I am a bit impatient, thus a repost in a more active part of the forum. I've read the tuning guides from North and Quantum, but I was wondering if there were any stones left unturned. From those in the class what are the keys to sailing well in a competitive fleet? Really curious about everything from running/standing rigging, bow appendages, and McLube to trim, heel, rudder angle, handling, etc. what are personal/ideological/technical keys to success? 

Donno Jack about your question, but on boats that size . . 

it takes some athleticism . . which most of us no longer possess, or never did to begin with  . . . 

AmmIrite ??  

Sail it VERY flat. Tiller should feel mushy - no helm. Feels like garbage but it's fast. It took me a little practice to re-learn the "feel" of this.

At least in relative light air, flat water. YMMV.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

I am a bit impatient, thus a repost in a more active part of the forum. I've read the tuning guides from North and Quantum, but I was wondering if there were any stones left unturned. From those in the class what are the keys to sailing well in a competitive fleet? Really curious about everything from running/standing rigging, bow appendages, and McLube to trim, heel, rudder angle, handling, etc. what are personal/ideological/technical keys to success? 

"Bow appendages"??

FB- Doug

7 minutes ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:
12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

"Bow appendages"??

200 mm maximum length, I'll let you figure it out the rest of the way. 

Don't tell the class measurer but mine is closer to 240

I have not raced J-22s one-design but have sailed them a fair bit, and raced J-24s. The best place to start is good sails, follow the tuning guide scrupulously, study and imitate the top sailors in your fleet. Practice getting good starts. Pay attention (this last thing is actually the most difficult, these days... I dunno what the hell is wrong with people), sail fast, don't make sucker bets on a big gain on the next shift. And avoid rules entanglements, sail clean! Keep doing this until people are coming to you and asking your advice.

FB- Doug

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

200 mm maximum length, I'll let you figure it out the rest of the way. 

We’ll watch you figure it out the rest of the way. Start with buying a J-22 first 

9 hours ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

personal/ideological/technical keys to success? 

Your personality should be arrogant to the point of annoying combined with a total lack of sense of humor.

Ideologically social democratic outlook is probably best.

Technologically I would recommend android.

• Like 5

Sail at max class crew weight. Weight distribution critical. Rig tuning also, good guys adjust between races. Clean air - small jibs suck upwind in disturbed air. Sail against good people, buy them a drink and ask for advice. Buy your sails from whomever supports your local fleet.

Biggest gains and losses are mark roundings - the mechanics have to be flawless and fast.  Pretty much the same for all 1 designs......

The boats are notoriously wacky with deck layouts/keel/etc. So basically start with the tuning guide, then learn what the forestay length and mast flex do, and throw the guide out to make your own. Keep track of things religiously. I started sailing better once I realized that the tuning guides are written for 15xx boats with stiffer masts, and if you've got anything else you need to adjust acordingly.

Then also, learn to sail it feathered. The good ones have this high mode with the jib half luffed where they just walk away.

8 hours ago, JohnMB said:

Your personality should be arrogant to the point of annoying combined with a total lack of sense of humor.

Ideologically social democratic outlook is probably best.

Technologically I would recommend android.

I guess I already failed the test as this made me chuckle. #RIP to my hopes and dreams. 

First, have the keel faired by someone who knows how to do it for J 22s. You want to hit tolerances fore/ aft and shape thickness-wise. Then max forestay length. Weight way forward, only driver in cockpit close enough to touch cabintop. Boat is way underpowered, so you're looking for power until you're overpowered. Cross sheet jib. Otherwise usual one design stuff. Great class. Great boat that can be sailed by anyone as it doesn't take any muscle, more finesse. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

Don't worry about having the best equipment until you stop doing stupid shit on the race course. As a hint, there are a lot of people who do a lot of stupid things on the race course. The fastest way to end up at the back is to ignore wind shifts, or getting so hyper-focused on beating one particular boat that happens to be right in front of you that you let the whole bloody fleet sail past you.

Also, a lot of people lose a ton of ground to slooow tacks. Learn to roll-tack the boat, and then practice until you stop losing ground on every tack.

I saw a company, Offshore Spars, saying that they are selling a carbon J22 spinnaker pole but when I read the class rules, carbon is not allowed.  Which is it?

On 10/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, WCB said:

I saw a company, Offshore Spars, saying that they are selling a carbon J22 spinnaker pole but when I read the class rules, carbon is not allowed.  Which is it?

Well one of those tells you what is allowed. The other sells things. You tell me? :D
It isn't legal, but plenty of people sail the boat handicap? My bet is someone saw that it was ok in the 24 and assumed.