• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Video of boats sailing always good. Irina, seasick for 5 days. auch. Maybe the reason for the hike to the coast.

It is starting today (delayed from yesterday due to weather)  Site : https://www.minitransat.fr/en/news/mini-transat-eurochef-j-1/ Tracker : http://minitransat.geovoile.com/2021/tr

Posted Images

Race to the Volcano........ ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Go Hugo Picard, SVB Team, the Sailing Frenchman.

We have enjoyed his YT channel.

Cheering on him and Will be doing the same. Known Hugo for a while now. Sooo good watching him progress to where he is now!

1 hour ago, plugger said:

Cheering on him and Will be doing the same. Known Hugo for a while now. Sooo good watching him progress to where he is now!

Been watching his vids again now that he has a 6.5.   Good channel, cool guy.

Is the only issue with Orcas in the exclusion zone off the corner of Spain?

This is from '11

On 11/1/2011 at 9:00 AM, Open Sailing said:

Did you guys read the story that happened to Antoine Rioux (800 - Festival des Pains) who finished third? He explained that a little before the doldrums, he was attacked by an Orca! I couldn't see an english translation of the French article but the orca hit the boat a couple of times before taking some of his transom out. Antoine patched the hole but still had to get about a bucket of water out everyday after that. It almost felt like the orca told him not to sail in his play ground!

• Like 1

Anyone sail a serie in breeze?   Watching Picard (1014) vids and they seem squirrely - lots of work to keep them from skipping around.  

Have to be one my favorite classes.   Talk about overpowered?   Love it.

It seems to my UNTRAINED eye that heading West is the good choice. You go through the front as early as possible, and then it is a reach or broad reach to Cap Finisterre.

Right?

Unless you get swallowed by the high pressure system windless core, which is setting itself up in the Bay of Biscay and end up in very light wind, before you can escape  South of Cap Finisterre...

If that happens, the few boats that went South could hug the Spanish Northen shore in a small corridor of wind and say good bye to the bulk of the fleet.

So interesting to follow!

1 hour ago, Fanta Se said:

Is the only issue with Orcas in the exclusion zone off the corner of Spain?

This is from '11

There has been several recent reports of a pod of killer whales, shewing on sailboats rudders in the past year or two; always on the Northen side of Cap Finisterre...

12 hours ago, yl75 said:

Impressive Irina !

And this with a "non scow" 2011 boat (but which won many races)

Yep, experience pays.

And first sailor from Uruguay I reckon. Sailing in serie.

But in the end Bouroullec will win...

Has anyone else noticed how incredibly fast Teamwork has been upwind in big breeze and waves?  He seems pegged at over 7 knots and with great tacking angles for a mini in these conditions.

• Like 1

For the proto leaders, it's the only option that I see.  They will be near La Coruna by Thursday morning local time, which should give them a huge escape south.  There is a door that shuts behind them.

Watching the tracker, they have all slowed down considerably.

Hugo is in the pack which I like, ie. he hasn't taken a flyer. 

Amazing upwind speeds for those 21.5 foot boats in the Bay of Biscay.

Years ago, my wife and I sailed our Carter 30 from Falmouth to La Coruna and still ended up slightly east. Had to tack west up the coast.

And I like to think we sailed her fairly efficiently. Not easy conditions. The forecast was more than a bit off.

Teamwork should be picking up the Portuguese North Wind, the "Nortada" anytime now, and will be gone, for a while at least.

Close to 20kn Northerlies all the way to La Palma will be a sleigh ride for all of them, and we'll see who makes the most of it.

Bit more on this Nortada here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortada

• Like 1

I'm cheering for Hugo too (he's about the only one of the racer's I knew of before the race because of his youtube channel), but I fear he may be on the wrong side of the gap that seems to be opening in the fleet.  Depends how much the 'door closes' at Finisterre, although the leaders of the Serie class might not get away like the leaders in Proto.

I've been following Julie Simon too (who was in a couple of Hugo's vids), and she seems to be sending it.  Made a good move out to the Northwest that seems to have paid off.  Most of the leading group seem to have gotten west to the windshift first back on the first night.  Looks like they might be able to pull the same move again and catch a westward shift just before the TSS.

From the Cape to La Palma’s volcano navigation (toward the volcano) will be simplified:  

Exodus 13:21-22

New International Version

21 By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. 22 Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ctutmark said:

Hopefully the tracker on 969 will get sorted out, it hasn't reported a position since last night at 2130. 

He was 5 miles behind Teamwork when his tracker went silent, so he's lost about 30 miles overnight.  Incident likely?

10 hours ago, r.finn said:

He was 5 miles behind Teamwork when his tracker went silent, so he's lost about 30 miles overnight.  Incident likely?

No news other than that his tracker broke down.

More likely Teamwork just took off sooner, at 10knots, as expected... 

1 hour ago, r.finn said:

Well that door closed like Chick-fil-a on a Sunday.  200+ between 1st and 5th. 

Yup, and then the deadbolts slid into position.

That was amazing to watch. happens quickly when someone is doing 11kts vs 1.5.

Bold move by Irina. Looks like she's trying to pick up a channel of stronger wind along the coast if you can trust the wind info. May as well try it as she has nothing to lose. Has 4th place and is almost 200 miles ahead of 5th place.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

Bold move by Irina. Looks like she's trying to pick up a channel of stronger wind along the coast if you can trust the wind info. May as well try it as she has nothing to lose. Has 4th place and is almost 200 miles ahead of 5th place.

There is also about half a knot if current running south along the Portuguese coast, so, as you point out, it's a pretty good gamble with that huge gap to fifth.

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Looks like the back end of the fleet is stopping for wine and cheese. Gonna be a long slow ride

I am trying to figure out why the leaders of the Serie are all heading into bay?

Don't think it a mark of the course?

Maybe I will try to find a French forum with more info. Google translate here we come.

Because that high pressure ridge is not done yet. It’s forecast to slide even further south and east, and if you don’t get around it you’ll be 3.5 days behind instead of 1.5. 

2 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

She has not that detailed weather info as you. Weird action out of place, maybe a rudder or spreader repair. Or confused by earlier meteo report and thought a bit of safety was in place.

46 minutes ago, LeoV said:

She has not that detailed weather info as you. Weird action out of place, maybe a rudder or spreader repair. Or confused by earlier meteo report and thought a bit of safety was in place.

Agreed that was a bold move especially with starboard jibe being so heavily favored. Could have been a repair issue or trying a riskier move since worst she'd drop to is 4th. At the last sched 969 is seriously lit up 12.7knots instant speed with a 4hr avg of 12.4, sailed 2.4 miles more than 1019 in those 4hrs

• Like 1

it seems now that ALL the fleet - except the 4 leaders - is heading for shelter - bar maybe this young German guy ? In 1993 or so Thierry Dubois did the same - ignored the calls to head for safety and ended first in his class. 

Hope for #920 it works - he has a bad strech of lee coast ahead of him, nothing to shelter before Peniche I think…

44 minutes ago, Ganzi said:

Hope for #920 it works - he has a bad strech of lee coast ahead of him, nothing to shelter before Peniche I think…

So if he does make it, does he automatically win? How does the time dispensation work if the rest of the fleet has taken cover?

But also surely as small as these boats are, they can still handle 30-50 knots with just a storm jib up right?

I dont think there is any time dispensation, if 920 arrives first (in Séries), he wins the first stage.

yes a mini can take 50 kts, but you want sea-room. Plus, off this coast the sea state will be bad, I assume. 

2 hours ago, Ganzi said:

dont think there is any time dispensation, if 920 arrives first (in Séries), he wins the first stage.

yes a mini can take 50 kts, but you want sea-room. Plus, off this coast the sea state will be bad, I assume. 

Yeah that's fair enough, no engine to help you if you get in trouble either...

The Live Sail Die report on the wind/shelter situation: race Management have advised to "practice good seamanship" and consider seeking shelter, in view of the nasty weather incoming in the Bay of Biscay/Finisterre region.  Doesn't affect the 4 leaders though.

https://www.livesaildie.com/mini-transat-sailors-looking-to-take-cover/?fbclid=IwAR0lQEGiwIxzoZXM5SsEZ8VhbdmRg4UKXPHlCtwKkB3FuQb-WzcT9NmnTZo

15 hours ago, LeoV said:

That’s interesting. I assumed they would have more accurate and localized info than shown to us. 

27 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

That’s interesting. I assumed they would have more accurate and localized info than shown to us. 

Radio (VHF and HF) audio forecasts only.  No cell service, no iridium 

18 hours ago, Ganzi said:

Figuara Da Foz is a good harbour. Peniche harder to get into in SW. IIRC, been to both. There  is another port halfway, Nazara, never been, looks big enough.

Orca certainly add a new dimension. I wouldn’t want to find out what happens when they finally sink a boat and get some new toys to play with. 4 boats attacked So far  and they’re just entering the prime Orca playground. 

From Wikipedia:

From July to October 2020 there were at least forty reliable reports of orcas attacking boats off the Atlantic coast of Portugal and Spain, unusual and unprecedented behaviour. The nudging, biting and ramming attacks, on medium-size sailing boats sailing at moderate speed, concentrated on the rudder, with some impacts on the hull. A small group of orcas are believed to be responsible, with three juveniles which have been named black Gladis, white Gladis and grey Gladis, identified as present in most attacks. While the incidents were terrifying, no people were injured. The Portuguese coastguard banned small sailing vessels from a region where several incidents had been reported. It is thought that the behaviour is playful, rather than aggressive or vengeful.[208]

37 minutes ago, hannibalhouse said:

From Wikipedia:

From July to October 2020 there were at least forty reliable reports of orcas attacking boats off the Atlantic coast of Portugal and Spain, unusual and unprecedented behaviour. The nudging, biting and ramming attacks, on medium-size sailing boats sailing at moderate speed, concentrated on the rudder, with some impacts on the hull. A small group of orcas are believed to be responsible, with three juveniles which have been named black Gladis, white Gladis and grey Gladis, identified as present in most attacks. While the incidents were terrifying, no people were injured. The Portuguese coastguard banned small sailing vessels from a region where several incidents had been reported. It is thought that the behaviour is playful, rather than aggressive or vengeful.[208]

I feel much better now knowing it’s all fun  /playfull behavior.   

Insurance cover a chomped rudder?

2 hours ago, blunderfull said:

What a cool little rocket.

Absolutely, Tanguy Bouroullec (969 Tollec) is now 20' ahead of Pierre Le Roy (1019 Teamwork). That’s something like 70' in 2 days, or 1½kn faster.

This little Verdier/Pogo machine is more sophisticated than an AC75 !

3 hours ago, blunderfull said:

I feel much better now knowing it’s all fun  /playfull behavior.

It's possibly just that, it could even be that they figured out they can play with you longer if they jam or break the rudder!

Nearly 20 years ago I was "circumnavigating" Vancouver Island (750nm, but much longer if you go into every inlet or fjord), and half-way down the desolate West coast there were constant warnings not to get anywhere near a cute young orca that had become separated from her pod. It just wanted to play, but when people were not allowed to get near him, he became a dangerous nuisance. The situation became very contentious when the indigenous Indians claimed it was the reincarnation of one of their beloved chiefs. Lots of intriguing stories and videos on "Luna", and this one is one of the nicer ones:

6 hours ago, LeoV said:

Figuara Da Foz is a good harbour. Peniche harder to get into in SW. IIRC, been to both. There  is another port halfway, Nazara, never been, looks big enough.

Well, from what I see on the tracker, he is right now in the thick of it. And in 3 hours he should get a nice West shift, if he is in operating condition, he should be able to move on to Canaries. I would HATE sitting in Camariñas (or wherever) and seeing this happening - the youngest gets away with it - is he a lucky ignorant, or a genius revealed before our eyes ?

Meanwhile Kick, the oldest competitor, gets …kicked … back … and ends in Ribadeo (?), erasing hard-gained miles. That sucks, I really feel for him. Older and last. Aïe.

Greek tragedy. 

8 hours ago, Ganzi said:

I would HATE sitting in Camariñas (or wherever) and seeing this happening - the youngest gets away with it - is he a lucky ignorant, or a genius revealed before our eyes ?

Depends, for most in the production class it is about the adventure and experience. Many have kids etc. To see a very young sailor taking big risks will not influence the most of them.

Regarding the old guy;
In the last few hours, Georges Kick (529 - Black Mamba) ran aground on the rocks at the entrance to the port of Ribadeo. The skipper is fine but the boat seems to be damaged. (https://twitter.com/MiniTransat2021).

• Like 1

For those worried about the volcanic activity on La Palma, the volcano is on the western side of the island and the current winds are blowing the ash cloud away from the island. The fleet will be docked on the eastern side of the island, well away from the volcano.

Kudos as well to 719 Piers Copham, he continued saililng (got hit the hardest at Cap Finisterre it seems - probably much harsher conditions than Melvin Finck). Well done.

He was quite behind, so he is still only 12 in proto, which is a meagre reward for his tenacity, but I hope he now enjoys his reach - and gets his payback...

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Kalimotxo said:

french sailors in my family are complaining that Copham and Fink lack in solidarity.

What do you guys think? Are they racing hard or do they lack in solidarity?

They're getting some shit for continuing that's for sure but for me racing is racing. It was a suggestion by the OA and not a mandatory stop. Therefore it is up to those at sea, only they know what they see in front of them. 

In the case of Copham though, I don't think he had much option than to continue. For the young fellow, daft, stupid, clever - who knows but he took his chance and looks set to make considerable gains from it. 

1 hour ago, r.finn said:

Read the comment section.  Translations are quite good.

I agree with Bourgnon. But I have never sailed a Mini and am far from the Bay of Biscay. That makes my opinion not worth spreading.

29 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Have no Facebook, so I presume he defended his decision ?

Sincèrement, je m’interroge...
J’ai été très surpris ce matin d’apprendre que la quasi-totalité des concurrents de la Mini-Transat avaient fait le choix de faire escale pour se protéger du front qui devait traverser la flotte dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche.
Alors certes, pour les concurrents qui viennent faire leur mini pour vivre une aventure, pour la finir, qui ont un crédit sur le bateau, qui ne visent pas une carrière, je conçois totalement que la sagesse et la prudence soient de mise. Mais alors j’avoue une incompréhension totale en voyant l’ensemble du groupe de tête des Séries à l‘arrêt...
Ils ont de véritables budgets, des bateaux pour gagner, 2 ans minimum de préparation dans les jambes avec plus de 5000 milles de navigation accumulées, une douzaine de compétitions derrière eux sur ces mêmes bateaux et ils ne seraient pas capables d’affronter des rafales à 40 noeuds pendant quelques heures !!!
Le choix de ces skippers signifierait qu’il n’est plus possible de négocier un seul passage de front en faisant la Mini-Transat ? Que se passe t’il ?
Rappelons que les concurrents ne disposent que d’une météo très sommaire fournie chaque jour par l’organisation via la radio vhf. Est-ce que les bateaux accompagnateurs auraient été trop alarmistes dans le relai de l’information ? Pas assez précis pour distinguer la météo des premiers et des derniers ?
En tout état de cause on voit bien ici, les limites du système entre disposer d’une vraie analyse météo personnalisée comme l’ensemble des classes de course au large ou le cas des ministes qui eux, n’y ont pas droit depuis toujours.
En tout cas, vu l’aspect consensuel de cet arrêt, j’ai du mal à penser que les infos transmises aux skippers n’étaient pas inquiétantes et peut être trop alarmistes...
Pour avoir gagné cette course en 1995 sans jamais avoir pu récupérer un bulletin météo en mer, je m’inquiète sérieusement de la tournure des choses dans cette classe. On dit que la Mini-Transat est le tremplin de la course au large, mais alors ces skippers qui n’auront jamais negocié le passage d’un front en mer auront-ils vraiment tant appris de l’esprit marin et de coureur ??
Ces comportements correspondent davantage à l’esprit d’un rallye comme l’Arc, que d’une course au large !!
Je pensais sincèrement qu’il y aurait 20 ou 30 marins jouant le classement qui partaient pour connaitre ce que chaque coureur se doit de vivre en mer. Ne sommes-nous pas en train d’infantiliser ces skippers, ne sont-ils pas en train de prêcher l’excès de sécurité.
Il faut regarder la position de Melwin Finck, qui seul au monde tente sa chance. En restant en mer, il peut faire le Hold-up sur la première étape ! Il va affronter son front cette nuit, comme des centaines de ministes l’ont déjà fait depuis plus de 40 ans !
Il n’y a aucune raison à dire que son choix envers et contre tous ne soit pas le bon.
Ne pas se méprendre dans mon propos, je ne suis pas pour décrier le choix de mon neveu qui, à 19 ans, a fait un début de course extraordinaire en étant aux avants postes. J’ai vraiment hâte d’avoir sa version des faits pour mieux comprendre le choix commun à toute la tête de flotte, sans exception.
Et à regarder l’arrêt du coureur autrichien Christian Kargl dans un port plus au sud, je constate que ceux arrêtés à Baiona avaient largement le temps de rejoindre des abris plus tard en gagnant de précieux milles vers l’arrivée. J’espère sincèrement que l’âme de cette belle course ne sera pas entamé par cet événement et que les organisateurs tireront des enseignements de ce couac pour les prochaines éditions.
En outre dans cette classe, on prêche depuis des dizaines d’années « la bite et le couteau » pour y aller et voir lors de cette escale forcée sur leurs réseaux des gars à l’hôtel, au restaurant, au bar, en discussions avec leurs routeurs météo à terre.... est ce vraiment cela l’esprit mini ? Certes les skippers sont pénalisés de 12h minimum en cas d’arrêt mais tout de même, on se perd un peu dans les valeurs véhiculées...
Depuis quelques années, toutes classes confondues, on a accepté de décaler les départs de course pour éviter la 1ère tempête. Récemment, on a changé les dates pour partir avant les tempêtes d’automne et maintenant il faudrait se mettre à l’abri à chaque coup de vent... sincèrement, ce sont des coureurs entrainés, ils en ont les capacités !
Bon vent à tous les ministes pour la suite de la course et que le/la meilleur(e) gagne !!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

That article says Fink is Yvan’s nephew. Probably pretty experienced at 19

No, Yvan explains that even though he defends Melwin Fink's decision to continue, this shouldn't be seen as him critisizing his nephew (Basil Bourgnon, No. 975) who stopped in Baiona.

• Like 1

Deepl translates it perfect, thanks Kalimoxto.

He puts it bluntly, good as discussion starter :)

Qoute;
 Recently, we changed the dates to leave before the autumn storms and now we have to take shelter at each gust of wind... sincerely, these are trained runners, they have the capacity!

• Like 1