ATLANTIC CROSSING we are in Cape Verde going to BRAZIL

ATLANTIC CROSSING we are in Cape Verde going to BRAZIL and or Caribbean Puerto Rico.
Duration: Ongoing - crossing 6-8 weeks
So a new adventure begins, but the desire remains the same: to explore places not yet discovered by mass tourism, where it is possible to establish genuine relationships with the people on board, allowing our gaze to turn to other cultures and enrich our own. The crew is usually formed by persons of different nationalities and different backgrounds. The sensation of freedom that you feel on the ship is more unique than rare. This place will become your home and the bond created and developed between the crew is an unforgettable life experience. A challenging experience that will take you beyond your "comfort zone".

We will work together to bring the Labora to the other side of the ocean. This means that this is not a typical cruise where you can lay back and relax. This is for the hard worker amongst us, who is eager to learn. After we reach the shore of BRAZIL IF OPEN or the Caribbean you will have grown into an experienced sailor, who knows the secrets of the ocean and will dream about the creaking of an old wooden boat for a long time to come. Once we get there you can decide for yourself whether you will join us on the expedition through the Amazon, or you follow your own path. It's up to you to decide how to live and which wind to follow!
Price: 2,000€

The Labora project is non-profit and relies exclusively on its members' contributions, without any institutional support. This guarantees its freedom and independence. Since its beginning, a large community of people from all horizons has thus formed, bringing their energy, work, material support, skills, ideas, and dreams to this project.

logo 3.jpg

81548138_2605349043038508_4922490424859295744_n.jpg

2233.jpg

118516280_2812184685688275_5286641841089199489_o.jpg

72884188_1406593379506081_3574302570056777728_n.jpg

DSCF4580-copy.thumb.jpg.933772bdacb3c4887246c6c133b32fd0.jpg

Props to them. I can't believe they actually pulled that off.

I've seen a bunch of those sort of proposals over the years and I'm pretty sure this is the only one that got anywhere.

A much better way than a communal farm to be a hippy .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

I don't have a man bun. Will I be welcome?

It looks you need man bun AND beard AND tattoos AND silly shorts.  Probably piercings too.

It all looks like a drink-out-of-jamjars-and-eat-off-slates setup.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Props to them. I can't believe they actually pulled that off.

I've seen a bunch of those sort of proposals over the years and I'm pretty sure this is the only one that got anywhere.

A much better way than a communal farm to be a hippy .

Whatever happened to those folks who built that aluminum Colin Archer?

34 minutes ago, valcour said:

That was a quite different proposition IMO.

2 hours ago, valcour said:

Here's the last page of Zeyang's thread. They went sailing, then returned to make it perfect. No news since.

Are you traveling to raise awareness for something?  Because I'm not aware of anything. I mean awareness wise.  Other than yearning for a creaky ship.  Or something like that.  

Did you ask your mom if you could go?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dogscout said:

Are you traveling to raise awareness for something?  Because I'm not aware of anything.

Maybe someone could send them a Vets for Pees flag. Then they could raise awareness about incontinent pets.

Or something.

FKT

• Like 2

I'll bet a lot of Vets for Poontang, of which I am a charter member, fit right in here. My long long braid got a little ... thin, awhile back so it had to go but I am considering two tattoos: Joe Pike Red RECON! arrows. I've been considering them since the The Watchman was published (and I say published as in a genuinely peer-viewed way by the NYT, Chicago Sun Sentinel and like that -- not some midwest basement blog) in 2007 ...  and so it's really on the starboard burner, the unused one, of my Origo 3000. My several previous piercings are strictly one way. 

I wouldn't pay to go but might accept a harpooner post. 

12 hours ago, TwoLegged said:
14 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

It looks you need man bun AND beard AND tattoos AND silly shorts.  Probably piercings too.

It all looks like a drink-out-of-jamjars-and-eat-off-slates setup.

And flip-flops. Don't forget the flip-flops.

Foot injury looking for the next victim.

- DSK

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

One early reason that I believed in El Mariachi is that he used the term "go heads" which was the early term for flip flops. Most of us moved on from the '50s and '60s , but not Rick. I tried calling him last night but got his usual recorded message: "Senor Mariachi is currently busy fucking the snot out of a 30-something desperately down-on-her-luck divorcee. He would appreciate you not leaving a message ... cuz he has had enough criticism already. Y Gracias."

7 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

One early reason that I believed in El Mariachi is that he used the term "go heads" which was the early term for flip flops. Most of us moved on from the '50s and '60s , but not Rick. I tried calling him last night but got his usual recorded message: "Senor Mariachi is currently busy fucking the snot out of a 30-something desperately down-on-her-luck divorcee. He would appreciate you not leaving a message ... cuz he has had enough criticism already. Y Gracias."

This is a top discussion thread.  Here’s my contribution about the origin of the various names of flip flops.

28 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

This is a top discussion thread.  Here’s my contribution about the origin of the various names of flip flops.

Excellent! I've taken the liberty of quoting this as an early denizen of Redondo Beach ... I was born there so I got there as early as I could! : Lisa Youngborg said the kids in Pacific Palisades, where my wife spent her early years, may have worn zories, but the beach crowd of Redondo Beach wore “go-aheads.”

thank you sailing anarchy, I made a bet that I would post this here and would get 95% negative dumb replies, so 50 bucks in my pocket. this is the only website I have come across, that has this many mental health issues, please get out of your man caves turn off  CNN news wipe off the drool dribble down your chin, and go out into the sun and fresh air, have someone take you out boating you may find it fun and good for your mind.  when you want to be sailors would like to learn sailing look me up.

SDSDDD.jpg

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, takudave said:

thank you sailing anarchy, I made a bet that I would post this here and would get 95% negative dumb replies, so 50 bucks in my pocket. this is the only website I have come across, that has this many mental health issues, please get out of your man caves turn off  CNN news wipe off the drool dribble down your chin, and go out into the sun and fresh air, have someone take you out boating you may find it fun and good for your mind.  when you want to be sailors would like to learn sailing look me up.

SDSDDD.jpg

Oh look, it's Mr I'm-Still-a-Teenager wanting rich friends to help him play pirate.

OK everybody here who has never sailed their own boat across a major body of water, without begging for money on the internet, raise your hands....

- DSK

• Like 5

I already know how to sail. I also view spending 2000 Euros on my own boat as a much better use of my money than giving it to an aging "bro brah" with insecurity issues. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, takudave said:

SDSDDD.jpg

You're so brilliant.   We own our own boats, don't need someone else's to sail.  Many of us have been wandering the world since you were shiting green.  You came to the wrong place for asking for others money.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, takudave said:

thank you sailing anarchy, I made a bet that I would post this here and would get 95% negative dumb replies

You're very welcome, Dave.  It's all part of the service.  And it's free!

Now, do you want to explain why Mister Cool Dave is a) posing with a skateboard like a teenager, and b) posing outside ALDI?

(For the benefit of transpondians, ALDI is one of two super-cheap trans-European supermarket chains which are subsidised by the European Union to sell cheap food to proles. I like shopping there, but cool it ain't).

Just now, TwoLegged said:

Now, do you want to explain why Mister Cool Dave is a) posing with a skateboard like a teenager, and b) posing outside ALDI?

(For the benefit of transpondians, ALDI is one of two super-cheap trans-European supermarket chains which are subsidised by the European Union to sell cheap food to proles. I like shopping there, but cool it ain't).

Just now, TwoLegged said:

I have never been inside an ALDIs sitting on the corner waiting for a taxi after searching all day for boat parts. if you know me this photo is BS. lol

45 minutes ago, takudave said:

I have never been inside an ALDIs sitting on the corner waiting for a taxi after searching all day for boat parts. if you know me this photo is BS. lol

No, we don't know you here.  We just know that the photo of you outside ALDI is part of how you chose to introduce yourself here.

So of course we have responded to what you have chosen to tell us about yourself, which is mostly that you appear to be an eejit hanging out with hipster posers.  If that's not actually who you are, then blame yourself for depicting yourself that way.

I hope that on your boat you take more responsibility for your own actions.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, TwoLegged said:
22 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Dogs 2.jpg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, takudave said:

SDSDDD.jpg

Apparently you have not paid enough attention to figure out how many members here have one or more circumnavigations to their credit.

Or race wins.

Or boat restorations.

Or cruising miles.

Or...

But you go right on being a superannuated hipster feeling superior because you managed to get a bunch of quasi-hippy dreamers to prop up your sailing ambitions.

• Like 3

As I said, he & AJ Oliver would get along just fine.

Well, right up to the first disagreement anyway. Then there'd have to be a kumbaya circle with everyone holding hands, Captain Dave gets his way, and AJ white-ants the decision while surreptitiously sabotaging the vessel.

It'd make a great movie, as long as I wasn't aboard.

FKT

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently you have not paid enough attention to figure out how many members here have one or more circumnavigations to their credit.

Or race wins.

Or boat restorations.

Or cruising miles.

Or...

But you go right on being a superannuated hipster feeling superior because you managed to get a bunch of quasi-hippy dreamers to prop up your sailing ambitions.

There must be a couple thousand... I'd bet more... SA'ers who can sail TakkyDave's boat better than he can; hell I've sailed a couple of real square riggers myself although my taste runs more to either gaff schooners or racing sloops.

Imagine Cap'n GreyPonyTail plunked down in a 420 or even a 1/4 Tonner... the result might be amusing but it almost certainly would not be a sailing lesson.

- DSK

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

There must be a couple thousand... I'd bet more... SA'ers who can sail TakkyDave's boat better than he can; hell I've sailed a couple of real square riggers myself although my taste runs more to either gaff schooners or racing sloops.

One of my old shipmates sails a 30' square-rigger singlehanded.

Be interesting to see TakkyDave sail my junk rigged schooner.

FKT

• Like 1

Well in 2 years he's managed to motor from the Netherlands down to Cape Verde, Conex boxes washed off ships have made better time.  But now he's off to Brazil.  Or the Caribbean, or Puerto Rico.  Maybe.  Better get that $2k in fast to reserve a slot.

And I say motor, seeing as there isn't a single pic of that barge with the sails up.

19 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Here's the last page of Zeyang's thread. They went sailing, then returned to make it perfect. No news since.

anyone heard from Zeyang Lin since 2019?

10 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Well in 2 years he's managed to motor from the Netherlands down to Cape Verde, Conex boxes washed off ships have made better time.  But now he's off to Brazil.  Or the Caribbean, or Puerto Rico.  Maybe. 

Obviously Dave's a big water guy like that other guy happy to say he made a landfall once he finds out where he is.

20 hours ago, takudave said:

Go buy an ad. G.zeus

On 9/24/2021 at 4:01 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Maybe someone could send them a Vets for Pees flag. Then they could raise awareness about incontinent pets.

Or something.

FKT

You are one of the anonymous who hide behind your avatar!

Expose yourself and denounce your past non-extreme ways!!!

Oh wait, you built your own sailboat with your own machine shop and shed. Carry on.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:19 AM, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

I did foredeck on a 5.5 last weekend in flip flops. Going into the swells in 18 knots and did a headsail change from Genoa to jib. 

Pony tail but no man bun, piercings or tattoos. 

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I did foredeck on a 5.5 last weekend in flip flops. Going into the swells in 18 knots and did a headsail change from Genoa to jib. 

Pony tail but no man bun, piercings or tattoos. 

Yeah but you're cool enough in general, with both sailing and guitar cred, to get a pass.

FB- Doug

11 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Is that a Texas hook'em horns sign or have I fallen even further behind the cool kids? I am familiar with the other gesture.

I believe hook’em horns is made with the index finger and little finger.

1 minute ago, accnick said:

I believe hook’em horns is made with the thumb and little finger.

But I could be wrong.

The sign he's making is "I glued my fingers to my palm with 5200".

1 hour ago, accnick said:

I was originally wrong on the hook’em gesture. Haven’t lived in Texas for a long time.

Yep. Long beach state, UT, and Miami grad here. I knew it wasn't hook em but was playing to the crowd.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

:D

6CA2738B-4399-4D19-AE4B-E5726CF106C8.jpeg

My mental image of @Sail4beer is of a grizzled, earthy high-skilled craftsman with a laconic demeanour which obscures full view of his talents and insights.  A thinker with a chisel.

This pic of 4beer as an elegant rock god seriously unsettles my mental image.  So I hereby pronounce it as a fake :D 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

My mental image of @Sail4beer is of a grizzled, earthy high-skilled craftsman with a laconic demeanour which obscures full view of his talents and insights.  A thinker with a chisel.

This pic of 4beer as an elegant rock god seriously unsettles my mental image.  So I hereby pronounce it as a fake :D 

Nah, don't worry about it. Chiseled, maybe, but rock gods play an Explorer or an SG.

- DSK

• Like 1

I thought he was missing a couple of fingers from his left hand, perhaps caught them in a self tailing winch but kept grinding with the right hand.

Yeah, go ahead. You blame Texas for everything else, why not pin this guy to us, too? S'ok, glad to be a scapegoat so long as we get the pretty women and the good blues.

I’m in this pic somewhere, taken Thursday.

8D21115B-5890-49F1-BEBC-5B561BA4E9E4.thumb.jpeg.23d815053f9c7b20b9163c7d64e53bbd.jpeg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Nah, don't worry about it. Chiseled, maybe, but rock gods play an Explorer or an SG.

- DSK

Now wait a minute, I play an ES-335. Are you telling me I can’t be a rock god?

All this time, I thought it was just my playing holding me back.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I thought he was missing a couple of fingers from his left hand, perhaps caught them in a self tailing winch but kept grinding with the right hand.

Yeah, go ahead. You blame Texas for everything else, why not pin this guy to us, too? S'ok, glad to be a scapegoat so long as we get the pretty women and the good blues.

I’m in this pic somewhere, taken Thursday.

8D21115B-5890-49F1-BEBC-5B561BA4E9E4.thumb.jpeg.23d815053f9c7b20b9163c7d64e53bbd.jpeg

You the Les Paul lefty?

14 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Gotta be on the right. You need a wardrobe person/stylist. 

I do. No sense of style at all. To be fair I had gotten up at 5, driven 160 miles, worked on an oil well for 10 hours, drove 160 miiles back with no time to change, had my wife meet me at the venue with a guitar and started playing 3 minutes after I got out of the car.

13 minutes ago, accnick said:

You the Les Paul lefty?

Yeah, it's an R9. I gave my SG to Sail4beer some years ago. 

• Like 1

Seriously, 6-8 weeks for an Atlantic crossing on the barefeet route means you might neither have to motor nor sail. The current and the trade winds in the bare rig will be enough to get you there. (Not necessarily bow forward but who cares, arr? Port if call is “somewhere between Brazil and Puerto Rico”:lol:.)

The interesting part will be bringing that colander out of the region before hurricane season kicks in. Shit, I think there’s no way she will make it back to Europe in one piece. So good luck motherfucker and have fun in the mangroves! 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Seriously, 6-8 weeks for an Atlantic crossing on the barefeet route means you might neither have to motor nor sail. The current and the trade winds in the bare rig will be enough to get you there. (Not necessarily bow forward but who cares, arr? Port if call is “somewhere between Brazil and Puerto Rico”:lol:.)

The interesting part will be bringing that colander out of the region before hurricane season kicks in. Shit, I think there’s no way she will make it back to Europe in one piece. So good luck motherfucker and have fun in the mangroves! 

^ my vote ^ for the most cruel post yet.

- DSK

• Like 1
1 hour ago, accnick said:

Now wait a minute, I play an ES-335. Are you telling me I can’t be a rock god?

All this time, I thought it was just my playing holding me back.

Get a Tube Screamer and you'll be OK.

I play an ES-335.

FB- Doug

22 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Get a Tube Screamer and you'll be OK.

I play an ES-335.

FB- Doug

I just have a little Champ 600. My ES is a ‘59 Historic.

I’m really an acoustic player, but keep the 335 to reinforce my self-delusions of past grandeur.

1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

Some of the guys who row across the Atlantic from the Canaries to Antigua do it in 6 to 8 weeks (sometimes less). Of course the vessel discussed here would need very long oars.

5 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Some of the guys who row across the Atlantic from the Canaries to Antigua do it in 6 to 8 weeks (sometimes less). Of course the vessel discussed here would need very long oars.

Someone here called it “assisted drifting”. I think that is way too harsh, but it is telling that nobody so far rowed the pond from west to east. 
(Friends if mine were there when the Antiguan girls team finished. They said that party will be remembered for decades.) 

1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

I think that is way too harsh, but it is telling that nobody so far rowed the pond from west to east. 

Well, except the first 3 to do it, the first of them over 100 years ago

3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I do. No sense of style at all. To be fair I had gotten up at 5, driven 160 miles, worked on an oil well for 10 hours, drove 160 miiles back with no time to change, had my wife meet me at the venue with a guitar and started playing 3 minutes after I got out of the car.

Yeah, it's an R9. I gave my SG to Sail4beer some years ago. 

Couldn’t get the hang of playing left hand and I gave it to a young guy coming up the line. I’m still very grateful for the gift. It’s a solid guitar to say the least and he plays it at another level. 
Now I play a ‘79 Les Paul like the one below, just a lot more weathered 

F6F0075F-4AAA-4D36-83E7-E0FE3D52B310.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Couldn’t get the hang of playing left hand and I gave it to a young guy coming up the line. I’m still very grateful for the gift. It’s a solid guitar to say the least and he plays it at another level. 

I was wondering if you’d gone reverse Jimi Hendrix with the lefty SG.

I tried to give it a good go when CL sent it, but I was injured a few weeks after and hurt my right shoulder pretty bad for a year as a result. It was nice to see someone else enjoy it though!

38 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I tried to give it a good go when CL sent it, but I was injured a few weeks after and hurt my right shoulder pretty bad for a year as a result. It was nice to see someone else enjoy it though!

If I had known that, i would not have been riding your ass about how much cooler you'd look playing the SG. Sorry!

Hope your shoulder has made a good recovery, I know you need it

- DSK

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

If I had known that, i would not have been riding your ass about how much cooler you'd look playing the SG. Sorry!

Hope your shoulder has made a good recovery, I know you need it

- DSK

Yeah so he switched shoulders and got the ultimate heavyweight guitar.

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I've never seen one under 10#, but they are tone beasts. My R9 is under 8-1/2 lbs. Weathered is the same as experienced. Love the wine red.

Really glad you passed the SG to someone who will play it. I have a gorgeous Colling I-35 DeLuxe with a caramel quilted maple top and underwound Lollar Imperial pickups on consignment just because I don't have time to give it any love. 

3 hours ago, accnick said:

I just have a little Champ 600. My ES is a ‘59 Historic.

I’m really an acoustic player, but keep the 335 to reinforce my self-delusions of past grandeur.

Ooooh, nice guitar. I have a tweed champ, was just playing it in the kitchen today. Great size with great tones. 

I think I'm going back to Maine midweek for a few final sailing days. Are you still north?

• Like 1

No problem here! Shoulder is back, stronger than before and I can heft the Les Paul, just couldn’t get the right arm  to extend for a while, which is necessary for obvious reasons…

CL, that LP is a workout, but the tone makes you want a loud amp and a soft touch. The exact opposite of my brother’s 335 which I learned to play on when he was out for the weekend.

That Collings is going to make someone very happy

9 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Yeah so he switched shoulders and got the ultimate heavyweight guitar.

I've never seen one under 10#, but they are tone beasts. My R9 is under 8-1/2 lbs. Weathered is the same as experienced. Love the wine red.

Really glad you passed the SG to someone who will play it. I have a gorgeous Colling I-35 DeLuxe with a caramel quilted maple top and underwound Lollar Imperial pickups on consignment just because I don't have time to give it any love. 

Ooooh, nice guitar. I have a tweed champ, was just playing it in the kitchen today. Great size with great tones. 

I think I'm going back to Maine midweek for a few final sailing days. Are you still north?

Sitting at Billings Diesel in Stonington waiting for a fuel injector re-seating and recalibration. Been here for five days, waiting. The lobstermen have priority over pleasure boats.

Pretty much headed for the boatyard to haul when/if these guys get to us.

Having 420 hp on tap doesn’t help much if you can’t access it.

Things were a lot simpler when I had sailboats.

15 minutes ago, accnick said:

Sitting at Billings Diesel in Stonington waiting for a fuel injector re-seating and recalibration. Been here for five days, waiting. The lobstermen have priority over pleasure boats.

Pretty much headed for the boatyard to haul when/if these guys get to us.

Having 420 hp on tap doesn’t help much if you can’t access it.

Things were a lot simpler when I had sailboats.

You have a good boat for this weather. It rained so hard last night the sound woke me up in our old house. Is it Greg you deal with at Billings? He helped us with a transmission rebuild. I've only been to billings over the road, never been to the docks.