Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After selling my Frers 36 in January, 0-4 in getting a replacement. Frers 30, Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1 all had issues and compromises. 

Came across 1985 Avance 33 in Texas. Norlin designed, so narrow beam but light. On the lines of Aphrodite 101 or BB10m, but with 6'2" headroom. Pretty much redone over 2 years, pics look good, and wifey likes.

Found little info on the web, anybody have any knowledge about what to look for, how they sail (could be light to medium wind rocket, for the era). Any PHRF rating?

Thanks for the help.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Charsel said:

After selling my Frers 36 in January, 0-4 in getting a replacement. Frers 30, Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1 all had issues and compromises. 

Came across 1985 Avance 33 in Texas. Norlin designed, so narrow beam but light. On the lines of Aphrodite 101 or BB10m, but with 6'2" headroom. Pretty much redone over 2 years, pics look good, and wifey likes.

Found little info on the web, anybody have any knowledge about what to look for, how they sail (could be light to medium wind rocket, for the era). Any PHRF rating?

Thanks for the help.

Avance 33, Aphrodite 101 and BB10m are in no way similar, trust me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We sail against an Avance 36, Frers 36, Sabre, C&C and others...can correct over the Frers but not able to beat physically.  The others we've done both.  We have a CAL33-2 ('87) with 6'2" draft.  Bought for beer canning, distance and doublehanded races and the family.  It's done it all.  Not a rocket ship at 132 but ton of fun, well-prepped and doesn't break the bank to buy sails (which we've done).  Ping me if interested in taking a look. 

Edited by puffpuffpass
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

Avance 33, Aphrodite 101 and BB10m are in no way similar, trust me.

Didn't say similar ;all 3 are very different, but in the narrow beam, pleasing to the eyes, and fun to sail kinda way. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find the list of standard boats in the swedish rating system SRS here. https://matbrev.svensksegling.se/Home/BoatList
Avance 33 is in the list together with many more boats, i believe the ones you compared to as well. The system gives a very good idea of the potential of the boat. You find the SRS for full crew with spinnacker  in the fourt column from the right, without spinn in the third from right, and then the equivalent shorthanded SRS.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charsel said:

Didn't say similar ;all 3 are very different, but in the narrow beam, pleasing to the eyes, and fun to sail kinda way. 

If I was really, really stupid rich, I would have an Aphrodite 101 in my living room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailed on one several years ago. 

As I recall, it went upwind in 12+ knots like a rocket, pointed like a tour guide.   Comfortable in a seaway, but when you are pointing really high an a somewhat narrow boat, that is to be expected.   It was underpowered in the really light stuff and slower than masthead rivals, especially downwind against Cal 33 and Frers 30.

Loved the tiller.  The cockpit was a little tight for full on racing, but deep and secure for deliveries. Never on it for a cruise.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Charsel said:

After selling my Frers 36 in January, 0-4 in getting a replacement. Frers 30, Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1 all had issues and compromises. 

Came across 1985 Avance 33 in Texas. Norlin designed, so narrow beam but light. On the lines of Aphrodite 101 or BB10m, but with 6'2" headroom. Pretty much redone over 2 years, pics look good, and wifey likes.

Found little info on the web, anybody have any knowledge about what to look for, how they sail (could be light to medium wind rocket, for the era). Any PHRF rating?

Thanks for the help.

 

 

The big questions are what were the issues and compromises you found when looking at the replacements? What is the set of requirements for the new boat?  Why'd you sell the Frers 36?

I ask because all boats are a compromise, and all used boats have issues of some kind ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Staffan said:

You can find the list of standard boats in the swedish rating system SRS here. https://matbrev.svensksegling.se/Home/BoatList
Avance 33 is in the list together with many more boats, i believe the ones you compared to as well. The system gives a very good idea of the potential of the boat. You find the SRS for full crew with spinnacker  in the fourt column from the right, without spinn in the third from right, and then the equivalent shorthanded SRS.  

Thanks for the info. Didn't know it existed

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Crash said:

The big questions are what were the issues and compromises you found when looking at the replacements? What is the set of requirements for the new boat?  Why'd you sell the Frers 36?

I ask because all boats are a compromise, and all used boats have issues of some kind ;)

Sold Frers 36:

Crew hurt or family obligations (babies);

COVID job loss ( now working, and much happeir job and money);

Downsizing.

The 9.1 was stripped by owner, everything from interior in garage, foredeck hatch plywood;

Seller of Frers 30 installed roller furling wrong, lots of water intrusion (survey), engine leaked water/coolant, and composite sails could be used as collander, tiller shattered during sea trial;

Cal 28-2 engine didn't run (not disclosed), hatches didn't seal;

J 30 electrcal system shot (not disclosed), but owner spent $15-20K on new sails;

Cal 33-2 water intrusion, soft cabin sole. 

Parameters for new boat: 28-33' with all lines back to cockpit, good PHRF performance, 6' headroom with some wood below, no porta poti, full galley, shore power. After Frers 36, must point well and sail fast

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So you need a "good" Frers 30 or S2 9.1.  :P  I sold my 9.1 to an Airline guy down in Tampa back in 2014.  I'd put a bunch of work into the boat, and so did he.  It should be a great boat now.  Always made me look like a better sailor than I was.  Frers 30 has always been on "my list" but they are hard to come by, and I suspect many "put away wet" though that can be applied to many (not all) J-30s as well.

Good luck with the search!  How far are you willing to travel to find a good boat?  FL can be "hard" on boats...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crash said:

So you need a "good" Frers 30 or S2 9.1.  :P  I sold my 9.1 to an Airline guy down in Tampa back in 2014.  I'd put a bunch of work into the boat, and so did he.  It should be a great boat now.  Always made me look like a better sailor than I was.  Frers 30 has always been on "my list" but they are hard to come by, and I suspect many "put away wet" though that can be applied to many (not all) J-30s as well.

Good luck with the search!  How far are you willing to travel to find a good boat?  FL can be "hard" on boats...

9.1 is our preference, but this Avance 33 would fit our needs.

We're looking as far West as Houston, as far North as Annapolis. Got a quote for slip in St Pete............................$730/month

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WoobaGooba said:

"Cal 33-2 water intrusion, soft cabin sole."  Meaning water had been left sitting within the cabin for some period of time?

More like a leak from starboard aft opening port. Don't know about the cabin sole, but it was not a good sign. Boat sold recently

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully looking at a Cal 28-2 on a lake in Knoxville. Would be trucking home, so anyone have transport co. recommedations? Boat details to follow. Maybe Holy Grail is upon me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2021 at 8:24 PM, Charsel said:

Hopefully looking at a Cal 28-2 on a lake in Knoxville. Would be trucking home, so anyone have transport co. recommedations? Boat details to follow. Maybe Holy Grail is upon me.

Nope, it wasn't. Sounds like getting a surevey, easy, haul out, not so much due to low water levels. Moved on to Tartan 3000 in MD, seeing 10/17, along with J30, Sabre 30, and..........another Cal 28-2

Link to post
Share on other sites

There might be a few smallish Farrs over in MD. Look for a Farr 1020, Farr 33. Not so common but think a bigger version of a Laser 28. Look nice, and easy boats to sail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My God what have we  come too.

Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1

I guess modern designs are worthless. I would rather plane at 18 to 20 knts than surf at 10 or 12. Hell, I hit over 15 in my Zap 26 in 20knts of wind, that is an 80's design.

Some modern designs actually have interiors too you know.

PS, I just found a decent Zap 26 may be up for sale in the SD Area. the owner just had to repo it, probably due to covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

My God what have

9 hours ago, Jono said:

There might be a few smallish Farrs over in MD. Look for a Farr 1020, Farr 33. Not so common but think a bigger version of a Laser 28. Look nice, and easy boats to sail. 

Raced on a Farr 37 (Dickinson) early 90's. Fun boat, but no v berth. Will check out Farr 33.

 

8 hours ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

I do happen to know of the best S2 9.1 in the world, which also happens to be for sale if that still tickles your fancy.

Where located, and what condition?

 

8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

My God what have we  come too.

Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1

I guess modern designs are worthless. I would rather plane at 18 to 20 knts than surf at 10 or 12. Hell, I hit over 15 in my Zap 26 in 20knts of wind, that is an 80's design.

Some modern designs actually have interiors too you know.

PS, I just found a decent Zap 26 may be up for sale in the SD Area. the owner just had to repo it, probably due to covid.

come too.

Cal 28-2, Cal 33-2, S2 9.1

I guess modern designs are worthless. I would rather plane at 18 to 20 knts than surf at 10 or 12. Hell, I hit over 15 in my Zap 26 in 20knts of wind, that is an 80's design.

Some modern designs actually have interiors too you know.

PS, I just found a decent Zap 26 may be up for sale in the SD Area. the owner just had to repo it, probably due to covid.

To each his/her own. Just not my taste

 

9 hours ago, Jono said:

There might be a few smallish Farrs over in MD. Look for a Farr 1020, Farr 33. Not so common but think a bigger version of a Laser 28. Look nice, and easy boats to sail. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The S2 9.1  is located in La Salle, MI. With a triad so it can go anywhere. Condition is such that you could eat off any surface in the boat, it is immaculate. Feel free to send me a PM

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Charsel said:

To each his/her own. Just not my taste

 

 

6'9" draft would be a problem down here

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 8:15 PM, Charsel said:

6'9" draft would be a problem down here

 

 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:15 PM, Charsel said:

6'9" draft would be a problem down here

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading to MD (not going to Boat Show) to look at S2 9.1 and Tartan 3000. Both look well taken care, got my What to Look Out For lists, binoculars, small mallet. Hopefully coming home with plans for sea trial (if can't do thing weekend) and transport to St Pete. Got a slip in St Pete, so just gotta get a boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, Charsel said:

Heading to MD (not going to Boat Show) to look at S2 9.1 and Tartan 3000. Both look well taken care, got my What to Look Out For lists, binoculars, small mallet. Hopefully coming home with plans for sea trial (if can't do thing weekend) and transport to St Pete. Got a slip in St Pete, so just gotta get a boat.

Back from MD with potential purchsae of 1984 Tartan 3000. S2  we saw was bet condition of a racing boat we'vre seen, but................................delamination on port side chainplate, forward hatch leak,and stuffing box had a constant drip with engine off. The Tartan was in much better shape, no water intrusion, good tap test around mast, ports, hatches, chainplates, and deck. Backdown for sea trial and survey 1 week.

Any Tartan 3000 info would appreciated

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...