CLC now selling PT-11 kits

Paging @Russell Brown, please pick up a white courtesy phone for a message...

I am 10 years too late to the party to have one of the "early" PT-11 kits and have followed with interest (and sorrow) the disappearance of the PT-11 from the marketplace, along with other worthy hard dinghies like the Trinka.  I am pleased that the PT-11, at least, is back.

The question I have is what compromises, in the final analysis, were made in order to make the kit fit within the CLC way of doing things?  Did we lose the boom?  Is the connecting hardware the same?  Are all the bits and bobs -- fittings, surgical tubing, foils, pintles and gudgeons -- all the same?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Your questions are answered here: https://www.clcboats.com/pt11

... and https://www.clcboats.com/pt11 says "PT Watercraft's sailing rig includes a 2-part carbon mast, a carbon boom, all associated hardware and running rigging, a sail, and a storage bag"

So it seems that the boom is still part of the rig.

I think the CLC PT 11 kit will be really good. It has taken a year to get it all going. I've been mass producing small parts to get ready because we had a shocking number of people on a waiting list. The rigs will be the same, but some parts upgraded. We just drove to ICE to pick up 20 boats worth of masts and booms (60 tubes) and just now prototyping a better gooseneck fitting. The foils are now thinner, which was a large change of lots of parts and a new manual. Paul Bieker designed the foils. The connective hardware is the same general design, but cleaner machining. Our old machinist retired and the new hardware is twice the cost. It turns out we were getting a really good deal. The price of everything has gone up a lot, which is reflected in the price from CLC. Also the CLC kit has the epoxy included, which we didn't do. 

Anything else you want to know?

DSC_0375.jpeg

DSC_0242.jpeg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

How small can the workshop be considering it is a small boat in 2 bits?

Will the European stockists distribute them?

24 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Robert Koch proved the germ theory of disease in a corner of a two-room apartment, with just a curtain hung around it to keep his children out of the anthrax.  

9 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Will the European stockists distribute them?

It's built in one piece and then sawn in half, so you need roughly a standard car park spot. Included in the instructions is how to make a work table out of a sheet of 4' by 8' particle board and some 2x4s. The build manual by itself is an education in working with epoxy. 

Hadn't seen that these kits were available. Might make for a perfect winter project.

I would like to reiterate one point as far as the value is concerned: I've yet to float in my boat, but I'm confident it will work as designed. The money spent was worth it, just to have "taken the class" on working with epoxy, and stitch and glue boat building, getting a sweet boat at the end is of course a nice bonus. The manual describes such nuance of technique, I feel like an expert, despite limited experience with epoxy and glass. That said by a working guy on a budget."

Pretty glowing review looking at it as an opportunity to suck less at building stuff.

Thanks Ras, I think it's going to be a good partnership. I have a lot of respect for John Harris and his team at CLC. They have put a huge amount of effort into getting PT 11 production rolling. Same thing on our end. You'd like the rigs and foils and all the small parts. They keep getting better.

• Like 6

I think I fall into his woodbutcher catagory in the buyer conditions...

Still on the list someday, hard sell for the kit bit there is alot there.

Not to shit on this, but there is a Trinka thread also.

A few years ago we were in P-town sailing our Trinka and met a couple of guys in a PT11. On a lark we had a race across the bight, around an anchored boat and back. Weights were pretty close as they were not large guys and I had my wife.

We beat them by at least 1/4 mile. No tactics, pure boat speed. 

Do the PT11's have 2 rig options, tall or short? Because it seemed underpowered in light air. Maybe they had a short rig option?

1 hour ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Not to shit on this, but there is a Trinka thread also.

A few years ago we were in P-town sailing our Trinka and met a couple of guys in a PT11. On a lark we had a race across the bight, around an anchored boat and back. Weights were pretty close as they were not large guys and I had my wife.

We beat them by at least 1/4 mile. No tactics, pure boat speed. 

Do the PT11's have 2 rig options, tall or short? Because it seemed underpowered in light air. Maybe they had a short rig option?

According to the internet, a Trinka 10 is about 135 lbs, and comes with 65 sqft of sail area.  The PT-11 comes in at 90 lbs (if built by Russell) and comes with 54 sqft of sail area.  So maybe underpowered in lighter air?  Maybe you and your wife did a better job at weight distribution, to minimize wetted surface drag in the light air?  Maybe (likely) your a better sailor, so your sail trim was better for the light conditions?  

Hard to draw too many conclusions from a single data point.

• Like 1

I'm betting the roughly 20% more sail area made the difference. Thanks Crash!

28 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I'm betting the roughly 20% more sail area made the difference. Thanks Crash!

That's it...I'm challenging you to a race next season...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Elegua said:

That's it...I'm challenging you to a race next season...

I'm going to be busy sailing with Thomas and Grace.....

On 10/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, Russell Brown said:

Russ, any idea if CLC will ship the kit to Hawaii? If so, any idea of the added cost for that?

13 minutes ago, Kolibri said:

Russ, any idea if CLC will ship the kit to Hawaii? If so, any idea of the added cost for that?

Be cheaper to build the kit in California and sail it over.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Be cheaper to build the kit in California and sail it over.

I think that might violate the lease on my CA condo :-) 

On 10/4/2021 at 7:10 AM, Elegua said:

The build manual by itself is an education in working with epoxy. 

I've heard that too. I have a couple of Russ's eBooks and watched his videos over at Off Center Harbor which has made me hungry for more of his tutoring. CLC offers his PT11 build manual but I'm not gonna build anything for now. If he offers a generic boat building-epoxy book I'll get one.  

18 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Don't they have a craft room?

Unfortunately no, but I do have a massive "room of requirements" in Hawaii. It houses ~14 bikes, 3 SUPs, a few surf boards, and my workshop. There's enough open floor space to build two PT11's in parallel. I also have a badass stereo system and a beer cooler in the room of requirements. 

Please order several for the holidays, these are way better than anything ever offered to the general public and are backed by people who know and understand small craft design and construction with years of helping folks enjoy a demanding process that results in a product that is beautiful and strong yet light.

1 hour ago, Kolibri said:

I think that might violate the lease on my CA condo :-) 

49 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Don't they have a craft room?

28 minutes ago, Kolibri said:

Unfortunately no, but I do have a massive "room of requirements" in Hawaii. It houses ~14 bikes, 3 SUPs, a few surf boards, and my workshop. There's enough open floor space to build two PT11's in parallel. I also have a badass stereo system and a beer cooler in the room of requirements. 

Underground parking spot?  I've thought about it.

16 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Underground parking spot?  I've thought about it.

Nope...just one of the enclosed areas beneath my elevated house. The builder set up a killer gear room complete with a roll up garage door. I will need to evaluate ventilation for epoxy and varnish work, but that can easily be moved outdoors if necessary. It's easy enough to put the assembly fixture on wheels and setup a temporary tent to deal with rain. 

13 hours ago, Kolibri said:

No, but check with them. It might not be as bad as you think. Shipping is kind of unpredictable at the moment.

PT-11 folk, how does the dinghy hold up to abuse? Do you ever load crab/shrimp pots? Beautiful boats. We're considering one, but are wondering if protecting the interior from inevitable wear is necessary.