J/97 Spin Halyards Crossed Inside Mast

I have a new-to-me J/97. One oddity is that the starboard spin halyard (as it exits the top of the mast) exits the bottom of the mast on the port side and is run to the port side clutches. Likewise, the port spin halyard (as it exits the top of the mast) exits the bottom of the mast on the starboard side.

Beyond being unintuitive, I would think that this would cause chafe at the point that the halyards cross over in the mast. I plan to rerun the halyards so that they enter and exit on the same side, but before I do that is there something that I may be missing (i.e., should I leave it alone)?

It is done for racing with port mark roundings so that the mast person is windward and not to leeward.  It's done on most every race boat with port/starboard halyards.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, sailman said:

It is done for racing with port mark roundings so that the mast person is windward and not to leeward.  It's done on most every race boat with port/starboard halyards.

So you would choose which halyard to use based on the direction of the mark rounding? My two spin halyards are one over the other but we do use the starboard exit one to keep the mast person on the windward side when jumping the halyard. 

It depends on your mast setup.  Yours sounds like a fractional rig setup.  Typical setups have three halyards, two wings and a center.  Old school had four.