Robert Perry 47, looking for info

Hi all,

I am looking at the Robert Perry 47 to replace my Swanson 42.

Are there any current or previous sailors of this boat who can share their opinions on its sailing abilities, in particular for a short handed or solo sailor.   Does it sail well on the foresail(s) or does it need a lot of main to keep it balanced?

I would be keen to hear opinions on the ketch vs the sloop rig if possible too.

Thank you,

Matt

For a scant $500, Mr Perry will answer your emails and phone calls on the details. A worthy service I have used myself. His web site has the particulars. He's very open about the history on his designs and where compromises were made as well as comparisons to others.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Mike Simpson said:

I own a Perry 47 and am in the aft cabin as we type. She sails into the wind well super comfy. Fast. Lots of room. Great boat!!!! Big for one person…just make friends. Life is better with friends on board. 

Hi Mike, I’ve sent you a message.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my Tayana 47, which seems to have a lot in common with the Perry 47.  Mine is a ‘91, the last year before they lengthened the transom by 1’ to make it a 48.   But mine has a short reverse transom that makes swimming and coming aboard so much easier than trying to clamber up the topsides from a bobbing dinghy. I also much prefer the shape of the cabin on the Tayana to the shape of the Perry 47, especially forward of the mast.  So, if that sort of boat is what you’re looking for and the Perry 47 doesn’t work out, you might want to take a look at a Tayana 47. 

1 hour ago, jtsailjt said:

I really like my Tayana 47, which seems to have a lot in common with the Perry 47.  Mine is a ‘91, the last year before they lengthened the transom by 1’ to make it a 48.   But mine has a short reverse transom that makes swimming and coming aboard so much easier than trying to clamber up the topsides from a bobbing dinghy. I also much prefer the shape of the cabin on the Tayana to the shape of the Perry 47, especially forward of the mast.  So, if that sort of boat is what you’re looking for and the Perry 47 doesn’t work out, you might want to take a look at a Tayana 47. 

I think maybe Perry designed a couple of the Tayanas?  I may be wrong though.

I'm here. Taking it quiet today after an email from Ron Holland this morning letting me know my old pal of 35 years, Laurie Davidson had passed. I met Laurie when he stopped by my Ballard office one day unannounced. I was working on the lines for LOON and Laurie had never seen a computer lines program in action before. He was fascinated by the process. I was working on the entry and bow sections. Laurie, looking over my shoulder said, "Are you really going to make the bow shape like that?" I replied, "I was, what would you do?" So, we sat there together playing with the bow shape until it was what you see today. LOON has a Davidson bow.

Here are some shots some of you have seen before. Laurie ley me know he was coming through Seattle and wanted to stop by the shack for a visit. I knew Ron Holland had just moved the BC and I thought it would be fun to invite Ron down for a day  with Laurie. Ron agreed. Tim O'Connell drove Ron down. I called Kim Bottles, owner of FRANKIE, and invited him and we all had a rollicking good time.

Here I am signing Laurie's copy of my book. Here I am with Laurie signing my copy of my book. Here we are eating a hearty lunch washed down by copious amounts of good wine. As Laurie drove out of my driveway later in the day he said, "I love it here. I'm coming back." But that can't happen now. I will miss Laurie. He was a remarkable man, kind, funny and generous.

Laaurie 3.jpg

Laurie 2.jpg

Laurie 3.jpg

• Like 6