under 100,000 miles( ot close )

and under $20,000

considering

Toyota Tacoma

Dodge Ram

ford f150

maybe  Chevy Colorado?

thoughts ? 

Not a daily driver  This will be to haul sailing gear and possibly fit out for some overlanding camping 

1 minute ago, Ventucky Red said:

Focus here, the other two are crap.  

I thought that. 
the taco would make a great camping And  all around Go anywhere truck. The f150 could be had for less money me thinks 

48 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Well not new just new to me. 

must have :

crew cab

4wd

and under $20,000

considering

Toyota Tacoma

Dodge Ram

ford f150

I bought my Ford pickup with 250,000 on the meter. $4500 four years ago.  Only needed a $200 clutch and an $40 A/C blower motor so far.

The advantage of high mileage Ford trucks is that they remain the very same shitty clunky vehicle that they were when brand new. 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, dacapo said:

I thought that. 
the taco would make a great camping And  all around Go anywhere truck. The f150 could be had for less money me thinks 

I owned one of each, bought them with 80-90K miles.  Neither was a crew cab.  Both were incredibly reliable and I ended keeping each for 6-7 years putting about 50K on each.  Make sure to measure your garage to ensure they will fit.

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

Or is this a pipe dream to find  under 100k and at 20k in price ?

At the moment yes.  Used vehicle prices are up 30-50% over 2019 prices 

Ie in 2020 I was offered 8 grand for my jeep renegade.  In 2021 I was offered 11 grand for the same vehicle.

Yhat is how screwed up the markets are.

I bought the absolutely cheapest Tacoma in Southern California new in 2019. Something like $22K. Could sell it used now for more than I paid for it new. 2wd, not an option to be had. Didn't even have the jumpseats. 

It's OK. It's not good. It's not bad, it's just OK. Gutless. Would rather drive my old 1998 Ranger, but at well over 200K on the odo the Ranger was a project that I had no time for. 

You cannot find a 4wd Tacoma around here for under $20K unless you're willing to be right around or above 100K miles. 

I've got to the point it's either a cheapie beater or something with a warranty. 

I'd focus on the F-150. More were sold, and they don't have the real or imagined "Toyota" buzz about them. 

• Like 1

I was gonna say "Bardolini Hi-A"s.... But nah.

I like F150s of the early 90s era.

Where you live finding a 'Yota or a Ford w/o significant rust may be an issue.

If I was a wealthy man, I'd buy a Toyota new, and keep it shiny and well maintained. That's another issue when buying used. You never really know what previous owners did, and how fucked up their mechanic was when he put diesel fuel in the transmission for 25 miles before it seized up....

Might consider the long Expedition. Mine is a 2013. I can lay the third row and second row down and easily get a 4x8 sheet inside flat……and covered/locked up. 4x4. Tows. Racks on top easily handle my sabot mast and SUP’S. Put a box on the rack and ALL the ski stuff rides up there on the way to Mammoth. Put up the seats and haul about 8 people, 6 very comfortably. It’s been a gem for me at 70K miles with a few minor repairs. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, peragrin said:

At the moment yes.  Used vehicle prices are up 30-50% over 2019 prices 

Ie in 2020 I was offered 8 grand for my jeep renegade.  In 2021 I was offered 11 grand for the same vehicle.

Yhat is how screwed up the markets are.

Yep. I just a 2004 Taco with 295k miles 

they’re asking $9900 

wtf?

12 hours ago, El Borracho said:

I bought my Ford pickup with 250,000 on the meter. $4500 four years ago.  Only needed a $200 clutch and an $40 A/C blower motor so far.

The advantage of high mileage Ford trucks is that they remain the very same shitty clunky vehicle that they were when brand new. 

MIL has a 1996 Ford F150 that Ive been trying to buy for 3 years bow and she wont sell it..........

I dont know why, it hasnt left the property in 3 years.   Needs new tired, tune up, heater core   I offered her $1000  as its gonna cost me a few thousand to get her road worthy.....the upside is it only has 49,000 miles on it

I was very happy with my ‘13 Ram, aka “The Cowboy Cadillac”, until it recently developed the Hemi tick related to the lifters. Now I can’t recommend them at all. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Point Break said:

Just don’t buy the short bed….you’ll be sorry. 

Especially if you might want to sleep in the back while camping.

My Taco needed a new tranny at about 110,000 miles.  Had the recalls done for frame (replacement not needed) and leaf springs.  I replaced the exterior light assemblies due to hazing of the lenses that would not buff clear for long.  Rear is very easy, front is a total PITA and you have to access a bolt through the wheel well. HullTruth and SurfTalk both have forums dedicated to trucks so you might want to look there.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

NO Colorado!!

?...looking at a 2017 with V-6, 6-speed manual 24,000 miles right now...seems real sweet...did a 100 mile test drive...what's the catch?

• Like 1

Not really an answer but I had a 2008 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed with 114K on it when I went into a coma 2 years ago. Bought it 2011 for 16k with 20 k miles on it. My wife sold it for 4k while I was out of it because she thought I shouldn't have a stick when I got better. Closest I have come to a divorce in 30+ years, she has also lost the ability to sell my vehicles in the future. She lost the right to drive due to a medical decision so I sold her Subaru out of spite.  

As far a a recommendation I have been married for 30+ years I have owned a '86 MR2, a '95 Tacoma 4cyl/5spd and the '08 Tacoma 4cyl/5spd in that time used the proceeds of the Subi sale to by a brand new Tacoma crew cab had to get the 6cyl/auto this time. I highly recommend the Toyota even at a premium they are bullet proof. 

I had to the leaf spring recall on the 2008, other than that only oil changes and regular maint. on all three. I would still have the 95 Tacoma if that person hadn't run a red light and t-boned me in 2011. 

1 hour ago, chum said:

I was very happy with my ‘13 Ram, aka “The Cowboy Cadillac”, until it recently developed the Hemi tick related to the lifters. Now I can’t recommend them at all. 

My '06 Ram has the 4.7L V8.  Very unexciting engine, but it has been very reliable.

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

NO Colorado!!

Why??  Srsly asking as I gotta do something before nov...  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, shaggy said:

Why??  Srsly asking as I gotta do something before nov...  

not built as good as the others. Lot of transmission problems 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

not built as good as the others. Lot of transmission problems 

Looking at one with the manual 6-speed...haven't read about any probs...do you know something different?

20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Might consider the long Expedition. Mine is a 2013. I can lay the third row and second row down and easily get a 4x8 sheet inside flat……and covered/locked up. 4x4. Tows. Racks on top easily handle my sabot mast and SUP’S. Put a box on the rack and ALL the ski stuff rides up there on the way to Mammoth. Put up the seats and haul about 8 people, 6 very comfortably. It’s been a gem for me at 70K miles with a few minor repairs. 

Word. Better all around than a pickup by far IMHO. BTDT, now on my 3rd Expedition after going the pickup route for a short while 20 years ago. My current ride is the first long one I’ve had and yeah, 4x8’s lay right in there no problem. Versatility plus.

• Like 1

Stay away from compact pick ups like the Colorado. Lots of wheel base is your friend!

Go big US pick up or go Taco - if you have to! I killed the Tundra off my list right away - the Toyota premium isn't worth it for a full sized working vehicle! For a glam, toy pick up, well, that's your call...

I own a used '16 Chevy Silverado 4 door with their 350 V8. I got it over a used  F150 V6 with similar power, higher towing capacity, higher price and 10K more miles, which didn't live up to expectations when I test drove it - it sucked.

The Chevy test drive blew it away!

YMMV...

Why anyone would own a pick up not needing it's utility still escapes me as they suck as a daily - unless on the highway with cruise control on!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Looking at one with the manual 6-speed...haven't read about any probs...do you know something different?

6 speed good automatic no go

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Liquid said:

Stay away from compact pick ups like the Colorado. Lots of wheel base is your friend!

Go big US pick up or go Taco - if you have to! I killed the Tundra off my list right away - the Toyota premium isn't worth it for a full sized working vehicle! For a glam, toy pick up, well, that's your call...

I own a used '16 Chevy Silverado 4 door with their 350 V8. I got it over a used  F150 V6 with similar power, higher towing capacity, higher price and 10K more miles, which didn't live up to expectations when I test drove it - it sucked.

The Chevy test drive blew it away!

YMMV...

Why anyone would own a pick up not needing it's utility still escapes me as they suck as a daily - unless on the highway with cruise control on!

My mileage does vary...I have an '05 Suburban with 325,000 miles on it, which knock on wood, runs like a champ... chock-a -block with pretty much all the tools I need on a daily basis...like the Excursions, I can (barely) squeeze in a full sheet of plywood, because I've got all the seats folded down, and can fit up to 12' stock inside if I go all the way to the windshield or full 16' stock or 40' extension ladder on roof racks...try all that shit with the mini-fuckin'-beds that come with "full-sized pickups" these days...this is the 2nd 'Burb I've had, and much prefer it over the full size trucks I previously used (all of which had actual 8' beds) because my shit stays dry and I can lock it up...for larger, long term jobs I can tow my 14' enclosed trailer to the job (and park if necessary) or if I'm bringing materials, my 16' flat bed...so basically I've got all the "grunt" covered...the Colorado I'm looking at is to augment 'Burb...maybe tow the power skiff to the ramp...throw the paddleboards in without having to climb up on racks...or for The Missus to make runs for mulch and garden stuff...or to daily drive to jobs once my enclosed trailer is on site and maybe save a few bucks in gas and retain the ability to throw some materials or a forgotten big tool in back...so in my situation a mid-size does appear to be appropriate...like I said, ran it on a 100 mile test drive...mixed highway/in town and got 27mpg...really liked the 6-speed stick shift...I'm kinda sold on it...

5 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

6 speed good automatic no go

Gracias!...thought I saw you with one in a different thread...looking for the voice of experience...really impressed with the one I'm looking at...

Owned a Tundra work truck, 8’ bed, regular cab, ladder rack for 12 yr. with no problems except no room for the grandkids. Now own a new Ridgeline. Very happy. Good mileage, 25 mpg +, great interior space and comes with fold up rear seats, dual action tailgate and the storage space beneath the trunk. I thought I would miss the long bed but with the addition of roof racks and a Yakima long arm I can carry all the long things I need. Drove the new Ranger and a Canyon. Neither has a bed wide enough for a pallet to sit flat.

I have nothing to offer regarding the original topic, however any time I can post a photo or three of my truck.....

i-wwSLcLg-XL.jpg

06 2500, 5.9 Cummins,  6 speed manual. 192K, only a couple hiccups in 15 years. I truly love my truck.

i-8F3hGQK-L.jpg

i-85vD2gq-X2.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Owned a Tundra work truck, 8’ bed, regular cab, ladder rack for 12 yr. with no problems except no room for the grandkids. Now own a new Ridgeline. Very happy. Good mileage, 25 mpg +, great interior space and comes with fold up rear seats, dual action tailgate and the storage space beneath the trunk. I thought I would miss the long bed but with the addition of roof racks and a Yakima long arm I can carry all the long things I need. Drove the new Ranger and a Canyon. Neither has a bed wide enough for a pallet to sit flat.

Don't forget the boom box bed! A definite plus for us geriatric rockers!

44 minutes ago, cyclone said:

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice…

• Like 2

Our 02 Frontier is all we need, but if I were looking for a new full size truck, it would be the new all electric F-150.  Anyone driven one yet, or are they not quite out yet?

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Our 02 Frontier is all we need, but if I were looking for a new full size truck, it would be the new all electric F-150.  Anyone driven one yet, or are they not quite out yet?

This.

2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Frunks are sexy

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

I have nothing to offer regarding the original topic, however any time I can post a photo or three of my truck.....

i-wwSLcLg-XL.jpg

06 2500, 5.9 Cummins,  6 speed manual. 192K, only a couple hiccups in 15 years. I truly love my truck.

i-8F3hGQK-L.jpg

i-85vD2gq-X2.jpg

Mine's a 2005 3500, same color, same config. I'm the second owner. The first one put a lot of highway miles on her and towed a trailer carrying his 4WD jeep. Just about the perfect use pattern. When I got her with ~100K miles, I replaced all rubber items (15 years is 15 years) and put a 2um secondary fuel filter. She's been pretty bulletproof. 

44 minutes ago, DarthSailor said:

Frunks are sexy

I've driven them, but then again I was also in the Body and Assembly line a week ago.......

Early 2022.  Rivian will be 'out' a couple months before that, which is why they are screaming about being the 'first' production electric pickup - as if that really matters.

Of course they are for two different markets.  The F-150 is for people who actually use their truck.  The Rivian is a glorified grocery-getter.  The first and most obvious signal is the whole in-bed trunk thing (like the ridgeline).  Explain how you get to that with a yard of mulch or gravel in the bed.  *snicker*.  Putting the spare in the bed?  Equally stupid.

40 minutes ago, IStream said:

Mine's a 2005 3500, same color, same config. I'm the second owner. The first one put a lot of highway miles on her and towed a trailer carrying his 4WD jeep. Just about the perfect use pattern. When I got her with ~100K miles, I replaced all rubber items (15 years is 15 years) and put a 2um secondary fuel filter. She's been pretty bulletproof

In 15 years I only broke down once. Long ass road trip back east, out on Cape Cod, in heavy traffic. Lost a bearing in the water pump which flung the serpentine belt, which was good because the loss of power steering got me off the road before it got hot.

A couple other bolt on items but nothing else that left me parked. 

5 hours ago, cyclone said:

What are you talking about? A new ranger is 44" between wheels  standard pallet is 42" wide.  48" is standard only for certain things. It is also 48" wide above the wheels. So I can fit 4x8 sheets in the bed just fine.  Only stick out about a foot past the tailgate.  

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

In 15 years I only broke down once. Long ass road trip back east, out on Cape Cod, in heavy traffic. Lost a bearing in the water pump which flung the serpentine belt, which was good because the loss of power steering got me off the road before it got hot.

A couple other bolt on items but nothing else that left me parked. 

When is route 6 on Cape Cod ever not heavy traffic.

Wintertime in a snowstorm perhaps at 3 AM?

these might help up you picking up

1. Is that pneumonia in my lungs or has your smile just left me breathless?
  2. You Smell So Good, Is That Purell You’re Wearing?
  3. I’m just a boy, standing 6 feet away from a girl. Asking you to maybe move back another foot. Thanks.
  4. Are you an N95 mask? Cause I want you on my face.
  5. Cough here often?
  6. You can’t spell virus without U and I
  7. I saw you from across the bar. Stay there.
  8. “I really can’t stay” / “Baby it’s COVID-19 outside”
  9. If COVID-19 doesn’t take you out, can I?
  10. Do you need toilet paper because I will be your Prince Charmin.
  11. Hey, I wash my hands when there’s no pandemic too ;).
  12. Hey Babe! Can I ship you a drink?
  13. Even during the corona pandemic, the most contagious thing is still your smile.
  14. Is it hot in here or is it just our fevers and shortness of breath?
  15. One-ply? Two-ply? Neither. The only thing I’m looking for is your re-ply
  16. Is that hand sanitizer in your pocket, or are you just happy to be within 6 feet of me?
  17. What if I told you I have **whispers** “60 rolls of ultra-soft toilet paper”
  18. Since all the public libraries are closed, I’m checking you out instead.
  19. Are you COVID-19 because if I had you near me I wouldn’t leave the house for two weeks straight
  20. That mask brings out the beauty in your eyes.
  21. Wanna get closer than 6 feet?
  22. Girl, are you down with the sickness? Because oh WAH AH AH AH
  23. “Come on over, I’ll pay your fine if you get stopped”
  24. Can’t spell quarantine without u r a q t
  25. “We’re quarantined in the same house, your options are kind of limited.”
  26. Hypothetically speaking, if you were a restaurant who shut down dining-in, would you let me pick you up at the curb? See you tonight?
  27. The government says we need to stay 6 feet away but I want to give you 6 inches. (please don’t use this one)
  28. Can I take you with me and work you from home?
  29. I got a stimulus package that guaranteed to improve your economy.
  30. Our love is like COVID-19. No one saw it coming and we move fast.
  31. Hey baby, you come within 6 feet of here often?
  32. Stay home if you sicc. Come over if you thicc.
  33. Wanna play Coronavirus and get spread on hard surfaces?
  34. Are you looking for a naughty boy? Because I only washed my hands for 19 seconds
  35. Hey baby, are you a latex glove, because I want to put my hand inside you.
  36. Are you coming down with COVID-19? Because I want to flatten your curves.
  37. I like my virus like I like my women; easy to spread.
On 10/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, dacapo said:

Well not new just new to me. 

must have :

crew cab

4wd

and under $20,000

considering

Toyota Tacoma

Dodge Ram

ford f150

maybe  Chevy Colorado?

thoughts ? 

Not a daily driver  This will be to haul sailing gear and possibly fit out for some overlanding camping 

Ask G. maybe he would sell you his.

I’ve decided to push the MIL and buy her 97 Ford F-150. It’s a 10th gen crew cab v-6  4wd off-road 

looks good needs a ton of work but not body work.  No. rust it never left the yard or was on the road a lot to get salt in the undercarriage

some electrical problems

The windows don’t go down

The heater doesn’t work

The tires are dry rotted

it needs a new alternator

Engine needs a complete and total tuneup

there’s more rat shit in mouth shit inside the cab that makes us think the holy hi hell

But

but

there’s no exterior rust

there’s minimal rust on the frame

and there’s only 47,000 miles on the engine

and she’s forced me to pay her $1500  after I offered her $800

I figure new tires and wheels are going to set me back $1000

Windows I’m gonna try to fix myself

The heater is probably gonna run me close to five to $900

It needs a new radio it needs a new radio$200

The entire cabin Hass to be vacuumed and dry cleaned because it fucking smells awful

But I may get a

nice low mileage f150 that I could add a 3 inch lift to

35 inch all-terrain tires

The decked system to the bed 

A nice bed rack

A few LED lights and light bar

New front bumper with winch 

new rear bumper 

I have a pretty decent summertime vehicle that can tow up to 6000 pounds

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

I’ve decided to push the MIL and buy her 97 Ford F-150. It’s a 10th gen crew cab v-6  4wd off-road 

looks good needs a ton of work but not body work.  No. rust it never left the yard or was on the road a lot to get salt in the undercarriage

some electrical problems

The windows don’t go down

The heater doesn’t work

The tires are dry rotted

it needs a new alternator

Engine needs a complete and total tuneup

there’s more rat shit in mouth shit inside the cab that makes us think the holy hi hell

But

but

there’s no exterior rust

there’s minimal rust on the frame

and there’s only 47,000 miles on the engine

and she’s forced me to pay her $1500  after I offered her $800

I figure new tires and wheels are going to set me back $1000

Windows I’m gonna try to fix myself

The heater is probably gonna run me close to five to $900

It needs a new radio it needs a new radio$200

The entire cabin Hass to be vacuumed and dry cleaned because it fucking smells awful

But I may get a

nice low mileage f150 that I could add a 3 inch lift to

35 inch all-terrain tires

The decked system to the bed 

A nice bed rack

A few LED lights and light bar

New front bumper with winch 

new rear bumper 

I have a pretty decent summertime vehicle that can tow up to 6000 pounds

you low balled your mother law??  (jeez, don't search those terms in pornhub)

• Like 3

@dacapo Getting the smell out is always a problem...  Best of success.

Don't lift it.  People will say it rides "ok" on the freeway, but it never does.

35 minutes ago, chester said:

My MIL is A vicious woman. She expects me to lowball her because she comes in fucking way too high as if I’m a fucking stranger

she knows that the Kelley blue book value was about $3000.  So I lowballed her with the family price. She came back with $2000 Elle finally settled on a price. She knows I’m gonna have to spend at least $3000 to get this thing roadworthy and drivable. I told her I would offer  $3000 if the truck had new tires and the windows worked. And she said nope as is where is it’s all on me to fix

41 minutes ago, Windward said:

@dacapo Getting the smell out is always a problem...  Best of success.

Don't lift it.  People will say it rides "ok" on the freeway, but it never does.

I want to do a fair professional 3 inch lift. That includes new front springs new shocks and new  leaf  springs in the rear… done professionally. That will get me a 35 inch tire all-terrain that I can use on and off-road. The rear bumper is rusted so that will be replaced and I’m gonna get a forward front fender and rear bumper all black powder coated. Wern winch.  A bed rack. At some point a roof tent

43 minutes ago, chester said:

I bought a 2004 Volvo XC 70 cross country from her about six years ago. My jeep died and I was in desperate need of a car. Kelley blue book value was $5400. I offered her 2000 she told me not even close double that number. I paid her $4500. As I said she’s a vicious lady. my spouse got her Mercedes c300 as a gift a few months ago. And I am the most likable…

On 10/6/2021 at 8:32 AM, billy backstay said:

billy, billy, billy,   electronics aren't your thing...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dacapo said:

find a detailer and flip 'em a boat buck and tell him to make the interior pretty...    worth the money

• Like 2

Common for rodents to make a nest in the Ford A/C blower. They can get in there even if truck is closed up. Smell and no A/C is the result. Part of that Better Idea scheme. 

Oh and includ3d in the deal is an almost unused western snowplow she bough, installed and used once 5 years ago. Tore up her driveway( gravel) and never used it again.  If I can sell that we’re splitting the money

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

Oh and includ3d in the deal is an almost unused western snowplow she bough, installed and used once 5 years ago. Tore up her driveway( gravel) and never used it again.  If I can sell that we’re splitting the money

Plow and MIL, I won't go there, but somebody might.

Congrats on the truck, in the long-term, it sounds like the right decision.

On 10/5/2021 at 5:26 AM, dacapo said:

Yep. I just a 2004 Taco with 295k miles 

they’re asking $9900 

wtf?

I just sold a 2017 F250 crew cab with 12,500 miles on it for $46K.  Paid $45!  Used prices are high!

On 10/5/2021 at 10:37 PM, Grabbler said:

I bought a 2018 GMC Canyon, same as Colorado. There isn’t a specific recall for transmission shudder but if you tell a dealer that your transmission shudders they will put it on a lift, swap out the Trans fluid for a different synthetic fluid that does not attract moisture (the word escapes me), and not charge you because GM reimburses them. Easy peasy and I love the truck. Cost a bit more than 20k but worth it. 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2021 at 8:17 AM, robalex117 said:

I just sold a 2017 F250 crew cab with 12,500 miles on it for $46K.  Paid $45!  Used prices are high!

I've been looking for an F150  and that's what I'm finding. Four year old trucks are fetching what the owners paid for them new. And what new inventory there is sells at or above MSRP. I don't want a $60,000 truck that I should be able to buy for $50,000 or even a little less. I'm going to wait until next year when hopefully there is more inventory and it's not such an extreme seller's market. 

On 10/8/2021 at 9:41 PM, El Borracho said:

Common for rodents to make a nest in the Ford A/C blower. They can get in there even if truck is closed up. Smell and no A/C is the result. Part of that Better Idea scheme. 

the 00's tundras had a weird quirk,  somehow leaves would get down the vent and end up in the blower...  you have to take the blower apart every now and then to clean it out or you'd get a musty smell from the decaying leaves..   also, leaves would get caught at the hood hinge joint and side fenders at the back of the engine compartment,  they end up accumulating down inside the fender behind the plastic mud flap...    just fucking weird

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Dang, I was hoping this thread was about an electric guitar

- DSK

Just gotta a pair of  P90’s at an estate sale. Weird they were sitting on a table at an estate sale. Got em for $75 for the pair look to be late 60’’s 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

Just gotta a pair of  P90’s at an estate sale. Weird they were sitting on a table at an estate sale. Got em for $75 for the pair look to be late 60’’s 

Foire thet tinny sounde ritte?

4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

the 00's tundras had a weird quirk,  somehow leaves would get down the vent and end up in the blower...  you have to take the blower apart every now and then to clean it out or you'd get a musty smell from the decaying leaves..   also, leaves would get caught at the hood hinge joint and side fenders at the back of the engine compartment,  they end up accumulating down inside the fender behind the plastic mud flap...    just fucking weird

Yeah, nobody could have predicted that leaves and rain might fall on a truck. Or rodents might look for a cozy nook. :-/

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Foire thet tinny sounde ritte?

First introduced in the early 1950s, Gibson's legendary P-90 single coil pickup produced a raw powerful tone that helped define the blues and rock and roll in their formative years. Today, the P-90's traditional combination of high output and brilliant tone is still considered a favorite among many top musicians. Known by such familiar nicknames as the "Soapbar" and the "Cobalt," the P-90 still cuts through any type of music, all while displaying amazing tonal sensitivity for everything from blues and rock to mellow jazz riffs. It's perfect as a vintage replacement, and features vintage, braided two-conductor wiring. It's also fully wax potted to eliminate any chance of unwanted microphonic feedback.

Options : Black

Supposedly ....Perhaps.... Maybe .... I have a new Toyota Tacoma arriving next week without an addendum sticker on it.   This includes no market pricing on the Toyota sticker.   We shall see...

I ordered a Tacoma work truck many months ago at a very reasonable price that was devoid of any luxury additions.   The new car manager just came clean with his opinion that Toyota is not going to deliver this truck.  His suggestion was to go with either a Tacoma, Tundra or 4Runner that they had on order and Toyota had confirmed was going to be built.   He would then just move my deal over to the new truck.  If this actually happens I will be very happy.   

There is zero opportunity to buy a used or new pickup other than a Ram at a reasonable price. I am not buying a Ram, Jeep or Nissan.  The rest are at outrageous prices.  The advertisements are complete BS for new trucks and SUV's.  I have visited the Dealerships and the story is the same.  A new Fl50, Ranger, Tundra, Tacoma are at Sticker + Market price + Addendum = $$$$.   The demand for new quality vehicles is outrageous and there is NO supply.  

Honda -  I was offered the opportunity to buy a new CRV LX for $40K.  A new HRV sport for $28k

Ford - $50k to get into a V8 F150..... IF a base model could be found. I will not buy anything other than a V8 F150.  

All I want is a basic work truck that is reliable.  This truck is going to get banged up.  The used market is just too much.  My backup plan is to find a Honda CRV with a 2.4L and just wait out this disaster.   Easy to work on, no turbo and they last.  This is 1946- 49 all over again.  I do not believe any of this stuff about supply of new vehicles getting better.  

12 hours ago, Kent H said:

Supposedly ....Perhaps.... Maybe .... I have a new Toyota Tacoma arriving next week without an addendum sticker on it.   This includes no market pricing on the Toyota sticker.   We shall see...

I ordered a Tacoma work truck many months ago at a very reasonable price that was devoid of any luxury additions.   The new car manager just came clean with his opinion that Toyota is not going to deliver this truck.  His suggestion was to go with either a Tacoma, Tundra or 4Runner that they had on order and Toyota had confirmed was going to be built.   He would then just move my deal over to the new truck.  If this actually happens I will be very happy.   

There is zero opportunity to buy a used or new pickup other than a Ram at a reasonable price. I am not buying a Ram, Jeep or Nissan.  The rest are at outrageous prices.  The advertisements are complete BS for new trucks and SUV's.  I have visited the Dealerships and the story is the same.  A new Fl50, Ranger, Tundra, Tacoma are at Sticker + Market price + Addendum = $$$$.   The demand for new quality vehicles is outrageous and there is NO supply.  

Honda -  I was offered the opportunity to buy a new CRV LX for $40K.  A new HRV sport for $28k

Ford - $50k to get into a V8 F150..... IF a base model could be found. I will not buy anything other than a V8 F150.  

All I want is a basic work truck that is reliable.  This truck is going to get banged up.  The used market is just too much.  My backup plan is to find a Honda CRV with a 2.4L and just wait out this disaster.   Easy to work on, no turbo and they last.  This is 1946- 49 all over again.  I do not believe any of this stuff about supply of new vehicles getting better.  

OK, so...  Same.  There are no Colorados, Tacomas or Rangers anywhere to be found.  The adds are wonderful, but once you hit the dealer, well, they aint got none.  We are going to buy the jeep for the agreed upon end of lease price.  Might turn around and flip her if things go further south, but for now, I am 10 K mi under the lease and, well, there just aren't any viable options at this time.   Was going to start looking at the f150's, but again, like you said...  $$$$$$$$$$

6 hours ago, shaggy said:

OK, so...  Same.  There are no Colorados, Tacomas or Rangers anywhere to be found.  The adds are wonderful, but once you hit the dealer, well, they aint got none.  We are going to buy the jeep for the agreed upon end of lease price.  Might turn around and flip her if things go further south, but for now, I am 10 K mi under the lease and, well, there just aren't any viable options at this time.   Was going to start looking at the f150's, but again, like you said...  $$$$$$$$$$

Excellent Plan - You can buy your leased vehicle at any point in the lease.  Get the financing set up after the call to find out what the payoff is.  Not complicated and very smart.  Anyone with a leased car or truck should consider buying that vehicle.  If for some reason they do not need it then yes flip it.  I have looked at hundreds of posts on the internet about the state of car buying and my conclusion is that we are looking at the problem getting worse and then at least two more years before a rather sudden over supply.  THE PAYOFF PRICE IS BASED ON DEPRECIATION WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS FIRST LEASED/BOUGHT.   This is the golden ticket for many people to avoid this mess and at least have transportation. 

What the Toyota dealership was encouraging was for lease customers to just bring their leased vehicle in and go out on the lot as well as look at a list of vehicles showing up in the next two weeks.   Ignore the stickers just find something that they liked.   The dealership would get the payoff, buy the leased vehicle at the stupidly low price and then do a deal.  This gave the dealership a lot of room to do a deal the customer would tolerate.   

The problem is that now customers are putting money down on vehicles that they have on order.  There are next to no new vehicles on the lot.  There are NO vehicles on order that they can sell.  The dealership is not taking deposits until they know for sure a vehicle is being built. 

My Toyota Dealer which has three other dealerships in nearby cities and has a storage lot for new vehicles. This new inventory at the dealership three weeks ago. 

4- higher end Camry's - All slightly odd colors.  I did not ask because these "Camry" were north of $40k !!!!!!!

1 - high end SUV - Sequoia - They would sell this to me at sticker $70k or lease it - 

1 - Corolla hatchback LE automatic - Sticker (22,500) plus  $2000 market fee plus addendum ($2000)  =$26500 + $500 Tax/fee =$27,000   

1- Corolla SE - 6 speed manual - $25k -   Car is black exterior and interior with the thin tires.  They have had this car forever and would sell it at sticker + tax and tag so $25,500.   I seriously thought about this deal. 

That was it.  Nothing else. 

The advertisements, the internet, the special financing are all put together by either the regional or national sales organizations.   This Toyota dealership explained even their internet page isn't set up for this situation.  Yes, they put up and take down used cars but the new stuff is done by Southeast Toyota.  The idea that you can shop on the Internet is complete B.S..   Those prices do not show any charges above sticker. (There are ALOT OF $$$ charges above sticker!!!)  Worse the availability of the vehicle shown is complete BS because it has been sold or a deposit has been put down.   

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Can’t believe no one has suggested the Ridgeline. Many people say it’s the best truck out there.

I could not find any.  Base is listed at $36k and the Ridgeline shows up on Internet searches. However when I showed up at three Honda Dealerships there were not any.   I was offered to put a deposit down on a Ridgeline that was on order.  However the Honda Dealerships were just outlandish on price.  They were upfront about it and there were no deals.   My best guess is sticker plus $12k.   If there is a trade in I suspect that a much better deal can be made.  We could call it the outlandish trade in price to the outlandish new truck price.   So if you have a Toyota, Honda or V8 F150 and you want to trade it in on a Honda Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra, V8 F150  you may walk away not totally defeated.   I would also add the Cummins Ram 2500 and 3500. NOT the Italiano Fiat Diesel Ram 1500. 

Any new Honda that was on the lot was in outlandish land.  The Honda Civic prices were usually sticker + a modest addendum + tax and tag.  I never saw a new model 2022?  A couple of hatchbacks.  Any Honda SUV or the very nice HRV were outrageously expensive without a quality trade in the deal. 

Subaru - I was beyond stupid and walked away from a 5/6 speed manual Subaru Cross? for $24.5k.  It was red!    I was back at a Subaru Dealer and there was only high end cars left.   The fully loaded and special edition models started at maybe $30k and quickly went way up.  

Also I never saw a 2022 model of any higher quality brand.  Toyota, Honda, Mazda.   Supposedly the Kia and Hyundai 2022's are on the lot with their very nice 10 year 100k warranty.   This crap about the new 2022 Ford Maverick, 2022 Toyota Cross, 2022 Tundra just made new car managers roll their eyes.  I did find some nice Ford products that I would have leased if we started at sticker price and I used my credit union against the dealers best lease.   The new Explorer, Mustang, new Escape and new Escape based Bronco sport are all very nice.   They just are not Toyota quality that I want to own.  

I really have no idea if the Toyota Dealership is going to stick to this deal.  I would like to get a Tacoma but I have already upgraded to a more expensive model.  If my original deal is not honored then my back up plan is this. 

- Used Honda Fit - These go for an insane amount of miles.  The drivers seat is a bit uncomfortable.

- Used Honda CRV - 2.4L NOT the Turbo garbage. - Once again a lot of these out there and prices are not bad for under 100k miles.  

- Mazda Miata - Don't laugh.  Prices are good, they go forever and if I need something more go to Uhaul for the day.   I found one at 78k miles in mint shape for $7500.  

My best recommendation is to secure your transportation for the next two years.   Even if chip and other part shortages end the amount of demand is so high that we easily will see high prices for the next two years. 

What is the candyass thinking that if one needs a truck they must buy loaded dent-free waxed luxury??? $50K is crazy. Like I said my Ford F-250 was $4500 plus a few cheap fixes. It is as good as the day it rolled off the lot new: i.e. a piece-of-shit Ford truck. Even with $10 gasoline and the horrendously bad mileage I’ll never get to $50K. The A/C even works for the comfort of the snowflakes. Need a truck? Get a truck. Takes a morning and a few dollars. It not like you are buying a sailboat or something important. Sheesh. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kent H said:

I could not find any.  Base is listed at $36k and the Ridgeline shows up on Internet searches. However when I showed up at three Honda Dealerships there were not any.   I was offered to put a deposit down on a Ridgeline that was on order.  However the Honda Dealerships were just outlandish on price.  They were upfront about it and there were no deals.   My best guess is sticker plus $12k.   If there is a trade in I suspect that a much better deal can be made.  We could call it the outlandish trade in price to the outlandish new truck price.   So if you have a Toyota, Honda or V8 F150 and you want to trade it in on a Honda Ridgeline, Tacoma, Tundra, V8 F150  you may walk away not totally defeated.   I would also add the Cummins Ram 2500 and 3500. NOT the Italiano Fiat Diesel Ram 1500. 

Any new Honda that was on the lot was in outlandish land.  The Honda Civic prices were usually sticker + a modest addendum + tax and tag.  I never saw a new model 2022?  A couple of hatchbacks.  Any Honda SUV or the very nice HRV were outrageously expensive without a quality trade in the deal. 

Subaru - I was beyond stupid and walked away from a 5/6 speed manual Subaru Cross? for $24.5k.  It was red!    I was back at a Subaru Dealer and there was only high end cars left.   The fully loaded and special edition models started at maybe $30k and quickly went way up.  

Also I never saw a 2022 model of any higher quality brand.  Toyota, Honda, Mazda.   Supposedly the Kia and Hyundai 2022's are on the lot with their very nice 10 year 100k warranty.   This crap about the new 2022 Ford Maverick, 2022 Toyota Cross, 2022 Tundra just made new car managers roll their eyes.  I did find some nice Ford products that I would have leased if we started at sticker price and I used my credit union against the dealers best lease.   The new Explorer, Mustang, new Escape and new Escape based Bronco sport are all very nice.   They just are not Toyota quality that I want to own.  

I really have no idea if the Toyota Dealership is going to stick to this deal.  I would like to get a Tacoma but I have already upgraded to a more expensive model.  If my original deal is not honored then my back up plan is this. 

- Used Honda Fit - These go for an insane amount of miles.  The drivers seat is a bit uncomfortable.

- Used Honda CRV - 2.4L NOT the Turbo garbage. - Once again a lot of these out there and prices are not bad for under 100k miles.  

- Mazda Miata - Don't laugh.  Prices are good, they go forever and if I need something more go to Uhaul for the day.   I found one at 78k miles in mint shape for $7500.  

My best recommendation is to secure your transportation for the next two years.   Even if chip and other part shortages end the amount of demand is so high that we easily will see high prices for the next two years. 

"Ridgeline"...you ain't from 'round here are ya?...:lol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grabbler said:

"Ridgeline"...you ain't from 'round here are ya?...:lol:

Yep,   Much worse was going through my head.   At this point the only trucks available to me are Cascadia's.  Hooking up to a flatbed to go to the lumberyard or tow a small boat is just a slight more ridiculous than a Ridgeline.   Perhaps close but at least the Ridgeline is legal for the last two miles to my home.  The Cascadia while perhaps legal at the boat launch is definitely not going to make it to my front porch.  

Hopefully will not matter if the dealer follows through.  I have a great deal because it was done originally four months ago.  The problem with ordering a truck is that either side can back out.  They have a lot of incentive to back out or demand a lot more money. 

3 hours ago, El Borracho said:

What is the candyass thinking that if one needs a truck they must buy loaded dent-free waxed luxury??? $50K is crazy. Like I said my Ford F-250 was $4500 plus a few cheap fixes. It is as good as the day it rolled off the lot new: i.e. a piece-of-shit Ford truck. Even with $10 gasoline and the horrendously bad mileage I’ll never get to $50K. The A/C even works for the comfort of the snowflakes. Need a truck? Get a truck. Takes a morning and a few dollars. It not like you are buying a sailboat or something important. Sheesh. 

I have done this forever and really just want one truck.  I had a Nissan pickup that I paid $5300 for and it lasted 12 years.  Then an E150 5.4 for $2200 that I gutted and that was perfect to tow what I needed or for other work.   At this point I just want one very reliable vehicle.   Today and four years ago are a difference of double the price.   A used truck with rather high mileage and a used Lexus would work.  I just do not want two vehicles.   

My deal is for well below sticker and no BS Addendum.  If the dealership honors the deal I am happy in a new truck.   If not..... Ford truck forum here I come. 

7 hours ago, Kent H said:

I have done this forever and really just want one truck.  I had a Nissan pickup that I paid $5300 for and it lasted 12 years.  Then an E150 5.4 for $2200 that I gutted and that was perfect to tow what I needed or for other work.   At this point I just want one very reliable vehicle.   Today and four years ago are a difference of double the price.   A used truck with rather high mileage and a used Lexus would work.  I just do not want two vehicles.   

My deal is for well below sticker and no BS Addendum.  If the dealership honors the deal I am happy in a new truck.   If not..... Ford truck forum here I come. 

I hear you.  I have a one car garage and do the summer/winter car thing.  Summer is a Lexus that was my brother's and has never met snow or salt.  Winter is a RAV4 that seems to absorb salt.  At some point, I need to dump it and run the Lexus into the ground.  It is nice at times to have two well maintained vehicles.

10 hours ago, El Borracho said:

Too funny.  I bought the truck (tow vehicle) before the boat.  An F-150 with the 302 (5.0 L) and the towing package.  The boat was an F-27 tri and all up was around 4K#, but the windage was brutal.  I probably did close to 10K miles and there was never a moment I thought I had too much truck.  I would get 17mpg without the trailer and 7mpg hooked up.  A good friend had a F-350 diesel and his 7K# boat was forgettable behind .

Scuttlebutt is that the chip shortage is BS.  Its the chip style that the cars use that is out of date, and the manufacturers of the chips just want to do the modern, i.e. no more legacy chips.

Apparently when the auto industry put all orders on hold 2020, the chip manufacturing sector re-tooled.

I got this tidbit from a dubious source, so YMMV

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

coming from the guy who says UF is going to win the SEC this year..

So Kentucky is going to lose three SEC games this year.  Gators will win out.  Ipso facto Gators are SEC champs. 

You know what is crazy?  Predicting a Natty for Clempson.

17 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

So Kentucky is going to lose three SEC games this year.  Gators will win out.  Ipso facto Gators are SEC champs. 

You know what is crazy?  Predicting a Natty for Clempson.

didn't see a prediction from me...   like the guy from floriduh..

Share o