Ok— being 65+ I went for a third dose of Moderna.   The pharmacist at CVS asked if I wanted the flu vaccine.  This stupid voice inside of me said “sure”.

After Moderna #2 I was laid up for 18 hours.  The double vaccine kicked my butt for 36 hours.

So, if you go for a third dose, or for those hold outs just getting the COVID vaccine, FFS don’t get the flu shot at the same time!!!

• Like 1

Almost any reaction to a vaccine is WAY better than shingles, from what I've seen. 

Getting a booster soon.  Holding off on the flu until after that settles in.  

Had absolutely no problem with either Pfizer shot.  A little tired for a day, sore shoulder for two days.  Maybe I should have hoped for a little more side effect.  

56 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

It just means it's working.:)

Second Pfizer got me for 36 hours.

But nothing was bad as the shingles vaccines. Both doses left me sick as a dog for two days each. Better than shingles, or so I'm told. 

You were told correctly. Shingles is awful. Like having a propane torch pointed at your skin awful. For a month or more. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MisterMoon said:

But nothing was bad as the shingles vaccines. Both doses left me sick as a dog for two days each. Better than shingles, or so I'm told. 

you've been told right... shingles is a mother fucker.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gptyk said:

You were told correctly. Shingles is awful. Like having a propane torch pointed at your skin awful. For a month or more. 

mine was on my forehead... felt like all my ex's were  jabbing me in the forehead with ice picks for 15 minutes every 45 minutes for about 3 months

• Like 2

Interesting, I thought  the Moderna vax didn't require a booster as there was no documented decrease in efficacy over time. Did I get that wrong? I'm coming up on 70 and a mostly  healthy hunka hunka  burnin' love.

Also, while at the local VA hospital yesterday I enquired if there was any word on this year's flu vax shots, targeted strains or timeline? All I got was a blank stare, albeit they were the aged volunteers at the front desk.

I'll be talking to my primary next week and will be sure to raise that question.

2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Shingles sucks massively. I had just a small breakout. Damn glad there is now a vaccine, and yes, it wasn't pleasant.

2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Mr Clew still remembers his second shingles shot. Not fondly.  Didn’t bother me much at all. 

Got the shingles vaccine - only had a feverlike reaction at night that ibuprofen knocked out.  I was ready for the second shot - took ibuprofen before I went to bed and had no reaction.

3 hours ago, Willin' said:

Interesting, I thought  the Moderna vax didn't require a booster as there was no documented decrease in efficacy over time. Did I get that wrong? I'm coming up on 70 and a mostly  healthy hunka hunka  burnin' love.

Also, while at the local VA hospital yesterday I enquired if there was any word on this year's flu vax shots, targeted strains or timeline? All I got was a blank stare, albeit they were the aged volunteers at the front desk.

I'll be talking to my primary next week and will be sure to raise that question.

They are applying for FDA approval for Moderna boosters after 8 months. Maybe just for older people. 

I got my flu shot a month ago. FLUZONE HIGH DOSE QUADRIVALENT. For over 65s. I am 70. It was free to me at Safeway but they may have charged my insurance.  

23 minutes ago, hobot said:

Have the Pfizer booster shots become available yet?

They have received FDA approval for 65+.  Remember, we were all getting shots without them having FDA approval.  I plan to get my Moderna booster at 8mos after my last shot no matter what the approval status.  My 92yo mother got her booster 6 weeks ago (flavor unknown).  The boosters are the same shot we received the first two times.  I turn 64 in two weeks so the 65 cutoff may end up being a stopper.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2021/09/22/covid-fda-booster-pfizer-vaccine-people-65-older-high-risk/5799348001/

5 hours ago, gptyk said:

I had a nasty rash. It went up my right shoulder, up my neck, back behind my ear to the back of my head, and then across my forehead. Dr. said "Looks like shingles, but you have no fever, and your blood work is all good"....

A couple of weeks later I went back. Same symptoms. But this time I had an answer for her. BECAUSE..... I have a memory like a steel sieve, and remembered a carpenter I worked with 35 years before with the same affliction.

"It's shingles alright" I told the Dr.. I'd been building a pair of Western red Cedar framed kayaks. And I'd developed an allergy to Cedar dust. The reason "Chicken pox" is called shingles is that it looks just like the rash that carpenters who roofed, or put up siding on houses used to get if the had the allergy. I never had it until I was 45 or so, but I'd used a lot of WRC over the course of my career.

54 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I had a nasty rash. It went up my right shoulder, up my neck, back behind my ear to the back of my head, and then across my forehead. Dr. said "Looks like shingles, but you have no fever, and your blood work is all good"....

A couple of weeks later I went back. Same symptoms. But this time I had an answer for her. BECAUSE..... I have a memory like a steel sieve, and remembered a carpenter I worked with 35 years before with the same affliction.

"It's shingles alright" I told the Dr.. I'd been building a pair of Western red Cedar framed kayaks. And I'd developed an allergy to Cedar dust. The reason "Chicken pox" is called shingles is that it looks just like the rash that carpenters who roofed, or put up siding on houses used to get if the had the allergy. I never had it until I was 45 or so, but I'd used a lot of WRC over the course of my career.

great thing to know

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

They have received FDA approval for 65+.  Remember, we were all getting shots without them having FDA approval.  I plan to get my Moderna booster at 8mos after my last shot no matter what the approval status.  My 92yo mother got her booster 6 weeks ago (flavor unknown).  The boosters are the same shot we received the first two times.  I turn 64 in two weeks so the 65 cutoff may end up being a stopper.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2021/09/22/covid-fda-booster-pfizer-vaccine-people-65-older-high-risk/5799348001/

Just turned 61 a bit ago but being immunocompromised now I'm hoping to triple lap those antivaxxers as soon as I can.

8 hours ago, gptyk said:

Shingles is fucking hideous. I got it a few years ago, started on my back and wrapped around into my groin, it was misery squared for over a month. I lived in a loose nightshirt the whole time. 

I got the shingles shot a few years ago (never wanted to face that again), didn't bother me at all. Neither did either of my Pfizer shots, or my last flu shot, or my pneumonia shot. My wife reacted to all of them.

12 hours ago, Willin' said:

Wifey is imuno-compromised, and they recommended it for her.  With that as a baseline, being over 65, and a delivery Capt who is offshore once a month for some period of time.   Although I only use vaxed crew, I can’t take a risk.  

So when the opportunity availed itself I took it.  My mistake was taking the flu at the same time.

Like Ishmael, I had shingles a long time ago, got the vaccine and had zero issues.  Same with both Pfizer covid shots and never a problem with flu shots.  My wife was in bed for 24 hours following her second shingles shot. 

12 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

"Although shingles and chickenpox are caused by the same virus, they are not the same illness. Chickenpox is usually a milder illness that affects children. Shingles results from a reactivation of the virus long after the chickenpox illness has disappeared. The chickenpox virus stays in the body even after recovery."

I post this because I have had both, they are different. 

22 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

"Although shingles and chickenpox are caused by the same virus, they are not the same illness. Chickenpox is usually a milder illness that affects children. Shingles results from a reactivation of the virus long after the chickenpox illness has disappeared. The chickenpox virus stays in the body even after recovery."

they certainly are.

20 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Do you have underlying conditions that make you high risk? That counts 18+  https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-authorizes-booster-dose-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-certain-populations

18 hours ago, hobot said:

Just turned 61 a bit ago but being immunocompromised now I'm hoping to triple lap those antivaxxers as soon as I can.

Can't remember where you live. In US you hit the trifecta now! Go get yours before people start lining up.

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

No, but I was a teacher and still have a picture ID that I could probably talk my way into a shot.  That goes against my sense of right and I hope the qualifying age drops before it's an issue.

• Like 1

I will get a letter from a doctor based upon my relationship to her patient.  My daughter will get a letter from her doctor based upon her condition.

Thru hulls aren't important until they fail.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Sorry.  I think they are the same virus, but in different stages of life.

"Shingles is a viral infection that can cause a painful rash. Shingles is caused by the herpes zoster virus—the same virus that causes chickenpox. The virus stays inactive in the body for life and can reactivate years, or even decades later, causing shingles. About 98% of US adults have had chickenpox and are at risk for shingles.

The chance of getting shingles increases with age, which is why shingles vaccination is recommended for all healthy adults age 50 years and older. Children can get shingles, but it is not common."

https://www.nfid.org/infectious-diseases/shingles/

AND I apologize again. I think we're saying the same thing but kind of cross posting, or I'm just being dense after a particularly long day.

15 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Sorry.  I think they are the same virus, but in different stages of life.

"Shingles is a viral infection that can cause a painful rash. Shingles is caused by the herpes zoster virus—the same virus that causes chickenpox. The virus stays inactive in the body for life and can reactivate years, or even decades later, causing shingles. About 98% of US adults have had chickenpox and are at risk for shingles.

The chance of getting shingles increases with age, which is why shingles vaccination is recommended for all healthy adults age 50 years and older. Children can get shingles, but it is not common."

https://www.nfid.org/infectious-diseases/shingles/

AND I apologize again. I think we're saying the same thing but kind of cross posting, or I'm just being dense after a particularly long day.

No worries ... 

They are caused by the same virus, but very different symptoms. Adults who had chicken pox as a child are more susceptible, as the virus remains present in their system for life. Certain conditions, such as stress from life events or physical trauma can activate it in adulthood. It is not contagious in the same manner that chicken pox is. Exposure to fluids oozing from sores is the primary means of transmission of shingles. Chicken pox is transmissable via may of the same means as flu, the cold, and other childhood diseases. 

The other weird shit about shingles is recurrences often don't manifest in any actual lesions but the nerve endings in previously effected areas light up as if they have. 

No, I'm not a doctor, just a victim of both of these, and as such have had a lot of it explained to me by physicians and gathered what information I could from a plethora of sources, but I wouldn't claim to have researched it by scientific standards.  ;)

in related news ... May be an image of text

I'm aghast , down under we are asked if we've had any other shot in the preceding 14 days and if the answer should be yes the it's come back later .

we are specifically told that we can not combine covid n flu shots .

Ok then don't.  You aren't as desperate to save lives there. You want freedom, but don't have thousands a week DYING. It's risk reward.  Avoiding lower risks is a luxury.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-know-about-coadministration-flu-and-covid-19-vaccines

Plus AstraZenica advice may differ, doesn't come up here. 

5 hours ago, Mid said:

I'm aghast , down under we are asked if we've had any other shot in the preceding 14 days and if the answer should be yes the it's come back later .

we are specifically told that we can not combine covid n flu shots .

JAB is the New GOD

Do Not Question any aspect or you shall Burn in HELL

everywhere is Different but Whatever is said including "Get The JAB" is Gospal

No credit for recovering from Covid ........ that's worshiping a False GOD

Funny how the ANTI KRIST ... Worship The JAB for the same reasons others follow GOD Blindly

wait till people refer to time as

BJ = Before JAB

and AJ = After JAB

10 years down the road:

Did your Kin/Loved-Ones get The JAB and a Booster JAB

You may be entitled to Survivor's Compensation of a Billion or more (minimum wage $ 250hr so not really that much)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2
44 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

JAB is the New GOD

Funny how the ANTI KRIST ... Worship The JAB for the same reasons others follow GOD Blindly

BJ = Before JAB

and AJ = After JAB

10 years down the road:

You may be entitled to Survivor's Compensation of a Billion or more (minimum wage $ 250hr so not really that much)

sure thing Chicken Little.

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:

JAB is the New GOD

BJ = Before JAB

and AJ = After JAB

10 years down the road:

th.jpg

• Like 4

If you have had covid your natural immunity is to be worshipped, be sure not to offend your spiky god by getting a flu shot or it will abandon you. Thus sayeth the QPriest.

--seen somewhere I'm sure

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58628689?xtor=AL-72-[partner]-[bbc.news.twitter]-[headline]-[news]-[bizdev]-[isapi]&at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custom3=%40BBCWorld&at_custom4=E8C39EE6-1B83-11EC-96DF-8E014844363C&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_custom2=twitter

Minor side effects have been reported in some cases. If biting, spitting occurs, or if you develop a luxurious soft furry pelt, consult your physician. 

Covid: Immune therapy from llamas shows promise

Fifi the 'Franklin llama' lives at a farm facility at the University of ReadingIMAGE SOURCE,UNIVERSITY OF READING
image captionFifi the 'Franklin llama' lives at a farm facility at the University of Reading

A Covid therapy derived from a llama named Fifi has shown "significant potential" in early trials.

It is a treatment made of "nanobodies", small, simpler versions of antibodies, which llamas and camels produce naturally in response to infection.

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Screaming.....  Does Woody watch Fox and Friends or Newsmax?

1 hour ago, IStream said:

Yes.

No I can't watch Any TV be it news, talks how's or late-night 

All Agenda Biased L or R

I don't drink anyone's KoolAids

It's like the weather

Chanel 

I prefer Keeping an Open Mind 

Subject to change

5 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

JAB is the New GOD

BJ = Before JAB

and AJ = After JAB

10 years down the road:

I prefer a BJ to an AJ..... (Sorry Mr. Oliver)....

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

No I can't watch Any TV be it news, talks how's or late-night 

All Agenda Biased L or R

I don't drink anyone's KoolAids

It's like the weather

Chanel 

I prefer Keeping an Open Mind 

Subject to change

You are without a doubt the single most annoying poster on this site. It is virtually impossible to understand a single thing you say. You must have eaten a lot of the brown acid. 

20 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

...virtually impossible to understand a single thing you say.

He doesn't seem malevolent, so he's got that going for him.

I kinda like the enigma.

27 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

You are without a doubt the single most annoying poster on this site. It is virtually impossible to understand a single thing you say. You must have eaten a lot of the brown acid. 

Other psychoactive chemicals can also do that, like mushrooms....

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Or hydroxycloriquine..... Maybe..... Or maybe it's Aderall..... Or genetics.....

2 hours ago, sunseeker said:

You are without a doubt the single most ............................................................................................................

have I ever called you or anyone else here any names ??

have I ever told you or anyone else here what to do ??

have I ever told you or anyone else here what to think ?

has no one explained to you the ignore feature

as a local you could have expressed your opinion in person but have only posted that you have seen me here and there

puts you a notch below those saying That's Why I have him on Ignore

rather than ignoring

have I not givin you the attention you needed ??

Stalk Much ???

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Acid + PCP + random household chemicals like Comet and Spray Nine. I spent a lot of time on the first two (with ether, rum, mescaline, opium, and random pills and powders) in the mix, and I'm still far more coherent than the Woodster. Usually.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Acid + PCP + random household chemicals like Comet and Spray Nine. I spent a lot of time on the first two (with ether, rum, mescaline, opium, and random pills and powders) in the mix, and I'm still far more coherent than the Woodster. Usually.

44,774 posts

ya you are livin the life

59 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Or hydroxycloriquine..... Maybe..... Or maybe it's Aderall..... Or genetics.....

Missus BB, SWMBO is taking Hydroxyclorquine for her arthritis, and it helps a lot.  I need to see the Doc soon about my knees.....

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Missus BB, SWMBO is taking Hydroxyclorquine for her arthritis, and it helps a lot.  I need to see the Doc soon about my knees.....

Try Simple Green.

absinthe-jacques-senaux-green-1296559.jp

20 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

have I ever called you or anyone else here any names ??

have I ever told you or anyone else here what to do ??

have I ever told you or anyone else here what to think ?

has no one explained to you the ignore feature

as a local you could have expressed your opinion in person but have only posted that you have seen me here and there

puts you a notch below those saying That's Why I have him on Ignore

rather than ignoring

have I not givin you the attention you needed ??

Stalk Much ???

It’s hardly stalking when replying to a forum post.

You say you aren’t telling anyone what to do. The fuck you aren’t.

You are casting doubt on a vaccine that has been administered literally billions of times, with absolutely clear benefit.

Your post does nothing to help end the pandemic, though that said, it’s probably safe to say no one is going to take your advice, simply because you can’t express thoughts in clear, concise English.

• Like 3
On 9/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, sunseeker said:

It’s hardly stalking when replying to a forum post.

saying you know/see someone around in real life and belittling them online as anonymous = stalking

You say you aren’t telling anyone what to do. The fuck you aren’t.

What exactly have I told you or anyone else to do ??

You are casting doubt on a vaccine that has been administered literally billions of times, with absolutely clear benefit.

casting doubt ?? ........ I have doubt about Both sides and would like to learn whatever truth can be learned

Your post does nothing to help end the pandemic, though that said, it’s probably safe to say no one is going to take your advice, simply because you can’t express thoughts in clear, concise English.

yet you believe you understand exactly what I say enough to correct/chastise me on each word

Richard P. Feynman quote: I would rather have questions that can't be  answered than...