what happened to the "DON'T know shit about tools" thread?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But, he didn't say that in THIS place. If he said it, and I have no way of knowing, it was in PA, which matters nothing to most people. You're confusing places. So yes, he made THIS place more in

I've moderated quite a few websites in my day.  Legally, by allowing speech of certain types on a website, the owner of that website gives tacit acknowledgement that he agrees with them or believes th

aogzPOe_460sv.mp4

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I'm sure it hasn't at all. We run in different circles.

What's interesting is you based your "evidsence" on a supposed statement of someone that your pal JT called a "pathological liar". And when I confronted said person about what you claimed he said, he refused to answer the question and played dumb. We haven't really spoken since.

So...you do you. I know the truth, because I was there.

No matter who you are or which track you are on, running in circles never gets anyone anywhere.

BJ,

Have you considered that scurrilous claims about you by anonymous internet trolls aren't and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone? Kudos to you for being open about your identity on this board but that doesn't change anything in this regard; there's no need to compulsively defend yourself and at a certain point, long since past, you're doing more harm than good to your own reputation by coming across as thin-skinned.

Trolls are gonna troll and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. Taking the bait over and over again isn't helping your cause.

10 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Please don't involve me in name calling and personal attacks. I have no personal issue with BJ, just with his bringing PA to GA, and then insisting that I take his side in an argument about which I have no knowledge, that occured in a place I don't go. 

That "P" word belongs in PA, if even there. 

My horrible, horrrible mistake. Please carry on with calling the Karen drama queen names. 

My sincerest apologies for standing up for this insufferable twatwaffle.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

One of us is attacking, one of us is defending.

Hint: I am not the one keeping this shit going.

Liar. Never in your life have you let someone else have the last word. Prove me wrong.

:D:D:D

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

My horrible, horrrible mistake. Please carry on with calling the Karen drama queen names. 

My sincerest apologies for standing up for this insufferable twatwaffle.

Liar. Never in your life have you let someone else have the last word. Prove me wrong.

:D:D:D

All good mate. I’ve been called a pedo & a rapist here, my wife has been called a prostitute & bar girl. Porker has made up shit about me in this thread. 

Im not going to sook about it, no point

What's "Sook"?

So my better half has a very sophisticated palate (unlike me who has nothing sophisticated) and she can't stand cilantro.  I don't get it - if tacos have onions and cilantro  then we're off to a good start.  Some of the best I have ever had were from construction sites food trucks.

Some folks just have the wrong taste receptors for cilantro. I hear it tastes like soap to them. Fortunately, nobody in my family has the phenotype. I feel sorry for them, cilantro is wonderful. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, quod umbra said:

Oh fak, why can't we just have freakin taco thread...... ???

fi4U

Beet Tacos with Pickled Red Onion & Avocado

2 or 2 Serving Dinner

Beet Tacos

with Pickled Red Onion & Avocado

Tags: High-Protein, Nut-Free

INGREDIENTS

1. 14 oz red beets
  2. 1 tbsp chimichurri spice
  3. 2 tsp turbinado sugar
  4. 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  5. 1 red onion
  6. 1 avocado
  7. 1 lime
  8. 1 zucchini
  9. 6 whole wheat tortillas
  10. ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
  11. ¼ cup vegan sour cream
  12. 1 tbsp vegetable oil*
  13. Salt and pepper*
  14. *Not included
  15. For full ingredient list, see Nutrition
Allergens: Soy, Wheat
Tools: Small saucepan, Baking sheet
SERVINGS
2 2
PREP & COOK TIME
40 min
CALORIES
FAT
31g
CARBOHYDRATES
133g
PROTEIN
22g

View Full Nutrition Label

Share this Recipe:

INSTRUCTIONS

Roast the beets

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the beets and slice into thin wedges, about ½ inch thick. Transfer the beets to a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Pickle the red onions

Combine the chimichurri spice, turbinado sugar, apple cider vinegar, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Peel, halve, and thinly slice the red onion. Add the sliced onion to the boiling liquid and toss well to combine. Reduce the heat to low and let the pickled red onions simmer until you’re ready to serve.

Mash the avocado

Halve the avocado, remove the pit, and add the flesh to a medium bowl. Halve the lime and cut half into wedges. Add the juice from half the lime and a pinch of salt to the avocado and mash well with a fork.

Prepare the zucchini & tortillas

Trim the zucchini and use a peeler to peel thin ribbons. Sprinkle the zucchini ribbons with salt and pepper. Wrap the whole wheat tortillas in foil and place them in the oven to warm, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Build your tacos

Drain the pickled red onions. Lay the warm tortillas on plates and top with a dollop of mashed avocado. Layer on the roasted beets, some pickled red onion, and zucchini ribbons. Top with pumpkin seeds and sour cream. Serve beet tacos with lime wedges. Dig in!

Chipotle Roasted Beet Tacos with Cashew Queso Fresco

June 1, 2015 By Shannon @ Yup, it's Vegan 7 Comments

1.4K shares

With how insanely busy I’ve been with work, I’m trying to find a little bit more balance and get back to stress-free cooking, while still making sure to thoroughly test and vet each recipe that ultimately appears here – the consequence of that being that I’m very very slow-moving with recipe development at the moment. This recipe for chipotle roasted beet tacos has been sitting on the backburner since way back during the winter CSA I subscribed to this year. I hope it’s worth the wait!

I had been on quite the Ethiopian food kick making recipes from the phenomenal Teff Love cookbook, which included an interesting soft fresh “cheese” made from cashews and soy milk, called ayib (as expected, the traditional recipe is not vegan, but Teff Love is an all-vegan cookbook!). The recipe from the cookbook makes a huge batch and it was sitting in the fridge waiting for some love. The CSA had happened to deliver something like two dozen beets to me that week (seriously that’s not an exaggeration), and I had some tortillas on hand as well, so I threw together some tacos and they turned out delicious.

Chipotle Roasted Beet Tacos with Cashew Queso Fresco | yupitsvegan.com. Hearty vegan tacos made with chipotle-marinated roasted beets, fresh salsa, and creamy, tangy cashew cheese.

(P.S. I have this taco holder for anyone who is interested!)

Of course, it wasn’t until just this past week that I ended up with more beets in my fridge and the chance to remake these tacos to confirm that they are in fact blog-worthy. (I’ve also tweaked the ayib recipe a little bit to go in a more tex-mex direction). It has been confirmed. These roasted beet tacos are wonderful. The beets are spicy and have a great bite to them; the cashew queso fresco is creamy and tangy; and the fresh notes from the pico de gallo bring everything together. Cilantro haters don’t fear – these taste just fine without the green stuff all over them (or feel free to use chopped green onions instead).

If it’s too hot to turn on the oven where you are (goodness knows that’s becoming the case here in Baltimore), these tacos would also work with steamed or pan-roasted beets (after cooking, proceed to marinate them per the recipe instructions), although I recommend roasting for the best flavor.

chipotle-roasted-beet-tacos-cashew-queso

Hearty vegan roasted beet tacos made with chipotle-marinated beets and served with creamy cashew fresh "cheese".
Course Main Course
Cuisine gluten-free, Mexican
Keyword roasted beet tacos
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Yield 4 to 6 servings
Calories Per Serving 156 kcal

Ingredients

For the cashew queso fresco (I make this a day ahead):

• 3 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk (the kind made with no ingredients other than soybeans, water, and maybe salt - other milks will not work well)
  • 1/3 cup raw cashew pieces soaked in hot water for at least 3 hours, then drained
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar or other sugar)
  • 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp freshly-ground black pepper (plus more to taste)

For the chipotle-marinated roasted beets:

For the chipotle roasted beet tacos:

• 6 medium tortillas (or 8-10 small tortillas)
  • 1/2 recipe cashew queso fresco (recipe above)
  • chipotle-marinated roasted beets (recipe above)
  • pico de gallo or other chunky salsa of choice
  • fresh cilantro or green onion (optional, for serving)

Instructions

For the cashew queso fresco:

1. In a blender or food processor combine the soy milk and cashew pieces until smooth (I do this with just one cup of the soy milk and add the rest afterward, since my blender is quite small).
  2. Straining through a sieve if necessary, add the mixture to a saucepan along with the sea salt. Stirring occasionally to prevent sticking on the bottom, heat over medium-high heat just until the mixture comes to a boil.
  3. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and quickly (and gently) stir in the lemon juice, rice vinegar, and sugar. The mixture should curdle almost immediately.
  4. Cover the mixture and let it cool completely. Stir in the nutritional yeast (if using) and black pepper. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as desired (I add quite a bit more salt).
  5. Transfer the mixture into a sieve or over a strainer lined with cheesecloth, and place it over a bowl to catch the liquid. Cover and refrigerate, letting drain for at least 2 hours but up to 24 hours.
  6. At this point you can transfer it to a regular container and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrap each of the beets tightly in tinfoil and place them in a glass baking dish.
  2. Roast until tender all the way through, about 60 minutes. Remove the beets from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes.
  3. Unwrap the beets and remove the peels - they should slide off easily. Cut the beets into small cubes and place them in a glass or metal bowl (to avoid staining!). To the bowl, add chipotle pepper, spices, lime juice, and sugar and stir. Add adobo sauce to taste to reach your desired level of spiciness (I used about 1 and 1/2 tb., but I like my food pretty spicy). Add more sugar, lime juice, or salt to taste as well.
  4. Let the beets marinate in the mixture for at least an hour before serving.

1. (Optional) heat your tortillas over medium heat in a dry skillet to warm and soften them.
  2. Spread a generous dollop of cashew queso fresco onto the tortilla, followed by a spoonful of marinated beets. Top with pico de gallo and fresh cilantro.
  3. Enjoy and have napkins ready!

Recipe Notes

You won't hear me tell you that this cashew "queso fresco" tastes exactly like the dairy version, but its delicious all on its own and really fits the bill of a creamy, tangy fresh cheese.

Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce freeze well. Chop up the peppers and stir them back together with the sauce, then freeze in an ice cube tray. Once complete frozen, transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag. They will keep for weeks or even months. I measure out one tablespoon of the mixture into each slot of the ice cube tray so that I already know what the measurement is for recipes.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving (1 taco)
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 36

% Daily Value*
Fat 4g6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Sodium 274mg12%
Potassium 317mg9%
Carbohydrates 23g8%
Fiber 4g17%
Sugar 5g6%
Protein 7g14%

Vitamin C 8.3mg10%
Calcium 30mg3%
Iron 0.9mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Cashew queso fresco adapted from Teff Love. Beet roasting method from Bobby Flay.

Close up of vegan and gluten free, bright and juicy beets marinated in adobo sauce and lime, hot salsa with tomato chunks, cashew and nutritional yeast queso fresco vegan cheese garnished with herbs
hi-im-shannon-250.png

shannon-bio-pic-resized.pngI'm Shannon, founder of Yup, it's Vegan! I'm a morning person based in Baltimore, USA. I create healthy plant-based recipes that everyone will love, using seasonal produce and global inspiration.
Learn More

beet-trans.png
yiv-social-pinterest1.pngyiv-social-twitter2.pngyiv-social-bloglovin3.pngyiv-social-instagram4.pngyiv-social-facebook5.png

Advertisement

Popular Recipes

vegan-wild-rice-soup-square-320x320.jpg chickpea-turmeric-stew-square-320x320.jp Garlic Sesame Noodles - Vegan, Gluten-free, High-Protein! Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip | Yup, it's Vegan Cauliflower Mac and Cheese | Yup, it's Vegan Smashed Avocado Vegan Quesadillas | Yup, it's Vegan

More Popular Recipes

yiv-divider-trans-325.png
beet-trans-backward.png
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Advertisement and Privacy Policy

Advertisement

Autumn Is Coming!

vegan-wild-rice-soup-square-150x150.jpg Savory Sweet Potato Casserole | Yup, it's Vegan Easy Garlic Cauliflower Mash | Yup, it's Vegan curried-cauliflower-chowder-square-150x1 Vegan Sweet Potato Pie | Yup, it's Vegan Walnut Lentil Loaf (Gluten-free) | Yup, it's Vegan

Beet-Tacos-1-1-850x625.jpg

SHARE THIS RECIPE:

wh-social-icon-pinterest.png wh-social-icon-facebook.png wh-social-icon-email.png

RECIPE:
WICKED HEALTHY BEET TACOS

October 20, 2017
PREP TIME: 
COOK TIME: 

Make your next Taco Tuesday red and green and delicious all over with these quick and easy-to-make, beet-based tacos. We are excited to bring you this latest Wicked Healthy recipe that we’ve created with our friends over at Purple Carrot!

Print
  • Yield: 2 1x
Scale

Ingredients

• 12 oz red beets
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 T sherry vinegar, divided
  • 4 oz Lacinato kale, destemmed and leaves roughly chopped
  • 1 red onion (chop one half and thinly slice the other half)
  • 1 avocado, halved
  • 1 jalapeño, trimmed and deseeded (use as much or as little as you’d like depending on your heat preference)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • ¼ cup plant-based mayo
  • fresh cilantro
  • 1 t vegetable oil*
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas

Instructions

STEP ONE | Roast the beets

Preheat oven to 400. Wash, dry, peel, then slice the beets into thin wedges, about 1/2-inch thick. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender. Let slightly cool, then drizzle with one tablespoon of the sherry vinegar.

Beet Tacos Step One

STEP TWO | Prep the veggies

Organize your kale, onion, avocado and jalapeño.

Beet Tacos Step Two

STEP THREE | Make the avocado salsa

Add the chopped portion of the red onion and half of the avocado to a food processor. Add the garlic, plant-based mayo, cilantro, the remaining tablespoon of sherry vinegar and desired amount of jalapeño. Pulse until the desired consistency is achieved. Season with a pinch or two of salt.

Beet Tacos Step Three

STEP FOUR | Cook the kale

Preheat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the kale and saute until just wilted, about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Beet Tacos Step Four

STEP FIVE | Warm the tortillas

Wrap the whole wheat tortillas in foil and warm in the oven for a few minutes. Slice the remaining avocado half.

Beet Tacos Step Five

STEP SIX | Build your tacos

Lay the warmed tortillas on plates and top with a dollop of the avocado salsa, spreading to coat. Layer on the roasted beet, sauteed kale, sliced avocado and sliced red onion. Top with any remaining avocado salsa.

Beet Tacos Step Six

image.gif

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, IStream said:

BJ,

Have you considered that scurrilous claims about you by anonymous internet trolls aren't and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone? Kudos to you for being open about your identity on this board but that doesn't change anything in this regard; there's no need to compulsively defend yourself and at a certain point, long since past, you're doing more harm than good to your own reputation by coming across as thin-skinned.

Trolls are gonna troll and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. Taking the bait over and over again isn't helping your cause.

While you an I both know they're bullshit, who knows what someone else who may be researching me will decide if they turn up in a google search?

-

If someone judges me for being "thin skinned" because I push back someone literally  accuses me of murder, tax fraud, and spouse abuse AND suggests my wife should kill herself if she's not lucky enough to have me die on her soon...

...well, I'm not so sure how much their opinion matters to me.

9 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

While you an I both know they're bullshit, who knows what someone else who may be researching me will decide if they turn up in a google search?

-

If someone judges me for being "thin skinned" because I push back someone literally  accuses me of murder, tax fraud, and spouse abuse AND suggests my wife should kill herself if she's not lucky enough to have me die on her soon...

...well, I'm not so sure how much their opinion matters to me.

Dude, you're gonna give yourself a heart attack.

6 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Please keep your shit straight.

I did NOT start this thread, I was only maligned in it. I intentionally avoided posting in it as long as possible, but I knew the attacks were inevitable as soon as I saw the thread title.

When I replied to you, I was addressing Booth's specific behavior without regard to where it was posted because his behavior was out of line, period.

You were the one that said his behavior towards me was fine as long as he kept it in PA; I took exception to that as I do not find that sort of behavior acceptable anywhere.

Funny how you had nothing to say at all, in a thread that you started, when Two Legged was accusing me of being a woman basher because she badly lost an argument and didn't like it.

I let it go the first time, called her on it when she repeated it, a couple people who know me (and my GF of 20+ years standing) supported my challenge that it was bullshit. She just doubled down and you had nothing to say about it.

So pardon my cynicism about your delicate ego on this when Boothy essentially accused you of the same thing that Two Legged accused me of, with the same amount of evidence - that is, none. Both are full of shit and those sorts of accusations can have real-world consequences.

Yet I didn't go running off to the mods about it. I just moved on.

I'll grant you there is one difference - I don't post under my 'real' name. And shit like that is why. Though pretty much every Australian posting here knows who I am in real life.

Whatevs. My advice, which I'm 100% certain you won't take, is - drop it. Which is what I'm going to do right now.

FKT

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Funny how you had nothing to say at all, in a thread that you started, when Two Legged was accusing me of being a woman basher because she badly lost an argument and didn't like it.

I let it go the first time, called her on it when she repeated it, a couple people who know me (and my GF of 20+ years standing) supported my challenge that it was bullshit. She just doubled down and you had nothing to say about it.

I have no idea what you are talking about. 

7 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

fi4U

Beet Tacos with Pickled Red Onion & Avocado

2 or 2 Serving Dinner

Beet Tacos

with Pickled Red Onion & Avocado

Tags: High-Protein, Nut-Free

INGREDIENTS

1. 14 oz red beets
  2. 1 tbsp chimichurri spice
  3. 2 tsp turbinado sugar
  4. 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  5. 1 red onion
  6. 1 avocado
  7. 1 lime
  8. 1 zucchini
  9. 6 whole wheat tortillas
  10. ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
  11. ¼ cup vegan sour cream
  12. 1 tbsp vegetable oil*
  13. Salt and pepper*
  14. *Not included
  15. For full ingredient list, see Nutrition
Allergens: Soy, Wheat
Tools: Small saucepan, Baking sheet
SERVINGS
2 2
PREP & COOK TIME
40 min
CALORIES
FAT
31g
CARBOHYDRATES
133g
PROTEIN
22g

View Full Nutrition Label

Share this Recipe:

INSTRUCTIONS

Roast the beets

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the beets and slice into thin wedges, about ½ inch thick. Transfer the beets to a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Pickle the red onions

Combine the chimichurri spice, turbinado sugar, apple cider vinegar, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Peel, halve, and thinly slice the red onion. Add the sliced onion to the boiling liquid and toss well to combine. Reduce the heat to low and let the pickled red onions simmer until you’re ready to serve.

Mash the avocado

Halve the avocado, remove the pit, and add the flesh to a medium bowl. Halve the lime and cut half into wedges. Add the juice from half the lime and a pinch of salt to the avocado and mash well with a fork.

Prepare the zucchini & tortillas

Trim the zucchini and use a peeler to peel thin ribbons. Sprinkle the zucchini ribbons with salt and pepper. Wrap the whole wheat tortillas in foil and place them in the oven to warm, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Build your tacos

Drain the pickled red onions. Lay the warm tortillas on plates and top with a dollop of mashed avocado. Layer on the roasted beets, some pickled red onion, and zucchini ribbons. Top with pumpkin seeds and sour cream. Serve beet tacos with lime wedges. Dig in!

June 1, 2015 By Shannon @ Yup, it's Vegan 7 Comments

1.4K shares
  •  

With how insanely busy I’ve been with work, I’m trying to find a little bit more balance and get back to stress-free cooking, while still making sure to thoroughly test and vet each recipe that ultimately appears here – the consequence of that being that I’m very very slow-moving with recipe development at the moment. This recipe for chipotle roasted beet tacos has been sitting on the backburner since way back during the winter CSA I subscribed to this year. I hope it’s worth the wait!

I had been on quite the Ethiopian food kick making recipes from the phenomenal Teff Love cookbook, which included an interesting soft fresh “cheese” made from cashews and soy milk, called ayib (as expected, the traditional recipe is not vegan, but Teff Love is an all-vegan cookbook!). The recipe from the cookbook makes a huge batch and it was sitting in the fridge waiting for some love. The CSA had happened to deliver something like two dozen beets to me that week (seriously that’s not an exaggeration), and I had some tortillas on hand as well, so I threw together some tacos and they turned out delicious.

Chipotle Roasted Beet Tacos with Cashew Queso Fresco | yupitsvegan.com. Hearty vegan tacos made with chipotle-marinated roasted beets, fresh salsa, and creamy, tangy cashew cheese.

(P.S. I have this taco holder for anyone who is interested!)

Of course, it wasn’t until just this past week that I ended up with more beets in my fridge and the chance to remake these tacos to confirm that they are in fact blog-worthy. (I’ve also tweaked the ayib recipe a little bit to go in a more tex-mex direction). It has been confirmed. These roasted beet tacos are wonderful. The beets are spicy and have a great bite to them; the cashew queso fresco is creamy and tangy; and the fresh notes from the pico de gallo bring everything together. Cilantro haters don’t fear – these taste just fine without the green stuff all over them (or feel free to use chopped green onions instead).

If it’s too hot to turn on the oven where you are (goodness knows that’s becoming the case here in Baltimore), these tacos would also work with steamed or pan-roasted beets (after cooking, proceed to marinate them per the recipe instructions), although I recommend roasting for the best flavor.

chipotle-roasted-beet-tacos-cashew-queso

Hearty vegan roasted beet tacos made with chipotle-marinated beets and served with creamy cashew fresh "cheese".

Course Main Course

Cuisine gluten-free, Mexican

Keyword roasted beet tacos

Prep Time 20 minutes

Cook Time 1 hour

Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes

Total Yield 4 to 6 servings

Calories Per Serving 156 kcal

Ingredients

For the cashew queso fresco (I make this a day ahead):

• 3 cups plain, unsweetened soy milk (the kind made with no ingredients other than soybeans, water, and maybe salt - other milks will not work well)
  • 1/3 cup raw cashew pieces soaked in hot water for at least 3 hours, then drained
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar or other sugar)
  • 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp freshly-ground black pepper (plus more to taste)

• 6 medium tortillas (or 8-10 small tortillas)
  • 1/2 recipe cashew queso fresco (recipe above)
  • chipotle-marinated roasted beets (recipe above)
  • pico de gallo or other chunky salsa of choice
  • fresh cilantro or green onion (optional, for serving)

Instructions

For the cashew queso fresco:

1. In a blender or food processor combine the soy milk and cashew pieces until smooth (I do this with just one cup of the soy milk and add the rest afterward, since my blender is quite small).
  2. Straining through a sieve if necessary, add the mixture to a saucepan along with the sea salt. Stirring occasionally to prevent sticking on the bottom, heat over medium-high heat just until the mixture comes to a boil.
  3. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and quickly (and gently) stir in the lemon juice, rice vinegar, and sugar. The mixture should curdle almost immediately.
  4. Cover the mixture and let it cool completely. Stir in the nutritional yeast (if using) and black pepper. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as desired (I add quite a bit more salt).
  5. Transfer the mixture into a sieve or over a strainer lined with cheesecloth, and place it over a bowl to catch the liquid. Cover and refrigerate, letting drain for at least 2 hours but up to 24 hours.
  6. At this point you can transfer it to a regular container and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrap each of the beets tightly in tinfoil and place them in a glass baking dish.
  2. Roast until tender all the way through, about 60 minutes. Remove the beets from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes.
  3. Unwrap the beets and remove the peels - they should slide off easily. Cut the beets into small cubes and place them in a glass or metal bowl (to avoid staining!). To the bowl, add chipotle pepper, spices, lime juice, and sugar and stir. Add adobo sauce to taste to reach your desired level of spiciness (I used about 1 and 1/2 tb., but I like my food pretty spicy). Add more sugar, lime juice, or salt to taste as well.
  4. Let the beets marinate in the mixture for at least an hour before serving.

1. (Optional) heat your tortillas over medium heat in a dry skillet to warm and soften them.
  2. Spread a generous dollop of cashew queso fresco onto the tortilla, followed by a spoonful of marinated beets. Top with pico de gallo and fresh cilantro.
  3. Enjoy and have napkins ready!

Recipe Notes

You won't hear me tell you that this cashew "queso fresco" tastes exactly like the dairy version, but its delicious all on its own and really fits the bill of a creamy, tangy fresh cheese.

Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce freeze well. Chop up the peppers and stir them back together with the sauce, then freeze in an ice cube tray. Once complete frozen, transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag. They will keep for weeks or even months. I measure out one tablespoon of the mixture into each slot of the ice cube tray so that I already know what the measurement is for recipes.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving (1 taco)
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 36

% Daily Value*
Fat 4g6%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Sodium 274mg12%
Potassium 317mg9%
Carbohydrates 23g8%
Fiber 4g17%
Sugar 5g6%
Protein 7g14%

Vitamin C 8.3mg10%
Calcium 30mg3%
Iron 0.9mg5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Cashew queso fresco adapted from Teff Love. Beet roasting method from Bobby Flay.

Close up of vegan and gluten free, bright and juicy beets marinated in adobo sauce and lime, hot salsa with tomato chunks, cashew and nutritional yeast queso fresco vegan cheese garnished with herbs
hi-im-shannon-250.png

shannon-bio-pic-resized.pngI'm Shannon, founder of Yup, it's Vegan! I'm a morning person based in Baltimore, USA. I create healthy plant-based recipes that everyone will love, using seasonal produce and global inspiration.
Learn More

beet-trans.png
yiv-social-pinterest1.pngyiv-social-twitter2.pngyiv-social-bloglovin3.pngyiv-social-instagram4.pngyiv-social-facebook5.png

Advertisement

Popular Recipes

vegan-wild-rice-soup-square-320x320.jpg chickpea-turmeric-stew-square-320x320.jp Garlic Sesame Noodles - Vegan, Gluten-free, High-Protein! Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip | Yup, it's Vegan Cauliflower Mac and Cheese | Yup, it's Vegan Smashed Avocado Vegan Quesadillas | Yup, it's Vegan

More Popular Recipes

yiv-divider-trans-325.png
beet-trans-backward.png
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Advertisement and Privacy Policy

Advertisement

Autumn Is Coming!

vegan-wild-rice-soup-square-150x150.jpg Savory Sweet Potato Casserole | Yup, it's Vegan Easy Garlic Cauliflower Mash | Yup, it's Vegan curried-cauliflower-chowder-square-150x1 Vegan Sweet Potato Pie | Yup, it's Vegan Walnut Lentil Loaf (Gluten-free) | Yup, it's Vegan

Beet-Tacos-1-1-850x625.jpg

SHARE THIS RECIPE:

wh-social-icon-pinterest.png wh-social-icon-facebook.png wh-social-icon-email.png

RECIPE:
WICKED HEALTHY BEET TACOS

October 20, 2017
PREP TIME: 
COOK TIME: 

Make your next Taco Tuesday red and green and delicious all over with these quick and easy-to-make, beet-based tacos. We are excited to bring you this latest Wicked Healthy recipe that we’ve created with our friends over at Purple Carrot!

Print
  • Yield: 2 1x
Scale

Ingredients

• 12 oz red beets
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 T sherry vinegar, divided
  • 4 oz Lacinato kale, destemmed and leaves roughly chopped
  • 1 red onion (chop one half and thinly slice the other half)
  • 1 avocado, halved
  • 1 jalapeño, trimmed and deseeded (use as much or as little as you’d like depending on your heat preference)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • ¼ cup plant-based mayo
  • fresh cilantro
  • 1 t vegetable oil*
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas

Instructions

STEP ONE | Roast the beets

Preheat oven to 400. Wash, dry, peel, then slice the beets into thin wedges, about 1/2-inch thick. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes, or until tender. Let slightly cool, then drizzle with one tablespoon of the sherry vinegar.

Beet Tacos Step One

STEP TWO | Prep the veggies

Organize your kale, onion, avocado and jalapeño.

Beet Tacos Step Two

STEP THREE | Make the avocado salsa

Add the chopped portion of the red onion and half of the avocado to a food processor. Add the garlic, plant-based mayo, cilantro, the remaining tablespoon of sherry vinegar and desired amount of jalapeño. Pulse until the desired consistency is achieved. Season with a pinch or two of salt.

Beet Tacos Step Three

STEP FOUR | Cook the kale

Preheat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the kale and saute until just wilted, about two minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Beet Tacos Step Four

STEP FIVE | Warm the tortillas

Wrap the whole wheat tortillas in foil and warm in the oven for a few minutes. Slice the remaining avocado half.

Beet Tacos Step Five

STEP SIX | Build your tacos

Lay the warmed tortillas on plates and top with a dollop of the avocado salsa, spreading to coat. Layer on the roasted beet, sauteed kale, sliced avocado and sliced red onion. Top with any remaining avocado salsa.

Beet Tacos Step Six

image.gif

If any post ever,  in the history of the interwebs, should be reported to moderators it is this vile, offensive assault on the good character of the humble taco.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and yet, you quoted it...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::rolleyes::);)

Roasted some beets yesterday for salad tonight. Romaine lettuce, Kalamata olives, red onions, pepperchinis, some goat cheese and the beets. A little olive oil and aged balsamic and it’s dinner!! Might toss in a shrimp or two. We’ll see. 

ED5FA609-EDE1-4196-B1AB-EAE0F1DC2BC1.jpeg

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Is there an app where you can order up a drone strike in San Diego?

Like Door Dash or something similar. 

Anybody?

Wait, the Ed's there too..... where's the SA Server located?

19 hours ago, d'ranger said:

So my better half has a very sophisticated palate (unlike me who has nothing sophisticated) and she can't stand cilantro.  I don't get it - if tacos have onions and cilantro  then we're off to a good start.  Some of the best I have ever had were from construction sites food trucks.

Braised buffalo shortrib tacos from Sabroso, just outside of Arroyo Seco, on the road down from Taos SV. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Braised buffalo shortrib tacos from Sabroso, just outside of Arroyo Seco, on the road down from Taos SV. 

There aren't many bad tacos is that area.

BTW we will be passing through in a few days on the return from a road/shopping trip to Chama/Chimayo. Planning on breakfast at Michael's kitchen.

To some people, cilantro tastes like soap (me), to some people it tastes like heaven.

Beets have 2 purposes in life. Borscht, and sugar. Different cultivars, but both still beets.

Crown Van Gelder introduces paper made from Dutch sugar beets - Packaging  Europe

Borscht Recipe with Meat

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Beets have 3 purposes in life. Borscht, and sugar. Different cultivars, but both still beets.

Crown Van Gelder introduces paper made from Dutch sugar beets - Packaging  Europe

Borscht Recipe with Meat

fi4U

3 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

They also turn it into ethanol for fuel, so beets can wreck boat fuel systems and forum threads, among other things.

Then the more beets ya eat the less side effects they can have

On 10/19/2021 at 11:20 PM, IStream said:

Some folks just have the wrong taste receptors for cilantro. I hear it tastes like soap to them. Fortunately, nobody in my family has the phenotype. I feel sorry for them, cilantro is wonderful. 

it is also possible they have the wrong microbiome to support the appreciation.  :-)

• Like 1

What about taste receptors for beets?  To me they taste like dirt.  And I'm not the only one with that perception.  I like borscht, as long as there's enough sour cream and bacon in it, and I can tolerate pickled beets, but plain?  No way.

I do hope this thread gets back on track, you know, quad vs. BJ.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, valis said:

What about taste receptors for beets?  To me they taste like dirt.  And I'm not the only one with that perception.  I like borscht, as long as there's enough sour cream and bacon in it, and I can tolerate pickled beets, but plain?  No way.

I do hope this thread gets back on track, you know, quad vs. BJ.

Raw beets…..no thanks. But roasted or pickled. Yep.

We our playeng into Woodey's  sicke an dimentted psywaropps;

Pickled Beets

Ingredients:

·        8 medium fresh beets

·        1 cup vinegar

·        1/2 cup sugar

·        1-1/2 teaspoons whole cloves

·        1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice

·        1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until tender. Remove from water; cool. Peel beets and slice; place in a bowl and set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice and salt. Bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes. Pour over beets. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. Drain before serving.

:)

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

@DA-WOODY

The English Beat!

Longtime friend and DAGO Local "Nuchie" been their drummer for years