I'm looking at replacing the MFD in the scanpod on my center table (dual helm Hanse 415).  Originally the boat came with a Zeus 12, the PO replaced that with a Zeus2 9" using an additional plastic plate to cover the bigger hole.  

If I go back to a Zeus3S 12", I believe it should closely fit the original hole, but with my luck it will not fit perfectly.

If I go with a Vulcan 12", it definitely won't fit.

So do I:

1. Get a whole new pod and fit the MFD properly

2. Try and get a replacement front only to the existing pod and fit the new MFD cleanly

3. Get rid of the Pod itself and re-purpose the swivel mount and use the B&G bracket mounted to that...

The B&G units are designed to be exposed to the elements without a Pod, so it's pretty much just cosmetic, right?

Opinions please?

They aren't cheap - a new one is about $400...

zeus3 is 351.5x225.3 mm

zeus2 is 345.0x215.0 mm

That's about 5 mils top and bottom each side and 3.25 side to side. without seeing the scanpod can't be 100% sure, but seems reasonable you could go to the Z3.

I think the original hole is for a Zeus 12 (the original, not a Zeus2)...

then they put this plate in to rig up the Zeus2 9, so i'm assuming the holes are a oversized for the little screws that mount the Z3

so i'm wondering is it all worth it?

Pod or no Pod?

If possible go with the Pod. I am not familar with your boat but by description the MFD will be in the aft part of the cockpit. The device will be subjected to water, UV and abuse. The screen side can handle it, it is all the cords and connectors I would worry about. I suspect they are not as UV stable as the rest, and all connections eventually leak. Most pods have internal routing for the wires for a cleaner look and less chance of snagging.

If you commit to the pod you can see if the new device fits the old one, if not you are stuck with a new pod. It is about 1/10 the cost of the MFD, cheap insurance.

I'd definitely want the wires and connectors inside, both for environmental and mechanical protection. I don't know what your pod looks like, but I've taken to modifying any instrument install by cutting the largest possible hole in the panel/pod, then making a facia to mount the instruments. I'm on my 3rd iteration of MFDs on my boat only 12 years old, and I'm certain it will not be the last. Therefore the facia should be considered temporary and sacrificial, and easily replaced.

1 hour ago, DDW said:

I'd definitely want the wires and connectors inside, both for environmental and mechanical protection. I don't know what your pod looks like, but I've taken to modifying any instrument install by cutting the largest possible hole in the panel/pod, then making a facia to mount the instruments. I'm on my 3rd iteration of MFDs on my boat only 12 years old, and I'm certain it will not be the last. Therefore the facia should be considered temporary and sacrificial, and easily replaced.

+1 on this. 

I use thin sheets of painted 1/16" G10 as facias. 

5 minutes ago, Tom Keffer said:

+1 on this. 

I use thin sheets of painted 1/16" G10 as facias. 

1/4" starboard works great too and is much nicer to work with.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:22 AM, SimonGH said:

I'm looking at replacing the MFD in the scanpod on my center table (dual helm Hanse 415).  Originally the boat came with a Zeus 12, the PO replaced that with a Zeus2 9" using an additional plastic plate to cover the bigger hole.  

If I go back to a Zeus3S 12", I believe it should closely fit the original hole, but with my luck it will not fit perfectly.

If I go with a Vulcan 12", it definitely won't fit.

So do I:

1. Get a whole new pod and fit the MFD properly

2. Try and get a replacement front only to the existing pod and fit the new MFD cleanly

3. Get rid of the Pod itself and re-purpose the swivel mount and use the B&G bracket mounted to that...

The B&G units are designed to be exposed to the elements without a Pod, so it's pretty much just cosmetic, right?

Opinions please?

They aren't cheap - a new one is about $400...

I thought Podmajerski had been resurrected.  My heart skipped a beat thinking of the endless threads to come..  WTF happened to that guy??  

I don't know who that is... but I appreciate everyone's opinions.  

I'm going to replace the pod, so it's the right size for a Vulcan 12 (slightly smaller)

Seaview makes one that is less expensive and fits the Vulcan nicely.  I'm going to keep the Scanpod as the idea to remake the face sounds like a great idea if i ever need to swap things.

2 hours ago, IStream said:

1/4" starboard works great too and is much nicer to work with.

Starboard is OK but difficult to paint, if you want the carpet to match the drapes....

If you do a CAD drawing the first time, then the 2nd, 3rd, 4th iterations become very easy. Outline and mounting holes already located, just CNC or waterjet a new panel with your new instrument layout.