Luiz Kahl passed aka Yacht Scoring

Was just hanging out with him a few weeks ago. Lotsa fond memories of working together at Bayview YC. Greatly enjoyed his Monday evening Zoom chats during the early Covid days. His perpetual smile and eagerness to serve others made the sport a much better place. Fair winds my friend!!

• Like 2

Oh my .. friend to all, mentor to many; always a smile and cheery grin to share. Gone much too soon.  Fair winds, my friend. 

• Like 3

This is a huge loss for everyone who knew him, which means thousands of people, because there probably isn’t another human who has been to as many regattas, or otherwise helped with them over the last 15 years or so as LZ. 

It’s also a huge loss for the administration of the sport, because yachtscoring is the gold standard. Every other scoring program simply sucks by comparison.

• Like 2

I met and talked to him for quite a while just this past Monday.  We were packing up a boat for shipment, and he was working on a club boat next to us.  When he finished his chores, he lent us a hand & spent a while just visiting.  It was the only time I had the honor of talking with him.  Seemed like a wonderful guy.  

• Like 1

I have the pleasure and now pain in saying that Luiz is a friend. We spent the day at BYC telling stories, sheading some tears and plenty of toasting him. Visitation Thursday, Memorial on Friday at BYC, more to come later... See you on the other side my friend ... Love Fins.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, FINS said:

I have the pleasure and now pain in saying that Luiz is a friend. We spent the day at BYC telling stories, sheading some tears and plenty of toasting him. Visitation Thursday, Memorial on Friday at BYC, more to come later... See you on the other side my friend ... Love Fins.

Very sorry for your loss, FINS.

Any very sorry to all Mr. Kahl's friends and family.  Sounds like a truly great man and important figure in the history of the game w/ his yacht scoring. RIP.

Fair Winds,

M

The man exuded happiness, positivity and always had a willingness to lend his expertise. I came away from our conversations bouncing with energy. It is just the way he made you feel no matter what subject we were talking about. This is a huge loss for our sport. Sincere condolences to his friends and family from the Michaelsen's. Fair winds my friend. 

• Like 3

Sometimes it is not until people are suddenly gone, gone young or both that you know how special they were to so many.  You will never find a person who will knew him that will say anything but kind words about him.  Not just the sailing world but the world in general needs more people like him.  RIP Luiz.

• Like 5

So sad to hear this. He was true gentleman and friend.

Glad to have known him and had many laughs with him

Far winds, my friend 

• Like 1

Huge bummer, and a great innovator and promoter of the sport.  

Did anyone else work at yachtscoring?  Hopefully the site will continue.  By far the best of the regatta management sites out there.  

5 minutes ago, SW Dropout said:

<snip>

Did anyone else work at yachtscoring?  Hopefully the site will continue.  By far the best of the regatta management sites out there.  

If you watch the You tube video that FINS post he was asked how many employees he had.  Luiz's response was three - "Me, myself and I"

The sport already lost Luiz - that is bad enough.  Loss would be even greater if Yachtscoring did not continue.   

10 minutes ago, SW Dropout said:

Huge bummer, and a great innovator and promoter of the sport.  

Yachtscoring was just Luiz.  There is no shortage of people who want to keep it going, but in life or more specifically death things can be more complicated.  I am optimistic that in this case his digital legacy will prevail

I met Luiz when he first moved to Detroit, or possibly before, when he was in Toledo...we go back many years. Always a class act, always a gentlemen, and an unmatched supporter of our sport. We had a lot of adventures over the years, and back in the day, was the best wing man ever.

Rest well, my friend. You are loved and missed.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, glexpress said:

Yachtscoring was just Luiz.  There is no shortage of people who want to keep it going, but in life or more specifically death things can be more complicated.  I am optimistic that in this case his digital legacy will prevail

Luiz was a wonderful supporter of the Viper class. He launched Yachtscoring in the same year that we relaunched the class.  We were an early adopter because he was so kind and helpful, and always seeking feedback on how he could make YS more user friendly.   I am astonished and sad to hear of his passing. He struck me as having the energy and and lack of stress of someone who was going to live a long life.  So sorry.

I also wonder what happens to the existing events registered on YS. Hopefully the site is left on for scoring and the entry fees are recoverable. 

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Luiz was a wonderful supporter of the Viper class. He launched Yachtscoring in the same year that we relaunched the class.  We were an early adopter because he was so kind and helpful, and always seeking feedback on how he could make YS more user friendly.   I am astonished and sad to hear of his passing. He struck me as having the energy and and lack of stress of someone who was going to live a long life.  So sorry.

I also wonder what happens to the existing events registered on YS. Hopefully the site is left on for scoring and the entry fees are recoverable. 

Well said, this is truly a case of the good dying young.

What I'll say about YS is that a friend, sailor and IT professional is handling YS for the interim.  We can leave it at that and the thread should be about Luiz and his life well lived.

• Like 4

The passing of Luiz is a great loss to the sailing community.  I did not know him personally but had the opportunity to speak with him on the phone a few times when I was organizing regattas.  He was always very helpful.  Later on I developed my Crew Manager app and traded some ideas with him. We were always planning to have a follow-on discussion on how we could help each other and swap ideas, but unfortunately it never occurred.

Condolences to Luiz's family and friends. I am grateful for all he has done for the sailing community.

• Like 1

I met Luis at Key West in 2004. I was (and still am) a complete nobody in the world of sailing compared to him but he took the time to explain YS to me. Since I am also an App/Dev database guy, I could really appreciate what he built.

Flash forward to 2021, and I can not tell you how many times I have talked to developers about what a great app Yacht Scoring is. I tell them it was built by an actual sailor who also has such great relationships that he was able to build out all the “use cases”.  

• Like 1

oh man, that just sucks. 

Fair winds mate!

Met Luiz at the Detroit NOODs around 20yrs ago.  As Sail Fleet captain of the BCYC, the conversations we had will never be forgotten... Bringing in yacht scoring into our program made an everlasting impact on our events and I like to think it gave confidence to our beer can racers to enter other regattas as well.  

Chatted with him at Ugotta this year and man... I'm having flash backs of having beers with the wingnuts crew before the '11 Mac.

Thank you, Luiz and your time you shared will live with me forever.

Fair winds.

• Like 2

Here's an update from the Kahl family regarding YachtScoring, from Facebook:

Dear Yacht Scoring Friends-
As we navigate the tremendous sadness and difficulty of losing a much-beloved brother, son, and friend, we want to take this opportunity to assure you of our personal commitment and interest in keeping Luiz’s legacy and passion, Yacht Scoring, alive and thriving. This is what he would have wanted and what we will continue to work hard to make a reality.
We are making the needed arrangements to keep Yacht Scoring fully operational with the exception of providing his personal support at or during the events.
We appreciate your understanding and patience as we do our best to keep you informed and his dream alive.
Thank you,
The Kahl Family
  • Like 4

Please join the link below for a livestream on Luiz's Funeral Mass on Friday, October 1 at 12 Noon. [Presuming Eastern Time]
https://fb.me/e/4KPOLq5dA

The link below is for the livestream of the Celebration of Life at Bayview Yacht Club Friday, October 1 from 3pm - 7pm [Presuming Eastern Time]
https://fb.me/e/I5n6rz6D

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, PeterHuston said:

For those who want to celebrate LZ in abstentia during the Bayview memorial and aren't familiar with their go-to drink, here's the recipe for a Hummer.

https://www.hourdetroit.com/restaurants-food/drink-recipe-the-hummer/

Thank you Peter but for tomorrow we will be drinking but one drink, Luiz's drink, Rum and Coke.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, FINS said:

Thank you Peter but for tomorrow we will be drinking but one drink, Luiz's drink, Rum and Coke.

Which, if served as Bayview does, only needs a splash of coke.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, FINS said:

So true about his rum and cokes.

About 10 years ago I was in Birmingham, my mother was born there and I still have family there.  LZ took me to dinner at some Brazilian/Portuguese place.  He basically ordered the whole meal, which I appreciated because it was my first experience with that sort of thing and he understood that food.  My god....I have never seen so much meat in my life, nor cooked so well.  I remember them bringing out this skewer that looked like the size of a sword from the Medieval days. I asked if that was dinner, to which LZ replied...nope, appetizers.

I hope the food at Bayview will also honor him tomorrow.

• Like 1

https://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/blogs/prayer-of-st-brendan-the-navigator

Prayer of St. Brendan the Navigator

'Help me to journey beyond the familiar
and into the unknown.
Give me the faith to leave old ways
and break fresh ground with You.
Christ of the mysteries, I trust You
to be stronger than each storm within me.
I will trust in the darkness and know
that my times, even now, are in Your hand.
Tune my spirit to the music of heaven,
and somehow, make my obedience count for You.'

• Like 1
On 9/26/2021 at 7:12 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Hade some fun exchanges with LZ, allwayes happey to help.   

+1. Luiz was an exceptional person, invariably pleasant and helpful to everyone he met. An example to the rest of us.

RIP.

How was the service / after glow ?

I attended both from Nigeria (omg, our network held!!)

The church was packed, and over 150 of us joined online.  Catholic Mass.

The celebration of his life at Bayview was healing. They did 8 Bells, which caused me to burst into sobs.  The stories, the laughter, the knowing nods .. everyone knew the twinkle in his eye, how much coke he drank (wink), and I think it was so telling that his brother got up and said how they'd always felt sorry for Luiz, up there all alone. That they had no idea about all of us and how astounded they were with the love at the church as well as at BYC - That they understood he'd really been among family all that time, not alone at all.

Truly it was lovely, I thought.

I was really appreciative of what Mike said. 

I think that if you click the links above, they'll take you to the livestream recording. 

• Like 2