Those who do know shit about tools

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes - This 100%... Our recent acquisition, is a 8'x20' CNC from Ebay. A large corporation with gov contracts was shutting down a manufacturing plant, they needed it gone asap, we were happy to st

I simply cannot imagine the skill and artistry it took to sand this seashore vista.  

I got this several months ago but it took me a while to create places for the slider fence, miter gauge, blade guard and drawers for saw blades and router bits.  But it is a beast to move around.

Posted Images

13 hours ago, RedTuna said:

We're supposed to let paint dry in the can, peel it out and then recycle the can.  I've never been able to get it out in one pull like this guy.

I've done that with polyester resin but never with paint.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've done that with polyester resin but never with paint.

Latex it works great. Same with Titebond/Elmer's carpenter glue.

You can also use the type2 Titebond/Elmer's to seriously clean old Vinyl records. I've tried it. It works like a charm.

16 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Latex it works great. Same with Titebond/Elmer's carpenter glue.

You can also use the type2 Titebond/Elmer's to seriously clean old Vinyl records. I've tried it. It works like a charm.

smear record, let dry, peel?

On 12/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, Ed Lada said:

Red neck cruise control! :lol:

There should be another one for the brake pedal for the parking brake.

umm,   no offense, Ed, but it sounds to me like your a little bit out of practice  driving 'Merican style shitboxes, ( even if it is a Japanese car) .

,of COURSE there is a brick, (not shown in the pic), 

,because last time the foot brake wasn't enough,

ya pulled the Ebrake so hard it's busted.

The prudent shitbox driver has two bricks,

one for the pedal, and one to chock a wheel because those brakes are shot too.

While we're at it, I'm thinking this floor jack is busted too,,

, POS hasn't lifted the car

at ALLLL .

No photo description available.

• Like 1

Going way back to exploding grinder disks, I had two 4.5 disks explode yesterday, I suspect I have a bad batch. I was only cutting some stainless sheet to make a weed deflector for the rudder...

I was wearing a rubber face mask plus goggles, leather gloves and the grinder with guard was facing away. But bits bounced off the wall and hit me in the face on the second breakup..

Opened a new packet of disks after that.

A few days ago used my one ton overhead hoist to put the boat on its trailer for the first time in 5 years. Had to use the grinder to cut a couple of the bolts on the hoist frame to take it apart for storage..

First "discovering" how profiling router bits work was a WOW! moment.  Make the template and duplicate anything you want forever.

First guitar body - because of the thickness, I had to use two different profiling bits
1757772097_Rad_0081.jpg.5fed2a3401492f7df394f9e31c8a7942.jpg

46109984_Rad_0091.jpg.196edaa651e7dbe92d1d45aceddaa342.jpg

1130572547_Rad_0111.jpg.690a5eba4b01c60e42e8d8f87ed96da3.jpg

That was 8 or so years ago.  This was a couple weeks ago - two halves of a new teak piece for the bow
109643328_BT_005.jpg.66633045a5e13f62e1eaf8bf5b963e9a1.jpg.1e2a55fb25812bfc8c93ff9792469700.jpg

91555431_BT_023.jpg.2ba12bf8333eabdb99f014b8083c24411.jpg.0951674bdc3a28914ef2f8f66f2753b2.jpg

• Like 4
On 12/17/2021 at 11:45 PM, RedTuna said:

We're supposed to let paint dry in the can, peel it out and then recycle the can.  I've never been able to get it out in one pull like this guy.

Fucker!!  Got me good!!!  

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do they come in S/S?

It's McMaster Carr, of course!  And unobtanium but you have to special order them.

On 1/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, Ed Lada said:

It's McMaster Carr, of course!  And unobtanium but you have to special order them.

McMaster-Carr was putting an addition on their warehouse just outside Chicago some years ago.  When I got there the work was a few weeks from finished.  They put all the new construction workers through a safety class that felt like boot camp.

And every morning the employees, who arrived about an hour after us, had to walk through a roped off path in the warehouse that took them from the parking lot to their work stations or offices.  The young women who worked there were put on display for the construction workers to ogle every morning.  That whole experience was creepy.

I was only there for a few weeks but it was bizarre.  Kinda like a regime, if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

McMaster-Carr was putting an addition on their warehouse just outside Chicago some years ago.  When I got there the work was a few weeks from finished.  They put all the new construction workers through a safety class that felt like boot camp.

And every morning the employees, who arrived about an hour after us, had to walk through a roped off path in the warehouse that took them from the parking lot to their work stations or offices.  The young women who worked there were put on display for the construction workers to ogle every morning.  That whole experience was creepy.

I was only there for a few weeks but it was bizarre.  Kinda like a regime, if you know what I mean.

Interesting. I know a young (late-20's) woman in management at McMaster. She's based in Boston and seems pretty happy with the place. 

6 hours ago, Jules said:

The young women who worked there were put on display for the construction workers to ogle every morning.  That whole experience was creepy.

That there is one of the fundamental attitudinal differences between men & women.

Women find it embarrassing and degrading to be viewed or treated that way.

I had women do it to me a few times and I loved it - huge ego boost.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That there is one of the fundamental attitudinal differences between men & women.

I think you're wrong.

Because neither side actually knows what the other side is thinking.

Of course they found you attractive as you changed their tyre....

On 12/17/2021 at 11:45 PM, RedTuna said:

I saw a youtube of a Dr. removing earwax from an ear that looked similar, but not nearly as satisfying.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, Jules said:

First "discovering" how profiling router bits work was a WOW! moment.  Make the template and duplicate anything you want forever.

First guitar body - because of the thickness, I had to use two different profiling bits
1757772097_Rad_0081.jpg.5fed2a3401492f7df394f9e31c8a7942.jpg

46109984_Rad_0091.jpg.196edaa651e7dbe92d1d45aceddaa342.jpg

1130572547_Rad_0111.jpg.690a5eba4b01c60e42e8d8f87ed96da3.jpg

That was 8 or so years ago.  This was a couple weeks ago - two halves of a new teak piece for the bow
109643328_BT_005.jpg.66633045a5e13f62e1eaf8bf5b963e9a1.jpg.1e2a55fb25812bfc8c93ff9792469700.jpg

91555431_BT_023.jpg.2ba12bf8333eabdb99f014b8083c24411.jpg.0951674bdc3a28914ef2f8f66f2753b2.jpg

On a wooden boat that's called a breasthook and usually has some crown to it. Getting the midship bevel and the mating surfaces with the inwhale right is a mofo.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, chester said:

smear record, let dry, peel?

Pretty much. Vinyl doesn't stick to vinyl, but it does stick to old belly button lint, cheetos dust, prehistoric beer residue, etc.

9 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I think you're wrong.

Because neither side actually knows what the other side is thinking.

I guess you had to be there.

It was very clear what they were thinking.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Polish women dress well, take care of themselves and like to dress nicely.  They take pride in their appearance.

In my experience here, if you happen to look at a woman walking down the street, and you aren't drooling and acting like an ass, the women here appreciate that you notice their efforts.  More than once, a passing woman noticed me notice them, and instead of getting a dirty look, I get a little smile and a nod of the head.  Kind of like, "Thanks for noticing."

• Like 3
On 1/20/2022 at 4:43 AM, Ed Lada said:

Polish women dress well, take care of themselves and like to dress nicely.  They take pride in their appearance.

In my experience here, if you happen to look at a woman walking down the street, and you aren't drooling and acting like an ass, the women here appreciate that you notice their efforts.  More than once, a passing woman noticed me notice them, and instead of getting a dirty look, I get a little smile and a nod of the head.  Kind of like, "Thanks for noticing."

The best women think we are nice.

We generally are.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

.... can be a lot of fun if you don't tire.

gotcha

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

gotcha

The carbide tips seem a little excessive.

Be sure not to ride in circles.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Point Break said:

Good grout lines though…….

Besides the totally crap grout job (and the fact that they’re upside down….) the misalignment would trigger my OCD every damn time I saw it.  Glad to see someone else can do a worse tile job than me… Being a (relatively) poor person in a high demand housing area, DIY is the only way I can afford anything.  Being not terribly good at it means I get to look at my mistakes every day…

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Besides the totally crap grout job (and the fact that they’re upside down….) the misalignment would trigger my OCD every damn time I saw it.  Glad to see someone else can do a worse tile job than me… Being a (relatively) poor person in a high demand housing area, DIY is the only way I can afford anything.  Being not terribly good at it means I get to look at my mistakes every day…

Yeah, but when I see a picture-perfect home, like in Architectural Digest, I have the urge to wipe my dirty feet on the carpet!! :D

Now I have to get the cat puke stains off our area rug..... :(

19 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

hehe…. Yup.  One of mine just wiped his butt on the wool-silk oriental….  We’re trying to move closer to town due to commute time and crazy schedule issues, but couldn’t have picked a worse housing market.  After 10 years our house is comfy and highly personal (red birch floors are da bomb!), and everything for sale is either crap or characterless. Sigh.

39 minutes ago, NaClH20 said:

hehe…. Yup.  One of mine just wiped his butt on the wool-silk oriental….  We’re trying to move closer to town due to commute time and crazy schedule issues, but couldn’t have picked a worse housing market.  After 10 years our house is comfy and highly personal (red birch floors are da bomb!), and everything for sale is either crap or characterless. Sigh.

I feel your pain!  Our house is worth 150K more than we paid three years ago, but nowhere to move to as nice as what we have now.....

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Yeah, but when I see a picture-perfect home, like in Architectural Digest, I have the urge to wipe my dirty feet on the carpet!! :D

Fuck Archi Digest!

Every single picture is overly staged.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Outta HighSkool I worked in a ShipYard as a carpenter "SOUTHWEST MARINE"

out at nearly end of pier was a Wooden WWII Mine Sweeper

Dude w Money had it converted to Luxury Faster Boat

When finished w White Carpeting within

Some Dock Worker (mostly worked repairing the Docks) Opted to take a self tour

Creosote was the Wonder Save ALL of Docks/Piers and was applied or spilled everywhere everyday

Well the guy didn't think to remove shoes and his Every Step would never Rot in that spot of the carpet

we didn't All get a Raise ... But Sure felt Good NOT Being That Guy

who worked there till sometime between lunch and when we got off work

The BEST Super TUNA Boats were Built Right There Right then

Oh the Shit that happened there :-o

41 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

Outta HighSkool I worked in a ShipYard as a carpenter "SOUTHWEST MARINE"

out at nearly end of pier was a Wooden WWII Mine Sweeper

Dude w Money had it converted to Luxury Faster Boat

When finished w White Carpeting within

Some Dock Worker (mostly worked repairing the Docks) Opted to take a self tour

Creosote was the Wonder Save ALL of Docks/Piers and was applied or spilled everywhere everyday

Well the guy didn't think to remove shoes and his Every Step would never Rot in that spot of the carpet

we didn't All get a Raise ... But Sure felt Good NOT Being That Guy

who worked there till sometime between lunch and when we got off work

The BEST Super TUNA Boats were Built Right There Right then

Oh the Shit that happened there :-o

SORC, early 80's.  I was boat nanny of an IOR class A 65 footer, just before St. Pete to Lauderdale race.  A famous sailor came along the dock with a couple of high-heeled bimbos, and asked me if they could come aboard?  Sure, I said, just leave the Stilleto's on the dock!! :lol:

9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Olde Williame woude of thouht you as a barn burnere......           :)

9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

SORC, early 80's.  I was boat nanny of an IOR class A 65 footer, just before St. Pete to Lauderdale race.  A famous sailor came along the dock with a couple of high-heeled bimbos, and asked me if they could come aboard?  Sure, I said, just leave the Stilleto's on the dock!! :lol:

Here's to women in high heeled shoes! They'll steal your money, and drink your booze. The haven't got a cherry, but that's no sin, 'cuz they still got the box the cherry came in!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
11 minutes ago, Lowly Crew said:

That's so cool. Thanks for posting it.

is that?

And WTF is "Tik-Tok"????

Ist verrey coolle, BB ovoide TT, it mabey to muche temptatione runneng dowen thoise rabbitte holles...........     :)

Great video of knapping, though my preference for flints is the LePage.

I would have thought that you guys up there would mention the “Toolbox in a Holster”. I think from Garrison Keillor’s Prairie Home Companion. The Taurus shot gun pistol might fit the bill. Useful for loosening stuck objects, clearing out a room etc. we don’t have the right to bare arms here or arm bears (even drop bears!). So I’m unlikely to see such a useful device in my toolbox. Regards CK

899F9A0A-96B9-497D-A948-A9488FBFC2A8.jpeg

B4CFCA36-CEEA-4ACF-94A0-2E69D5529F58.jpeg

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist verrey coolle, BB ovoide TT, it mabey to muche temptatione runneng dowen thoise rabbitte holles...........     :)

Sorry, I meant to say WTF is that geode like rock with the shiny insides???

On 1/24/2022 at 3:46 PM, hobot said:

Thats-not-how-it-works.jpg

I had this exact thing happen several years back, I ordered these for the overnight shift to install at a new facility. The pic above is what I saw when I arrived the next morning (dozens of them); emails that day couldn’t get the guys who installed them to understand the issue. So I came in a few hours early the following day to physically show them what the issue was; they still looked at me like I was from outer space. After thinking about it a bit I decided laziness was also involved.

You can’t fix stupid; those 3 guys lasted less than a year after further examples of their stupidity/laziness.

13 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yes adgreede, butte I offere as a salve;

:)

Ahh much better, thanks pal!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yes adgreede, butte I offere as a salve;

:)

The tightest band - ever.

• Like 1