Old VHF worth trying to fix?

Is this old Standard Horizon unit worth trying to fix? Will not turn on, manufacturer wants $70 just to look at it, so along with shipping that's close to $100 without even thinking about any repairs.

IMG_2253.thumb.jpg.13c7038ef7a9fc6a862c1d9c6ea14a98.jpg

If you have an offshore boat, meaning if you could use it as a backup AIS receiver to your new unit that is also a transponder I would say yes. This would give you terrific redundancy.

If you are on the Great Lakes, no and get a Vesper Cortex.

This is a pretty good unit.  It can send your GPS position from your plotter out in a distress call.  It can also send DSC and AIS targets to your plotter, if the plotter is NMEA 0183 capable.

Pull the back off and have a look at the condition of the electronics.  If all seems well, non-corroded, and you have taken the advice above about checking the obvious, look for an internal fuse.  Make sure that you were getting power to the internals - hook it up and check with a voltmeter.  Corroded power connector terminals are an obvious thing to check.

While you are in there fire a little compressed air at the switch/volume control.  That might fix it. 

If there is any corrosion at all present anywhere toss it.  If it looks perfect inside and out, it might be worth it.

• Like 1

I just replaced my old unit with a GX 2400. Rather than spend a hundred bucks (minimum) servicing an old unit I’d add a couple hundred and go new. I find the new display much easier to read.

completly dead are normally an easier fix than intermittent faults

if you have ( access to ) a multi meter .. find where the power stops

A multimeter might not tell you what you need to know.  I was on the verge of replacing a Garmin chartplotter that wouldn't power up, even though my Fluke showed full battery voltage in the cable.  The Garmin service tech suggested that I just replace the cable first to be sure.  When I went to do that, I discovered that there was corrosion in the fuse holder and once I replaced that everything worked fine.  In other words, the voltage was there but not the current to do any work.  Worth checking, given the $$ involved.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Rain Man said:

This is a pretty good unit.  It can send your GPS position from your plotter out in a distress call.  It can also send DSC and AIS targets to your plotter, if the plotter is NMEA 0183 capable.

Pull the back off and have a look at the condition of the electronics.  If all seems well, non-corroded, and you have taken the advice above about checking the obvious, look for an internal fuse.  Make sure that you were getting power to the internals - hook it up and check with a voltmeter.  Corroded power connector terminals are an obvious thing to check.

While you are in there fire a little compressed air  Deoxit at the switch/volume control.  That might fix it. 

If there is any corrosion at all present anywhere toss it.  If it looks perfect inside and out, it might be worth it.

The improvements in radio for VHF are pretty minor at this point, the features and integration with other stuff might be more an issue. 

if you can’t find simple fix, I’d replace with upgraded/upgradable unit with integrated AIS/DSC & multiple handsets 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:06 PM, Orion Jim said:

I just replaced my old unit with a GX 2400. Rather than spend a hundred bucks (minimum) servicing an old unit I’d add a couple hundred and go new. I find the new display much easier to read.

Me too. Had a GX 2200 on the old boat, put a GX 2400 on the new boat with the RAM4 remote mic.

In terms of a coupla Benjamins extra over fixing the old one you get lots more features. N2K, GPS, more features on the remote mic, etc.

6 hours ago, gptyk said:

Me too. Had a GX 2200 on the old boat, put a GX 2400 on the new boat with the RAM4 remote mic.

In terms of a coupla Benjamins extra over fixing the old one you get lots more features. N2K, GPS, more features on the remote mic, etc.

If the OP already has N2K this is good advice - less messing around with wiring than with 0183.  However, if changing the radio also ends up meaning that an N2K network needs to be created, it is important to note that there are a few hundred more Benjamins to come up with to establish that network.

9 hours ago, Rain Man said:

If the OP already has N2K this is good advice - less messing around with wiring than with 0183.  However, if changing the radio also ends up meaning that an N2K network needs to be created, it is important to note that there are a few hundred more Benjamins to come up with to establish that network.

Yup. But the GX 2400 has NMEA 0183 too. So Orion Jim's and my matching advice still stands. And because the 2400 has a built-in GPS, the AIS functions work without being tied to any network. 

Comes down to ~$100+ to maybe fix an old one or some amount of $$$ to have shiny and new.

Plus when a N2K network is installed because those old Raymarine ST-60s finally gave up the ghost, at least one device won't need to be upgraded. (My precise situation)

(* I'm plugging the GX 2400 because I have one. I'm certain there's other brands that are just as good)

Thanks again. I'm leaning to a new unit. Opening the old one revealed no corrosion, but also no obvious fuse, at least to me, and replacing the on/off knob looks complicated (the unit does not power on and the knob does not click as it is turned on the way it use to). Plus on closer inspection the screen is all bubbled up.

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Thanks again. I'm leaning to a new unit. Opening the old one revealed no corrosion, but also no obvious fuse, at least to me, and replacing the on/off knob looks complicated (the unit does not power on and the knob does not click as it is turned on the way it use to). Plus on closer inspection the screen is all bubbled up.

In engineering terms that's known as "fucked".

On 10/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, TheDragon said:

Good call.  As of today you can get a new Standard Horizon GX1400 with similar features for $120 at Defender, new unit with a warranty.  At those sorts of prices it isn't worth screwing around with a repair on an older unit unless you're doing it for the experience or are one of those people who develops a personal relationship with your radio.