Asking for Covid hazzard pay

I am self employed and work a day rate.

If you go for a day of work where there is low vaccine takers, more covid cases and nearly universal refusal to wear masks in doors, what kind of additional compensation would you ask for?

6 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

If you go for a day of work where there is low vaccine takers, more covid cases and nearly universal refusal to wear masks in doors, what kind of additional compensation would you ask for?

If I could turn away the work, i likely would.

• Like 3

i really can't turn the work down but I can do some thngs that can protect myself.  I will be wearing the kn95 mask for 8 hours plus will bring a good high volume room air purifier and anti bacterial wipe down of surfaces between video sessions.  i am adding 1/3 more to my day rate which my cleints have excepted as i need to do this to feel as comfortable as possible

In some way 2019 was easier.  We have become scifi characters in our own real world life. F'ing crazy.

10 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

i really can't turn the work down but I can do some thngs that can protect myself.  I will be wearing the kn95 mask for 8 hours plus will bring a good high volume room air purifier and anti bacterial wipe down of surfaces between video sessions.  i am adding 1/3 more to my day rate which my cleints have excepted as i need to do this to feel as comfortable as possible

In some way 2019 was easier.  We have become scifi characters in our own real world life. F'ing crazy.

Buy a Hazmat suit, buy a ex-military Hummer, don't fly anywhere or use a bus, don't stand outside in a thunder storm and whatever you do never ever go sailing.  Then you'll probably live to 90, suffer from dementia and have spent the last ten years on life support.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

How much are you going to lose if you get sick?

Monetize that, add 15%.

You don't need the work if it's going to kill you.

- DSK

Add up all the cost of protective gear, wipes, purifiers and be sure the 1/3 covers that NET of taxes. Or jack it up. 

They need to be forced to pay for their externalities. 

17 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Which proves you don't understand what "understand" means.

Again.

17 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Again, again.

- DSK

18 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Tell me what it is and why providing an unsafe environment isn't one. The people the contract worker will put at risk are third parties. 

I see you lot have branched out from writing the text book on pandemics to now covering economics.

Perhaps you should start with redefining the following definition.  While you are at it perhaps give us all a dissertation on the impacts of QE to fund the pandemic and the impact on third parties.

Externalities refers to situations when the effect of production or consumption of goods and services imposes costs or benefits on others which are not reflected in the prices charged for the goods and services being provided.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:23 PM, Black Jack said:

If you are vaccinated why worry ?

12 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I see you lot have branched out from writing the text book on pandemics to now covering economics.

Perhaps you should start with redefining the following definition.  While you are at it perhaps give us all a dissertation on the impacts of QE to fund the pandemic and the impact on third parties.

Externalities refers to situations when the effect of production or consumption of goods and services imposes costs or benefits on others which are not reflected in the prices charged for the goods and services being provided.

Straight from the OECD. It's normal to provide a link when you lift a quote.

Clew is perfectly in context.

https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=3215

Definition:

Context:
Pollution is an obvious example of a negative externality, also termed an external diseconomy. Chemicals dumped by an industrial plant into a lake may kill fish and plant life and affect the livelihood of fishermen and farmers nearby.

In contrast, a positive externality or external economy may arise from the construction of a road which opens a new area for housing, commercial development, tourism, etc. The invention of the transistor generated numerous positive externalities in the manufacture of modern telecommunication, stereo and computer equipment. Externalities arise when property rights cannot be clearly assigned.
12 hours ago, ShortForBob said:

Straight from the OECD. It's normal to provide a link when you lift a quote.

Clew is perfectly in context.

https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=3215

Definition:

Context:
Pollution is an obvious example of a negative externality, also termed an external diseconomy. Chemicals dumped by an industrial plant into a lake may kill fish and plant life and affect the livelihood of fishermen and farmers nearby.

In contrast, a positive externality or external economy may arise from the construction of a road which opens a new area for housing, commercial development, tourism, etc. The invention of the transistor generated numerous positive externalities in the manufacture of modern telecommunication, stereo and computer equipment. Externalities arise when property rights cannot be clearly assigned.

So please explain how a irrationally risk averse lecturer/speaker costs of wearing PPE is an externalitie by your definition?

You can find lots of definitions in a library but it takes understanding identify real life examples.

3 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

So please explain how a irrationally risk averse lecturer/speaker costs of wearing PPE is an externalitie by your definition?

You can find lots of definitions in a library but it takes understanding identify real life examples.

Simply pointing out your plagarism.

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

BTW posting a definition isn't plagiarism.  Not that it would worry a Librarian.....you just keep stacking the shelves!

It is when you don't attribute the source Mikey.

Did you never have to do citations on your thesis?

Repeatedly asserting someone else doesn't understand something is a whole lot easier than explaining what is incorrect in what they said, huh? 

You can't do that analysis can you, Mikey?  Who did your "thesis" some person you paid via website?

• Like 1
On 10/2/2021 at 11:25 PM, slug zitski said:

My co-worker didn't worry. All vaxxed up. Took the wife on vacay. Wife now has a breakthrough infection, passed it on to the 9month old kid (hence vacation).

Fact: You CAN get a breakthrough (likely won't kill you)

other fact: You can pass it on to the un-vaxxed. 

Co-worker isn't sick yet.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:23 AM, Black Jack said:

In a little more context, I am self employed,  never qualified for any governmental support and was turned down fo pandemic unemployment benefits. Over the last 18 months I had to recreate my career based on internet access and learn new skills to keep the lights on. I am vaccinated (as is my wife) and felt I needed to take the work on Friday. It was a little awkward but since I was there first on site, I was able to set the tone and manage the space. I worked with a  Kn95 mask on all day, was able to limit the number in the room to 4 persons at a time, had great air circulation with open doors, wiped down anything that was shared in contact. I was able to charge my full day rate (something I haven't been able to do for nearly 2 years) plus a get hazard bonus of 1/3 more plus charge for expendables making for a decent invoice.  

I am self isolating this next week for 7 days which is fine. Was able to do some solo sailing Sunday and ordered a main and spin halyard for the boat breaking even on the bonus. Still I miss 2019 but by me doing this, my client now considers me once again the go to technical problem solver.  I know had I not done it, i would put in jeopardy my most significant business relationship as a working technical producer/camera operator and maybe would have lost more work in the months to come. I do hope that we are beginning to see the beginning of the end of this pandemic.

In reflection, I hold everyone who is is currently working with the public in every different service sector in the highest esteem even if they do or do not understand the risks and whether they are vaxed or not. I feel kinda silly worried about a one day exposure where I manipulated the space to best work for me and those near me when there are many others who are there everyday that don’t have that control.

• Like 1

@Black Jack glad you were able to get the job done and perhaps you set a tone that will benefit that workplace in the future. 

Yes, customer facing job holders and the behind the scenes workers who keep the wheels on the bus deserve respect.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Black Jack said:

I feel kinda silly worried about a one day exposure where I manipulated the space to best work for me and those near me when there are many others who are there everyday that don’t have that control.

Don't apologize for keeping yourself safe. Glad you were able to do so on the prevention front.

Maybe if you work for this company again, ask "is it possible to have me only working with vaccinated individuals". If they don't know or don't want to ask who is vaccinated then just assume everybody can get you infected. 

• Like 1
On 10/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, slug zitski said:

Are you too stupid to use the purple font or are you just stupid?

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Are you too stupid to use the purple font or are you just stupid?

Yes, yes he is.

Both.

BTW how's the surfing safari coming along? The ice on the Channel has pretty much melted now so summer is just around the corner.

FKT