Australian Submarines

2 hours ago, floating dutchman said:
8 hours ago, DarthSailor said:
11 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yes, but did they get the sheep off in time?

you might need to be more specific.

I think that the sheep came with them.

Golf clap.

On 9/17/2021 at 3:32 AM, Ease the sheet. said:

Hopefully the subs will have a more equal number of downs and ups.....

Kind of like private aviation? Never left one up there!!!

On 9/17/2021 at 6:10 PM, DarthSailor said:

Not sure I understand the diego garcia reference, that's essentially an airbase not really used as a naval base.

You obviously don't know about the undersea tunnel at DFG.  :ph34r:

• Like 1
On 9/18/2021 at 2:09 PM, Zonker said:

The fastest REPORTED one was a Soviet one that could do 42 knots

Alfa class. This was built back when the soviets open for speed rather than stealth. The idea was if they can't out sneak NATO, they can outrun them, and they did. There was a handful of years in the 80's where the Alfa could flat out run pretty much any NATO weapon. These were impressive ships but heavily automated for a variety of reasons I won't go into here which caused a lot of down time for repairs. If anyone is interested further, SubBrief channel on YouTube is an excellent source. He has done several OSINT briefs on a variety of boats, Alfa included.

Also brings up why a fully automated drone sub isn't really a great idea, other than small scale stuff. Communication isn't the only problem although it is certainly the biggest for a number of reasons. Even a totally autonomous wouldn't fit the role of modern boats totally. 

t. MMN1(SS)(RET)

• Like 1
On 9/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, flyingdog said:

Zonk,

What are luaus called in Guam? Nice lady at lunch said they have their own term, but couldn't remember from her childhood days living there.

Thanks,

FD

I would call them hot!

4 hours ago, Fenrir1001 said:

Alfa class. This was built back when the soviets open for speed rather than stealth. The idea was if they can't out sneak NATO, they can outrun them, and they did. There was a handful of years in the 80's where the Alfa could flat out run pretty much any NATO weapon. These were impressive ships but heavily automated for a variety of reasons I won't go into here which caused a lot of down time for repairs. If anyone is interested further, SubBrief channel on YouTube is an excellent source. He has done several OSINT briefs on a variety of boats, Alfa included.

Also brings up why a fully automated drone sub isn't really a great idea, other than small scale stuff. Communication isn't the only problem although it is certainly the biggest for a number of reasons. Even a totally autonomous wouldn't fit the role of modern boats totally. 

t. MMN1(SS)(RET)

You still cant outrun a helicopter