J22 Monster garage - picked up a salvage J22

I picked up a salvage 1985 J22 for -$1.  Not a typo.  They're paying me $1 to haul it away.  The mast crumpled.  You can see it taped to the trailer, and when it went down it put a hole in the deck.  Relatively easy repair.  I found the original trailer to the boat and I found a used mast for $100.  Also not a typo.  That's a story in and of itself.  

A guy in Wisconsin bought two J22s for their lead to make sinkers out of.  He cut the keels off with the sump.  He's parting out the boats.  A 1988 hull and he couldn't figure out the other.  If anybody wants a project, I'll connect you.  I considered one of those hulls just to save a boat but it's a lot of work to piece them back together.

Pickup.jpg

unnamed.jpg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, WCB said:

I picked up a salvage 1985 J22 for -$1.  Not a typo.  They're paying me $1 to haul it away.  The mast crumpled.  You can see it taped to the trailer, and when it went down it put a hole in the deck.  Relatively easy repair.  I found the original trailer to the boat and I found a used mast for $100.  Also not a typo.  That's a story in and of itself.  

A guy in Wisconsin bought two J22s for their lead to make sinkers out of.  He cut the keels off with the sump.  He's parting out the boats.  A 1988 hull and he couldn't figure out the other.  If anybody wants a project, I'll connect you.  I considered one of those hulls just to save a boat but it's a lot of work to piece them back together.

I've been trying to get ahold of that guy through his facebook and his market place ad all summer. Can I have his info?
Our fleet wants to grab the rest of the parts for use here in MN including any more masts if he's got em.

Edited by Roller Skates
SPEEELIN IS HRD
15 hours ago, steele said:

That is so cool, keep posting updates.

Will do.  The mast is about to get picked up by my friend and President of Park City Sailing who happened to be driving through with his Farr 30 in tow so I got a cheap ride for the mast.  Next is to get the hull here.  It's near Charleston at the moment and we're looking at UShip bids to get it out here.  

The plan is to bring the hull up to modern racing standards.  Underwater Epoxy bottom.  Fair the hull and check the keel and rudder.  

We picked up two rudders from the guy in Wisc. so I may pick the best one and run with that.

$799 boat in Summerville, SC  (-$1 boat, $100 mast, $700 trailer)

J22_SC1.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

I've been trying to get ahold of that guy through his facebook and his market place ad all summer. Can I have his info?
Our fleet wants to grab the rest of the parts for use here in MN including any more masts if he's got em.

Return PM sent

5 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

I have no interest in snaking any of the parts, but where in Wisconsin is he?  If he’s anywhere near me, I’d be happy to help if I can. 

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I have no interest in snaking any of the parts, but where in Wisconsin is he?  If he’s anywhere near me, I’d be happy to help if I can. 

Sounds like @WCB got all the good stuff already (Masts, rudders, booms, etc), but I'm gonna get in touch and see. May be worth taking the stainless fittings like bow tang etc. The FB marketplace ad put it somewhere midstate south of Eau Claire I think. If I go I'll get in touch.

1 hour ago, Roller Skates said:

Sounds like @WCB got all the good stuff already (Masts, rudders, booms, etc), but I'm gonna get in touch and see. May be worth taking the stainless fittings like bow tang etc. The FB marketplace ad put it somewhere midstate south of Eau Claire I think. If I go I'll get in touch.

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Blue River, WI

23 hours ago, WCB said:

Pickup.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Noice! Even comes with a gin pole you can sell to your local J24 fleet.

• Like 1
On 9/19/2021 at 9:18 PM, WCB said:

I'll bet those were the two J22s that Hoofers Sailing Club sent to UW-SWAP a few months back. Those boats (named Shaken and Stirred) were pretty rough when I sailed them ~8 years ago, and they've had a LOT of time sitting in a field, unloved since. 

Check anything you get off those two boats REALLY closely, the poor things saw a pretty hard life at Hoofers.

14 minutes ago, Norm01 said:

so he gets two 22 yachts to use the lead keel to make sinkers from - 

surely lead isn't that scarce ?

Yup, he even asked me if I had any keelboats to sell him.  You'd think it was but I can't think that he made out that well.  

1 hour ago, JM1366 said:

I'll bet those were the two J22s that Hoofers Sailing Club sent to UW-SWAP a few months back. Those boats (named Shaken and Stirred) were pretty rough when I sailed them ~8 years ago, and they've had a LOT of time sitting in a field, unloved since. 

Check anything you get off those two boats REALLY closely, the poor things saw a pretty hard life at Hoofers.

You are correct...those are the boats.  Rudders, one mast, and two spin poles...and a couple of other odds and ends are all we took.  Mast looks straight but it's clear that all fittings need to be checked.  It's in Iowa right now, here tomorrow.  I'll look it over and get it fixed up.

2 hours ago, Schnappi said:

Was this on cooperss?

That's the one...or at least another one because I bought one off Coopers in the Fall.  That one was in NJ and same thing, broken mast, a few scrapes on the bottom of the boat but otherwise that boat is great.  We cleaned up the scrapes, painted the bottom again and bought it a new mast and it's our best J22.

17 minutes ago, WCB said:

Yup, he even asked me if I had any keelboats to sell him.  You'd think it was but I can't think that he made out that well.  

You are correct...those are the boats.  Rudders, one mast, and two spin poles...and a couple of other odds and ends are all we took.  Mast looks straight but it's clear that all fittings need to be checked.  It's in Iowa right now, here tomorrow.  I'll look it over and get it fixed up.

Yeah, I would think he could have come up with a better lead source than J-22s. I mean, HOW many 1970s and 1980s cruisers from the likes of O'day / Hunter / McGregor (or any of those other floating condos that look like they were run over by a reindeer) would seem to be better candidates. There are SO MANY of those things rotting in fields, and they were miserable boats to begin with. I'll bet the guy could get a few of those for FREE from someone who doesn't want to pay to landfill them

There isn't that much lead in a J22 (~700 lbs ????), and a J22 still has some usefulness and value as a boat, since the class is still pretty active.

Those old Hoofer boats were pretty rough, but I didn't think they were beyond repair. Oh well, I suppose they definitely are now. Were there two masts with the Hoofer J-22s, or was it just one? 

10 hours ago, JM1366 said:

Yeah, I would think he could have come up with a better lead source than J-22s. I mean, HOW many 1970s and 1980s cruisers from the likes of O'day / Hunter / McGregor (or any of those other floating condos that look like they were run over by a reindeer) would seem to be better candidates. There are SO MANY of those things rotting in fields, and they were miserable boats to begin with. I'll bet the guy could get a few of those for FREE from someone who doesn't want to pay to landfill them

There isn't that much lead in a J22 (~700 lbs ????), and a J22 still has some usefulness and value as a boat, since the class is still pretty active.

Those old Hoofer boats were pretty rough, but I didn't think they were beyond repair. Oh well, I suppose they definitely are now. Were there two masts with the Hoofer J-22s, or was it just one? 

You nailed it on all of it.  A 1988 J22 could sell for $10k if it was in good shape but he has no idea what he has or what he did otherwise he wouldn't have sold me a mast for $100.  He had already sold the other mast off.  I'm surprised whomever bought that didn't take both but maybe they weren't putting it on a J22.  

On 9/21/2021 at 9:48 AM, WCB said:

You nailed it on all of it.  A 1988 J22 could sell for $10k if it was in good shape but he has no idea what he has or what he did otherwise he wouldn't have sold me a mast for $100.  He had already sold the other mast off.  I'm surprised whomever bought that didn't take both but maybe they weren't putting it on a J22.  

I like deals like that. I just picked up a Triad J/105 trailer that should fit my boat for an extremely reasonable price. The owner had mentioned he might have left some stuff in the trailer box and I could just keep or throw out anything in there. Found a ten man life raft, MOM8A, and a new in the box Danforth, complete with chain and rode inside!  And despite sitting abandoned for a few years, it took less than two hours to get the trailer 100% functional. Not a bad haul for 3 grand. 

D6987A31-CF4C-47A8-BEB2-5DE8A6FCBD01.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Monkey said:

I like deals like that. I just picked up a Triad J/105 trailer that should fit my boat for an extremely reasonable price. The owner had mentioned he might have left some stuff in the trailer box and I could just keep or throw out anything in there. Found a ten man life raft, MOM8A, and a new in the box Danforth, complete with chain and rode inside!  And despite sitting abandoned for a few years, it took less than two hours to get the trailer 100% functional. Not a bad haul for 3 grand. 

D6987A31-CF4C-47A8-BEB2-5DE8A6FCBD01.jpeg

Well done!  There are so many good deals out there.  

I have the rudders and the deck pieces.  I saw the mast on the Farr 30 trailer that brought it out here but I haven't picked it up yet.  The boat is booked to come out here later in October or November.  No rush as I have other projects that I need to get to first but I've been buying new sheets, control lines, halyards, Harken hardware, and a new motor mount.  Lots of fun toys.

They were lazy and unfortunately just took a sawzall to the donor boat that I got my deck pieces from.  Sad really.  I got a chunk of the deck from the companionway forward.  On the good side I now have a template for the repair of my boat and I let my son take a hole saw to the mast step area to determine the laminate.  Solid glass.

The tillers on the rudders were dark from water damage and covered in lichen.  I sanded them down, stained them, and have started to seal them with epoxy.  I don't think that I'm using either one but I want to save them for the sailing program to have.

Rudders and tillers while still in Wis.  Notice the color of the tillers to compare against the future pics.  One rudder weighs 28.2lbs w/o tiller and the other 29.4.  I'm going to weight the one that came with my boat when it gets here, out of curiosity.

rudder1.jpg

rudder2.jpg