Best head foil for a 36 foot boat and #5 tapes

I think the Schafer Aero (1706) does not work with #5 tapes. So I think that leaves me with a choice between the Harken Carbo Foil or the Schafer classic Tuff Luff (1205-46), correct? Any other reasonable options for dual track head foil? 

I said this before. While I am a Harken dealer, I bought the Areo because it stands up to the blazing Sun here in the Philippines. Would suggest you have condom made for what ever foil you go with.  Oh and Harken and Schafer are the best. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, George Hackett said:

I said this before. While I am a Harken dealer, I bought the Areo because it stands up to the blazing Sun here in the Philippines. Would suggest you have condom made for what ever foil you go with.  Oh and Harken and Schafer are the best. 

Thanks George, can an Aero handle #5 luff tape? It was my first choice but then I thought I saw it can not. If it can that’s what I’ll get.

23 hours ago, George Dewey said:

I think the Schafer Aero (1706) does not work with #5 tapes. So I think that leaves me with a choice between the Harken Carbo Foil or the Schafer classic Tuff Luff (1205-46), correct? Any other reasonable options for dual track head foil? 

What size is your forestay? The 1706 you mention is designed to fit a maximum -17 rod and use #6 tapes. Just like a 1205 is -12 rod and #5 tapes. Harken uses different numbers but is pretty much the same sizing scheme

On 10/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, ctutmark said:

What size is your forestay? The 1706 you mention is designed to fit a maximum -17 rod and use #6 tapes. Just like a 1205 is -12 rod and #5 tapes. Harken uses different numbers but is pretty much the same sizing scheme

Headstay is -10 rod. Does rod get bigger as the number get smaller?

53 minutes ago, George Dewey said:

No. Rod size (the dash number) is breaking pounds roughly. -10 10,000, -17 17,000

-10 is .25”

-17 is .331” 

something like that. 

14 minutes ago, mgs said:

No. Rod size (the dash number) is breaking pounds roughly. -10 10,000, -17 17,000

-10 is .25”

-17 is .331” 

something like that. 

Okay thanks. So the 1706 would fit the headstay, but it uses #6 tapes, so that wont work unless I modify all my headsails. 

1 hour ago, George Dewey said:

If you have a -10 headstay then a 1205 foil will work although finding one long enough in length may be a problem The Harken foil (7000 model) is also for -12 and #5 tapes so this might also be an option, if you can get one long enough. 

47 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

If you have a -10 headstay then a 1205 foil will work although finding one long enough in length may be a problem The Harken foil (7000 model) is also for -12 and #5 tapes so this might also be an option, if you can get one long enough. 

The pin to pin length is 15.13 meters (49.6391 feet) including turnbuckle at half. The 1205-46 would be 3.5 feet shorter, is this long enough?  This is for a J/111. 

UPDATE: Actually Schafer says the max headstay length is 15.2 meters so I guess it just makes it. 

21 hours ago, gbkersey said:

The one I like is http://headfoil.com   Great product, great service and great price.  Eric is the inventor of the tuff luff.

Eric Lagerquist - eric@headfoil.com

Eric tells me he has one that works but uses #6 tapes. He thinks it may be close enough, I need to check my headsails. 

George- if you are in Charleston there are plenty of knowledgeable people there who can help you with this. 

Best choices are  Tuff-luff 1205 or a Harken 7000. the Harken is lighter weight if that matters. The stock Facnor furler uses #5 tapes