What's your favorite bit of sailing tech?

This could be a cam cleat, a mobile phone app, charting software, or really anything that easily separates you from your money in relation to sailing the seven seas. With that said I'll start with something that's free: My favorite compass app is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dahlhof.rsto

Since it's coming up to Winter.... Warm gloves, I can feel ropes with.. Being Diabetic really causes me to feel the cold..

Followed of course by warm boots..

26 minutes ago, The Q said:

Since it's coming up to Winter.... Warm gloves, I can feel ropes with.. Being Diabetic really causes me to feel the cold..

Followed of course by warm boots..

Care to share which gloves those are? I'm hunting for new gloves for frostbite season. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

This could be a cam cleat, a mobile phone app, charting software, or really anything that easily separates you from your money in relation to sailing the seven seas. With that said I'll start with something that's free: My favorite compass app is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dahlhof.rsto

Roller Furling. I doubt I would sail 10% as much as I do if every trip involved folding and bagging sails.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Roller Furling. I doubt I would sail 10% as much as I do if every trip involved folding and bagging sails.

I agree. As a kid we always jadvto feed the main onto the boom. Then rnd of sail dad would get us all folding the sails.

Now I just roll them up. :D

I’m old enough to remember when Moses used to call me sir when he was a little boy.  So, while basic technology as cam cleats, roller furling, GPS chartplotters are really fine additions to sailing but my favorite(s) goes a bit further back.  

First, Dacron.  My aunt and uncle were struggling in their c-boat fleet.  They had sold their old woodie (Friday) which was a very competitive boat in the fleet (when I was very young I watched my father and uncle sweep the fleet two weeks in a row in that boat) and purchased a new fiberglass hull.  She was a dog.  But, they were still using their old cotton sail which had to be very tired.  After a couple of years of loosing and arguing, they sold the fiberglass hull and purchased Gale III, a 1962 wooden Melges hull.  They also purchased a new, sail made of that miracle cloth, Dacron.  It took a bit to get her dialed in but I was aboard as a third crew when she got squared away and finished at the top of the fleet for the first time.  It was a happy time.    

Dacron; Brenda and I still sail with those sails.  We own and use sails of high tech materials, but day in and day out, the sail(s) we put on our boat to enjoy a sail on Caney Creek Lake is made of Dacron

Second, Boom Vang.  How many times, I have used vang sheeting when the wind pipes up.  Yep, you can see photos of my father and uncle sailing thier old E Scow downwind and the the boom is all but pointing skyward.  But for me, sailing downwind makes a vang good, sailing short handed in a breeze makes a vang all but indispensable.

Third, Preventors.  May not be new but sure gives piece of mind.  Sailing downwind in a breeze when the angle is just not right is never a worry.  (Thanks to my little custom made preventer.) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, danstanford said:

Vakaros Atlas. Start line functions, analytic tools for post race review, and true speed from GPS. 

Great tool. 

Difficult to find much information on this, I see a new version is to be released soon. How might you compare it to the ProStart from Velocitek?

2 minutes ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

Difficult to find much information on this, I see a new version is to be released soon. How might you compare it to the ProStart from Velocitek?

I haven't used the ProStart so I cannot compare. The good thing about the Atlas is that it does almost everything you need from compass to tacking angles to tracking shifts plus the exported tracks that it is more than a starting tool. It even tracks heel angle which, when it is this easy, can be a good tool for the helmsman and the main trimmer to keep you going fast. 

I am so sad that the new version was announced right after I got mine that I haven't even looked to see what it does that mine doesn't. 

I heartily endorse the unit and would answer any questions you might have.

Dan 

2 hours ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Care to share which gloves those are? I'm hunting for new gloves for frostbite season. 

The best gloves are made from the pelts of small, cute, white doggies.

How badly do you want warm hands???

2 hours ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Took me a long time to realize that the best gloves are good core layers. Overheat your core and your extremities tend to keep circulation. I go with Atlas Therma Fits for gloves.

1 minute ago, fastyacht said:

One? Only?

oh i'm sure there's plenty. there's one that comes to mind. wish i could mention her name, but she's a litigious bitch. and bat-shit crazy.

9 minutes ago, Editor said:

oh i'm sure there's plenty. there's one that comes to mind. wish i could mention her name, but she's a litigious bitch. and bat-shit crazy.

So there is that chart. Lower right hand corner then?

33 minutes ago, Editor said:

If she's a redhead she sounds perfect.

4 hours ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Years ago I moved to Victoria, where we can sail all year including when the temperature is just at freezing, I was sick and tired of the so called yachting gloves. Once they got wet they were completely useless and the insides became the outsides when I tried to take them off.  So I went to our local commercial fisheries supply store and asked "what do the Alaska crab fishermen wear?"  The answer is heavy duty rubber gloves with polypro liners inside.  These are MUCH better at keeping you dry and warm. And if you get wet you can just swap out the liners with new dry ones.  I bought 2 pairs of the rubber gloves and 4 pairs of the liners for a total of $25.  

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Editor said:

more upper right

Crazy-Hot-Scale-1.jpg

Hahaha, i had my ord and abscissa tother way.

Upper right worth thr ride once or twice but generslly not when you jave significant net worth

4 hours ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

Electric tea kettle 

01FF0093-84FD-480D-BE9A-61E5D072D174.png

30 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Cell phone.  "Honey, I ran aground again and need to wait till the tide..."

Ham radio for same thing. "CQ CQ this is K1ABC on yacht Kamaniwanalaya. Looking for phone patch, over."

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

The best gloves are made from the pelts of small, cute, white doggies.

How badly do you want warm hands???

One more incident and my wife will give me mittens made out of kitty pelts.

2 hours ago, Editor said:

Perfect 

Some would say that a chicken and hot, buttery mashed potato powder is all you ever want or need on a boat. Sails, motor and rudder/rutter are secondary. That’s what Coast Guards are for.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Some would say that a chicken and hot, buttery mashed potato powder is all you ever want or need on a boat. Sails, motor and rudder/rutter are secondary. That’s what Coast Guards are for.

You forgot cheese and sprouts

8 hours ago, Editor said:

there's one in dago. she'll fuck anyone.

Criteria 1  TICK

she's a litigious bitch. and bat-shit crazy.

Criteria  2 One cross, one tick.  How brave/drunk are you?

10 hours ago, Editor said:

there's one in dago. she'll fuck anyone.

I  think Woody may have already been there.  If so, run away!

15 hours ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Best Sellers – Sealskinz, were the last two pairs I had, first I tried the lighter all weather glove, then a few years later the All weather insulated glove. Both are better than anything I'd tried before, the insulated glove is more bulky, but was still useable in open keelboat sailing on a small river where you are tacking every 30 seconds.

I note, having just revistited the site, that they have vastly increased the range of gloves, which will need more investigation.

They are made  in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK not 50 miles from me, but that was not an influence in my purchase, it was purely on cost / benefit..

Quick and dirty podium:

- Gold: GPS
... grew up with RDF, LORAN-A, LORAN-C. GPS was a game-changer, instantaneous AND accurate.

- Silver: Dacron/Nylon
... not so much for the shape, but rather the order of magnitude strength to weight ratio increase.

-Bronze: Laminate structures
... allowed naval architects to explore beyond Archimedean limits in ocean-going sailboats. Boy, did they ever respond !

• Like 1
On 10/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, SloopJonB said:

Fiberglass

My grandfather considered fiberglass (he never owned a fiberglass boat, although he could have) a goddam Communist plot to ruin the sport of sailing.

I propose the follow test to see who prioritizes what advances in technology.

Let's give everyone a standardized boat similar to what I started with... wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

Do you want- better sails, yeah but first let's not fucking sink. And if we can have a somewhat stiffer hull, that'd be real nice too.

Also a way to hold the lines better. No use in having better sails if the increased efficiency just goes into tightening wraps on bronze hardware.

Better lines to be held better, too. No use in having better sails if all they do is stretch your rope.

Maybe extruded aluminum masts would be considered in this Great Leap Forward level of technology.

Now let's talk better sails. Sails that don't pucker up around the tabling, when wet. Sails that don't rot in the bag. Sails that you don't need to carefully (CAREfully!!) iron before a light-air race.......

Are you all beginning to see why I am less excited about doo-dads with little glowing screens, as an indispensable sailing technology.

FB- Doug

55 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Let's give everyone a standardized boat similar to what I started with... wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

The boat I started on was a Shannon one-design, a 1920 design. it had all 4 features: wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

We upgraded ours to braided ropes, but never made the leap to those new-fangled "terylene" sails which are now universal, or to non-horned cleats.

I loved the cotton sails.  They were so gorgeous to handle, much more poetic than the crinkly new stuff.  A jam cleat for the mainsheet would have been nice, but the real biggie was the braided ropes, which were much nicer to handle ... so I reckon my dad had his priorities right.   I think they should bring back the cotton sails.

• Like 3
On 10/6/2021 at 1:59 PM, SloopJonB said:

All (natural) redheads go bat-shit crazy occasionally.

59 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

The boat I started on was a Shannon one-design, a 1920 design. it had all 4 features: wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

We upgraded ours to braided ropes, but never made the leap to those new-fangled "terylene" sails which are now universal, or to non-horned cleats.

I loved the cotton sails.  They were so gorgeous to handle, much more poetic than the crinkly new stuff.  A jam cleat for the mainsheet would have been nice, but the real biggie was the braided ropes, which were much nicer to handle ... so I reckon my dad had his priorities right.   I think they should bring back the cotton sails.

Scoots right along, and looks good doing it.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, 130lights said:
On 10/6/2021 at 6:59 PM, SloopJonB said:

All (natural) redheads go are bat-shit crazy occasionally.

FIFY.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Scoots right along, and looks good doing it.

The Shannon One is a gorgeous boat, and v well-suited to the Shannon.

Gybing them in a blow is interesting.  The Lough Derg yacht club used to like setting courses with a gybe mark near the clubhouse, so that the non-sailors could enjoy the carnage.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That's quite the gene, I'm surprised they haven't bred that out of the species yet.

It dissipates with age.

40 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I suspect you're biased. It doesn't dissipate, it hides.

Not biased at all. It dissipates with age and maturity. And takes the right person to bring it out again.

5 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Gybing them in a blow is interesting.  The Lough Derg yacht club used to like setting courses with a gybe mark near the clubhouse, so that the non-sailors could enjoy the carnage.

Funnily enough our normal gybing point is outside the club house, though our older design Boats have some jib to spread the sail area..

I like that Shannon One design, it would probably do well on our waters..

16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That's a beautiful boat. I'd sail one of those, and only complain a little bit.

;)

FB- Doug

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That's a beautiful boat. I'd sail one of those, and only complain a little bit.

;)

Most of the time upwind, the crew's arses are the gunwale, so it's far from comfortable.  The rounded-deck-level buoyancy tank of a 420/470/505 is much much nicer to sit on.  The beauty of the handmade SOD is a good choice only if you like suffering for beauty :D 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

The original cheap Casio digital watch with a countdown timer on it……..

Yes!  Loved my old Casio, now RIP at the bottom of the lake.  I hate having a big clunky watch.  It gets caught on stuff, kind of like not wearing rings if you work with power tools/machinery.  

Cheap Casio Radio controlled watch, the club uses a radio controlled closed clock, no need to mess around with timers. When the strap breaks it can join all the others keeping the fish awake with my morning alarm clock..

PS still have the habit of removing all watches and jewelry at work, courtesy of spending most of my life working on high voltage high current equipment.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:38 AM, TwoLegged said:

A lap of Goose Island and a blowy southwesterly was always fun to watch. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:43 AM, Mudsailor said:

The original cheap Casio digital watch with a countdown timer on it……..

I remember that soind!   Everybody's alarms going off on the windward leg.