?

Staff?

There's something missing from this equation.

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Consultants.

- DSK

Yeah, I get that, but what do they actually do?

This is the same problem that I have w/ hedge fund "managers"..... They don't actually make anything. They don't produce a product. they just move money from one place to another, and make other people wealthier, while they make themselves fabulously wealthy. There's no sawdust, or metal shavings, or lettuce, or hamburger produced. It's all bullshit. Even Dr.s and  Lawyers today do not produce shit. They take no responsibility, they work for insurance companies, or pharmaceutical companies, and charge you for the privilege of 5 minutes of their time. I got a bill from my PCP today. The office visit cost $327.00.... For literally 5-6 minutes of face time. Yes I spent 45 minutes freezing my ass off in his exam room. Insurance paid $75. I'm expected to pay $18. The rest is "Adjusted".

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Yeah, I get that, but what do they actually do?

This is the same problem that I have w/ hedge fund "managers"..... They don't actually make anything. They don't produce a product. they just move money from one place to another, and make other people wealthier, while they make themselves fabulously wealthy. There's no sawdust, or metal shavings, or lettuce, or hamburger produced. It's all bullshit. Even Dr.s and  Lawyers today do not produce shit. They take no responsibility, they work for insurance companies, or pharmaceutical companies, and charge you for the privilege of 5 minutes of their time. I got a bill from my PCP today. The office visit cost $327.00.... For literally 5-6 minutes of face time. Yes I spent 45 minutes freezing my ass off in his exam room. Insurance paid $75. I'm expected to pay $18. The rest is "Adjusted".

What do consultants do? They put on a suit, drive 100 miles, borrow your watch and tell you what time it is.

Maybe we should find out who keeps cutting funding for the IRS while cutting taxes for the uber rich? That's where I would start, well except it's obvious. The corrupt duopoly ignores which side is working to change it or at least trying.

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Like 5

OP is deflection, so it's bullshit.

each side still has their values, their policies, their agendas. that ain't some triviality, one side IS the lesser of two evils.

fuck the gop and right-wing ideology.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

OP is deflection, so it's bullshit.

each side still has their values, their policies. one side IS the lesser of two evils.

Fuck the gop and right-wing ideology.

Fuck big money in politics. How many of these assholes have sold their souls for a pottage?

Just now, Ishmael said:

Fuck big money in politics. How many of these assholes have sold their souls for a pottage?

that's the core problem in 'merican politics.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

The corrupt duopoly ignores which side is working to change it or at least trying.

Not all of them.....

• Provide $100B in additional funding to the IRS over 10 years, generating $1.2 Trillion in revenue. $70B would go toward enforcement, $20B toward taxpayer services, and $10B toward IT and operations support. Every $1 spent would generate more than $11 in greater tax collection. Most of this funding would go toward hiring and training specialized enforcement professionals who will be focused on tax compliance of those with gross income of $1 million or more.
  • Improve IRS Technology by using $10B of the total $100B to upgrade decades-old systems. Pilot projects have suggested the return on investment from revenue gained could be as high as 50:1. 
  • Require IRS Audits of the Wealthiest Corporations and Individuals, including 95% of corporations with more than $20B in assets, 50% of individual tax returns with income over $10 million/year, and 20% of individual tax returns with income between $1-10 million/year.
  • Prevent the ultra-Rich from hiding their income by requiring additional reporting for their “pass-through” businesses. Individuals whose taxable income is above $400,000 (top 3% of AGI) AND who have received additional income from sources not previously disclosed to the IRS would have to disclose their income on a new 1099 report. They would use this info to prepare an accurate tax return that discloses all of their income, much as other taxpayers use 1099’s and W-2’s.
  • Mandate Regular Reporting to Congress to Enhance Oversight. IRS would be required to submit regular reports to Congress on its progress to recruit and retain auditors with the skills to audit high-income earners and report on revenue loss grouped by income levels and from offshore tax evasion.
  • Require IRS Audits of the Wealthiest Corporations and Individuals, including 95% of corporations with more than $20B in assets, 50% of individual tax returns with income over $10 million/year, 20% of individual tax returns with income between $1-5 million/year, and 33% of individual tax returns with income between $5-10 million/year.
  • Increased Penalties on Tax Fraud for Millionaires Cheating on their Taxes. Millionaires who falsify their tax returns would pay an additional penalty of 20-40% of the underpayment depending on their income.

https://khanna.house.gov/media/press-releases/release-khanna-introduces-stop-cheaters-act-making-ultra-rich-pay-their-fair

• Like 1
4 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

Complete Bull Pucky  . .  

when you succumb to the "They're All the Same" meme . . 

you empower the R-e-i-i-ch (i.e., Dogballs).  

The corporate media does that all the flippin' time. 

Don't you be falling for it Mr. !!! 

8 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

That's their goal.  Get the people pissed at each other so they can serve their fat cat donors.  And it's working amazingly well.

Can you imagine what would happen if our elected officials worked to unite the people?  Once united, we'd be up their asses to do the job they were elected to do.

8 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Not the candidate.

Ad execs?

Advisors?

Staff?

There's something missing from this equation.

Most of it is media buys - tv, print, billboards, etc.

Some is direct mail, I think less now than when I used to work in campaigns doing massive amounts of lists and labels.

Polling, consulting, social media presence. Staff salaries, campaign functions, "visibility" (signs & swag and showing the colors at public events), vehicle rentals, hall rentals, etc. etc.

-

A newer thing is all the lawyers to push the big lie.

This stuff is mostly reported, but the the Trump people raise the bar on scampaigning, by filter money back to Trump owner businesses and properties, and not exactly at below market rates.

Of course, it also varies where you are, what you're reunning for, and how much you need to buy. Running for U.S. Senate in a state like Wyoming or Rhode Island isn't too different from running for the house, since you still have to buy media for half the state. But in Wyoming, I assume you can do some focusing. Whereas in RI, when you buy advertising for RI, you are also paying for media reach in Massachusetts even if you don't want it.

https://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/abc_begich_spending_chart_SIZED_kb_141103.jpg

• Like 1

So, here's an idea

No more PAC. No politician is allowed to accept contributions from any person or corporation.

Instead, We the People, foot the bill. Each politician is granted a set amount of TV and Radio airtime, that the stations have to donate for their FCC license. Minimal costs to the stations in their overall revenue (especially since most are owned by a few B's that wouldn't even notice the impact)

Each politician is given a set amount of taxpayer dollars for signs and buttons. 

It would be cheaper in the long run for the taxpayers and it would eliminate most of the corruption and screwing over the taxpayer that the current system employs.

When this Country was founded, politics were never meant to be a career/full time job. It was civil service that you did and went back to the farm/ranch/job.

I know its naïve. But if it started at a local level, County or City, perhaps we could start taking back control of this runaway freight train that is hurtling towards a cliff.

WL

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 2slow said:

The Treasury Secretary is on board with that. We know the GOP won’t be. The real question is whether Sen. Manchin will acquiesce to it. 

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/572474-yellen-presses-democrats-on-tax-enforcement

13 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Not the candidate.

The candidate can funnel money out of PACs directly into his or her pockets.  This according to former FEC chair, Trevor Potter.   

49 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

So, here's an idea

No more PAC. No politician is allowed to accept contributions from any person or corporation.

Instead, We the People, foot the bill. Each politician is granted a set amount of TV and Radio airtime, that the stations have to donate for their FCC license. Minimal costs to the stations in their overall revenue (especially since most are owned by a few B's that wouldn't even notice the impact)

Each politician is given a set amount of taxpayer dollars for signs and buttons. 

It would be cheaper in the long run for the taxpayers and it would eliminate most of the corruption and screwing over the taxpayer that the current system employs.

When this Country was founded, politics were never meant to be a career/full time job. It was civil service that you did and went back to the farm/ranch/job.

I know its naïve. But if it started at a local level, County or City, perhaps we could start taking back control of this runaway freight train that is hurtling towards a cliff.

WL

This has been a suggested solution for a long time - but there are a couple problems with it.  Random Joe wants to run for office.  Does random Joe get the full alotment of money?  1,000,000 Random Joes decide that because it costs them nothing to run, they all want to run.  How do you decide who gets the money?

Second - you can't tell and individual not to buy a TV ad.  It's freedom of speech.  You can't tell him not to buy lawn signs.  Again - freedom of speech.  You can't tell him not have people go door to door stumping for him - freedom of speech.

43 minutes ago, White Lightning2 said:

So, here's an idea

It ould be cheaper in the long run for the taxpayers and it would eliminate most of the corruption and screwing over the taxpayer that the current system employs.

I know its naïve. But if it started at a local level, County or City, perhaps we could start taking back control of this runaway freight train that is hurtling towards a cliff

WL

All very practical but it will never happen, not with the people who make the laws and not with the brainwashed citizens who make up the bulk of voters.

There was a tipping point where each party decided money was more important than doing the job they were elected to do.  For the Rs, I believe it was during the Reagan years.  For the Ds, during the Clinton years.

Once "the word got out" that politics was the road to great wealth, the unscrupulous came in droves.  Now all you need is the gift of bullshit because most voters rely on the politician's bullshit rather than their actions when casting votes.

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

This has been a suggested solution for a long time - but there are a couple problems with it.  Random Joe wants to run for office.  Does random Joe get the full alotment of money?  1,000,000 Random Joes decide that because it costs them nothing to run, they all want to run.  How do you decide who gets the money?

Second - you can't tell and individual not to buy a TV ad.  It's freedom of speech.  You can't tell him not to buy lawn signs.  Again - freedom of speech.  You can't tell him not have people go door to door stumping for him - freedom of speech.

In my neighborhood, you fucking-A can indeed tell him to not put up lawn signs.

See, there is something good about POA/HOAs

- DSK

4 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

How do you qualify who gets airtime?

Does Vermin Supreme get the same taxpayer funded exposure as the mainstream party candidates?

2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

how do other countries keep money out of politics?

This. How does Sweden/Canada/Australia/New Zealand/France/etc do it? 

In my day job as a nerd, I often come up with a problem I don't know or cannot remember how to solve. I used to have a large library of books to reference in these cases. Now, I just google the problem and the likelihood of several solutions having already been found is very high and a quickie copy/paste does the trick. (Thanks, StackOverflow)

Why is this so hard to do with politics? There's 192 or so other places that can be observed to see if something works or not. A reasonable process would look like:

1. Identify the problem.

2. Look around the planet and find where the problem has already been solved or at least is better. Use metrics.  Make a list or spreadsheet or something.

3. Pick the best one from the list and just fucking do that

Lather, rinse, repeat. 

I know. The dumbasses mess it all up for the rest of us... This is why we can't have nice things. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, gptyk said:

This. How does Sweden/Canada/Australia/New Zealand/France/etc do it? 

In my day job as a nerd, I often come up with a problem I don't know or cannot remember how to solve. I used to have a large library of books to reference in these cases. Now, I just google the problem and the likelihood of several solutions having already been found is very high and a quickie copy/paste does the trick. (Thanks, StackOverflow)

Why is this so hard to do with politics? There's 192 or so other places that can be observed to see if something works or not. A reasonable process would look like:

1. Identify the problem.

2. Look around the planet and find where the problem has already been solved or at least is better. Use metrics.  Make a list or spreadsheet or something.

3. Pick the best one from the list and just fucking do that

Lather, rinse, repeat. 

I know. The dumbasses mess it all up for the rest of us... This is why we can't have nice things. 

It's not the dumbasses, it's the politicians bought by industry and special interest groups that are the problem. The three "moderate" Dems who are trying to cancel out drug pricing reform raked in just under $2 million between them. The big problem is they don't even try to hide their indebtedness.

Then there's the white christian nationalists...

It's the anonymity of the cash that is the problem. PACTs collect money in order to shield where it comes from. Laws against that would not violate free speech and the donors are free to give their money directly. Another reasonable law would say that only voters eligible to vote for the candidate can donate. We have elections to hire these folks to represent us. I can't go vote for a senator in another state, so why should anyone not eligible to vote in my state be allowed to fund candidates here? 

When I know whose money is behind a candidate, I can tell who is pulling the strings. That tells me more about a candidate than the thousand sound bites and million flyers in my mail. But we're basically fucked on any realistic campaign reform, ethical or financial. The guys most affected are the guys in charge of deciding what laws to pass!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I’m on board with that but until we have two parties that believe in free and fair elections even when they lose, it isn’t a duopoly issue. We currently have one party that refuses to disavow the big lie or investigate the insurrection/coup.  Let’s look into which rich folks paid for THAT for starters, and clean house of politicians who don’t believe in our Constitution. Until the Cheney/Kinzinger wing of the Party takes control from the insurrectionists, we don’t have a duopoly. 

^^^^^^^^

This! We do NOT have a duopoly and one party is NOT just the same as the other one with different advertising and different catch phrases. That may have been true at one time, but no longer. If you do the "they are all shitheads" dance, you soon will not have 2 parties to worry about.

23 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:
21 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

^^^^^^^^

This! We do NOT have a duopoly and one party is NOT just the same as the other one with different advertising and different catch phrases. That may have been true at one time, but no longer. If you do the "they are all shitheads" dance, you soon will not have 2 parties to worry about.

^ ding ding ding ^

So far we seem to be slow-walking the part where the guys who tried to overthrow the gov't by force, and lost, are lined up against the fucking wall and shot. But if we can get to the bottom of who is really the brains and the bucks behind the operation... other than Putin, I mean... that will be very good to know.

- DSK

1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:
1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

I just cannot stop laughing at a call for a Cheney to take over the Republican Party.... to save America!
My, my, my you people are hilarious. All about the outrage d'jour bull shitters.

Call from whom?

I assume it was a collect call

- DSK

Copied from the Ignore thread with full credit to BnG for making me snort single malt through my nose!!

Oxford University researchers have discovered the densest element yet known to science.
The new element, Governmentium (symbol=Gv), has one neutron, 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.
These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called pillocks.
Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it can be detected, because it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact.
A tiny amount of Governmentium can cause a reaction that would normally take less than a second, to take from 4 days to 4 years to complete.
Governmentium has a normal half-life of 2 to 6 years.
It does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganisation in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places.
In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganisation will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes.
This characteristic of moron promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a critical concentration.
This hypothetical quantity is referred to as a critical morass.
When catalysed with money, Governmentium becomes Administratium (symbol=Ad), an element that radiates just as much energy as Governmentium, since it has half as many pillocks but twice as many morons.
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

^ ding ding ding ^

So far we seem to be slow-walking the part where the guys who tried to overthrow the gov't by force, and lost, are lined up against the fucking wall and shot. But if we can get to the bottom of who is really the brains and the bucks behind the operation... other than Putin, I mean... that will be very good to know.

- DSK

All politicians are sucking us dry. Arguing over which is less corrupt is a bit like complaining that you were lucky to be mugged by someone with a knife, instead of a gun.

As to the Jan 6th fiasco, they should have been shot on site. All of them. Anyone who entered the Capitol during that riot, should have been put down with extreme prejudice. I remember watching just shocked that Capitol police were backing up. WTF??? Your job is DEFEND the fucking place???

But, I also think that all riots should be handled that way. But that's an entirely different debate

WL

• Like 1
6 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

^^^^^^^^

Sorry. They are all shitheads. At least after their second election to the Senate or third election to the House. Same goes for anyone running for President. They have to be crazy, naive, a con man/woman, greedy beyond belief or just plain stupid. Or, they are perceived as so weak that the Party can control them. That's the problem the D's made with Obama and the R's made with the former asshole. O actually rose to the occasion more often than not. TFA did his best to turn this country into a third-world shithole.

Ya roles the dice and ya takes ya chances. Regardless of party, the middle class gets a big red, white and blue dick shoved up their ass either way.

With apologies to George Carlin for stealing his line.

1 minute ago, Remodel said:

Ya roles the dice and ya takes ya chances. Regardless of party, the middle class gets a big red, white and blue dick shoved up their ass either way.

Look at the Eva Dense !!  

The middle class would not even exist were it not for ONE political party, and to this day the middle class does significantly better when ONE PARTICULAR PARTY is calling the shots. 

All of ya Both Sidesists seem quite averse to history or empirical reality. 

I don't much care for a whole lot of Dems, but they are qualitatively better - and that can be proven. 

image.png.906fa6b7399fddba74e823a1ff202363.png

16 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Look at the Eva Dense !!  

The middle class would not even exist were it not for ONE political party, and to this day the middle class does significantly better when ONE PARTICULAR PARTY is calling the shots. 

All of ya Both Sidesists seem quite averse to history or empirical reality. 

I don't much care for a whole lot of Dems, but they are qualitatively better - and that can be proven. 

image.png.906fa6b7399fddba74e823a1ff202363.png

I'll grant you that the dems are generally better for the middle class when they first come to office, but by their second or third terms, they have been bought by the special interests and are sucking up to the big donors. Much as I admire AOC (even though I don't agree with many of her ideas) I am waiting to compare her agenda from 2018 to what it will be in 2024.

1 minute ago, Remodel said:

I'll grant you that the dems are generally better for the middle class when they first come to office, but by their second or third terms, they have been bought by the special interests

About one third of the Dems are terrible sell-out opportunists  . . 

but there are some very good ones worthy of support 

such as my Senator Sherrod Brown and others 

8 hours ago, White Lightning2 said:

All politicians are sucking us dry. Arguing over which is less corrupt is a bit like complaining that you were lucky to be mugged by someone with a knife, instead of a gun.

Sorry, but that's just dumb as shit.

First, if the choice is to be shot or stabbed, you want to pretend there's no difference?

Second, compare convictions of Republicans with convictions of Democrats. Pretending there is no difference between the teo parties at a basic moral level is blind as well as stupid.

That certainly does not mean all Democrats are saints and all Republicans are evil. Nor does it mean this was... and always will be... the balance between parties. Tammany Hall, for example, was Democratic as were the Dixiecrats.

But saying "there's no difference" is just dumb. Please tell us you don't really believe it.

- DSK

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

All of ya Both Sidesists...

Your quoted image uses the word "equally."  While Rs and Ds may not be on the same plane of corruption, they are both largely corrupt. 

In the category of taking campaign bribes, they may very well be equal.  In the category of lying and cheating in order to rig the outcome of elections, they are not equal but the Ds have engaged in gerrymandering to their benefit.

Corruption is corruption.  And while the degrees of such may be unequal, we should not ignore the corruption of the lesser or we effectively absolve them of corruption.  And we all know where that leads.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jules said:

And while the degrees of such may be unequal, we should not ignore the corruption of the lesser or we effectively absolve them of corruption.  And we all know where that leads.

Well, when you use that crude reductionism shtick, you enable the Right to claim that "they are all the same" and "everybody does it". 

Your Bothsidesism enables the R-e-i-cch. 

But of course we should fight corruption wherever we find it. 

6 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well, when you use that crude reductionism shtick, you enable the Right to claim that "they are all the same" and "everybody does it".

Your Bothsidesism enables the R-e-i-cch. 

There you go again. 

6 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

But of course we should fight corruption wherever we find it. 

Now you're getting it.

Class dismissed.

• Like 1