First it was the wall street journal stories, then the whistleblower on 60 minutes last night.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/4/22708989/instagram-facebook-outage-messenger-whatsapp-error

A peek at Down Detector (or your Twitter feed) reveals the problems are widespread. While it’s unclear exactly why the platforms are unreachable for so many people, their DNS records show that, like last week’s Slack outage, the problem is apparently DNS (it’s always DNS). Cloudflare senior vice president Dane Knecht notes that Facebook’s border gateway protocol routes — BGP helps networks pick the best path to deliver internet traffic — have been “withdrawn from the internet.”

I expect to see an uptick in the suicide rate amongst middle aged to elderly people if the outage continues for any length of time.

Edit:  It appears Instagram is down as well.  Not surprising since they are owned by Facebook.  I will add social media influencers to the suicide watch list.  It seems they do their best work on Instagram.

4 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

I expect to see an uptick in the suicide rate amongst middle aged to elderly people if the outage continues for any length of time.

Edit:  It appears Instagram is down as well.  Not surprising since they are owned by Facebook.  I will add social media influencers to the suicide watch list.  It seems they do their best work on Instagram.

I actually rely on WhatsApp to connect with folks in the Caribbean and Europe - Good luck with that today....

past the time for The NEXT Thing

FB offered for Free an upgrade to what AOL dreamed of creating sooooo long ago

FB is NOT the Interwebz just a Super Mall off the information Hwy

The daz of thought freedumb on FB are OVER

as well as all the platforms google now and shall own/control

RADIO HANOI on hemorrhoids

the Interwebs were Fantastic with Greatness and Pitfalls

But the Greatness has been patched along with the loopholes

Your Source of Actual Real Information (What History Books were intended to be)

is not more than a Jerry Springer propaganda shit show owned/controlled by those hell bent on controlling "YOU"

Get back on the Actual Internet before it is Closed

Hehe

Using anything Facebook or Facebook-owned is the societal equivalent of buying stolen goods or sending money to the NRA.  

Just because What'sApp is convenient, so what.  Maybe it's time to "suffer" a little inconvenience for the greater good.   

Don't swipe right or left.  If you want to meet someone, join a club.

Buy local or ask your retailer to order it for you.  let Amazon wither and die.  Let Walmart wither and die.  

Get your news from people who are professional journalists, on paper, on line or on air.  

Use your phone. 

Delete your account.

I like it for keeping a pulse on our community, our end of the county, the local and regional sailing community, and keeping in contact with old childhood friends and classmates, as well as service buddies, Commands and Battalion Groups, workmates and most importantly family - as well as Facetiming with family, friends, Vets, and SAers. Ignore the stupid schitt, questionable sources,the Trumpers, anti-vaxers and anti-maskers.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Using anything Facebook or Facebook-owned is the societal equivalent of buying stolen goods or sending money to the NRA.  

Just because What'sApp is convenient, so what.  Maybe it's time to "suffer" a little inconvenience for the greater good.   

Don't swipe right or left.  If you want to meet someone, join a club.

Buy local or ask your retailer to order it for you.  let Amazon wither and die.  Let Walmart wither and die.  

Get your news from people who are professional journalists, on paper, on line or on air.  

Use your phone. 

Delete your account. You First! 

Oh my, the microtyrant rears his puny head... It's all for the greater good indeed. 

• Like 1

The only thing I would miss is Bob Perry's fanclub page - dunno who started it or maintains it but people all over the world post photos of their boats sailing, being refitted etc. Bob is doing video interviews with other designers like Charlie Morgan - makes for a pleasant read/view. I really don't care what my family or friends had for dinner but not bothering to mention that.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

No, he's 37.  

37 is middle aged.  Imagine a 90 year lifespan.  0-30 is young, 31 - 60 is middle, 61-90 is old.  Anything over 90 is either icing on the cake or a shithole, depending on whether you are enjoying this years.

32 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

Oh my, the microtyrant rears his puny head... It's all for the greater good indeed. 

You're welcome.  Glad you got that out of your system.

I'm so confused....

Anything anything interesting happens in my life, I share it with all my "friends" on facebook.

How do I let them know how I feel about this.... if I can't post it on facebook?

#SoConfused

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I’m just glad SA didn’t shut down @ the Same-time/Again!

fifU

• Like 1

Whine whine whine 

Facebook is a great tool fir a variety of purposes. 

assembling our 59th reunion was so fantastically simple because we primarily used a Facebook group. 

certainly some people waste endless hours

others get what they want and  leave. 

there are always haters. I remember,  from way back in my dating years, people telling me how awful was my favorite bar. Not for me it wasn’t!!!  
it was like a smorgasbord of great looking horny chicks. 

• Like 1

Lets hope it stays down....

Coming down to the nuts and bolts (on which everything runs, including this place) it appears some numbnuts team did a global upgrade of the edge routers including a BGP protocol update, without sandboxing it first.  It took out the DNS servers too, so it was a truly major fustercluck.

I can't imagine the all-hands response to that one all across the globe, trying to roll back to a previous safe version with a million hits a second coming in.  Those guys deserve big dollars.

The first crew, not so much.

More on that. What a nightmare for the thousands of struggling IT guys.

"From trusted source: Person on FB recovery effort said the outage was from a routine BGP update gone wrong. But the update blocked remote users from reverting changes, and people with physical access didn't have network/logical access. So blocked at both ends from reversing it,"

To add to the fun, many FB employees called in to fix the problem found that the remotely-accessed security systems on the datacenters had locked them out.  Oh boy...

• Like 1

I actually rely on WhatsApp to connect with folks in the Caribbean and Europe - Good luck with that today....

I loaded Signal a while back. It's the same as WhatsApp and a surprising number of people have either migrated over or have both. 

• Like 1

More on that. What a nightmare for the thousands of struggling IT guys.

Oh snap.  

Any speculation on a disgruntled employee making an "innocent coding error"?  :ph34r:

11 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

past the time for The NEXT Thing

FB offered for Free an upgrade to what AOL dreamed of creating sooooo long ago

FB is NOT the Interwebz just a Super Mall off the information Hwy

The daz of thought freedumb on FB are OVER

as well as all the platforms google now and shall own/control

RADIO HANOI on hemorrhoids

the Interwebs were Fantastic with Greatness and Pitfalls

But the Greatness has been patched along with the loopholes

Your Source of Actual Real Information (What History Books were intended to be)

is not more than a Jerry Springer propaganda shit show owned/controlled by those hell bent on controlling "YOU"

Get back on the Actual Internet before it is Closed

I get banned here on SA for denigrating the acting (poorly) VP. No surprise that the computing power of FB (I am a 3 or 4 time or more, denizen of Facebook jail) will cull out any who have a view outside the narrow confines of the owner.

34 minutes ago, warbird said:

I get banned here on SA for denigrating the acting (poorly) VP. No surprise that the computing power of FB (I am a 3 or 4 time or more, denizen of Facebook jail) will cull out any who have a view outside the narrow confines of the owner.

Stupidity VS intelligence are not matters of opinion or "Alternative views".

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

av5bgGW_460swp.webp

Zuck looking at his IT team

ayMypNq_460swp.webp

:lol:

Reminds me part of my USN hitch on a old….old…..guided missile destroyer. Was a radar tech for the Tartar surface to air missile system. Worked on the missile guidance and tracking radar. When that radar went down…..as the only real air defense system on the ship, it’s repair time was a really big deal. All hands in the radar gang worked 24/7 till it was fixed. Even the weps division CPO rolled up his sleeves and tried to help. One particularly hot….hot…..stretch the radar shit the bed. So we’re at about 36 hours of troubleshooting no sleep, wearing only shorts, sweat stained schematics speared on every horizontal surface, and eating stuff we brought up from the mess deck and in walks the Division Officer resplendent in his khakis complete with hat. Just pulled his butter bars off and replaced them with his silver jg’s. He looks over several shoulders and announces “what’s wrong?” Our 1st class PO looks up with exactly the look on Zuckerbergs face in that picture. He says through gritted teeth “well……Mr. xyz….if we knew that we’d fix it”. Mister jg says “well……how long till it’s fixed?” Our 1st Class says still with gritted teeth and now open contempt “well……..if we knew what was wrong……we’d have a good idea how long it will take to fix it as long as we have the spares on board.” A pause while that sinks in and Mister jg says “well……do we have the spares onboard?” Just before the 1st Class earns a Captains Mast, the CPO grabs him by the arm and walks him out of the radar room while saying “Mister jg, it’s awful hot in there, come on out on deck and I can explain it all to you,” We all smiled at the 1st Class….he shrugged and we went back to work. I learned A LOT about the actual chain of command that day. That look brought it all back………

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Bowgirl said:

I loaded Signal a while back. It's the same as WhatsApp and a surprising number of people have either migrated over or have both. 

Also have signal, the folks I need to work with, not so much. In spite of my trying to get them to add it to the list of comms apps.

15 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How many $billion did weird hair guy lose today?

I read on a financial blog his worth dropped 6 billion due to the stock hit.

But do not feel sorry for him as he still has 115 billion bucks to ease the pain...

and I do not believe the DNS corruption story FB is peddling.  They are too damn big to employee network idiots who cannot restore/reboot servers anywhere in the world.  New software versions are tested over and over prior to rolling them into production, and at their size, he makes 1 call and the network vendor has their A-team engineers doing the work.   I think they either tighten down security, made some dubious research "disappear" before today's hearing in Congress, and/or added logging to ensure they are not exposed again by a whistle blower.  The fact employees were locked out of their internal accounts bolsters my belief.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

I read on a financial blog his worth dropped 6 billion due to the stock hit.

But do not feel sorry for him as he still has 115 billion bucks to ease the pain...

and I do not believe the DNS corruption story FB is peddling.  They are too damn big to employee network idiots who cannot restore/reboot servers anywhere in the world.  New software versions are tested over and over prior to rolling them into production, and at their size, he makes 1 call and the network vendor has their A-team engineers doing the work.   I think they either tighten down security, made some dubious research "disappear" before today's hearing in Congress, and/or added logging to ensure they are not exposed again by a whistle blower.  The fact employees were locked out of their internal accounts bolsters my belief.

From what cloudflare posted, it appears the BGP routes were withdrawn. No BGP, no DNS. I believe it was instagram that still had DNS hosted on AWS. You could do a dig/nslookup, get an IP, but no routes were available, so they essentially were unplugged from the net. Add to this the fact that without BGP/DNS, internal BookFace systems were also out, as were IP Phones, Security keys for doors/data center access. Biggest issue was the loss of internal systems that were needed to mitigate / fix everything.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

15 hours ago, Bowgirl said:

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How many $billion did weird hair guy lose today?

I read about mid-afternoon that Zuck lost $7 billion of his worth due to the whistleblower story and the shutdown. Ouch!

1 minute ago, Rasputin22 said:

I read about mid-afternoon that Zuck lost $7 billion of his worth due to the whistleblower story and the shutdown. Ouch!

Yay!

5 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Yay!

What I read yesterday must have been Australian dollars.

This from Bloomberg

Mark Zuckerberg’s personal wealth has fallen by more than $6 billion in a few hours, knocking him down a notch on the list of the world’s richest people, after a whistleblower came forward and outages took Facebook Inc.’s flagship products offline.

A selloff sent the social-media giant’s stock plummeting 4.9% on Monday, adding to a drop of about 15% since mid-September.

Max

Remember this app started with a research grant from the CIA after Peter Theil did the initial investment.

https://thehackernews.com/2011/04/truth-about-facebook-cia-us-government.html

and zdnet which is not tin foil hat folks  https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-and-the-cia/

or the Herald  https://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/facebook-the-cia-conspiracy/DJV2SVOSNF4NX7MJ4C22JSIDLM/

If you pay close attention, you know that the  intell folks like to tell you a story.  Not THE story.   A story..

Think about that russian sub Clark Gable brought up with his ship (global explorer) for them.  The cover story was looking for methane on the sea bottom.   Or Ballard's Titanic expedition which really was to find 2 subs for the military.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/titanic-discovery-classified-nuclear-sub/index.html

Yes it is a plausible story.  But the timing as the whistle blower is giving testimony to Congress TODAY, makes the coincidences too unnatural.

And Zuck knows Congress is looking to clamp down on tech companies. 

One of the 4 biggest tech companies in the world who makes their money maintaining tens of thousands of servers so flunkies can check who their ex- is screwing does not suddenly go tits up.  The same folks who have been designing their own compute environment for close to 20 years without the help of the computer industry.

And if anything happens, they have processes to restore last night/week's data files within an hour. Have to in order to survive a SOX compliance audit as THIS IS THEIR BUSINESS.

But you believe what you want to believe.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

If you pay close attention, you know that the  intell folks like to tell you a story.  Not THE story.   A story..

Think about that russian sub Clark Gable brought up with his ship (global explorer) for them.  The cover story was looking for methane on the sea bottom.   Or Ballard's Titanic expedition which really was to find 2 subs for the military.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/titanic-discovery-classified-nuclear-sub/index.html

I think you have conflated your conflations with this statement above. Fact Check on Aisle 1...

The recovery ship was the GLOMAR EXPLORER and it was built by Howard Hughes. Clark Gable did a movie about a Japanese sub but how did you ever connect to Ballard and the Titanic?  You have rolled about 6 decades into one statement.

http://maritime-executive.com/media/images/article/Photos/Miscellaneous/Original/Glomar%20Explorer%20Moon%20Pool-update2.jpg

https://www.maritime-executive.com/features/grand-finale-for-infamous-glomar-explorer-part-1_1

19 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

But the timing as the whistle blower is giving testimony to Congress TODAY, makes the coincidences too unnatural.

This. 

I don't believe in coincidences like this......

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bugsy said:
21 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

But the timing as the whistle blower is giving testimony to Congress TODAY, makes the coincidences too unnatural.

This. 

He wase cleaneng the plaice foire inspectione aftere he refuttes the whissleblowere...............                    :)

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

knocking him down a notch on the list of the world’s richest people

Oh, that's gotta hurt.

That's like most of us losing about $700.

Actually, a lot less than that - for him it's an accounting entry, for us $700 would probably be noticed.

Call me when the prick is down to his last Billion.

I think you have conflated your conflations with this statement above. Fact Check on Aisle 1...

The recovery ship was the GLOMAR EXPLORER and it was built by Howard Hughes. Clark Gable did a movie about a Japanese sub but how did you ever connect to Ballard and the Titanic?  You have rolled about 6 decades into one statement.

http://maritime-executive.com/media/images/article/Photos/Miscellaneous/Original/Glomar Explorer Moon Pool-update2.jpg

https://www.maritime-executive.com/features/grand-finale-for-infamous-glomar-explorer-part-1_1

He paid close attention.

Clark Gable did a movie about a Japanese sub but how did you ever connect to Ballard

He tooke downe the MoMo in Bungo Straites with a bowe shotte, then the sub that no oune niew wase theire..........            :)

3 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Max

Remember this app started with a research grant from the CIA after Peter Theil did the initial investment.

and zdnet which is not tin foil hat folks  https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebook-and-the-cia/

or the Herald  https://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/facebook-the-cia-conspiracy/DJV2SVOSNF4NX7MJ4C22JSIDLM/

Yes it is a plausible story.  But the timing as the whistle blower is giving testimony to Congress TODAY, makes the coincidences too unnatural.

One of the 4 biggest tech companies in the world who makes their money maintaining tens of thousands of servers so flunkies can check who their ex- is screwing does not suddenly go tits up.  The same folks who have been designing their own compute environment for close to 20 years without the help of the computer industry.

And if anything happens, they have processes to restore last night/week's data files within an hour. Have to in order to survive a SOX compliance audit as THIS IS THEIR BUSINESS.

Plenty of conspiracy theories to be had about the why, I simply pointed out that all BGP announcements were withdrawn and DNS was therefore unreachable.

I'll leave it to the tin hat crowd to figure out the real backstory as to who did what and why.

4 hours ago, Bugsy said:

This. 

If you believe in coincidence you’re just not paying attention.

1 hour ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Plenty of conspiracy theories to be had about the why, I simply pointed out that all BGP announcements were withdrawn and DNS was therefore unreachable.

I'll leave it to the tin hat crowd to figure out the real backstory as to who did what and why.

Hmmm, where's Random view on this subject?

14 minutes ago, hobot said:

Hmmm, where's Random view on this subject?

He has the firemen making a video and uploading it to YouTube.  Those guys know everything!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Max

aYozYgx_460swp.webp

23 hours ago, WhoaTed said:

If you believe in coincidence you’re just not paying attention.

and pissing yet more gasoline onto the fire:

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/its-just-not-true-zuckerberg-responds-claims-facebook-puts-profits-over-people

Love to know what was scrubbed during that downtime at Facebook when nobody could see.

Now we have Markie saying "Nothing here folks, just move along.."

Can only hope some FB employees with a conscience have whatever was blown away hidden away on a thumb drive "Just in case".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

To some, it's a lifeline. To me, it's something I last looked at about 7 months ago.

A lifeline to where? I can’t even imagine how some social media thingie can be that important in someone’s life. 

43 minutes ago, Point Break said:

A lifeline to where? I can’t even imagine how some social media thingie can be that important in someone’s life. 

That's the way some families keep track of each other when they are far apart. I can't begrudge them that.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I'm only on Facefart Because, My parents , sister's + families and grand children , brother + family, are 200 to 400 miles away, plus 1 nephew in Canada. Then there are two pairs of Uncles and Aunts in Australia + their children, grand children , great grand children. Plus some more family in NZ, NI.. it's the only real time ish way of communcation, that and messenger.. Phone calls used to cost a fortune..

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's the way some families keep track of each other when they are far apart. I can't begrudge them that.

Agree with that completely. It’s the reason we use it as well. But if it went away…….nowadays it seems there are plenty of alternative means to stay in contact. Heck if you have an internet connection you can zoom for free…..anyway…….seems like a bit of a tempest in a teapot to me. 

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Agree with that completely. It’s the reason we use it as well. But if it went away…….nowadays it seems there are plenty of alternative means to stay in contact. Heck if you have an internet connection you can zoom for free…..anyway…….seems like a bit of a tempest in a teapot to me. 

The fact that Instagram causes teenage girls to have sever angst, including suicidal thoughts, makes it a bit more than a tempest in a teapot, IMHO.......

Instagram doesn't cause teenage suicide, people cause teenage suicide.

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

The fact that Instagram causes teenage girls to have sever angst, including suicidal thoughts, makes it a bit more than a tempest in a teapot, IMHO.......

• Like 1
On 10/4/2021 at 1:55 PM, MaxHeadroom said:

two words for you: Tele gram...

5 minutes ago, Trovão said:

In case of power outages....

avatars-000258945121-03zlna-t500x500.jpg

See? We've got your back Mr headroom!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, hobot said:

In case of power outages....

avatars-000258945121-03zlna-t500x500.jpg

;)

1 hour ago, Trovão said:

Don't disagree. But when most of the folks I deal with in Europe or the Caribbean use WhatsApp as the primary means of text/voice comms, Ya gotta go with what they use. 

10 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Don't disagree. But when most of the folks I deal with in Europe or the Caribbean use WhatsApp as the primary means of text/voice comms, Ya gotta go with what they use. 

Many people I know here use WhatsApp.  When I was visiting in the US most of my friends there said they had never heard of it.

One big advantage to WhatsApp for the paranoid among you is that it's end to end encrypted.

• Like 2
On 10/4/2021 at 4:33 PM, sledracr said:

I'm so confused....

Anything anything interesting happens in my life, I share it with all my "friends" on FB.

How do I let them know how I feel about this.... if I can't post it on FB?

#SoConfused

How can you do anything of interest or important , if you always looking at your phone/FB?

And what you think is interesting to you is just bullshit to your Fake Friends ,

I was on FB once years ago, what a nightmare, friends of friends reporting om my doings, A lot of lawyers use it in divorce cases. I've heard people not getting jobs from their posting Then the Z man makes $$$ on subliminal ads , to get you to buy things or worst how to vote. Now young girls are killing them self's, do to negative postings. 

The Z-man is the anti-christ  

On 10/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, Point Break said:

I buy and sell stuff on FB Marketplace all the time. Just for fun & hobbies, but others depend on it for business.

I used to use craigslist for the same things but it's gotten out of control spammy. The FB groups are local and moderated, so I can be pretty sure it's a real person with a real item and not too far away.

As for the outage, Brietbart and Salon both reacted (in articles posted to FB) by saying FB needs to be regulated more. As usual, I'm not so happy to see bipartisan unity.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:52 AM, billy backstay said:

I disagree…..mostly. FB doesn’t cause teen suicide. It’s a convenient “blame” for a very complex and often impetuous human emotion. If it were not FB, it would be any other “reason”. Instagram, an email, the other kids at the lunch table, a magazine……..the solution is not banning or regulating all things that might upset a teenager, but raising teenagers with tools to deal with disappointment and life’s difficulties. Even then…….suicide will take some that you swore had the tools and all the advantages. Blaming some social media is a convenient way to place “blame” and therefore “fix” something that we simply don’t always understand.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

I buy and sell stuff on FB Marketplace all the time. Just for fun & hobbies, but others depend on it for business.

I used to use craigslist for the same things but it's gotten out of control spammy. The FB groups are local and moderated, so I can be pretty sure it's a real person with a real item and not too far away.

As for the outage, Brietbart and Salon both reacted (in articles posted to FB) by saying FB needs to be regulated more. As usual, I'm not so happy to see bipartisan unity.

Mrs PB uses marketplace as well. She really has found some jewels amongst the junk. She says…..and I agree…..that it’s nice that something we have no further use for finds a place for continued use instead of just throwing it away. The $ spent or gained is minuscule, that’s not the point.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Many people I know here use WhatsApp.  When I was visiting in the US most of my friends there said they had never heard of it.

One big advantage to WhatsApp for the paranoid among you is that it's end to end encrypted.

Our daughter in England put us on to WhatsApp and we now use it exclusively to talk to her.

It replaced Skype because it's a bit better.

• Like 2