Nothing on the internet for Chemistry PHD who states she published in journals?

I met someone who stated the below but the only info/docs on the internet were three team papers she worked on when doing her undergrad work at the University of Florida. After that there is one hit on her at Colorado, her dissertation on file at the online library. After that not a thing. What are the odds that someone who would say the below would have zero hits for research publications after she graduated (or didn't)?

I received my PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Colorado, I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Chemistry program at the University of Florida before that. I have worked as a research scientist at a variety of prestigious government, academic and industrial labs. In the years that I devoted to science I published about a dozen papers that have been accepted in scientific peer-reviewed journals.

So uh... first red flag is that she's shit at writing resumes.  You list the SPECIFICS of that sort of thing - unless you are trying to hide things behind a wall of BS.  Previous work experience should be a freaking HEADING on a resume with a list of what you've done.....and a list of people you can contact to verify her work.

And how do you publish "about" a dozen papers?  Is that like being mostly pregnant?

A simple follow up of "what papers, what publications, what companies,and who were your bosses and contact numbers" should iron it out pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

So uh... first red flag is that she's shit at writing resumes.  You list the SPECIFICS of that sort of thing - unless you are trying to hide things behind a wall of BS.  Previous work experience should be a freaking HEADING on a resume with a list of what you've done.....

not a resume, a message with that phrase in it to support her being an expert on a subject

3 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

not a resume, a message with that phrase in it to support her being an expert on a subject

Well, then 'what papers and what publications' should be pretty easy. 

9 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Because someone on the internet is wrong, clearly.

xkcd: Duty Calls

That is classic, right up there with "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog"

But it sounds like you have a potential Wofseyette on your hands.

- DSK

9 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

To what purpose is this being posted and discussed?  

just curiosity as I read the last sentence in the phrase in an email abstract and was curious what papers she wrote

this is not a person I can communicate directly with to ask further questions

56 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

just curiosity as I read the last sentence in the phrase in an email abstract and was curious what papers she wrote

this is not a person I can communicate directly with to ask further questions

Then why bother?

Just because someone tells lies, that doesn't necessarily make them a Trump.

this is not about the person, this is about the internet which began as an academic deal initially and when netscape came out and the first search engine you got lots of academic hits to docs and abstracts

I was just stunned when I put the name in and no docs showed up. Thats all. 

I just Googled myself and found a bunch of Obits,  a voter registration list, and one long expired website.

None of the articles that I've written, or that have been written about me show up..... At least on the first 5 pages.....

I was a little concerned about the number of obits that I have, but none of them had pictures of the actual me, so I figure I'm still alive at this point.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

this is not about the person, this is about the internet which began as an academic deal initially and when netscape came out and the first search engine you got lots of academic hits to docs and abstracts

I was just stunned when I put the name in and no docs showed up. Thats all. 

Odd for sure. With all the basement blogs out there, and awesome web designers ... no peer-reviewed stuff means they are not a real player. IMHO. We see that right here too often. 

Wait a minute..... How did you "meet" this person, and yet you can not communicate directly with them? Was this a "virtual meet" as In "Sure, I know MrLeft8. We're both on SA.", or a real physical introduction shared breathing room kind of meet?

14 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

None of the articles that I've written, or that have been written about me show up..... At least on the first 5 pages.....

Unfathomable. Yet another reason for me not to trust Google.

4 hours ago, billsreef said:

If you used regular Google, try again with Google Scholar. It works much better for finding published scientific papers. Pubmed also has a very good search function for scientific journal papers. 

thanks, did not know about that and sure enough I found two articles, not 12, and on those she was one of 5-8 authors and it related to one her previous jobs in industry

looks like there's a lot of sharing of authorship to get names out there as "published" in the science fields

smelling a little exaggeration, seems like she would have at least a linkedin type profile out there of which there is nothing and short of transcripts it looks difficult to check whether someone actually got through the dissertation and interview process and was awarded a Ph.D.

I'm now done with my silly background check :)

thanks for the help, folks, learned a lot

19 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I met someone who stated the below but the only info/docs on the internet were three team papers she worked on when doing her undergrad work at the University of Florida. After that there is one hit on her at Colorado, her dissertation on file at the online library. After that not a thing. What are the odds that someone who would say the below would have zero hits for research publications after she graduated (or didn't)?

I received my PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of Colorado, I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Chemistry program at the University of Florida before that. I have worked as a research scientist at a variety of prestigious government, academic and industrial labs. In the years that I devoted to science I published about a dozen papers that have been accepted in scientific peer-reviewed journals.

well the phd and sum come alot should be easy to verify....    well you know how those UF folks lie alot...    maybe ping gaston and see what he can find, he has "connections" at UF..

Here's the email from the person in question (I redacted with "X"'s). Paragraph 3 is a whopper hidden in the smoke of creds and "I am a scientist!".  Apparently, she forgets that polio vaccine, aspirin, opioids, alcohol, etc. all promote the same reactions in over 99% of the human population. This was sent to a CEO of a company I advise and this CEO then sent this to his board as an example of the "caliber" of employee his company hires and so they should be careful how his company moves forward with Biden's mandate. I post this here only that I tried to confirm her claims of "Ph.D." and publishing articles. Frankly, I did not even do a text search to see if she actually just pulled the bulk of this from some other source, especially the last two paragraphs.

My name is X, I am a new hire from Spring of this year. For the six months I’ve been working at "X company" I’ve been largely sitting on the sidelines watching everything unfold, telling myself this is my place as I have no skin in the "X company" game. But with how much the words “follow the science” have been thrown around recently by those with power, I now feel compelled to speak out because in this we are losing the essence of what science really is. You probably know nothing about me but I do have skin in game when it comes to science: I received my PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of X, I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Chemistry program at the University of X before that. I have worked as a research scientist at a variety of prestigious government, academic and industrial labs. In the years that I devoted to science I published about a dozen papers that have been accepted in scientific peer-reviewed journals. Science is one of the few things in this world that I trust in whole heartedly, and I wanted to share some points that I feel very strongly about.

In a nutshell, the foundations of science are built upon the scientific method, which is an iterative process used to address a question that has emerged from some physical observation. Historical data and current understandings are then used to pose an educated guess, a hypothesis, to answer that question. Carefully designed experiments are used to isolate controls and test variables such that we can collect data from which conclusions may be drawn. After all this is said and done, it is disseminated back into the scientific community, the steps of the scientific method are then repeated such that experiments can be replicated and the series of controls, variables, approximations and methods used by each investigating party can be tweaked and modified to challenge conclusions previously drawn in a way that differentiates between correlation and causation. Through hundreds (if not thousands) of studies performed from independent research groups over years and years one will find a myriad of hypotheses posed and conclusions drawn, some of which support each other and some of which do not. This beautiful cacophony of conflict is the very essence of what science is. This process takes a lot of time and cannot progress naturally in an environment where the unpopular stance is forced to undergo censorship.

To put this all into context: the major question being posed today is how can we can attenuate the symptoms of the COVID-19 infection in individuals who have been exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. I am not pro-vaccine and I am not anti-vaccine, I simply am acknowledging that there has not been enough time for the full scientific process to occur. Undoubtedly, progress has been made but there simply has not been enough time for independent research groups to perform thorough scientific studies and look at what’s happening from all angles over any substantial amount of time. The human body is a complicated biochemical equilibrium and the very notion of vaccine mandates implies that one chemical can provide the same protection to every person, despite major differences in our individual chemistries and genetics. The decision to inject oneself with a novel pharmaceutical drug to treat the potential of symptoms from an infection we might get from a virus we might be exposed to should be a decision based on each individual’s personal and medical and history. This should be a choice held in the hands of each individual, not something that is forced upon us by government authorities, especially in an atmosphere where those same entities stand to profit and gain power through those very same mandates.

I am appalled with how our government is using the name of science to push an agenda. Science is not a punchline, it is not a one-size-fits-all answer that has been produced hastily in labs funded by the same pharmaceutical companies that are pushing their products on the masses. The very suggestion that this is science is insulting, misleading and a very dangerous step toward the perversion of a system that is meant to keep knowledge pure and free of all the biases and subjective faults of the humans who perform and are invested in the outcomes of these studies. I am terrified with by how our individual intelligence, bodily wisdom and human rights are being pushed aside in the name of science. As a scientist, I stand against the medical mandates being imposed by the Federal government in response to COVID-19. I know how valuable and scarce your time is, and I am deeply appreciative of your taking the time to read this and of your consideration of my stance on this issue.

Best,

X

She does not present herself very well. If she hasn't learned how to write a full paragraph, and use proper punctuation, how can one expect her lab skills to be any more competent.

She writes as if, like OMG! she's like talking to her BFF!

16 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

thanks, did not know about that and sure enough I found two articles, not 12, and on those she was one of 5-8 authors and it related to one her previous jobs in industry

looks like there's a lot of sharing of authorship to get names out there as "published" in the science fields

smelling a little exaggeration, seems like she would have at least a linkedin type profile out there of which there is nothing and short of transcripts it looks difficult to check whether someone actually got through the dissertation and interview process and was awarded a Ph.D.

I'm now done with my silly background check :)

thanks for the help, folks, learned a lot

Invention has many fathers.

(Parents)

Edited by 00seven
PC edit
9 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Here's the email from the person in question (I redacted with "X"'s). Paragraph 3 is a whopper hidden in the smoke of creds and "I am a scientist!".  Apparently, she forgets that polio vaccine, aspirin, opioids, alcohol, etc. all promote the same reactions in over 99% of the human population. This was sent to a CEO of a company I advise and this CEO then sent this to his board as an example of the "caliber" of employee his company hires and so they should be careful how his company moves forward with Biden's mandate. I post this here only that I tried to confirm her claims of "Ph.D." and publishing articles. Frankly, I did not even do a text search to see if she actually just pulled the bulk of this from some other source, especially the last two paragraphs.

My name is X, I am a new hire from Spring of this year. For the six months I’ve been working at "X company" I’ve been largely sitting on the sidelines watching everything unfold, telling myself this is my place as I have no skin in the "X company" game. But with how much the words “follow the science” have been thrown around recently by those with power, I now feel compelled to speak out because in this we are losing the essence of what science really is. You probably know nothing about me but I do have skin in game when it comes to science: I received my PhD in Physical Chemistry from the University of X, I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Chemistry program at the University of X before that. I have worked as a research scientist at a variety of prestigious government, academic and industrial labs. In the years that I devoted to science I published about a dozen papers that have been accepted in scientific peer-reviewed journals. Science is one of the few things in this world that I trust in whole heartedly, and I wanted to share some points that I feel very strongly about.

In a nutshell, the foundations of science are built upon the scientific method, which is an iterative process used to address a question that has emerged from some physical observation. Historical data and current understandings are then used to pose an educated guess, a hypothesis, to answer that question. Carefully designed experiments are used to isolate controls and test variables such that we can collect data from which conclusions may be drawn. After all this is said and done, it is disseminated back into the scientific community, the steps of the scientific method are then repeated such that experiments can be replicated and the series of controls, variables, approximations and methods used by each investigating party can be tweaked and modified to challenge conclusions previously drawn in a way that differentiates between correlation and causation. Through hundreds (if not thousands) of studies performed from independent research groups over years and years one will find a myriad of hypotheses posed and conclusions drawn, some of which support each other and some of which do not. This beautiful cacophony of conflict is the very essence of what science is. This process takes a lot of time and cannot progress naturally in an environment where the unpopular stance is forced to undergo censorship.

To put this all into context: the major question being posed today is how can we can attenuate the symptoms of the COVID-19 infection in individuals who have been exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. I am not pro-vaccine and I am not anti-vaccine, I simply am acknowledging that there has not been enough time for the full scientific process to occur. Undoubtedly, progress has been made but there simply has not been enough time for independent research groups to perform thorough scientific studies and look at what’s happening from all angles over any substantial amount of time. The human body is a complicated biochemical equilibrium and the very notion of vaccine mandates implies that one chemical can provide the same protection to every person, despite major differences in our individual chemistries and genetics. The decision to inject oneself with a novel pharmaceutical drug to treat the potential of symptoms from an infection we might get from a virus we might be exposed to should be a decision based on each individual’s personal and medical and history. This should be a choice held in the hands of each individual, not something that is forced upon us by government authorities, especially in an atmosphere where those same entities stand to profit and gain power through those very same mandates.

I am appalled with how our government is using the name of science to push an agenda. Science is not a punchline, it is not a one-size-fits-all answer that has been produced hastily in labs funded by the same pharmaceutical companies that are pushing their products on the masses. The very suggestion that this is science is insulting, misleading and a very dangerous step toward the perversion of a system that is meant to keep knowledge pure and free of all the biases and subjective faults of the humans who perform and are invested in the outcomes of these studies. I am terrified with by how our individual intelligence, bodily wisdom and human rights are being pushed aside in the name of science. As a scientist, I stand against the medical mandates being imposed by the Federal government in response to COVID-19. I know how valuable and scarce your time is, and I am deeply appreciative of your taking the time to read this and of your consideration of my stance on this issue.

Best,

X

If it would help, I could print this out and tape it up over a urinal so peers could review it.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, chum said:

Unfathomable. Yet another reason for me not to trust Google.

Of fuk......
You mean the interweb is full of BS?
Please don't tell the guys over in PA, it would ruin it all for us.