Mark Zuckerberg sails a J80

Geez, I guess he didn’t see my boat for sale in the classifieds. I know he lurks here…maybe it was too big for him.

Not signing into Facebook to watch the video, but I’ll check YouTube later

21 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

LB, your next boat should be called Relentless!

After the shit I had to put up with from that cunt before he got punted I am not giving his sock a free pass. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Good for him. The guy bought a perfectly normal boat and went and had fun sailing. 

I'll give him that.

Not even a roaring Protector alongside.

He has more humility than the average megalomaniac!

13 minutes ago, jhc said:

I'll give him that.

Not even a roaring Protector alongside.

He has more humility than the average megalomaniac!

Yep. I’m not a fan of the guy, but I’ll wish him well if he just wants to go enjoy a day of actual sailing. 

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Geez, I guess he didn’t see my boat for sale in the classifieds. I know he lurks here…maybe it was too big for him.

My next question was going to be, what sock is Zuck using?  :ph34r:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:
7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

My next question was going to be, what sock is Zuck using?  :ph34r:

El Mariachi

• Like 3

Good for him. Best way to learn is in a small boat.

Zenstrom (Skype) has gone about it the other way starting with a Fast 40 custom weapon before trying the J70

1 hour ago, Jambalaya said:

Good for him. Best way to learn is in a small boat.

Zenstrom (Skype) has gone about it the other way starting with a Fast 40 custom weapon before trying the J70

Zenstrom has had multiple Ran’s of varying lengths, much bigger than the 40, like the TP52 and 72.

• Like 2

Interesting that the comments on that video include a reply from the special projects manager for 11th hour racing. Zuck actually answers back and says “you’re the reason we bought this boat”

with Wendy’s gang tapped into him, I could see him getting into more sailing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnotherSailor said:

so shitbook was down because zuckface went sailing. 

That is some true philanthropy! apparently it cost him quite a bit.

Only in funny money.  No one loses money in the stock market until you sell.  :D

I'm not a fan, nor am I on Facebook, but, to his credit, he's obviously OK with getting his ass spanked in the J80 fleet for a while so he's at least open to a dose of humility. I'd say that speaks well of his ego.

• Like 1

This guy's company is the biggest threat to american democracy and possibly democracy world wide, he makes zillions of $$, has very little oversight and you think because he sails a fucking J80 it speaks well of his ego.  get a clue man!!  This is the face of evil with a bad haircut.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, B dock said:

This guy's company is the biggest threat to american democracy and possibly democracy world wide, he makes zillions of $$, has very little oversight and you think because he sails a fucking J80 it speaks well of his ego.  get a clue man!!  This is the face of evil with a bad haircut.

so, you think he's gonna fuck up the fleet?

9 minutes ago, floater said:

so, you think he's gonna fuck up the fleet?

You know he is going to port start barge the whole fleet.  :D

• Like 1

No, he is going to come up with a facebook algorithm that will track your every move on and off the boat then customize electronic billboards to show you targeted ads to you, as you drive, ride or sail by.  Then comes the automatic friend suggestions and pushing you more and more extreme content so that you stay engaged longer and view more ads making him more money.  So will he fuck up the fleet? he already has! but you do not know it because the software is running in the background that you were not informed of or have access too.    welcome to his fucking world, but he has not stopped at that, he currently is developing a completely self immersive online world so you never have leave his control.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, B dock said:

No, he is going to come up with a facebook algorithm that will track your every move on and off the boat then customize electronic billboards to show you targeted ads to you, as you drive, ride or sail by.  Then comes the automatic friend suggestions and pushing you more and more extreme content so that you stay engaged longer and view more ads making him more money.  So will he fuck up the fleet? he already has! but you do not know it because the software is running in the background that you were not informed of or have access too.    welcome to his fucking world, but he has not stopped at that, he currently is developing a completely self immersive online world so you never have leave his control.

Easy solution for your bitching...  Just don't use fuckzuckbook...  

Done

• Like 3

Interesting, and I think it speaks to the fact that fleets like the J/80 and the J/70 are just, well, a lot of fun to sail. You can push them hard and race really competitively, but unlike a Melges 24, you don't have to. You can enjoy a casual race at the local club. Honestly, if he's having fun, that's fantastic! I don't care whether you're the richest man in the world or a half-broke college student, I'm thrilled whenever people are getting involved with sailing and having a good time doing so.

Politically, I'm not a fan of Zuckerberg or Facebook, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sailing. For all I know, he could be a lot of fun to sail with / against. People's professional personality can be very, very different from their recreational personality. I try pretty hard to dislike actions rather than people, since I've had a lot of fun sailing with people who have done some pretty despicable things in their professional lives.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Easy solution for your bitching...  Just don't use fuckzuckbook...  

Done

"Not using Facebook" is not doing enough to stop the cultural damage that FB is doing. It is one on a small list of modern inventions that is ripping our society apart, causing young people emotional strife, and all the while growing this billionaire fuckstick's fortunes. And we apparently are all too dumbstruck to do anything about it.  Fuck that guy - the least people can do is avoid him socially.

11 minutes ago, JM1366 said:

I try pretty hard to dislike actions rather than people, since I've had a lot of fun sailing with people who have done some pretty despicable things in their professional lives.

Sounds too much like "hate the sin but love the sinner" to me.  You own your actions in this world, and they can't be compartmentalized...IMO

16 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

"Not using Facebook" is not doing enough to stop the cultural damage that FB is doing. It is one on a small list of modern inventions that is ripping our society apart, causing young people emotional strife, and all the while growing this billionaire fuckstick's fortunes. And we apparently are all too dumbstruck to do anything about it.  Fuck that guy - the least people can do is avoid him socially.

Sounds too much like "hate the sin but love the sinner" to me.  You own your actions in this world, and they can't be compartmentalized...IMO

Look, I get it, His Morals in the business world are non existent and his platform does alot of bad stuff, but Well, this is not about that.  This is about one of the richest guys on the planet sailing in a beercan series...  We can be happy for him, I mean, I work for an industry that is not looked upon as the most pristine on the planet.  We are HUGE Corporate Giant in the field...  Many Many people that live in this area work there.  I had to check some of my morals at the door to have a career(Yes I am a corporate Wonk) and I think that my fellow sailors do the same and don't give a crap about that at the start.  Zuck might be the nicest skip and the best competitor.  Let it play out and don't bash the guy for having fun...  Now, if he does a port barging start fowls multiple people, hits the committee boat, does not do his circles and just throws $100 bills at the fleet well....  Then we have a problem...  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, B dock said:

So, one of your complaints is he makes a lot of money?

1 hour ago, KeelboltRust said:

What's up with the cross sheeting in the original post photo? Why would you do that when you have crew? Any ideas? I do it when I'm single handed but that just makes it easier to crank on the high side

Its also easier to sheet on the high side when you are not single handed. If the boat is heeled why would you not cross sheet?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

Its also easier to sheet on the high side when you are not single handed. If the boat is heeled why would you not cross sheet?

We always cross sheet on the race boat I crew on, even with 6 of us.  We want the weight up on the high side and not worry about having someone bouncing back down to ease or bring in the sheet.  I kinda like trimming from the high side.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shaggy said:

Look, I get it, His Morals in the business world are non existent and his platform does alot of bad stuff, but Well, this is not about that.  This is about one of the richest guys on the planet sailing in a beercan series...  We can be happy for him, I mean, I work for an industry that is not looked upon as the most pristine on the planet.  We are HUGE Corporate Giant in the field...  Many Many people that live in this area work there.  I had to check some of my morals at the door to have a career(Yes I am a corporate Wonk) and I think that my fellow sailors do the same and don't give a crap about that at the start.  Zuck might be the nicest skip and the best competitor.  Let it play out and don't bash the guy for having fun...  Now, if he does a port barging start fowls multiple people, hits the committee boat, does not do his circles and just throws $100 bills at the fleet well....  Then we have a problem...  

It’s nice knowing some people still get it. As another example, Way back in the day when Larry Ellison showed up for the Chicago Mac with Sayonara I ended up in an elevator with him on the island. The guy was cool as hell and we just talked about the weather we’d run in to. He was pissed we corrected over him. He was just another sailor at that time. He was a genuinely nice guy when we were talking sailing. It probably helped I had no clue who he was at the time. 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Monkey said:

It’s nice knowing some people still get it. As another example, Way back in the day when Larry Ellison showed up for the Chicago Mac with Sayonara I ended up in an elevator with him on the island. The guy was cool as hell and we just talked about the weather we’d run in to. He was pissed we corrected over him. He was just another sailor at that time. He was a genuinely nice guy when we were talking sailing. It probably helped I had no clue who he was at the time. 

Precisely my point.

To be perfectly honest, there are a lot of people who have done a lot of things to hurt other people (in some way or another) in their professional career. I mean, you can't tell me that the team of people who brought the Hummer did a good thing for society. 

suspect that Zuckerberg didn't know that Facebook would take off the way it did. He had an idea, and that idea seemed really good at the time. I'm not saying that he's doing things at Facebook the way he should (clearly he isn't), but trying to figure out the right way to do it is far from simple. The problem at hand is incredibly complicated. 

There are people who open Pandora's box without knowing it, and those people don't always know how to handle the results.

24 minutes ago, JM1366 said:

suspect that Zuckerberg didn't know that Facebook would take off the way it did. He had an idea, and that idea seemed really good at the time. I'm not saying that he's doing things at Facebook the way he should (clearly he isn't), but trying to figure out the right way to do it is far from simple. The problem at hand is incredibly complicated. 

He built Facebook to meet girls.  lol.

Actual teen vs adult teen — 80slove: Anthony Michael Hall in Sixteen Candles

2 hours ago, danstanford said:

The people who spew hate on social media are the problem not the creators of the platform. 

I thick we cane alle adgree on thisse kernal of truthe.  I allso thick the trubellesome parte the persptione that FB does notheng to exstinguishe a sprke/hotspotte, insteade fanns the issues into three alarme fires.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, JohnMB said:

Fair enough!

I guess it's a trade off between not having a sheet to trip over, or being highside. Wonder if my race skipper would consider this setup, would efinitely make it easier to trim when he has us all to windward. 

Any risk of improper forces on the hull?

16 minutes ago, KeelboltRust said:

Any risk of improper forces on the hull?

Nope, the winch base just takes a lateral load from a different direction. Many racers use cross sheeting to keep the meat on the upside.

Just now, Sail4beer said:

Nope, the winch base just takes a lateral load from a different direction. Many racers use cross sheeting to keep the meat on the upside.

TIL! 

I'm going to feel a lot less sketched out about doing this. It's *so* much easier and comfortable to sheet from windward.

11 hours ago, JM1366 said:

No it's not.  All this talk is classic equivocation.  It's the same thing as saying it's fine to hang out with a Russian oligarch who is close to Putin, because really, at the yacht club or in the elevator, he's a cool guy who seems like one of us.  Or accepting a dinner invitation from Muhammed bin Salman because we really don't know the truth about Jamal Kashogghi's murder and the situation is "complicated." Where do you draw the line?  We know Facebook foments cultural divisiveness for profit because we have all seen it.  It is part of what's tearing our fabric apart. France Haugen was front and center about this very thing in Congress this week.  So where do you draw the line personally?  Hell, I'm no bastion of morality but I sure as shit wouldn't share a laugh or a beer with Mark Zuckerberg. 

10 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

He built Facebook to meet girls.  lol.

And turned around and fucked over his partner Eduardo Saverin as soon as he realized its potential.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

We know Facebook foments cultural divisiveness for profit because we have all seen it.  It is part of what's tearing our fabric apart.

Israel, While I totally agree with this statement, and I completely think FB is "hooking" people by playing them physiologically.  Social Media in general, and FB in particular are absolutely part of what is tearing us apart.  That said, I think "we" bear part of the responsibility.  We as a people have decided to use and live our lives on FB.  We as a people have decided we do not need to get our information from a wide variety of sources and perspectives when we can just read more of "what we already feel/think" fed to us by our FB stream.  "We" could decide that the evil's of social media outweigh the benefits, and never start using it/get off it, permanently.  But it is easier to just blame FB than it is to hold ourselves accountable for our share of the responsibility.  

• Like 7

I think these two things are separate

1) Zuckerberg sailing a J80 is cool, good for him

2) Facebook along with other social media has become an unregulated divisive menace which net/net brings more harm than good

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Crash said:

Israel, While I totally agree with this statement, and I completely think FB is "hooking" people by playing them physiologically.  Social Media in general, and FB in particular are absolutely part of what is tearing us apart.  That said, I think "we" bear part of the responsibility.  We as a people have decided to use and live our lives on FB.  We as a people have decided we do not need to get our information from a wide variety of sources and perspectives when we can just read more of "what we already feel/think" fed to us by our FB stream.  "We" could decide that the evil's of social media outweigh the benefits, and never start using it/get off it, permanently.  But it is easier to just blame FB than it is to hold ourselves accountable for our share of the responsibility.  

I hear what you are saying. But let's put the lure of social media in context. You cannot get away from it - social media IS part of the culture, and the main way that young people communicate in many parts of their lives. In that way, it may be harder to separate from than cigarettes or oxycontin. My wife and I observed the transformation as our kids were growing up. Now, as adults, we know it's the way they "live." They may meet their spouses on social media. If you cannot split yourself away from a force that strong and live amongst your peers, and it is potentially harmful to you, then regulation is needed in addition to willpower.  I wouldn't sail or hang out with the Sacklers either. That's a more-extreme version of taking financial advantage of something that's addictive, but you get the idea.

And on top of that, as @Ed Lada notes, Zuckerberg is such a putz, a pud, a poindexter. Sailing wants him as a poster boy?

3 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

My wife and I observed the transformation as our kids were growing up. Now, as adults, we know it's the way they "live." They may meet their spouses on social media.

My kid doesn't, he does not use dating sites apparently and simply detests FuckZukbook.  He is 23..  Personally, TXT or messaging is all I do with the wifie.  I think she has a FB account to fuck with Bobert but that's about it.  She was texting with her friends a bunch in group chats, but not fb or the twit..  So Horses for courses my friend.  Don't paint with such a broad brush...  Is it harmful, yes, do most reasonable adults see it as what it is, yes.  does it need to be regulated, yes...  Do I need to extend the prod and go tbone the zuk on a broad reach because his company is raping our youth of individual thought??  Well that is a discussion for another time.  

19 hours ago, shaggy said:

umm. Priscilla was steering..

39 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Do I need to extend the prod and go tbone the zuk on a broad reach because his company is raping our youth of individual thought??  Well that is a discussion for another time.  

Only if he is port start barging the line.  :D

• Like 1

The issue with social media is a problem that goes so much deeper than just Zuckerberg. Hell, it goes a lot deeper than just FB. 

-Some of the blame goes on how algorithms are written.

-Some of the blame goes on the companies for not managing their platform.

-Some of the blame goes on government regulators who haven't done their job.

-Some of the blame goes on social media users who cause problems.

-Some of the blame goes on the parents of some of those social media users.

-Some of the blame goes on the American education system (and all the people who are responsible for screwing it up).

-Some of the blame goes on the idiots who believe everything they read (arguably an education issue).

-Some of the blame goes on things that don't occur to me at the moment.

Facebook is the biggest problem site, but there are a lot of others (some of which are owned by FB, some are not). The fundamental idea of the technology isn't necessarily the problem.

It's easy to blame Zuckerberg for all of it since he made the most money. I certainly don't like what Zuckerberg has done, but I'm also able to see that he is one small piece of a really big and really complicated puzzle. 

It's exceedingly rare that one person is to blame for a massive problem. They may take a larger percentage than others, but usually there are a lot of other parties involved, all of which share some part of the blame. Painting Zuckerberg as the problem may feel good, but IMO it is a gross oversimplification that distracts us from the reality of the situation.

• Like 3
On 10/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, B dock said:

I am with you Israel.  and JM1366 that is pretty fucked up, by that logic I guess Hitler was a nice guy if he was your head sail trimmer and mixed a mean margarita. Listen to yourself.

This thread has reached a milestone.  Godwin's Law has been satisfied.  Congratulations.  :D

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

This thread has reached a milestone.  Godwins' Law has been satisfied.  Congratulations.  :D

It’s actually gotten to a funny point. There’s one camp that supports the billionaire bucking the system and enjoying learning on a little boat. Then there’s the idiots. They don’t realize that they’re sheep just like EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US on this site. It’s a free service that we enjoy. Sound familiar?

10 hours ago, Monkey said:

There’s one camp that supports the billionaire bucking the system and enjoying learning on a little boat. Then there’s the idiots.

Now here's a man who went to diplomacy school.

14 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:
10 hours ago, Monkey said:

There’s one camp that supports the billionaire bucking the system and enjoying learning on a little boat. Then there’s the idiots.

Now here's a man who went to diplomacy school.

He attendid?  Or juste doore dashe deliverey?                            :)

11 hours ago, Monkey said:

It’s a free service that we enjoy. Sound familiar?

You mean just like FB, where we are the product? 

Go figure.

Scot, you have ruined my life!!! Fucking Editor:angry:

There, I feel vindicated and am going sailing with my phone off!!

For those who may not know:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Godwin’s law is the proposition that the longer an internet argument goes on, the higher the probability becomes that something or someone will be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, Israel Hands said:

They may meet their spouses on social media.

So, your kids like FB, they communicate through FB and they make life long friends through FB yet because of this you hate FB? 

The pity is that Zuckerberg has all the money in the world and little time to enjoy it.  I’ll bet he doesn’t get the opportunity to sail that J70 again this year, whereas some with 0.001% of his wealth could still afford that boat and find time to sail it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bored Stiff said:

So, your kids like FB, they communicate through FB and they make life long friends through FB yet because of this you hate FB? 

Kids on Facebook? Nah, that's where mum and dad hang out to brag.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1030055/facebook-users-united-kingdom/

6 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

…and look up their old BF/GF to try to hook back up on the down low…

Sssshhhhhhh!!!!!    :D

On 10/6/2021 at 1:09 PM, B dock said:

You vote based on what you read on Facebook? You’re the problem. I go on Facebook to see sailing pictures and silly shit my friends are up to. 

• Like 1